NoGripRacing Forums

NoGripRacing Forums (http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/index.php)
-   iRacing (http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   The No Grip iRacing Lounge (http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168745)

ellis 22 October 09 14:19

Expenses don't really work like that though. Expenses also include sending the staff there, and the equipment, and post-scanning work. That doesn't go up at the same rate as the milage to scan does.

Jack B 22 October 09 14:28

[QUOTE=ellis;884587]

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...sport1-800.jpg

The detail on that curbing is flat out awesome. :-)

Roush9 22 October 09 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empty Box (Post 884488)
I've noticed one thing about this car. Raw speed means zip.

3 races (2 DNF's due to someone else, one 4th, my second DNF was a sure fire 3rd (Wrecked with 4 to go, I was faster and around the guy, he locks up in sunset and tbones me). Both races have been remarkably slow (And it is the top split), all except the last race had the winners average in around the 1.59.3 zone, which is around where I can get to.

I'm on a 58.9 race lap in traffic (as in the guy infront of me nearly spun coming out of Tower). Still not used to this car, I keep braking early (Even though I outbrake most :laugh:) Still a good chunk of time, just have to man up!

raw speed means everything if you qualify up front and run away from the nubs who self spin all the time.

Jack B 22 October 09 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellis (Post 884717)
Done some searching on the forums, and I was wrong. It is around a $100,000 for a small circuit apparently.

Here is how the costs could end up being $100,000. However, just labor cost and the amortization of the equipment would be far less than $100,000 even with airfare, hotels ect.

A 3 man crew for a week would be paid maybe $4,000 or so. Airfare $3,000 for Europe, hotel maybe $3000, food etc might be another $1,200. This are all subject to change depending on local etc, but those costs add up to about $12,000. You may need to add in another $3,000 or so for local police help or what not to divert traffic.

Add in amortization of the loan or depreciation for the cost of the $100,000 scanner across the 40 tracks of so already scanned and it's another $1,000 or so.

Licensing could make up the rest of the $100,000, but that would be $85,000. I don't know what licensing costs might be, but that's a scenario that adds up to $100,000.

Thus, The Ring might work. In the example above the bulk of the cost would be in licensing, not labor, so the length of the track wouldn't be the biggest factor.

If iRacing needed track purchases to break even for a track they might need 50 track purchases per $1,000 at $20 a track. That's 5,000 track purchases to hit $100,000.

Indy may have sold over 5000 copies, but not too many other tracks. Daytona probably did though. Over time I think they'll hit 5,000 purchases on many if not all tracks, but it may take a while. Although, they might not need to break even on track purchases, since they have some subscription revenue in their business model too.

I think the Ring is definitely possible. It would easily sell 5,000 copies. :-)

[R24-7]Bazza 22 October 09 15:23

i think iracing really lacks the worlds great cicuits at the moment, i understand the north american bias towards tracks and im not complaining, since some we have already are fantastic. (i love infenion, birmingham and laguna)

I think once more of the worlds top circuits are included iracings global reach could really evolve. and i would love to see that. this sim has so much potential in my eyes it can only get better.

Jack B 22 October 09 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by [R24-7]Bazza (Post 884965)
i think iracing really lacks the worlds great cicuits at the moment, i understand the north american bias towards tracks and im not complaining, since some we have already are fantastic. (i love infenion, birmingham and laguna)

I think once more of the worlds top circuits are included iracings global reach could really evolve. and i would love to see that. this sim has so much potential in my eyes it can only get better.

I imagine in 2010 they'll start to knock more of those out. Last year they had Silverstone and that was it. This year they've announced Oulton, Brands Hatch, Phillips Island and Zandvoort. I'm guessing a bunch more international tracks will be announced in 2010.

It made sense, because of the physical track scanning process to start close to home first, but they're moving across both ponds now though. :-)

moppenheimer 22 October 09 15:55

I'd like to see them get a European club racer.....like a Clio Cup car or something similar

moppenheimer 22 October 09 21:41

Started the day at Road Sr 1.47, by 4:00pm it was was up to 1.95........and was about to save my self from demotion, until some douchebag in the solstice decides he can't win fair, so he stays on the throttle and cuts the andretti hairpin, sending me flipping across the sand....it actually scared me at first becase i was already setting up for the 2nd apex and he drilled me.....needless to say i protested him, popping my protest cherry as i decided i would only protest for clear cut intentional wrecks and hadn't had one yet......

Road Sr is 1.77, i'll get it up by week's end though, and IR is 1130! pretty good considering it was 777 yesterday....

