NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > NetKar Pro

Old 11 April 11, 16:53   #1
Josepmaria

Default So many tracks ... Forza Italia !!!

From good old DrivingItalia.NET forums ...

http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/i...dpost&p=594190

I hope that there is no problem posting here ...
Josepmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 11, 20:56   #2
DjMC

There shouldn't be, only RaceDepartment seem to have a problem with people posting links on their forums That's probably the most complete list around, but I've also been working on a site: http://nkp.ro

Last edited by DjMC; 4 October 11 at 12:09. Reason: Fixed the dead link
DjMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 11, 22:02   #3
D34N0

Awesome list. Imola and Mid Ohio are 2 tracks I've wanted for ages and there they are!!!!

Thanks Josepmaria!!!

Also @DjMC - I just checked out your site. Brilliant! There were a few tracks on there I've not seen anywhere else. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by D34N0; 12 April 11 at 22:14.
D34N0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 11, 18:47   #4
Josepmaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by D34N0 View Post
Also @DjMC - I just checked out your site. Brilliant!
:thum bup:
Old 27 April 11, 14:59   #5
Josepmaria

Brescia and El Pinar, two new tracks appearing in http://nkp.ro !!!
Old 10 May 11, 17:29   #6
Chronus

I tried Silverstone and Laguna Seca. There is an obvious lack of trackside objects, but the track itself, the sky, everything looks photorealistic.

Plus, if you compare the terrain features (elevation, camber) of these tracks with iRacing's laser-scanned tracks, you'll be pleasantly surprised - very realistic.

Hopefully, they'll be producing (someday) Sebring, Virginia, Watkins Glen, Portimao, Oulton Park and a few others. That would be fantastic.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 11, 00:00   #7
DjMC

There's this video comparing Road America in iRacing & nKPro (originally from Shift via rF):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOFweVHcfv4 (can't work out how to embed)

I've thought about converting Oulton Park but I'm not sure what's the best version, the one by lasercutter?
Old 12 May 11, 08:21   #8
Chronus

Very interesting, nice video! NKP's RA is so similar to that of iRacing's. How did its makers manage it, considering iRacing has tremendous means to achieve a high level of fidelity?

As for Oulton, I've just checked on my rig and re-downloaded the packs. For GTR2, I've tried Oulton by Zwiss, Motorfx and FBI (converted from lasercutter's).

I like all of them. The FBI converted-from-rFactor track is one I have raced on frequently, guess I could say this also looks spot on (comparing it to British GT footage).

Are you going to convert it? That'd be fantastic!

UPDATE:

Zwiss asked lasercutter for permission and used his version as a basis for the conversion (he also mentioned the Race Driver 3 layouts).

Last edited by Chronus; 12 May 11 at 08:27. Reason: CHECKED download section comments and...
Old 13 May 11, 12:47   #9
DjMC

I had a go at converting Oulton Park from rF last night (as there are additional textures by Culmone for this version), but it didn't work. For some reason textures were missing, even with different methods Shame as this is one of the best circuits in the UK.
Old 13 May 11, 16:11   #10
Chronus

DjMC, will you give it another try? Maybe with one of the versions I mentioned above (I know it's from GTR2 but that's the best we have for now)?

It would be great if you managed to make it.
Old 13 May 11, 19:31   #11
DjMC

None of the 3 GTR2 versions are loading into 3dSimEd properly :s It seems the gods are against us on this one Only other option would be to contact lasercutter & see if he has the max after all these years & if he's willing to share it
Old 13 May 11, 20:05   #12
Chronus

That's a possibility. Given that it is your effort and time we're talking about here, let me know if I can do anything (not a track modder, though). You can add my nick to your request to lasercutter. From what I have seen over the years, not only is he knowledgeable, but also a good guy.

Keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 13 May 11, 21:57   #13
DjMC

Just PM'd him on RD. I'll let you know when I receive a response.
Old 14 May 11, 00:53   #14
Chronus

Thank you.
Old 3 June 11, 11:53   #15
AleDriving
Donated

I have put many track for download here :

Last edited by Humpfester; 1 November 11 at 16:37. Reason: spamming
AleDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 11, 22:08   #16
walken

looking for limerock and mosport for nk pro..... found in a trackpack but not working with Nkpro, only with old releases...

any hints ?
thx
walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 11, 23:34   #17
DjMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by walken View Post
looking for limerock and mosport for nk pro..... found in a trackpack but not working with Nkpro, only with old releases...

any hints ?
thx
Hmm, what track pack? If it's a netKar namie one then they won't work. Lime Rock was recently released for nKPro by RSR, I don't think Mosport exists though.

Just a note on nKP.ro, the site was hosted by the guys behind nKWorld, & that has now gone so I'll have to wait until the weekend before getting the database backup (then I'll try to restore it on my original host).
Old 29 September 11, 08:10   #18
OlivierMDVY

How's the track quality compare to rF? I ask you because most of the time I found the track quality for rF not so good except for the tracks designed by Com8, VirtuaLM, ...
OlivierMDVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 11, 11:12   #19
WallyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierMDVY View Post
How's the track quality compare to rF? I ask you because most of the time I found the track quality for rF not so good except for the tracks designed by Com8, VirtuaLM, ...
In my opinion, it's about the same, with the addon tracks, with the same kind of variation in quality. Some tracks end up being bumpier in NKP, because of the track surface model somehow being different (I don't really understand the reason, not being a track modder).
WallyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 11, 15:55   #20
erictheez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjMC View Post
There's this video comparing Road America in iRacing & nKPro (originally from Shift via rF):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOFweVHcfv4 (can't work out how to embed)
This begs the question "Why pay hundreds of dollars for the cars and tracks (plus subscription) for iRacing when netKar Pro seems to have the same stuff at the same quality for a fraction of the price.

I like iRacing in some ways but I'm not paying $12 per car FFS.
erictheez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 11, 16:12   #21
freejrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheez1 View Post
This begs the question "Why pay hundreds of dollars for the cars and tracks (plus subscription) for iRacing when netKar Pro seems to have the same stuff at the same quality for a fraction of the price.

I like iRacing in some ways but I'm not paying $12 per car FFS.
Not only is it a fraction of the price of iRenting the quality of all aspects of the physics are MUCH, MUCH better. As a result the FFB is also better.

NetKar Pro Blows iRental clean away...........except for the online. Even after the latest update for NetKar which improved the Netcode a lot there still seems to be very few people racing online. Had some good races though but due to the low numbers I prefer RACE 07 for online racing.

Come on people forget iPaying, come and race on NetKar Pro and experience a realistic tyre model for a change.

For 14 Euro it would be rude not to.
freejrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 11, 18:45   #22
OlivierMDVY

Ok but unfortunately all the addon tracks for NkPro are not as good as in iRacing. For example the LimeRock track.

But I have to admit that the physics, tyre model and ffb are excellents in NkPro.
Old 30 September 11, 20:14   #23
57goldtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by freejrs View Post
Not only is it a fraction of the price of iRenting the quality of all aspects of the physics are MUCH, MUCH better. As a result the FFB is also better.

NetKar Pro Blows iRental clean away...........except for the online. Even after the latest update for NetKar which improved the Netcode a lot there still seems to be very few people racing online. Had some good races though but due to the low numbers I prefer RACE 07 for online racing.

Come on people forget iPaying, come and race on NetKar Pro and experience a realistic tyre model for a change.

