NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > F1 2010

Old 29 May 11, 19:34   #1
KalleFrost

Angry I miss Geoff Crammond`s

I was instant dissapointed as I touched the gas pedal in this total arcade F1 game. When you can hammer the pedal to the metal from the starting grid and not even feel the wheel slip in your hands is not even slightly realistic.
You can`t do burnouts to get a grip feeling or spin the car back in the right direction; no clutch?
KalleFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 11, 19:40   #2
Kazumi

exit F1 2010, go to desktop and doubleclick GP4
Kazumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 11, 20:15   #3
KalleFrost

:-d
KalleFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 11, 21:18   #4
SiKPupE

I agree. Geoff Crammonds F1 games were the best. Pity there are no more. F1 2010 is a good arcade game but GP4 was a lot better and way more realistic. Pity the graphics are so outdated now.
SiKPupE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 11, 11:37   #5
BruceD

No ways SiKPupE, head on over to www.grandprixgames.org and see the GP4 section and see how far advanced this game is now. The latest 2011 mod has some issues that are being sorted out, but if you're into the older seasons the 82,83 and 84 mods by Ripping Corpse are absolutely stunning! There are updated tracks, track packs for many different years, graphics config files which make it run with amazing detail on any PC. If you know what you're doing you can have every year from 2001 onwards in the game, as well as past seasons like those mentioned and 1991, etc. Currently the 1985 season (cars and tracks) are being worked on. Lots happening, you just need to find it.

Schumacher 2010 in Valencia

Senna 1994

Webber 2011 mod
BruceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 11, 00:00   #6
Bruno-F1
Uploader

Yep. GP4 is the thing. Better looking and with a far better AI than any ISI / gmotor game that ever came out. And the driving physics are simply in a class of its own.

Once upon a time I was even a staff member at grandprixgames.org. The sad thing is that GP4 isn't as easily modanble as the gmotor games. Else I'd never turned my back on GP4 !
Bruno-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 11, 02:55   #7
JoeSchmoe

After seeing this, I found my old copy and installed it. It looks pretty damn good for 10 year old game after you adjust the graphics. I haven't even messed with the "graphics" file yet... Unfortunately, I'm not able to get the momo/ff to work well so the control aspect of the game is horrible. Hate to uninstall this old one........
JoeSchmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 11, 06:18   #8
BruceD

I actually still play it with the keyboard, crazy as that sounds. Can't get the same feeling of connecting with the game with the steering wheel.
Old 21 June 11, 01:57   #9
SiKPupE

I stand corrected. It's still the best F1 game out there. I did not realize that someone had updated the graphics. I'll definately be going to check out the link you provided and will be dusting off my copy of GP4. Thanks BruceD for pointing me in the right direction.
SiKPupE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 11, 13:53   #10
IWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKPupE View Post
It's still the best F1 game out there.
..But only if rF doesn't count as F1 game.
IWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 11, 10:22   #11
Sphinx666

I love that game, eaven the graphics look enjoyable to me and the echo/reverb engine sounds when passing under bridges and stuff is orgasmic really he he

I have it installed, the standard version, no mods at all, love it. Problem is that I can't setup my g25 properly for it.
Sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 11, 23:53   #12
DurgeDriven

Physics, Ai , feel especially front wing down force - GP4

Graphics - F1 2010 .......seriously get a decent PC with good GPU or clean your glasses.

Wheel support - rFactor

Best all round - GPL
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 11, 18:52   #13
thewarmer

Glad I came across this post a few weeks ago, now I have dusted GP4 & its back installed.

Ok though I can not run in my screen res so far but it works with no issues with current OS thats saying somthing.

Game in stock still looks good & runs well somthing it did not do when it first came out it was very hard on the CPU.

Tracks look good ok pit crew look odd but the hell its 10 years old.

Now added mods ok its no Rfactor in that department but with all the hand install apps its not to hard.