Empty Box 22 October 09 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by moppenheimer (Post 884995)
I'd like to see them get a European club racer.....like a Clio Cup car or something similar

No. Just no.

Lotus. Exige. Cup. 260. Heck, even a standard Exige would be brilliant. Honestly, that would be perfect for iRacing and the Gt route they seem to be going. Something that isn't a balls out race car, but is close enough to make you learn something.

Regarding tracks, well... The third best track in the world is already there (That still exists), Road America, and with another good one in Mosport on the way. The problem with the Euro circuits is either A) The good ones are gone, or have been changed, such as Hockenheim, B) Have next to nothing to do with cars we have (Such as why would we need Phillip Island if we didn't have a V8? It's a great track yes, but to just scan it for the heck of it... I dunno) C) Too freakin epic. Obviously Nords or Le Mans would take ages, even something like Spa would still take ages, and be very costly to boot. Not to even mention track licensing and the likes.

Plus, what we do have now are tracks that have been unloved for far to long. Where was the last semi decent VIR? Maybe F1C if you consider that decent, but again, no where near the quality. Driving around Spa and Monza are flat boring anymore. Atleast it's something new. Still waiting on Miller also....

I'm not sure yet though on what to pick up at the start of the season. I have not a clue yet still what I plan on running. Want to run the Vette, but the second half of the season will kill me money wise. Want to pick up Mosport also, but it's not being used (Except Wk13 with the Vette, just to complicate the predicament), then there is the Radical.......

TO MANY CHOICES!

moppenheimer 22 October 09 23:14

We're getting a V8 Matt.....that's why we're getting Phillip Island

Empty Box 22 October 09 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by moppenheimer (Post 885423)
We're getting a V8 Matt.....that's why we're getting Phillip Island

Exactly Mike. But without a V8, why would we need a track that isn't run in nary a series currently in iRacing? You know what I'm getting at with this, right?

It's just like why isn't there a Rally track, well, we don't have a rally car, do we? I'm not saying it couldn't be done without a car that runs there, but it would be odd to scan a track that isn't used at all by ANY of the cars (Barring perhaps a guy who owns a Radical running at Phillip Island - which doesn't count!)

moppenheimer 22 October 09 23:33

Ah, ok i misunderstood.......though the Lotus could run there as well

ellis 22 October 09 23:51

To be fair, we also have Silverstone, which doesn't suit any car except the Radical (and soon the Corvette, since LMS runs there).

Sometimes the content immediatly slots into iRacing as it was badly needed. Sometimes iRacing needs to grow into the content. But Phillip island makes the first Australia circuit (of hopefully many) and the V8 should be around the same time as the circuit.

993C2 23 October 09 05:42

I only have about 10 practice laps in using the Formula Mazda @ Sebring, but wow what a great car. As usual I have my work cut out towards getting faster laps in compared to the aliens and aliens in waiting. But I find this car easier to drive than the Skip Barber at the same track. Of course rumor has it this car does not like having it's tires touch the curbs, so I have been some what cautious in that regard. But the Skip Barber doesn't like many curbs either. I will continue to drive the Skip Barber because I think it will help me become a better driver, but I think I have a new favorite racing series in iRacing. :thumbup:

Jack B 23 October 09 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 993C2 (Post 885613)
I only have about 10 practice laps in using the Formula Mazda @ Sebring, but wow what a great car. As usual I have my work cut out towards getting faster laps in compared to the aliens and aliens in waiting. But I find this car easier to drive than the Skip Barber at the same track. Of course rumor has it this car does not like having it's tires touch the curbs, so I have been some what cautious in that regard. But the Skip Barber doesn't like many curbs either. I will continue to drive the Skip Barber because I think it will help me become a better driver, but I think I have a new favorite racing series in iRacing. :thumbup:

Yeah, the Mazda series is close, competitive racing. Tough to run with the aliens, but with drivers of reasonable speed it's some very close and intense racing.

In season 4 the Mazda will be the test series for the new tire model, so that could make it even better. We'll see. :-)

Lot's of tough choices next season. Indy, Vette, Mazda...

[R24-7]Bazza 23 October 09 06:41

If we are suggesting GT stepping stone series, i think we should be looking for the 911 Supercup to be included. The cars are fast a challenge to drive and would would work with many of the tracks already included.

Has the added bonus of possible mixed field racing with the C6R (although slower) also....

moppenheimer 23 October 09 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by [R24-7]Bazza (Post 885635)
If we are suggesting GT stepping stone series, i think we should be looking for the 911 Supercup to be included. The cars are fast a challenge to drive and would would work with many of the tracks already included.

