View Full Version : GTR2 Still Locking Up, CTDs, Etc...
12 November 06, 19:29
I'm at my wit's end with this piece of software. If checked and re-checked hardware, drivers, power supply etc... Re-installed the OS. Tried backing all in game settings to minimum, etc...
As I have posted before, no other games I run have any troubles on my system.
Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters... OK
Red Orchestra... OK
Silent Hunter III... OK
Far Cry... OK
Of the 6 guys a regularly race with, 3 are having similar troubles.
I'm really desperate here. I love the game, but it has some stability issue somewhere.
Is there an English language official forum for the game?
Any game patches coming?
12 November 06, 19:56
Have you any add-ons installed?
I have similar problems sometimes,
12 November 06, 23:53
No, no add ons.
My friends and I have been playing for a couple of weeks now and have found a list of problems that are genuine show stoppers.
I'm beginning to wonder if the release candidate was even Beta tested.
13 November 06, 08:58
Have you tried running it in 'windowed' mode this worked for me.
13 November 06, 09:32
Well the game is ultra stable for others.
I had it running for 6 hours straight yesterday without an issue, so there is something about your setup thats causing the issue.
You said you reinstalled the OS but thats no good if you reinstall all the same software again.
1. can you post the spec of the machine, cpu/graphics/mem/soundcard etc.
2. can you post the version of the graphics and sound drivers.
3. can you indicate if there any pattern does it usually take an hour or 2 to happen or has it ever happened within a minute of opening the game.
4. Try the suggestion to use windowed mode.
5. Dissable background applications, especially things like xfire, teamspeak-overlay, fraps. Only anti-virus should be running. (you can temporarily do this with msconfig. click start run, type msconfig and hit enter, go to the startup tab and uncheck all the programs, click apply, and when you reboot they are all temporaily turned off, if you want them on again, go back into msconfig and turn them on again.
6. This game uses a lot more cpu time then most of those other games you mentioned, do you know what temps your cpu hits when it crashes.
7. Run memtest86 fully, I know it takes ages, but bad memory is a huge factor, if your too lazy to test the mem, swap it out or try one stick at a time(its unlikely both are bad so if it works with one and not the other you know which dimm is the issue)
13 November 06, 12:38
Thanks for the responses.
I may have stumbled across my problem. On a hunch I set the screen resolution of Red Orchestra to 1280x1024, the same as I was running GTR2 at, and it crashed almost immediately in the same way as GTR2 does. As it was late and my MOMO was acting up I went to bed. I will see what happens tonight.
ABIT IC7 mobo.
Intel 800fsb P4 3gig. running at stock timing in dual channel mode.
2gig Mushkin Level 1 Black PC3200 DDR ram.
Gainward Golden Sample Nvidia 6800GT, not overcocked. running the older and far more stable 81.98 driver. (I have tried the latest driver with no success and it ruined the IL2 flight sim).
Audigy 2 with latest driver.
ViewSonic G90f 19" CRT Monitor at 85hz refresh rate.
13 November 06, 14:17
ABIT IC7 mobo.
Gainward Golden Sample Nvidia 6800GT, not overcocked. running the older and far more stable 81.98 driver. (I have tried the latest driver
So you have an AGP 6800GT, I have a freind who had one, they are known for having overheat issues. Usually only happens with HDR games or sometimes with a lot of anti aliasing. Apparently there where a bunch of 6800's with that issue, for him he could not play fear for more that 10 mins without it crashing.
If the temp on the card is good the only other thing to check is the powersupply. The 6800GT sucks it up and I heard some manufactures advise 450Watt is not enough, so a good quality 520Watt would seem to be a must have for that card especially in a P4 system.
Sorry for all the 6800 owners but these cards have issues
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.