NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Real Life Motorsport

Old 22 February 12, 15:03   #1
MagVanisher

Default Swedish Racing Elite League (Elitserien i Racing)

Any information about this series? It's like the Swedish version of DTM.

http://ttagroup.se

Also, it seems that Volvo will be entering their car on this series.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/22/v...a-touring-car/
MagVanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 12, 18:50   #2
DoubleT

Sweet lookin' Volvo.
I'd love to take that thing for a few laps at Spa or Brno.
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 12, 19:01   #3
zerez86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
Sweet lookin' Volvo.
I'd love to take that thing for a few laps at Spa or Brno.
Actually it's only a silhouette of a Volvo. The car will be build by Solution F (Renault Megane Trophy) as a tubeframe with a Nissan V6 engine. So not really a Volvo (or a real touring car)
zerez86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 12, 02:08   #4
MagVanisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerez86 View Post
Actually it's only a silhouette of a Volvo. The car will be build by Solution F (Renault Megane Trophy) as a tubeframe with a Nissan V6 engine. So not really a Volvo (or a real touring car)
Really, so it's like NASCAR then...
Old 23 February 12, 03:15   #5
Firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Really, so it's like NASCAR then...
No.
NASCAR cars are built by the respective factory like Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota or Dodge.

The TTA cars are constructed by a company who makes purpose racing cars called Solution F cars.

The only constructor has to do is to make a silhouette shell for the car and you can race, saves lots of money rather than having to develop a factory racing car on your own.
Firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 12, 04:43   #6
ivaneurope

The Solution-F makes the Megane for the one make series Megane Trophy. The engine for TTA/ERL will not be different than this from the Megane Trophy.
ivaneurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 12, 10:22   #7
MagVanisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivaneurope View Post
The Solution-F makes the Megane for the one make series Megane Trophy. The engine for TTA/ERL will not be different than this from the Megane Trophy.
Okay, I got your point there... But I hope the constructors can supply their own engines instead of a single engine supplier.
Old 23 February 12, 13:55   #8
def123

Quote:
Okay, I got your point there... But I hope the constructors can supply their own engines instead of a single engine supplier.
Nope, one standard engine for all cars on the grid. They'll also be using KERS...
def123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 12, 14:36   #9
Alex1911

rubish series , having DTM light Silouttes on the swedish kart trakcs is ridiculos to say the least
Alex1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 12, 14:39   #10
Firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1911 View Post
rubish series , having DTM light Silouttes on the swedish kart trakcs is ridiculos to say the least
Why?
Old 25 February 12, 09:12   #11
kvh

What were they thinking when they came up with this name for the series? It sounds like a random online racing league. 'Elite' sounds so tacky. I doubt all drivers will be of the 'elite' kind.
kvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 12, 09:44   #12
LeSunTzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh View Post
What were they thinking when they came up with this name for the series? It sounds like a random online racing league. 'Elite' sounds so tacky. I doubt all drivers will be of the 'elite' kind.
Perhaps you should watch at least one race before making any judgments?
LeSunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 12, 06:10   #13
MagVanisher

Looks like Saab is joining on this series!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/14/s...ng-car-racing/
Old 15 March 12, 06:21   #14
Firefox

Nice to see SAAB in racing and I don't care if it is only a silhouette.
Also in before TTA-haters
Old 15 March 12, 12:47   #15
johnnymat
Donated

Quote:

Looks like Saab is joining on this series!

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/14/s...ng-car-racing/
Those are some very nice looking race cars! I don't care if the cars are silhouette racers or not, as long as the racing is good.
johnnymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 12, 12:54   #16
guybo

Saab and Volvo in a SWEDISH series! Say it ain't so!

I hope I can find these races online in English because I like these tracks.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 12, 00:33   #17
DoubleT

Great to see. I love my Saabs...both of them. Anybody who's ever driven a well prepared Saab, usually buys one. They're so much fun to drive...and very neutral in the handling.
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 12, 16:30   #18
def123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
Great to see. I love my Saabs...both of them. Anybody who's ever driven a well prepared Saab, usually buys one. They're so much fun to drive...and very neutral in the handling.
I highly doubt that car will be anything like the Saabs you own. After all, it's a purpose-built race car with a Nissan engine
Well, at least the cars look nice, let's see what they can do in terms of racing.