Has the added bonus of possible mixed field racing with the C6R (although slower) also....

The only problem is Porsche doesn't like giving their liscenses to small-er companies with niche markets.....hence the lack of porsche in any simbin title since gtr2.....im not sure if iracing would justify the cost of getting the rights either, especially when there are tons of other similar cars they could get and scan much cheaper

ellis 23 October 09 10:36

Just FYI, the V8 Supercar is the next car in-line.

moppenheimer 23 October 09 13:56

Got above 2.0 on the road side, so i'll still be a B next season

moppenheimer 23 October 09 15:58

Preorder of C6r, Dallara, and Mosport now available

Roush9 23 October 09 15:58

just pre-ordered mosport and the c6-r, gonna be buying a ton of tracks next week or whenever my money gets put into paypal.

Empty Box 23 October 09 16:42

From the car's page. ----ooops, didn't see Moppy had posted it in the gallery.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/132...screenfull.jpg

Picked up the Vette, Mosport, and VIR. Wasn't planning on it, but, well, My SR is at like 4.96 and going up, so I think I'll get to C4.0 PDQ in week 1.

Roush9 24 October 09 23:14

gotta get some racing in tonight

Empty Box 24 October 09 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roush9 (Post 887589)
gotta get some racing in tonight

I hope to do the same, just watching the Football game (It's more important) - so hopefully it'll become a blowout (In which we win) fairly quickly!

:laugh:

Also had a quick romp in rF around Mosport, before iRacing ruins every version before theirs, must say, my interest is peaked. :thumbup:

Roush9 25 October 09 00:39

7PM Mazda race, maybe. Trying to get the 6:45 Impala B race going but doesn't look like it's gonna get enough for an official. Will post if it doesn't.

Empty Box 25 October 09 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roush9 (Post 887695)
7PM Mazda race, maybe. Trying to get the 6:45 Impala B race going but doesn't look like it's gonna get enough for an official. Will post if it doesn't.

Meh. I won't make it. 3-3 tie at Halftime, bout to start up again. Maybe the 10 (or 9 to you) race?

Roush9 25 October 09 00:43

sounds like a plan cause the impala race is gonna get enough for an official

Empty Box 25 October 09 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roush9 (Post 887699)
sounds like a plan cause the impala race is gonna get enough for an official

Sounds good.

Roush9 25 October 09 02:08

man after that race, i think i needa go lay down for a nap. Beatin and bangin pretty much the whole race.

Roush9 25 October 09 03:47

I can't believe I f***ing did that. First half of the race was crap, couldn't hit my marks for the life of me. second half was going about as smooth as it could go, battling for 4th and I turn in too soon, catch the f***ing curb and into the tires I go. Destroying the right side. First mazda race will for sure be my last.

Empty Box 25 October 09 03:54

Rofl. BTW, I beat you. :p

That race just sucked. I swear my pedals were flucked up, it seemed like I was either no throttle or full throttle, no in between. Coming out of the hairpin that Felipe guy nearly ran me over as my car just didnt want to go. Guess I get to open em up and do the tape mod yet again. Hooray.

I think that was the worst Mazda race I've been in yet. Could be that I was about a second slower or so, but the people I was racing with before I spun (Twice?) were jackasses. They kept sticking their car into areas where you can't pass (Such as T2 and Cunningham). Race sucked, still came away with a 5th after you and that Felipe guy infront of me Retired, so not a total loss.

Roush9 25 October 09 03:56

I was looking at getting a top 5, a chunk of SR and iRating. Bring on the C6R, until thats released I'm gonna be doing Time trials.

Empty Box 25 October 09 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roush9 (Post 887807)
I was looking at getting a top 5, a chunk of SR and iRating. Bring on the C6R, until thats released I'm gonna be doing Time trials.

Well you only lost like 5 iRating points anyways, no real loss.

993C2 25 October 09 05:32

I never really noticed it too much with the Skip Barber,
but Sebring is bumpy as shit with the Star Mazda. :laugh:

Empty Box 25 October 09 05:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 993C2 (Post 887831)

Everyone says the same, I don't notice em to much, then again I use em to turn the car rather than avoid them. Once you know where they are it isn't to bad. Theres a line coming out of Sunset where there is a bump, I always straighten the wheel at that point to avoid going psycho.

Jack B 25 October 09 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by 993C2 (Post 887831)

Yep, turn 17 is very bumpy....

