NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Rally Trophy > RT Editing

Old 6 August 04, 00:44   #1
fredizzimo
Site Founder

Default BZF Manager Info

Here is some info about Rally Trophy BZF Manager.

General information:

BZF Manager is an editor that lets you edit almost everything in Rally Trophy. The only things that are not editable currently, is carshapes and tracks, plus some additional 3D releated data, like pace notes placements. Those things will be added later as a plugins for a 3D packages.

Installation and setup:

The installation is simple, just download the zip and extract it anywhere, no additional steps are requred.

The first time you run the program it will open an options dialog, you have to click ok there and accept the suggested options, or change them, otherwise the dialoge will popup again. The settings should be pretty self explaining. The default editors are those editors that will be launched when you double click a file that's in a local directory, from the editor.

If you choose to associate the rtp (Rally Trophy Package) file extension with BZFManager, then installation of custom carsets or other third-party add-ons will be much easier. You can just click an rtp file, and a dialog box will pop up that asks you if you want to Install the carset or open it in the editor for exact control of what to install. Note that you shouldn't move the program to another location otherwise windows, can't find the editor, and the package installation will fail. Also put future versions of the editor in the same place, over the current executable. otherwise you might get version conflicts, or packages not installing, because of newer features added to them. If you however need to move the program to another location, you can set the association again, from the options.

Basic functionality:

When the editor finally starts, you will see two main tabs, Export and Import/Edit. Export, exports files from the game to either a package (a collection of any RT files, packed into a single compressed package), or a directory on your hard drive. The later is used for editing the files. It's usually much easier to edit existing game files, and modify them, than creating from scratch. The radio buttons selects if you want to export to package or to a local directory on your harddrive. Type in the directory name/package name in the edit box, or click the browse button.

In a similar way, there's two options for importing. Import from directory, imports your hopefully edited files from the selected directory. The directory structure has to be exactly the same as the original structure, that the export functions creates. In addidion, the file names need to be exactly the same. Both are reasons for using the export function raher than creating from scratch. In addition, the game may or may not tolerate files in different formats than the originals.

Import from package, is almost always used for custom imports. Say you download a carset with many cars, and you only want to install one of them. Another example, you download a carset, including a physics update. But as you race on Relay, you want to keep the original physics.

The right pane of the editor shows a preview of a selected game element. Use the treeview, and listbox, to select the file you want to see. Note that the element displayed is different depending on which page you have selected (Import/Export), and type to/from package/directory. If you don't see a preview, then the file you are trying to view doesn't exist, or there's no viewer implemented for the selected file type.

To do the acutal exporting/importing, you have to choice if you want to export/import everything, or just some selected items. Everything exports every file that happens to be in the game/package/directory, depending on which tab, and type you are displaying. Selected items, exports/imports, the items you have selected in the listbox. Use the check boxes, to select them. If the destination exists it will be overwritten, without warning, so be careful Non existing items are added. That means that you can add several categories to the same package, you just export selected multiple times.

A new function in version 1.4 is that you can restore the original files, from the cd, that you can use if you have made a mistake, or for some other reason want to go back to the original. Restore everything explains itself, but note that the current implementation copies everything, also things that are not editable from the editor, like the game music. Selected category, means everything that's under the selected item in the tree view. If you have "Cars" selected, all cars will be restored and if you have a single car selected, then just that car will be restored. Selected items, are the items you have selected using checkboxes. It can only be done, if you are viewing the game files, meaning you have the export tab selected. The physics restores just the files that modifies the handling, or any other thing that can affect the driving, like collision objects.

Note that all export/import functions, can take a long time to complete. So be patient, the editor may seem to have hanged, but in fact it's working. So, don't kill it unless it haven't responded, for 5-10 minutes.

Common operations:

-The most basic one, Importing a downloaded RTP file
This is very easy if you have the editor set up properly as explained earlier, just double click, and answer yes to the question, and the package will be installed.

-Edit a car texture, import it to the game and create an RTP file, for distribution
1. Start the editor. And make sure that export tab is selected, and that the export to directory radio button is checked.
2. Enter the correct export path, in the editbox, you can choose that freelly, but I recommend that you keep the default.
3. Browse the game files, using the tree view, and listbox, select the checkbox, for the item you want to edit. If you have enough room on the drive you can alternatively export everything, or select all files in the selected car. Then choose the correct export option from the menu, or click the correct speedbutton.
4. Now it's time to move over to directory view. So, select import, and import from directory. Then search the file you just exported, and double click on it. The file will now open in you prefered editor, if you have it correctly set up in the options.
5. Edit the file and save it.
6. Now return to BZF manager, and select the file again in the same view, (import and import from directory)
7. Select the file again, using the checkbox, and choose import selected.
8. Now you can switch over to the other view again, and check if the file imported correctly.
9. Start the game and test.
10. If everything is ok, and you don't want to export more files, if not repeat from step 3 or 4, then choose export to package.
11. Enter a describing package name, or use the browse button.
12. Select all checkboxes for the files you have edited, and choose export selected. If you have edited files in more than one category, and therefore can't select all files in one step, repeat this step.
13 Upload the file to an internet site, for example http://www.nogripracing.com . But make sure that you don't compress the package with another software, for example winzip. The files are already compressed, and the installation will be much easier for the user, if you choose not to do so.