On a serious note:
http://www.cisionwire.se/citroen/r/c...i-tta,c9245312
Citroen makes clear, that they do not support the effort from several Swedish Citroen dealers to enter a "C5" into the championship... Doesn't sound like they want to be linked with the series to me.
Plus I think there have been problems with the Carrera Cup Scandinavia which was supposed to be one of the support series for the SREL?! Maybe some of the Swedes on here can clear that up, but I think Porsche has ended the contract for some reasons

I'm still not convinced it was a good idea to split from the well known STCC to found another series. I think it was made clear from both parties, that only one will eventually survive, but I doubt either of them will be as popular as the STCC has been....
Old 18 April 12, 18:42   #19
peg306

Quote:
Originally Posted by def123 View Post
..Plus I think there have been problems with the Carrera Cup Scandinavia which was supposed to be one of the support series for the SREL?! Maybe some of the Swedes on here can clear that up, but I think Porsche has ended the contract for some reasons
Yes they have, and instead given the contract to KMS (Kristoffersson Motorsport) who also runs the Volkswagen/Biogas cars in STCC.
TTA then made their own Porsche Cup - called GT Cup, and has signed a sponsor contract with sunglass maker.. bapbarabaa.. Carrera. So the championship will be called Carrera-GT Cup

It is starting to feel more and more like kindergarten...
peg306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 12, 06:53   #20
Nappe1
Uploader

Saab is not joining anywhere anymore. The company has bankcrupted and all assets are for sale.

If TTA would make a Duessenberg or Cord look-a-like body to their single car series, would that mean Auburn Duessenberg Cord Automobiles (which ended it's existence in 1938) entering in Elitserien i racing?

...I think you got the point.
Nappe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 12, 09:13   #21
ivaneurope

This is not true touring car championship - TTA uses tube frame chassis with Nissan V6 engine. Yes, the cars look good and we have the old school drivers, but I consider it as hybrid between GT-Prototype-TC series.
The STCC on the other hand maybe doesn't have the stars, possibly VW/KMS walkover(similar to the Chevy in WTCC) and maybe some good perfomance by the rest of the big ones - Nykjaer, Rydell and Engstrom. However will the series continiue with only 10 cars and poor driver list?
Old 19 April 12, 11:02   #22
def123

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg306 View Post
Yes they have, and instead given the contract to KMS (Kristoffersson Motorsport) who also runs the Volkswagen/Biogas cars in STCC.
TTA then made their own Porsche Cup - called GT Cup, and has signed a sponsor contract with sunglass maker.. bapbarabaa.. Carrera. So the championship will be called Carrera-GT Cup

It is starting to feel more and more like kindergarten...
Interesting and also kind of riddiculous.
I think your last line is spot on.
Old 19 April 12, 18:09   #23
Firefox

The background is that STCC wanted to run a regulation that the majority og teams didn't want which lead to this.
Kindergarten or not it will be interesting to see what will happen after this season.
Old 19 April 12, 19:49   #24
peg306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappe1 View Post
Saab is not joining anywhere anymore. The company has bankcrupted and all assets are for sale.

If TTA would make a Duessenberg or Cord look-a-like body to their single car series, would that mean Auburn Duessenberg Cord Automobiles (which ended it's existence in 1938) entering in Elitserien i racing?

...I think you got the point.
You are right, SAAB as a manufacturer has nothing to do with this. It is Flash Engineering that decided to run with a SAAB body in some kind of tribute to the brand. Although SAAB Parts and some of the dealers are in as partners if i have understand correctly.
Old 20 April 12, 10:06   #25
def123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
The background is that STCC wanted to run a regulation that the majority og teams didn't want which lead to this.
Kindergarten or not it will be interesting to see what will happen after this season.
It's sad that they couldn't just agree on one set of regulations. That fight between STCC AB and the TTA is just stupid, all because neither wanted to give in. A split to two series won't help anyone.
It's surely going to be interesting, which series will still be there next year or the year after, but I highly doubt any of the series will be as popular as the STCC has been before.
Old 20 April 12, 16:18   #26
Firefox

The thing wasn't just that they couldn't agree.
TTA and STCC had entirely different visions as to what Swedish racing needs.
Personally I think it is a positive trend no matter how childish it looks like.
I worked as a youth representative in karting during a year and I got an inside look of how rigid our organization is, it needs something new and refreshing which TTA offers.
Many Swedish racing fans are chocked because they never believed this could happen in our little peaceful country.
Whatever people say about it was necessary for it to happen as Swedish racing needed a wake up call.
Old 20 April 12, 17:27   #27
def123