Ran 1982 mod & 83/84/88/91& 94 so far along with some track packs & graphics updates.

Real fun doing quick races with multi cars still is the best at that along with its save race mode AI is still one of the best out there. amazing saying how old it is too.

GP was the first real racing game for me I had Testdrive 1 & Indy 500 before the first GP game came out , but was the game that did everything right.

Its a pitty Geoff Crammond as not written another sim since GP4 its would be very intresting to see how it would turn out.

But thanks for bring me back to this old classic.
thewarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 11, 19:06   #14
Siggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno-F1 View Post
Better looking and with a far better AI than any ISI / gmotor game that ever came out.
It's aged well, but I disagree on this one. rFactor with the latest shaders and mods tops it.
Siggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 11, 12:53   #15
BruceD

Look it'll never compete with the modern games in terms of graphics but it's still great.
Old 30 June 11, 07:48   #16
dacleaner

Maybe it is just me but I always felt ISI F1 '99 - 02' was better than GP4.
dacleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 11, 01:14   #17
mydumpstinks

Its 10 years old but was 5 yrs before its time and as stated will never match modern games for pure eyecandy, but you dont play gp4 for that, saying that it can be made to look pretty damn good! If nothing else the AI are as good if not better than the AI in any modern driving game.

After a few of hours messing and getting used to the file system its easy to mod and get upto 2010\11 the cars are all there the tracks also team graphics menu data everthing is updatable, hell of a lot of rough to go thru to find the diamonds but they are around and make it look very good. look for zastools to install .cuh (cars and driver graphics packs) and .tup (track packs) files.

Also a big download but has all the 2010 tracks and cars is the vazalm 2010 mod its a bit too busy for me but you *could* take it apart and just use the stuff u need.

shitloads to make a good game better!

http://www.gp4db.com/ lot of cars tracks and mods mostly old tho last season mod is 2008 i think!

http://www.grandprixx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1513
look here for controller setup, im sure it`ll give you split axis which a lot of ppl struggle with in gp4

as already mentioned
http://www.grandprixgames.org/list.php?4
id been away from this game for years but spent way too much time trawling this site recently, pretty much got everything you will need to get a good experience with gp4.

http://rsdi.home.xs4all.nl/gpxpatch.html get gpxpatch here, it is a must, very easy to add some very nice screen overlays, load tracksets, edited perf files and lots more.

edit added a couple of links

Last edited by mydumpstinks; 8 July 11 at 01:40.
mydumpstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 11, 17:16   #18
Furious Styles

I have never owned this game but now I am itching to get a copy. Anyone know where I can buy a copy at a bargin?
Furious Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 11, 08:18   #19
NorthernUnion

Geoff Crammond is still the best racing sim creature i've come across. I've played all his racing games from Stunt Car Racer through to all his F1 games. What an absolute loss to the industry that he is no longer creating master pieces.
NorthernUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 11, 21:24   #20
THUNDERbreaks

It looks very interesting, thanks for this thread
THUNDERbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 11, 05:24   #21
BruceD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Styles View Post
I have never owned this game but now I am itching to get a copy. Anyone know where I can buy a copy at a bargin?
I'm sure you can find a copy on Amazon or Ebay going very cheap, they're not much anymore but aren't hard to find I think.
Old 22 July 11, 05:30   #22
rci808

did any body here run ubisofts monaco grand prix 2 ?

circa 1998-1999
rci808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 11, 11:12   #23
BruceD

I had the previous version F1 Racing Simulation, which was very good for it's time and I enjoyed racing it. Unfortunately my disc got some freak acid on it or something and it's corrupted the disc and I can't play it anymore, would love to try it again though.
Old 22 July 11, 18:15   #24
pdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rci808 View Post

circa 1998-1999
I used to play it many years ago, still have a copy. Pretty good.
Then I moved to GP4 and F1 challenge, both kept me hooked for a long time.

