View Full Version : Whats the best USB wireless dongle for PCs
7 March 11, 18:45
I keep on getting disconnected from my router, my wife's PC is connected via USB cable and has no trouble, my PS3 is wirelessly connected and has no connection issues. So I'm thinking it's my cheapo USB dongle. I need a replacement so what ones do people recommend? I'm in the UK so would prefer ones easier to source in the UK primarily.
7 March 11, 19:20
if I get it right u'r wife's pc is connected to internet via USB dongle?
thse dongles usually brake down... I had 3 of em broken allready... not buying no more..
best to do is a wired connection...
If your using a pc, its best to use a pci card....
• 802.11g industry standard.
• Uses popular 2.4GHz frequency band.
• Up to 108Mbps network data transfer rate, 10 times faster than 802.11b.
• Strong 64/128-bit WEP data encryption security.
• Compatible with existing 802.11b, 802.11b+ wireless devices.
• Advanced security with WPA, 802.1x authentication, TKIP and Pre-Shared Key function support.
• Powerful integrated antenna provides 100-meter indoors, 400- meter operation range.
• Easy configuration, plug-and-play installation.
Dlink enable you to remove the arial and replace it with a stronger one, for example...
• Complies to IEEE 802.11b/g
• 2.4GHz standard
• 5dBi peak gain
• Expands wireless operation
• Range to 360 degrees coverage
• Antenna angle can be adjusted for best signal transmission/ reception
• RP-SMA plug connector
• RP-SMA to RP-TNC adapter provided
• Easy installation
I used Dlink for pci wireless connection with this arial, an never had a drop signal once...
As far as usb dongles go, I have had friends use them, only to see them throw them across the room due to them been crap.
7 March 11, 21:16
Maybe look at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=46&catid=1604, if being Wireless is important to you then go for the Wireless ones, if you want best speed\stability then go for Hardwired ones.
Are your computers Laptops or Desktops?
What make\model is the Router?
What make\model are the Dongles?
If you're on VirginMedia Cable then USB Connection to the modem is Crap, change to CAT5\6 Cable.
7 March 11, 22:38
4 port router for mine.
If that is impractical for you do what Alpha says, NIC and get rid of the USB stuff.
I make my own CAT its easy and cheap. :)
Home handyman, put a few walls sockets.
8 March 11, 13:51
Thanks for the replies!!
ah, So wireless dongles are crap. Realised I don't HAVE to be wireless, just used the Ethernet cable from my xb360 into my PC and instant connection and online D.oh. So all i need is another cable to get my xb back online. I'll pop into my local PC shop and get a new cable.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.