For 14 Euro it would be rude not to.
I've have to agree. I've tried iR twice now for a total of 4 months and personally it just left me cold. By contrast my recent discovery of NK has been a total revelation. I hope/assume there will be a greater take up as word spreads.
57goldtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 11, 13:16   #24
DjMC

Quote:
Ok but unfortunately all the addon tracks for NkPro are not as good as in iRacing. For example the LimeRock track.
The problem's the quality varies so greatly between add-on tracks. Some look brilliant whilst others offend every ones of your senses

Here's an example (posted a while back). It's Road America from NFS shift via rFactor (I think):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOFweVHcfv4 (sorry the clip doesn't seem to be embedding properly)

The track's pretty accurate, the problem was a poor conversion. Crap texture quality & numerous graphical bugs, all of which can be fixed just by taking a little more time & effort during converting.
Old 3 October 11, 20:17   #25
OlivierMDVY

For example Lime Rock Park is not good at all! very bad textures in my opinion and the track layout is not perfect...
Old 4 October 11, 12:06   #26
DjMC

Quote:
For example Lime Rock Park is not good at all! very bad textures in my opinion and the track layout is not perfect...
Well I actually made a comparison vid' between the iR & nKPro ver. there are a couple of corners which are noticeably different, but it's not as far off (from the real thing) as some tracks.
Old 4 October 11, 12:21   #27
freejrs

Quote:
No it's not perfect no. Pretty damn good though and guess what? It didn't cost $14, it was free.
Old 4 October 11, 17:38   #28
Chronus

Quote:
Well I actually made a comparison vid' between the iR & nKPro ver. there are a couple of corners which are noticeably different, but it's not as far off (from the real thing) as some tracks.
Complementing you post...

I actually made video comparisons (Pat Long's onboards and several others) between real life Limerock and the version we have for NKP (which, incidentally, is similar (the same?) to the ones we have for GTR EVO or rFactor). Honestly, I see no significant differences - maybe the last corner is somewhat shorter than the real life version, and perhaps the real life track is just that little bit wider (less than 1 virtual meter).

As freejrs said, these tracks are FREE and, if the bumps and undulations are precise enough, with the proper layout NKP/GTR2/GTR Evo/rFactor tracks are as good as iRacing's.

Some will jump and say iRacing has laser scanned tracks. So? You may have the most accurate digital readings from tracks, if the track modeller (in the case of iRacing, the NTS model or the OTS model) has issues, the virtual track will be as good as any without laser scans.
Old 5 October 11, 08:50   #29
OlivierMDVY

Yes I agree but, coming from iRacing, sometimes it is a little bit hard for me to drive on a track with no nice textures for example.... but for sure it's free so....
Old 5 October 11, 12:51   #30
OlivierMDVY

By the way I'm trying to find good web sites to download tracks: http://nkp.ro, http://netkartracks.wordpress.com (good trackpack here), what else?

Thanks!
Old 5 October 11, 14:15   #31
DjMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Complementing you post...

I actually made video comparisons (Pat Long's onboards and several others) between real life Limerock and the version we have for NKP (which, incidentally, is similar (the same?) to the ones we have for GTR EVO or rFactor).
It's Uzzi's from rFactor.

Spa in iRacing's the best looking track I've ever driven, but still I'd go for a less impressive track & better physics (dangerous statement there ) in nKPro anyday. Also FVA has laser-scanned tracks, so we might still (one day) get to drive them in nKPro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fkQOHEkLBk

If think those two are the main sites, although some forums do have a pretty good list of tracks as well: http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/i...pic=49407&st=0 & http://rsracing.forumotion.com/t537-...-addon-tracker
Old 5 October 11, 14:23   #32
freejrs

Quote:
Also FVA has laser-scanned tracks, so we might still (one day) get to drive them in nKPro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fkQOHEkLBk

That would be sweet!!!
Old 5 October 11, 15:15   #33
Chronus

Quote:
It's Uzzi's from rFactor.

Spa in iRacing's the best looking track I've ever driven, but still I'd go for a less impressive track & better physics (dangerous statement there ) in nKPro anyday. Also FVA has laser-scanned tracks, so we might still (one day) get to drive them in nKPro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fkQOHEkLBk

If think those two are the main sites, although some forums do have a pretty good list of tracks as well: http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/i...pic=49407&st=0 & http://rsracing.forumotion.com/t537-...-addon-tracker

Yeah, I have a tab open at all times to drivingitalia's section of extra circuits (for NKP, RACE07, rFactor).