Especially Geoff's masterpiece is after all those years still better than F1 2010 from crapmasters. It just feels like plastic and drives like a bus, awful.
pdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 11, 21:05   #25
Funkyjazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalleFrost View Post
I was instant dissapointed as I touched the gas pedal in this total arcade F1 game. When you can hammer the pedal to the metal from the starting grid and not even feel the wheel slip in your hands is not even slightly realistic.
You can`t do burnouts to get a grip feeling or spin the car back in the right direction; no clutch?
Dude, you are talking about the F1 game hero!! He just cant be replaced. Im still playing GP4 which will never be replaced by any F1 game. Jeff was just a guy who had the right thoughts and the spirit to make a authentic F1 game. CM wants to make money. That's the difference nowadays.
Funkyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 11, 20:39   #26
DoubleT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rci808 View Post

circa 1998-1999
Good times!!! I still have a copy of that game along with the manual. I keep all my old F1 sims. I still own F1RS, MGPRS2, F1RC, PowerF1, WarmUp, F1World GP, Official F1 racing, GPL, GP3, GP4, F1CS, F12001, F12000, F12002, F1Challenge. Seems like so long ago. Wait!..it was.

Last edited by DoubleT; 6 August 11 at 20:58.
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 11, 19:37   #27
chris_lrgpfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
Good times!!! I still have a copy of that game along with the manual. I keep all my old F1 sims. I still own F1RS, MGPRS2, F1RC, PowerF1, WarmUp, F1World GP, Official F1 racing, GPL, GP3, GP4, F1CS, F12001, F12000, F12002, F1Challenge. Seems like so long ago. Wait!..it was.
I think Monaco GP Sim from Ubisoft was utter garbage (best not let my best mate hear that tho as he works for them) but to be honest yes the Geoff Crammond games were good but too be honest i dont mind F1 2010 at all. Yes there are glitches but they will sort it
chris_lrgpfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 11, 20:46   #28
DragonGaru

a God for all of us!
DragonGaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 11, 21:27   #29
gavkiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonGaru View Post
a God for all of us!
indeed, thats a nice Carlos Sanchez helmet you got there in ur avatar dragon
gavkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 11, 21:32   #30
Chico Landi

Good times with GP2 and GP3...

Geoff is Fantastic !!!
Chico Landi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 11, 21:40   #31
DragonGaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavkiwi View Post
indeed, thats a nice Carlos Sanchez helmet you got there in ur avatar dragon
Carlos Sanchez is a legend!

poor Kurt Langer..
DragonGaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 11, 15:38   #32
scootergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post
No ways SiKPupE, head on over to www.grandprixgames.org and see the GP4 section and see how far advanced this game is now. The latest 2011 mod has some issues that are being sorted out, but if you're into the older seasons the 82,83 and 84 mods by Ripping Corpse are absolutely stunning! There are updated tracks, track packs for many different years, graphics config files which make it run with amazing detail on any PC. If you know what you're doing you can have every year from 2001 onwards in the game, as well as past seasons like those mentioned and 1991, etc. Currently the 1985 season (cars and tracks) are being worked on. Lots happening, you just need to find it.
that does look good i may have to check that out. ty for the link and info.
scootergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 11, 15:20   #33
erictheez1

Quote:
I was instant dissapointed as I touched the gas pedal in this total arcade F1 game.
1. Funny, I was disappointed as soon as I saw the graphics and heard the sound of Geoff Crammonds' game. Completely takes me out of the game, no immersion, is extremely dated, and has terrible modern wheel support! If we're comparing straight game to game and all....
2. This really doesn't have anything to do with F1 2010.
3. Had tons of fun with F1 2010 and it seems all my issues with it have been more than addressed in F1 2011 (plus safety car, others). Can't wait!
erictheez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 11, 12:32   #34
redi
Superator

Location: On a thin crust covering a huge ball of hot molten stone whizzing through space

GP4, Geoff Crammond, MicroProse... Thanks guys, you're making me feel like an old fart again

