NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Old 11 October 10, 16:00   #1
BrunoB

Lightbulb How to use DXTweak with Win7

My good old wheel (360 Modena Pro) has become sideheavy (centerpoint is several degrees to the left).
So I decided to use the nice little applic DXTweak2 to compensate for the centerpoint error.

Im running Win7-64 and the only issue running DXTweak2 is that it needs an allready installed joystick profile to fully be able to create and apply other profiles itself.
Note! Since Win2000/XP its known that there is no place in the direct DirectInput part of the Registry where DXTweak can save its deadzone values.
So if you try to tweak the deadzone values they will not be saved. But thats not DXTweaks fault.

Im using the older DXTweak2_4.30.229 because some of the newer versions dont function (to the best of my knowledge).

OK. If you want fully to use DXTweak2 for Win7 (except the dead deadzone feature) then you have to sligthly edit the following reg-file to suit your joystick/wheel.
Because you have to replace the text "\360 Modena Pro\" in the following reg-file with your wheels equivalent name. Its socalled "OEMName".
But thats pretty easy.
Because DXTweak supply you with this name.

1. Copy the text underneath starting with the line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" into Notepad and save it as say: MyTweaks.txt
2. Start the DXTweak2.exe (the program needs no install), and from the DXTweak menu write the precise (PRECISE!) name from the "Polled Device" (in my case "360 Modena Pro").
3. Then use the REPLACE function in Notepad to replace all cases of "\360 Modena Pro\" with the name from the "Polled Device ("\your wheels name\") in the file MyTweaks.txt
4. Rename MyTweaks.txt > MyTweaks.reg
5. Merge MyTweaks.reg into the Registry.

Start the DXTweak2.exe and begin tweaking your joystick/wheel knowing that you can save (and apply) as many profiles you want.
BrunoB

EDIT: For some reason you have to get rid of the space in \Profil es\
---------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es]
@="TestProfile1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro\X Axis]
"CalibrationMin"=dword:fffffe00
"CalibrationCtr"=dword:00000000
"CalibrationMax"=dword:000001ff
"Deadzone"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro\Y Axis]
"CalibrationMin"=dword:00000014
"CalibrationCtr"=dword:00000080
"CalibrationMax"=dword:000000fb
"Deadzone"=dword:00000006

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro\Z Axis]
"CalibrationMin"=dword:000000ff
"CalibrationCtr"=dword:000000ff
"CalibrationMax"=dword:000000ff
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 10, 08:42   #2
redi
Superator

Location: On a thin crust covering a huge ball of hot molten stone whizzing through space

Good info! I guess DXTweak is not maintained so no updates for Win7 are to be expected?
redi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 10, 21:05   #3
ptmac3

Okay, so tried this on Vistax64. Everything goes fine and I can see DXTweak2 function as per the adjustments I make, but when I run GPL it makes no difference. I am using v5.02.114 of DXTweak2 as I do not have an earlier version. Any chance I can get the earlier version from you?
ptmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 10, 17:20   #4
isamu

Thank you for starting this topic. I do not use DXTweak2 but use DI View instead. I have a question though....are the settings that you make in DXTweak or DI View for that matter, supposed to "stick" as they are even while playing your game? Sometimes, it *seems* as if the settings, particularly for calibration, are not represented in the game. And for some reason the saturation settings never works. How do I get saturation to work and how do I make the settings "stay" when playing the game?
isamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 10, 20:33   #5
BrunoB

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
Thank you for starting this topic. I do not use DXTweak2 but use DI View instead. I have a question though....are the settings that you make in DXTweak or DI View for that matter, supposed to "stick" as they are even while playing your game? Sometimes, it *seems* as if the settings, particularly for calibration, are not represented in the game. And for some reason the saturation settings never works. How do I get saturation to work and how do I make the settings "stay" when playing the game?
The profile you load in DXTweak2 change the values in Windows DirectX (Direct Input).
You can check before/after in Windows Game Calibration Tool (Joystick).
My own experience with the DXTweak2 profiles is that if you see that the joystick cross is not precisely in the center (in Windows Game Calibration Tool) then you can compensate this via DXTweak2.
Ie if your input device for one or another reason is biased up/down or left/right you can compensate for this.
But AFTERWARDS you have to calibrate the device inside the game!
OK?