Quote:
The thing wasn't just that they couldn't agree.
TTA and STCC had entirely different visions as to what Swedish racing needs.
Personally I think it is a positive trend no matter how childish it looks like.
I worked as a youth representative in karting during a year and I got an inside look of how rigid our organization is, it needs something new and refreshing which TTA offers.
Many Swedish racing fans are chocked because they never believed this could happen in our little peaceful country.
Whatever people say about it was necessary for it to happen as Swedish racing needed a wake up call.
But don't you think it'll hurt Swedish racing? I mean, there will be two series now fighting for a very similar fanbase. You won't get 95% of the fans supporting one of the series, it'll be more like 60/40 or something like that. Sponsors may pull out because of that and that'd hurt the motorsport scene. And personally I don't think that it's a good idea to have some teams run a championship. I just don't think it's right to have competitors run a series, there might always be potential of cheating and therefore new teams may be sceptical...
Old 21 April 12, 05:00   #28
Firefox

No, what would have hurt Swedish racing was continuing like this.
And the only fans who probably wouldn't go to that scene are STCC fanatics (yes I called the that and I will stand by it).
Racing fans will go to a race if its close enough and cheap enough and since STCC and TTA almost runs the same tracks I am sure that will be no problem.
As for sponsor pulling out I don't think that is risk in the first case.
Also running a series, CART did it for almost 28 years until they folded due to sadly, wrong people (IMO) in charge.
The key is to use democratic rules and the right people in charge which is hard obviously but if it worked before and for a long time it will probably work again.
Old 21 April 12, 11:16   #29
ivaneurope

STCC all the way. Boycott the anti-Touring car TTA.
In TTA there is no Volvo, no SAAB, no BMW etc. They use stupid tube frame chassis with Nissan V6 engine and with no resemblance with ordinary road car.
Old 21 April 12, 17:26   #30
def123

Quote:
STCC all the way. Boycott the anti-Touring car TTA.
In TTA there is no Volvo, no SAAB, no BMW etc. They use stupid tube frame chassis with Nissan V6 engine and with no resemblance with ordinary road car.
On that topic, you should really read this:
http://neil-hudson.blogspot.de/2012/...uring-car.html

Just spot on.
Old 22 April 12, 03:52   #31
MagVanisher

Quote:

Just spot on.
That's a nice article there! Still, I can't agree on whether NGTC is better than Super 2000. But at least I understand why some STCC teams broke up to form TTA.
Old 22 April 12, 15:59   #32
Andy81

It's an interesting one, and in a perfect world STCC and BTCC would use the same regulations as WTCC.
But the article is right to suggest that manufacturers aren't attracted to the championships like they were (especially the national ones) so for the national championships something had to change.
For BTCC NGTC has certainly done it's job in most cases, independant teams becoming competetive, and making it much easier to run a touring car with alot of the technical development and parts such as suspension being standard.
Interesting (if i am right in reading between the lines) NGTC costs are comparable with buying a second hand S2000 car rather than building new which isn't nessesarily what's been coming accross. When the teams say "it's just as expencive" you don't really stop to consider the fact that nearly all the teams in the BTCC were using second hand cars. But the change was nessesary to allow smaller teams to both take part in, and compete in the championship.
As for Sweeden, the right thing would have been for everyone to agree and all the teams to go in one direction. It's a real shame that there is this split.
With the driving talent and finances of Sweedish motorsport going in 2 directions instead of one it's inevitable that one championship will die.
But solution F may have been chosen as it was available rather than being right.
There's no reason why they couldn't have taken inspiration from solution F and other standard chassis series like V8 and come up with a specific Sweedish only solution on a similar or better price range to solution F. Having a company in Sweeden building the cars and preparing the engines for the sweedish championship and having the cars 'appear' more like touring cars.
But they put themselves in a position where the split had to happen as there was too much bad blood and an 'ideal' solution may have been a few seasons away.
We'll just have to wait and see now if either championship can survive and just what the racing is like.
Andy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 12, 17:46   #33
Firefox

All the cars are now announced!

http://ttagroup.se/2012/04/27/tta-el...s-i-stockholm/
Old 28 April 12, 09:20   #34
def123

Pretty good looking cars
That black Volvo looks really good, would love to try one But I'm not a fan of that thing they call a BMW. The front looks really weird!

More pictures:
http://www.teknikensvarld.se/bildgal...-presenterade/
Old 28 April 12, 13:26   #35
ivaneurope

Quote:
Pretty good looking cars
That black Volvo looks really good, would love to try one But I'm not a fan of that thing they call a BMW. The front looks really weird!