(Just found my GP4 copy in a drawer. Should I...? )
redi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 11, 13:06   #35
BruceD

You should, just for the older years alone. I think F1 2011 is putting up a good showing now but GP4 still has it's place. The new 1985 mod is coming soon and looks very good.
Old 22 September 11, 13:19   #36
Apex1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
GP4, Geoff Crammond, MicroProse... Thanks guys, you're making me feel like an old fart again

(Just found my GP4 copy in a drawer. Should I...? )

dude im 39 and I am thinkin about reinstalling it too. i actually just found my old copy still in the original box complete with both cds.
Apex1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 12, 00:41   #37
moriah888

I wouldn't miss it if I was you.

I just installed it after many years, put on Gpxpatch, a supposed "amazing" 2009 mod and spent 4 hours configuring it, patching it, tweaking it.

Then when I got it to run well.....the "racing" was dreadful.

All assists OFF, hardest difficulty....the cars were on rails...no they were WELDED to the track. Braking points? No need of them....blast up to the a 90 degree corner at 200 mph, slam the brakes on 50m before the turn and yang the wheel round. No skids, no lockups.

O and the supposed "amazing AI" that we all remember? Well I was rammed off the track almost as much as in rFactor. Indeed the biggest challenge was trying to get the AI to avoid me.

If F12011 is judged as an arcade racer based on its handling model then GP4 is worse. In order from Arcade to Sim then we go as follows :

Mario Cart
GP4
F12011
GTR2 / Evo / rFactor with FiRST Mod

I'd suggest that "in its day" it was decent...but it's certainly aged like an old whore on crack....avoid/avoid/avoid.

Last edited by moriah888; 6 January 12 at 01:25.
moriah888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 12, 05:47   #38
BruceD

Funny that, with my own personal mod 1993 race the other night I had a cracking race. Each to his own I guess.
Old 6 January 12, 20:59   #39
hoboholic
Hobo strikes again!

GP4 the best F1 game ever?
You guys do remember that GPL is an F1 game right?
hoboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 12, 21:44   #40
moriah888

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboholic View Post
GP4 the best F1 game ever?
You guys do remember that GPL is an F1 game right?
Lolol good point
moriah888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 12, 06:59   #41
FerrariFanARG

Just for those who are interested:

http://gp4forever.com/forum.php

You can get the Gp4 F1 2011 Mod their.
FerrariFanARG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 12, 23:26   #42
Dogzero1

I love GP4. It is the best even now.

Here is a quick vid I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBLe5Tqx85g
Dogzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 12, 00:00   #43
Chronus

On the graphics side of things, the attention to detail and the level of graphics were (still are) very, very impressive. The video linked to above looks exactly like the races I remember from the those days - imo, this says a lot. Maybe today's developers have a thing or two to learn from GP4.

Physics wise...some of the very best Mods for isiMotor2 sims are far above in the evolutionary ladder. But the same can be said if we compare F1 20xx and those Mods.

At any rate, GP4 still holds its own after all these years.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 12, 15:12   #44
wpsracing78

In all honesty - despite the awesomeness of the new iRacing F1 build, and the fact you're racing real people (only 1 car and some real tracks is the drawback) - GP4 is the greatest, and as long as the F1 game contract is for commercial sales over simulation - Gp4 will be the best forever. . .

In particular, the 1995 mod (with original sounds ofcourse) just makes me smile!
wpsracing78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 12, 17:07   #45
PortuguesePilot

people are comparing Geoff's game with current ones. that, in it self, is a testament to his enormous genius. i still remember when GP4 first came out. it was a Copernican revolution of sorts in racing simulations. up until then, NOTHING had ever come close. and for a very long time, nothing did.

apparently, we no longer have these Copernican revolutions. each game that comes out nowadays is a re-work of a previous one. they're all v1.02's or v2.05's... there are no more quantum leaps on games anymore. not like the ones we used to see when Sir Geoff Crammond still made his art.