As for iRacing's Spa...Very few tracks have impressed me as much as VLM's Sebring and Mid-Ohio and SIMBIN's Laguna Seca.

I said before, will say it again, there are 2 things I consider awesome in iRacing (not laser scanning, for sure):
- lighting and colors
- object placement and plane clipping

Both items contribute to a phenomenal ambiance, and still impart no significant FPS penalty.

Again, laser scanning, as people understand it, is but a buzzword. Without a proper track modeller, all the data collected during laser scanning is USELESS. For some reason, most people seem to think that "laser scanning" comes together with the software that interprets the data and models the tracks.

As others have said it eloquently, laser scanning + proper track modelling is rather useless if the cars that drive in them are not properly modelled.

As for NKP and laser scanning...

I believe I read somewhere that the developers of rFactor and also NKP (Stefano) have no plans in the near future for laser scanning technology. That in itself presents an interesting idea (not actually new): simulation developers do not need laser scanning for making highly accurate tracks. A fantastic tool, yes, but there are other ways of designing accurate tracks.
Old 5 October 11, 15:17   #34
OlivierMDVY

Quote:

Spa in iRacing's the best looking track I've ever driven
Agree with you, this track is really nice. I love when you are at the highest point of the track you can see the starting grid far away...
Old 5 October 11, 17:33   #35
DjMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I believe I read somewhere that the developers of rFactor and also NKP (Stefano) have no plans in the near future for laser scanning technology. That in itself presents an interesting idea (not actually new): simulation developers do not need laser scanning for making highly accurate tracks. A fantastic tool, yes, but there are other ways of designing accurate tracks.
Well with nKPro I'm sure it comes down to budget (after all Kunos paid to scan Fiorano/Mugello/Nurburgring for FVA), as he'd never currently make that money back with nKPro. I also remember Kunos saying that's the choice they had in the early days of nKPro, create original (fictional) tracks or license small circuits no ones ever heard of. Although as the circuits in nKPro have real place names a lot of people think they do actually exist (I even had to check if Newbury did as I had never heard of it before)

I'd imagine with rFactor they could as they have loads of tracks scanned for rFPro (does it work written like that? ), including the Nordschleife, which most sim-racers would quite literally kill for! I dunno if that would devalue their pro product though.
Old 6 October 11, 13:30   #36
marcocale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyM View Post
.... Some tracks end up being bumpier in NKP, because of the track surface model somehow being different (I don't really understand the reason, not being a track modder).
Right
It seems that netKar is way more sensible to mesh quality than ISI (or ISI based) simulators.
A straight conversion of the track mesh many times doesn't work well in netKar and any track modder should smooth the original mesh before releasing conversions.

Fortunately inside 3DSMax there are appropriate tools to do it. Usually it works in 98% of cases if the tracks is quite recent, but probably if you go to convert an old GPL tracks, you'll have to rebuild the mesh.
Unfortunately not all track modders seems to use (know?) this tools.

Just for example all official track of Radiators community (http://www.radiators-champ.com/), both converted or scratch made, are smoothed with this tools to assure a better performance in netKar.
marcocale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 11, 17:58   #37
Chronus

Wow, marcocale, short but solid, informative post.
Old 7 October 11, 11:15   #38
marcocale

Can do also something more even if it is not a track mod thread.
I can share at least a "first step" method to smooth the tracks that works pretty well, assuming the starting mesh is acceptable.

I'll try to explain (difficult for me in English), moreover it's long time I have no time to work on Max so could be I'm not totally precise.

Credits have to be given to f.gek of Radiators (named Bessie from friends ) for all this instructions, gave me some time ago to help me to smooth my work.