Here's the Wikipedia article. It used to be an Air Force Training Base. Skip Barber is setup there and if you've ever read Skip Barber Going Faster they have an entire chapter dedicated to Sebring with timings, telemetry data etc, talking about every turn and how to squeeze out those extra tenths of a second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebring...tional_Raceway

Here's what they say about turn 17 and the track in general....

==========

The track will often be recognized for its famous, high-speed "Turn 17", a long, bumpy, fast right hander that can make or break a car's speed down the front straight. The corner can fit up to 3 cars wide.

Sebring is renowned for its rough surface. The course still runs on old sections of World War II-era landing fields that were constructed of concrete sections with large seams. The transitions between sections are quite rough and often, sparks fly from the undercarriages of the cars as they traverse them. Much of the track has intentionally been left with its original concrete runway surface. The track surface has 3.0 miles (4.8 km) of asphalt and 0.7 miles (1.1 km) of concrete.[7]

=============

I guess the Skippy with it's soft suspension isn't effected as much as the Mazda. :-) Although, even in the Skippy turn 17 is pretty tricky. Laser scanning definitely gets the bumps right!

Roush9 25 October 09 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empty Box (Post 887808)
Well you only lost like 5 iRating points anyways, no real loss.

i lost 1 irating to be exact lol and actually gained sr :laugh:

Viper 25 October 09 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roush9 (Post 887803)
I can't believe I f***ing did that. First half of the race was crap, couldn't hit my marks for the life of me. second half was going about as smooth as it could go, battling for 4th and I turn in too soon, catch the f***ing curb and into the tires I go. Destroying the right side. First mazda race will for sure be my last.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empty Box (Post 887805)
Rofl. BTW, I beat you. :p

That race just sucked. I swear my pedals were flucked up, it seemed like I was either no throttle or full throttle, no in between. Coming out of the hairpin that Felipe guy nearly ran me over as my car just didnt want to go. Guess I get to open em up and do the tape mod yet again. Hooray.

I think that was the worst Mazda race I've been in yet. Could be that I was about a second slower or so, but the people I was racing with before I spun (Twice?) were jackasses. They kept sticking their car into areas where you can't pass (Such as T2 and Cunningham). Race sucked, still came away with a 5th after you and that Felipe guy infront of me Retired, so not a total loss.

Please try and keep the following in mind:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Site Rules
No cursing, swearing or other abusive language in posts / signatures or other user profile fields(Disguising words with ** or other characters is not acceptable!).
No clever typing to avoid any word censors - if we've censored something it is for a reason and trying to outsmart the system is not going to earn you any bonus points.

Roush9 25 October 09 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper (Post 888352)
Please try and keep the following in mind:

Sorry.

Would effing be acceptable, or f'ing?

Viper 25 October 09 17:35

I'm sure you can think of ways to make your point without using such flooping additional words. :P

Roush9 25 October 09 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper (Post 888404)
I'm sure you can think of ways to make your point without using such flooping additional words. :P

:laugh: but it's quick and to the point.

[R24-7]Bazza 25 October 09 18:07

at this point the childish cheeky side of me wants to type out every rude word and bit of slang i can think of to see what you can and cant get away with......im resisting.....one day i will eventually grow up

Roush9 26 October 09 01:09

Anyone gonna try to contend for championships this up coming season?

I'm 6th in division 2 in the impala B with only 9 starts in 6 weeks, so I think I may actually try next season.

Empty Box 29 October 09 21:29

So, NG Hosted Racing when it gets up and running full speed, how do you guys feel? Anyone up for some later in the season perhaps, and if so, what times work for people. Madhouse anyone?

pjj1180 29 October 09 21:44

me

moppenheimer 29 October 09 21:46

Me, Mazdas at anywhere.....preferably an oval, but

Empty Box 29 October 09 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjj1180 (Post 893198)
me

Times you would / usually race? Just trying to see if there will be enough interest to get a decent race going at a normal hour. :thumbup:

Empty Box 29 October 09 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by moppenheimer (Post 893199)
Me, Mazdas at anywhere.....preferably an oval, but

Mazda @ SoBo!

:laugh:

That'd be pretty awesome actually.

Roush9 30 October 09 03:57

I keep hitting F5 in hopes of seeing "corvette C6.R released" :-(

Geekboy 30 October 09 14:19

I'd like to be in, but I know I'd just get walked on in any race w/ y'all. Plus, the content I have is going to be all I have for a while due to finances, and that doesn't include the Mazda and many of the tracks.