i'm with that other poster above who said he's played all of his creations. so have i. ever since Stunt Car Racer (sheer fun) to his first Formula One Grand Prix simulator (light years above everything else at the time) in my humble Commodore Amiga 500 to his aforementioned latest creation on the PC.

please, Sir Geoff... won't you grace us all with yet another masterpiece of yours? we really need a new paradigm. a new giant leap forward on racing sims... who else but you to grant us that?
PortuguesePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 12, 00:02   #46
Chronus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post

apparently, we no longer have these Copernican revolutions. each game that comes out nowadays is a re-work of a previous one. they're all v1.02's or v2.05's... there are no more quantum leaps on games anymore. not like the ones we used to see when Sir Geoff Crammond still made his art.
I agree, BUT...

When something made by humans (anything: science, technology, art) is in its infancy, "quantum leaps" are bound to happen and far more frequently.

Anyway, there are many things available to devs nowadays that should enable them to produce things with far greater quality than anything by Crammond. We should expect (legitimate, no doubt) far better racing sims than those pre-2005 with the current state of technology and the knowledge gathered in regards to physics of tires/chassis/wings.

Problem, in my opinion, is one of vision: very few developers nowadays have the vision Crammond (and Dave Kaemmer, years ago) infused his sims with, and I'd say that video above shows (quite dramatically) how far that vision went.
Old 23 March 12, 00:44   #47
PortuguesePilot

true. it is possible to achieve an immense level of realism in simulation. one just has to take a look at the flight simulator's world to realize that.
apparently, though, some (most?) people are not that interested in the same level of realism and complexity in racing games. many people still prefer the instantly playable, pedal-to-the-metal, 300km/h-in-curves-with-no-grip-loss arcade racing game where you can just hit reverse and continue a race, even if you hit a wall dead on at 400km/h (unrealistic speeds used on purpose... because on those games any little Civic will pull those numbers).

it seems that the demand for an ultra-realistic racing game is NOT that high, which makes the obvious investment (in time, money and research) not very attractive to gaming publishers. from my personal point of view, it's a pity...
PortuguesePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 12, 09:51   #48
Chronus

Curious, you mentioned flight sims, and I was part of that world for many years (fond memories of EAW, Falcon 4.0, Jane's F/A-18, Rowan's Mig Alley, Flanker 2.5 and so on)...

I agree. Indeed, sadly, most people are no longer interested in shear, pure realism and what is worse they mask that by believing and talking about photorealism as a placeholder for physical realism...

There was real excitement in installing every Grand Prix jewel - friends would gather around someone with a powerful rig just to have a taste of it. Same thing with GPL.

Nowadays, people gobble up the nice little 2 words as if they were spoken by the gods themselves: "premium content". Premium content is mostly flash and bangs, eye-candy stuff with not enough effort done towards actual realism. If people are going to spend their money, it better be spent on "premium content" and there better be some company representatives (or their shadowy fellow-mates among the community...) telling how good and realistic the whole thing is...

I think game publishers know where the easy buck is: impressionable masses just follow any bones they get thrown as long as the impressive press-releases and nice "reviews" build this aura of "best game ever". And for that, you don't need to invest millions on research and millions more on a good development team.

A pity indeed...

What we need is someone who is on it for much more than just money - actually, someone who believes in his/her work and is willing to research&develop properly and wait for the returns...in the long run.

Someone like Crammond?

[Someone like Dave kaemmer...but then iRacing is...er...different.]
Old 23 March 12, 10:37   #49
NorthernUnion

Question for all my fellow racers out there....where is Geoff Crammond now? The man is a genius and deserves to step into the limelight again.
NorthernUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 12, 10:59   #50
Chronus

Early 2010, heard a podcast of him explaining he had some unfinished business called GP5, that he still was programming a lot in C++ for a variety of projects (the nature of which he didn't disclose).

There is a pdf of the interview for a magazine, somewhere.