NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor

Old 19 October 09, 22:12   #1
vetz06

Default How do you add cars to an rFactor mod ?

I've had no problem changing skins of most any car, BUT, I've had no success actually adding a car beyond the exisitng cars in an rFactor mod.

Example - if a mod started with 4 GT Porsches, I can change the skins on any one of them but do not know how to add a new or 5th car.

Same for any other type of car - I know there must be a file that dictates this, but I haven't been able to find it ?

I'd appreciate any help with the above.

THANKS
vetz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 09, 00:13   #2
ermax

Make a copy of one of the veh files from an existing car and name it what ever you want. Then name your dds files to match the name of the veh file. For example. testcar.veh and testcar.dds. Then open the veh file and change the team name, driver name, car number and all that stuff to what ever you wish. Also make sure you set DefaultLivery="testcar.dds".

That is about it.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 09, 14:03   #3
KittX
Baddie

Some mods have all the cars in one folder (just with .veh files matched to the .dds files by their names), but more often there are separate folders for each standalone car. I believe that the folder name is not important at this case, the game engine will be using the name of .veh and .dds files for instances. If the car has some extra textures, or extra window texture, the first part of their names must match to main .dds file name, for instnce "testcarwindow.dds" or "testcarextra3.dds".
KittX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 09, 21:33   #4
vetz06

THANKS !
vetz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 10, 14:59   #5
martinella

Hello,
I'm making a custom mod for a personal usage with different cars and classes based on Shift_Street mod. Most of the car I've added works OK, but the problem is that some of the cars not appeared in the game menu although everything is done correctly ( i mean the .VEH and GEN. files). Is there something else that has to be done?

Thanks
martinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 10, 15:15   #6
WavRunner

More often than not, I have found that when a car does not showup in the Spinner it is because of the seperate Spinner.gen file is incorrect. Remember, that changes you have made in the regular .gen file (where you have dictated where the game looks for the different .mas files and vehicle folders) also must be changed in the Spinner.gen file.
WavRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 10, 15:36   #7
martinella

I've also changed the Spinner files according to the mas files and folders, but some cars just not appeared in game anyway (its like they are locked or something). Other cars I've added with a similar changes of the files works fine.
martinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 10, 07:24   #8
David Paterson

I want to make a mod for my own personal use for offline racing. I want to combine cars from three or four existing mods. How do i do this?

Is it as simple as creating a new vehicles folder, copying cars across from the existing folders and then creating a new rfm file?

Is it better to create from scratch or copy and modify existing files?
David Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 10, 13:42   #9
timex

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinella View Post
Hello,
I'm making a custom mod for a personal usage with different cars and classes based on Shift_Street mod. Most of the car I've added works OK, but the problem is that some of the cars not appeared in the game menu although everything is done correctly ( i mean the .VEH and GEN. files). Is there something else that has to be done?

Thanks
When you're working through several cars it's incredibly easy to miss something and often hard to find what you missed.

If an engine file is named incorrectly the car won't load in game. If the damage file isn't there the car won't load in game. Etc, etc.

If the file names referenced in the HDV aren't all named correctly and exactly matching the file names in the car folder, the car won't load. So on and so on.

It happens to me regularly. The last one was me not adding an underscore to the name of a PM file name in the HDV. Spent a half hour trying to chase it down. Frustrating, but my fault.
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 10, 18:17   #10
dansboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Make a copy of one of the veh files from an existing car and name it what ever you want. Then name your dds files to match the name of the veh file. For example. testcar.veh and testcar.dds. Then open the veh file and change the team name, driver name, car number and all that stuff to what ever you wish. Also make sure you set DefaultLivery="testcar.dds".

That is about it.
Hi there

Ive tried what you said above but i cant get another car to show up in the vln05 mod

nothing i change seems to work

Any other suggestions?
dansboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 10, 20:12   #11
Evo monkey

I seem to think VLN has a Vehicle Override in the rFm file. Basically, this means it uses the custom directory to be the default directory, therefore any car outside will not be recognised.

To get cars to work you need to move it into the custom folder and change GEN files. However, DONT include the first folder. EG: If the VLN mod has a vehicle override of GameData\Vehicles\VLN, the GEN files DONT include \VLN. This is also why some vehicles don't work in All Cars and Tracks rFm (Doesn't include the base folder and therefore can't find files.

If I didn't explain well them you can always get in touch via PM.
Evo monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 10, 21:29   #12
dansboi

@ Evo monkey

You did explain well enough

unfortunatly i still cant get it to work

Ive changed the .VEH file and used classes from VLN mod aswell as the drop down car selector menu but still nothing.
Old 21 September 10, 06:59   #13
Evo monkey

You tried doing a trace file? Click properties on your rFactor shortcut and in the target box AFTER the speechmarks add in -trace=100

Then start rFactor and go to the menu and exit again. Go into your UserData/Log folder and open trace.txt. Have a look through there and it should say something about the why it isn't appearing.

Thanks.
Old 21 September 10, 08:21   #14
dansboi

Ive done exactly what you said but i dont have a trace file appearing in my LOG folder. There is nothing in that folder :S
Old 21 September 10, 11:51   #15
dansboi

UPDATE:

Evo i found another thread in which you was explaining a similar problem
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=220786

I tried what you explained there and to some avail

I can get cars from the vln2007 mod into vln05 mod however... i can only get folders which have 1 car to work :S.

for example:

Aston martin dbrs9 teams folder. i move it to vln05 and change the .VEH file to add vln05 classes and it works fine. only one team in that folder.
I try adding the bmw z3m which has 2 teams. i done exactly the same as before but they dont show up in game.

Is that clear or do you need more explanation?

Thanks Dan
Old 21 September 10, 15:11   #16
Evo monkey

Hmm, wierd. Have you tried running a trace to generate the trace file mentioned above? If you don't understand the results post the trace file and I'll take a look.

Also something to check:

- The VEH files need different names

- Are the other cars under the skins tab? If they are maybe change the team/catagories to seperate them.

Anywho, try running a trace to see if that sheds any light on a quite wierd problem.

EDIT: Just seen your trace problem, Vista and Windows 7 may have it in the My Documents\rFactor\Log folder.
Old 21 September 10, 15:44   #17
dansboi

Its all ok now i managed to sort it.... ish

What i done was copy the main vehicle folder from a mod into vln05 folder. then from there go into each team and car changing the .veh files and works fine

Another point though...

Some cars show mas file erros when loading... if you copy the file its missing into the actual car folder it should work fine.

I think sometime when you insert into another folder seperate cars cant find the mas files they need from the original main folder if you get what i mean?

PS
As for the trace problem... ive just seen it now but there's no need to worry about that now hopefully.

Cheers for all the help
Old 21 September 10, 16:43   #18
Evo monkey

If there is a vehicle override the vehicle override becomes the default vehicle folder, therefore any common mas files need to go into there NOT your main vehicles folder for every mod, if that makes any sense.

Also, sometimes the MAS files need the search path adding infront of the MAS file name
Old 21 September 10, 18:19   #19
dansboi

It sort of makes sense. like instead of having say holden.mas you would have v8factor\holden\commodor\holden.mas

does that sound right to you?

Still having problems with some mods but others work fine :S
Old 21 September 10, 19:58   #20
Evo monkey

Indeed that is correct.
Old 9 March 13, 13:20   #21
Craiggy

hello there, I'm trying to move some BMW's from VLN 05 into Rallyworld 4.0..... is there an detailed tutorial on how to do this? thanks in advance
Craiggy is offline   Reply With Quote