-You downloaded a carset, but it's zipped and there's no RTP, file inside it, just a directory.
The first thing to do is to contact the carset maker, and inform him that he should upload it as a package instead. But if that doesn't help, you have to import it from a directory with correct structure. If the zip contains for example the directory car_20, you will need to create a directory named cars, and put car_20 there. Then when you start the editor, you choose import and import from directory. Then specify the base directory for "cars" in the edit box. Meaning if you created the cars directory in ExportedData, you choose ExportedData, and not Cars. Then the files should show up, in the editor, if you select them using the treeview and listbox.

Version history:

v0.5-0.9 Versions only released for a few selected people, for beta testing.
v1.0 The first public release
v1.1 Same as 1.0, but the download is in zip format rather than rar.
v1.4 The current version
-BugFixes:
+ Export to package fails on windows 98 machines.
+ Export to package fails on win2k/winxp, if you export to another drive than your system drive.
+ Same as the two above, but for delete files
+ Import from directory used the data from the export directory, instead of import
+ Some other smaller things, I don't remember
-Feature add-ons:
+ Physics editing now enabled
+ Options for default editors, and defualt directories, package names
+ RTP file extension can be associated with the edtior, for much easier package installing
+ The import and export functions are now much faster
+ Included restore options to restore things from the game cd
+ I had missed some files you were able to export/import, for example driver names, those are included now.
+ Probably some other things too
v1.41
Fixed editor crash, when the default editors couldn't be automatically detected.
v1.42
Fixed, importing and exporting of some files
Fixed cd detection routine

Known bugs:
The default editors can't be detected on every system. It leaves them blank in that case.

And finally important things to remember:
Always upload RTP files, and don't compress those files another time using Winzip, or Winrar for example
Always keep backups of you own work, if you do something wrong. The files from the game can easilly be restored, but not your own work.
Ask questions here, I'm always here to help you, trying to anyways.

Current version can be downloaded from http:://nogripracing.com
If you want to contact the author, Fred 'fredizzimo' Sundvik fsundvik@nic.fi
fredizzimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 04, 07:35   #2
Imagine

Default Re: BZF Manager Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredizzimo
Ask questions here, I'm always here to help you, trying to anyways.
-you ask for it

so here is one question for you

...it's about Restoring fuction of BZF menager -Restore everithing to be exactly

allways when i have too much things F**** up in RT :headspin: i try to use that fuction but without suxcess so i'm esually reinstalling a game over and over :wc: becouse i'm getting that message on the screenshot :arrow:

so i wan't to know is this happens only to me or it's a known thing and how to get around it ?

i'm not in RT Community that long but my guess would be :sherlock: that BZFm is made for v1.00 version of the game and when i use it restores some files from original cd and brings them back before patching with official v1.01 patch so i't doesent work becouse of that-i can be wrong offcourse :dood:
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 04, 10:14   #3
Dan
Site Founder

Default Re: BZF Manager Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine
so here is one question for you

...it's about Restoring fuction of BZF menager -Restore everithing to be exactly
well.. all resore everything does is copy all the game files back from the cd to your install again, so of course it will overwrite some of the patch files - so you need to copy the patch files back in afterwards too or you'll get that error and other similar screwups
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 04, 14:05   #4
Ollo

"Restore everything to default" works for me.
Ollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 08, 07:38   #5
Andre1956

Hello, haven't been here for about two years. And then I was jth56.

Now I tried to drive again RT, but I have forgot everything. Why can't I open RTP files with BZF Manager? I have choosen "Associate rtp extension with BZF Manager" But nothing happens. :confused:
Help me.:cry:
Andre1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 08, 15:37   #6
Roadhog

What Operating system......

Check under options, and make sure everything looks something like this.

Under the options tab, this is what I have, drive letter ommited for space
Default export directory:\Program Files\JoWooD\Rally Trophy\MyPackage
Default export package:\Program Files\JoWooD\RallyTrophy\MyPackage.rtf
Default import directory:\Program Files\JoWooD\Rally Trophy\MyPackage
Default import package:\Program Files\JoWooD\RallyTrophy\MyPackage.rtf

Hoggy
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 08, 16:33   #7
Andre1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
What Operating system......

Check under options, and make sure everything looks something like this.