I dont have a clue what you mean by "saturation". To the best of my knowledge there is no "saturation" value in DXTweak2
---------------------------
ptmac3 : "Any chance I can get the earlier version from you? "

Ofcourse. Just PM me with your email adr.

BrunoB
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 10, 07:14   #6
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoB View Post
The profile you load in DXTweak2 change the values in Windows DirectX (Direct Input).
You can check before/after in Windows Game Calibration Tool (Joystick).
My own experience with the DXTweak2 profiles is that if you see that the joystick cross is not precisely in the center (in Windows Game Calibration Tool) then you can compensate this via DXTweak2.
Ie if your input device for one or another reason is biased up/down or left/right you can compensate for this.
But AFTERWARDS you have to calibrate the device inside the game!
OK?

I dont have a clue what you mean by "saturation". To the best of my knowledge there is no "saturation" value in DXTweak2
Thanks for the reply. There is a saturation adjustment option in DI View, that makes your steering more or less sensitive. But it seems it doesn't take affect in the game.
Old 28 September 11, 09:51   #7
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoB View Post
My good old wheel (360 Modena Pro) has become sideheavy (centerpoint is several degrees to the left).
So I decided to use the nice little applic DXTweak2 to compensate for the centerpoint error.

Im running Win7-64 and the only issue running DXTweak2 is that it needs an allready installed joystick profile to fully be able to create and apply other profiles itself.
Note! Since Win2000/XP its known that there is no place in the direct DirectInput part of the Registry where DXTweak can save its deadzone values.
So if you try to tweak the deadzone values they will not be saved. But thats not DXTweaks fault.

Im using the older DXTweak2_4.30.229 because some of the newer versions dont function (to the best of my knowledge).

OK. If you want fully to use DXTweak2 for Win7 (except the dead deadzone feature) then you have to sligthly edit the following reg-file to suit your joystick/wheel.
Because you have to replace the text "\360 Modena Pro\" in the following reg-file with your wheels equivalent name. Its socalled "OEMName".
But thats pretty easy.
Because DXTweak supply you with this name.

1. Copy the text underneath starting with the line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" into Notepad and save it as say: MyTweaks.txt
2. Start the DXTweak2.exe (the program needs no install), and from the DXTweak menu write the precise (PRECISE!) name from the "Polled Device" (in my case "360 Modena Pro").
3. Then use the REPLACE function in Notepad to replace all cases of "\360 Modena Pro\" with the name from the "Polled Device ("\your wheels name\") in the file MyTweaks.txt
4. Rename MyTweaks.txt > MyTweaks.reg
5. Merge MyTweaks.reg into the Registry.

Start the DXTweak2.exe and begin tweaking your joystick/wheel knowing that you can save (and apply) as many profiles you want.
BrunoB

EDIT: For some reason you have to get rid of the space in \Profil es\
---------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es]
@="TestProfile1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro\X Axis]
"CalibrationMin"=dword:fffffe00
"CalibrationCtr"=dword:00000000
"CalibrationMax"=dword:000001ff

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro\Y Axis]
"CalibrationMin"=dword:00000014
"CalibrationCtr"=dword:00000080
"CalibrationMax"=dword:000000fb
"Deadzone"=dword:00000006

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\Profil es\TestProfile1\360 Modena Pro\Z Axis]
"CalibrationMin"=dword:000000ff
"CalibrationCtr"=dword:000000ff
"CalibrationMax"=dword:000000ff
I'm sorry but I am extremely confused by these instructions.

1)Are you saying we need to make a NEW txt file?

2)If so, what do we write in it?

3)Where do we place it?

4)What do you mean by "Copy the text underneath starting with the line "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" into Notepad "...? Where is this "text underneath" you're referring to? Which file? Which directory?

Please help because I desperately want to use DXT2 in Win7 and be able to save and load custom profiles.
Old 28 September 11, 23:41   #8
isamu

I just want to clarify, that DXTWeak 2 *DOES* work, but the problem is I cannot save custom profiles without DXTweak 2 crashing. That is why I want to try this method but I don't understand it at all.

Please help
Old 29 September 11, 22:47   #9
isamu

Where did bruno go?
Old 30 September 11, 00:43   #10
DurgeDriven

In case ptmac3 or others did not get PM you only had to Google........