More pictures:
http://www.teknikensvarld.se/bildgal...-presenterade/
It's not a BMW at all - it is ala BMW Solution-F body with Nissan engine.
Old 30 April 12, 17:40   #36
Firefox

Quote:
It's not a BMW at all - it is ala BMW Solution-F body with Nissan engine.
Yeah like we didn't know that before...
Old 1 May 12, 11:39   #37
Alex1911

one think I don't get, why do you all get intrerested for this when there is no way to actually WTACH it really, sure it may be streamed etc but only in Swedish commentaries of which you don't undertsnad a thing (uless you are from Sweden)

Last edited by Alex1911; 1 May 12 at 11:53.
Alex1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 12, 21:16   #38
Andy81

I don't really get why when the BTCS and Megan Trophy have been using solution F for a while that this is still so much of an unknown.
Youtube doesn't shed much light either.
Old 5 May 12, 10:00   #39
peg306

Some footage of the official test at Gelleråsen and Anderstorp earlier this week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z0HtleidHs
Old 5 May 12, 16:14   #40
Andy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg306 View Post
Some footage of the official test at Gelleråsen and Anderstorp earlier this week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z0HtleidHs
Interesting watch.
There's no question that these are pretty amazing cars for the money they cost.
But there's also no question that these are GT cars. I don't really understand people's desire to call these 'touring cars' there's nothing wrong with GT racing after all.
I do hope this is gonna be uploaded to youtube as i'd like to watch it. But I don't see this as some people have been suggesting as some kind of future for touring cars. It's more likly a possible answer for an off the shelf ready GT car like the G55 for GT3/4 racing.
The very same model chassis the TTA are using has already competed in the Dutch supercar challenge with a bonkers body shell.

http://www.supercarchallenge.nl/nl/s...art_number=221

They even put a V8 engine in that chassis

http://www.caradisiac.com/Solution-F...cher-56997.htm

That's probably the finest looking example of the car i've yet seen.
Old 7 May 12, 03:33   #41
Firefox

Thing is they are neither in my book.

I would call them purpose built racing cars.
Old 7 May 12, 11:36   #42
def123

Quote:
Thing is they are neither in my book.

I would call them purpose built racing cars.
That's why they were chosen in the first place

Any news on the BMW silhouette? Has TTA finally got the approval from BMW to run a 3-series look alike?
Old 7 May 12, 15:27   #43
Firefox

Thee approval is already given but the process of getting the rights to the logos is taking time.
Old 7 May 12, 17:24   #44
def123

Quote:
Thee approval is already given but the process of getting the rights to the logos is taking time.
So they'll definitely change that front before the first event? Like it's now, it just looks riddiculous... The badges are not that important, but that front has to be changed.
Old 8 May 12, 05:12   #45
Firefox

Definitely I don't know, but it will change when the logos are approved that I know.
Old 8 May 12, 15:23   #46
def123

Quote:
Definitely I don't know, but it will change when the logos are approved that I know.
Okay.

Other news:
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7601

One 40 minute-long race each weekend. That's pretty disappointing I think.
Old 8 May 12, 20:01   #47
Firefox

Agree, would have too preferred a sprint and feature race format
Old 9 May 12, 05:52   #48
ColdBrain

Quote:

Just spot on.
This article is a load of bullshit.

S2000 regulations are the closest to the spirit of touring cars: cars derived from a production example. Old DTM, old BTCC, old TC2000, WTCC, with which the concept "touring car" was born, were all derived from production cars. Nowadays, "touring car" is just a phrase thrown by the promoters to name a series.

I don't consider modern DTM a "touring car" championship, despite the "Tourenwagen" in the name. Those cars are almost prototypes, they're faster than GT cars, when it should be the other way around. TTA, Stock Car Brasil, NASCAR aren't touring cars as well.

Now what happens next, let's enter a tube frame prototype in GT, have it FIA-approved and call it a "grand touring car"...
ColdBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 12, 08:16   #49
ivaneurope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpectre View Post
Show some respect to the author.
Old 9 May 12, 09:17   #50
Andy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpectre View Post

S2000 regulations are the closest to the spirit of touring cars: cars derived from a production example. Old DTM, old BTCC, old TC2000, WTCC, with which the concept "touring car" was born, were all derived from production cars. Nowadays, "touring car" is just a phrase thrown by the promoters to name a series.

I don't consider modern DTM a "touring car" championship, despite the "Tourenwagen" in the name. Those cars are almost prototypes, they're faster than GT cars, when it should be the other way around. TTA, Stock Car Brasil, NASCAR aren't touring cars as well.

Now what happens next, let's enter a tube frame prototype in GT, have it FIA-approved and call it a "grand touring car"...
Have we heard the TTA actually call this a touring car championship?
I don't think we have iirc.