Under the options tab, this is what I have, drive letter ommited for space
Default export directory:\Program Files\JoWooD\Rally Trophy\MyPackage
Default export package:\Program Files\JoWooD\RallyTrophy\MyPackage.rtf
Default import directory:\Program Files\JoWooD\Rally Trophy\MyPackage
Default import package:\Program Files\JoWooD\RallyTrophy\MyPackage.rtf

Hoggy
Operating system is Windows Vista and under options tab all are just like you wrote. It looks like Vista don't recognize that BZF Manager is a program. When I click a .rtp file it won't open and when I try to select BZF Manager to default program to those files, nothing happens. :confused:
I can import .rtp files with BZF Manager and add those to the game. I have changed car skins, road textures etc.
Old 13 February 08, 20:12   #8
Roadhog

You should ba able to start the BZF Manager and import from there....

Hoggy
Old 14 February 08, 03:51   #9
Andre1956

It works otherwise but this: "If you choose to associate the rtp (Rally Trophy Package) file extension with BZFManager, then installation of custom carsets or other third-party add-ons will be much easier. You can just click an rtp file, and a dialog box will pop up that asks you if you want to Install the carset or open it in the editor for exact control of what to install." does not work for me. And I'm very sure that it did work earlier (2 years ago) with Win XP.
Or maybe it has something to do with this new CD that I bought from eBay. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-Rally-Troph...QQcmdZViewItem
It has only german and english languages. Unfortunately I did sell my original CD with finnish language when I did stop playing.
Old 19 February 08, 18:30   #10
Roadhog

Are you the administrator for your system, this from my reading around the net is paramount when trying to get most anything to work in Vista....lol

Hoggy
Old 6 August 08, 23:24   #11
zarker88

erm...

Stupid question #1
where can I get the BFZ-Manager? I can't see anything in the downloads section for it

I even did an internet search for it, but all it found was this thread.
zarker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 08, 01:46   #12
Matra-Rancho
Exil-Saarländer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarker88 View Post
erm...

Stupid question #1
where can I get the BFZ-Manager? I can't see anything in the downloads section for it

I even did an internet search for it, but all it found was this thread.
Hello,

you will get the BZF-Manager in the Downloads>>Rally Trophy>>Editing Tools section or you klick here

regards Matra-Rancho
Matra-Rancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 08, 21:16   #13
zarker88

ah - thanks for that
I didn't see that folder :/
zarker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 09, 20:51   #14
jgf

Default BZF manager and multiple RT installs

I have a default RT install, another with the TT mod, and another for the WRC mod. I'm always uneasy with the BZF manager because, apparently, I can't have dedicated installs of it for each RT install; so I'm never certain it's going to put new files into the proper place. Is there a way to force the manager to run in only the directory/install in which it is located?
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 09, 22:07   #15
Zieman

If I recall this right, BZFmanager will affect the RT install which was last used.

I've resolved the uncertainty by renaming RT folders so that whenever I want to change something with the BZFmanager, that particular install's folder is Rally Trophy. And I only start RT with one shortcut, which points to Rally Trophy folder. I have 3 installs too: one for NoGrip online & offline racing, one for WRC mod and one for clean install which is patcehd up to 2007 real tyre mod & realmod supplement level.
Zieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 09, 11:27   #16
pjakesson

That have plagued me as well, not knowing what
directory the BFZ manager installs files.

But I guess, BZF use the Windows registry settings
for Rally Trophy installation directory.
pjakesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 10, 13:56   #17
gigiosantos

I can't get it working... When I click a file, it says it was installed, but when I play it, nothing has changed.
I'm using Win7 64-bit.
gigiosantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 11, 11:22   #18
slizendize

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiosantos View Post
I can't get it working... When I click a file, it says it was installed, but when I play it, nothing has changed.
I'm using Win7 64-bit.
As RTBZF Manager still works for Windows XP I've set it up to be in compatibility mode "Windows XP SP2" than I've executed a RT File and it works. I've tested this workaround with my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and that does the trick.

-Compatibility mode in Windows 7-
slizendize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 11, 10:13   #19
Rallyfan
Dark Side Of The Moon

Location: Estonia (a nice place to be when you like cold weather...)

Search for virtual program files, then copy all of the RT content of virtual pr. files and paste it there, where your RT game is installed.

The only working solution i have right now...any more ideas?
Rallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 11, 11:37   #20
matteo1974

Hi, I'm using windows xp and a fresh RT installation, when i double-click any rtp it says the package is correctly installed, but nothing has changed, no further car has been added. What can I do?
Thanks for your help

Matt
matteo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 11, 13:39   #21
Zieman

In Rally Trophy installing new cars replace old ones.
Check if you can choose from 22 cars, and if your newly installed car is one of those.
Zieman is offline   Reply With Quote