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/misc-24/dx...n=download&hl=

Link in Green Box ie: HTTP

Newer version of DXTweak are 32bit / 64bit
Not sure if that is relevant have not used it for years.
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 11, 07:06   #11
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
In case ptmac3 or others did not get PM you only had to Google........

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/misc-24/dx...n=download&hl=

Link in Green Box ie: HTTP

Newer version of DXTweak are 32bit / 64bit
Not sure if that is relevant have not used it for years.
OMFG THIS ONE WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DurgeDriven.....right now I am sitting here in tears of joy. Words cannot begin to describe how much I thank you for providing that link. I am so confused right now have a few questions please, if you don't mind....

1)The version of DXTweak 2 that I have been using is v5.02.114 x64 Bit. This is presumably the latest version and is the one presented on Wingman's gadget page. The version you sent me, is version v4.30.229, which going by the version number is an older build. So the question is, why does the newer version crash or hang upon attempting to save a custom profile, while the older on does not?

2)DurgeDriven or anyone else, can you please shed some light on where this particular version of DXTWeak2 came from, and why it's so difficult to find?

3)Who is ptmac3? Is he the author? If not, who is the author? Who created the program? And why did they manage to screw up the saving profile aspect in the newer version?

3)DurgeDriven you mention google...what is it exactly I was supposed to be googling? I already googled numerous times things like "DXTWeak 2" and "How to save custom profiles in DXTweak 2 without crashing", and it yielded results that were absolutely useless and didn't help at all.

4)Where does this version of DXTweak2 save its custom profiles? In which directory/folder? I would like direct access to them.

Sorry for the list of questions, but I am desperately curious and intrigued by this mysterious version that works for me while newer one doesn't.

My mind is completely blown right now. I was very sure that no one would be able to help me, and you came though like a champ DurgeDriven!!! I sincerely wish I could buy you a drink right now man! Thank you so much!!!!
Old 1 October 11, 11:55   #12
isamu

Durge you there bro?
Old 1 October 11, 19:55   #13
DurgeDriven

All I did was Google

Glad it helped but.
Old 3 October 11, 11:46   #14
Zieman

Ahhh, Google-fu is an art not easily mastered...
Zieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 11, 20:11   #15
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieman View Post
Ahhh, Google-fu is an art not easily mastered...
indeed indeed Durgen is a black belt in Google-Fu! I shall study the google art even more Durgen-san
Old 11 August 13, 14:42   #16
isamu

DurgeDriven for president
Old 9 December 13, 19:14   #17
Bob Simpson
Thoroughly Helpful Bloke

Quote:
OMFG THIS ONE WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4)Where does this version of DXTweak2 save its custom profiles? In which directory/folder? I would like direct access to them.
I'm not as thrilled as isamu, but admittedly DXTweak2 v.4.30.229 does save the profile.

The trouble I have is that in GPL, the brake axis settings in DXTweak2 have no influence on in-game performance. I tried ranges of 0-30 and 0 - 600 and it still takes the same amount of force (Andy Pastore load cell) to stop the cars.

The answer to 4) is that it's saved in the registry as noted in the first post.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\

I'm not sure if you can or even need to change it in the registry, but making the changes in DXTweak2 are saved there.
Bob Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 13, 23:04   #18
isamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Simpson View Post
I'm not as thrilled as isamu, but admittedly DXTweak2 v.4.30.229 does save the profile.

The trouble I have is that in GPL, the brake axis settings in DXTweak2 have no influence on in-game performance. I tried ranges of 0-30 and 0 - 600 and it still takes the same amount of force (Andy Pastore load cell) to stop the cars.

The answer to 4) is that it's saved in the registry as noted in the first post.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\DXTweak\

I'm not sure if you can or even need to change it in the registry, but making the changes in DXTweak2 are saved there.
Necrobump of the quintenium!!!!!!

Good info man. However, I've found that UJR works even better than DXTweak2.

http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/sit...ahk-gui-script
Old 4 September 14, 22:04   #19
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Necrobump of the quintenium!!!!!!

Good info man. However, I've found that UJR works even better than DXTweak2.

http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/sit...ahk-gui-script

Bump

This works okay too

See: DIView - DIView.zip
http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index....age=page&id=12