or Register now!
Please support NoGripRacing, our monthly server bill is $595
Donated this month: $25
AL Rain FX
|Size||2.21 MB ( 2322544 bytes )
|Added||8:56pm, 3rd June 2017
Improved rain, rainspray, and windscreen effects.
Please Login to download this file
ArmedLightning's Rain FX v1.6
Once upon a time... I played lot of time GTR 2, one thing that bugged me was
the terrible windscreen rain effect. Long ago I tried my hand at doing something
about it. The initial release was experimental and I was just learning to work in
Photoshop CS3. Those versions are included in case someone prefers that style.
Unfortunately, the game is limited to 10 frames of animation for the windscreen
rain effect. This makes it extremely difficult to construct a decent facsimile
of the real thing. The latest incarnation is a compromise largely based on real
world observation that I've tried to replicate to the best of my ability. I'd
also recommend checking out "HQ Rain" by GTR233 as it's also quite good (allows
you to mix and match parts). With that being said, on to the details!
- Version 1 (Initial release)
- Version 2 (Re-scaled vanilla assets)
- Version 3 (Final Release)
- Style 1: Individial droplets added giving the illusion of heavier rain.
- Style 2: Re-scaled/tweaked vanilla asset.
- Style 3: Aggressive effect, some will love it, others will hate it!
- Hard Edge: More defined, aggressive spray pattern. Light & Heavy variants
affect opacity of spray.
- Soft Edge: Threshold blur, perlin noise added. Light & Heavy variants
affect opacity of spray.
My personal preferences are included in the standard 'GameData' folder.
Furthermore, expect some clipping of the rainspray texture while utilizing the
cockpit view. This is an issue inherent to the vanilla game. The heavier the
spray, the more noticeable the clipping. I've tried to strike a balance between
density and transparency. Multiple versions of 'RAINSPRAY.DDS' are included
depending on your tastes. Otherwise, try utilizing the 'RAINSPRAY.DDS' included
in "HQ RAIN" by GTR233. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone but I've
tried to afford a degree of flexiblity by including different options for the
different effects. Lastly, I've packaged the windscreen resource files I used
to build the alpha channel in hopes it might lend some ideas to a talented
artist. This will likely be the final version. Thanks to everyone who gave
feedback and has endured the onslaught of updates!
1) Copy the [GameData] folder to your GTR 2 installation.
2) Copy one of the optional "RAINDROP.DDS" or "RAINSPRAY.DDS" files to the
- v1.6 Re-build of RAINSPRAY.DDS and available options. Cleaned out early
RAINDROP.DDS textures that just plain looked bad and added two new
versions (Style 1, Style2).
- v1.5 Tweaked RAINSPRAY.DDS texture
- v1.4 New animation built from scratch
- v1.3 Re-scaled vanilla animation
- v1.2 Repackaged both normal and inverted versions
- v1.1 Inverted textures based on feedback
- v1.0 Initial Release
Addon vehicles may not render the 'RAIN_ANIM' texture at the proper size or
opacity (an issue in PnG3). This can be corrected by editing material properties
in 3DSimED3 or other similar software. Opacity is assuming diffuse, ambient,
specular, and emmisive RGB are using the standard GTR2 values. Model makers,
please keep this in mind if you are considering compatiblity.
Contents may be used freely in other works. However, if you'd like to give
credit, I'm totally okay with that!
Version History [hide]
||8:56pm, 3rd June 2017
||1:09am, 31st May 2017
||10:48pm, 29th May 2017
||1:26am, 19th May 2017
||6:11pm, 4th January 2015
||6:51pm, 23rd November 2014
||5:26pm, 22nd November 2014
|82 members have left thanks.||
, axel linther
, bad bones
, bob gnarley
, Chico Landi
, FER BEL
, rit 15
, rudy pessotto
, Salvador Torres
, Vil coyote