Basically

1) select a sector of the track (set as an editable poly)
2) ALT+Q to switch in isolation mode
3) Vertex mode: select all vertex and WELD (the number of vertex will decrease)
4) Edge mode: REMOVE all edges that are not orthogonal (more or less) to
try to obtain a "regular" squared wireframe
5) REMOVE all free (not connected vertex) that should lay on some edges due to the edge you have removed on point 4)
6) select the first edge
7) Ring (you should see all parallel edges become red. If not check if
there is some isolated vertex near the point where the chain is
interrupted)
8) Connect
9) Repeat 7 and 8 to have at least 4 "lanes"

More or less DONE!
Then you have to check if there are holes between grass and track.
Eventually correct moving the vertex in an appropriate way.

You'll surprised to drive again your tracks, now smoothed in mesh discontinuity, but still with real "bumps" modeled.
Naturally the result may vary depending how good was the original mesh

If at this point there are still isolated "artificial" bumps, you have another possibility to use a sort of digital "scraper" locally.
Unfortunately I used it only one time (successfully by the way) and since it's a lot of time I dont work on tracks, I don't remember exactly how I proceeded.
But if needed I'll try to search my notes...

Hope it helps, let me know!
Old 7 October 11, 11:35   #39
Chronus

Even better!

Great post!
Old 7 October 11, 12:14   #40
marcocale

Even if logical, I forgotten to say unequivocally that this is something that only the original track maker/converter can do on Max model, nothing that can be done on netKar .kto files.

So nothing that can be done after the release of the track without involving the owner of track Max model.
Old 30 November 11, 18:43   #41
DjMC

Quote:
None of the 3 GTR2 versions are loading into 3dSimEd properly :s It seems the gods are against us on this one Only other option would be to contact lasercutter & see if he has the max after all these years & if he's willing to share it
Ok I never got a response from lasercutter, but I am working on a conversion from another ver.

Just a sneaky preview
Old 29 March 12, 02:27   #42
boons4

Hi Guys.
I just started on netkar coming from one mth of playing iracing, I am very impressed with netkar.. gosh.. a pity it seems to be more open wheelers sim.. as I personally love road cars the most. Ok guys i wish to know are all the tracks used in say rfactor and GTr2 can be converted to netkar version? I am so amazed by this? I think i can't resist the low cost and should be paying for the full version soon..

I understand some of the free converted tacks don't look nice. Can you all tell me which ones are the better ones? So i can try download it? I can't accept the really poor converted free tracks because I feel it degraded netkar pro awesomness haha.. Tks guys.
boons4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 12, 09:52   #43
boons4

Hi guys.. can u all advise.. how come this website has no "new member sign up button"? on my pc i cant find this function.. we must be a member in order to do downloads right? Tks
http://nkp.ro/?p=218
Old 31 March 12, 12:33   #44
bgis

Be carefull what tracks you install. I went wild on installing a bunch of tracks at once and now I am having a real problem with the game crashing.
bgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 12, 21:25   #45
DjMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boons4 View Post
Ok guys i wish to know are all the tracks used in say rfactor and GTr2 can be converted to netkar version? I am so amazed by this? I think i can't resist the low cost and should be paying for the full version soon..

I understand some of the free converted tacks don't look nice. Can you all tell me which ones are the better ones? So i can try download it? I can't accept the really poor converted free tracks because I feel it degraded netkar pro awesomness haha.. Tks guys.
Hi, converting from rF or SimBin title's generally easier than other titles, most tracks will convert without too many problems. The best tracks to try are definitely the RSR sratch builds (Imola, Mugello). Also other stuff they worked on, Monza, Magny Cours etc. Some of Gary's conversions are really nice too, Hungaoring, Suzuka & Istanbul for example. I'd also give my conversion of Oulton Park a try & Blackwood seems to be popular as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boons4 View Post
Hi guys.. can u all advise.. how come this website has no "new member sign up button"? on my pc i cant find this function.. we must be a member in order to do downloads right? Tks
http://nkp.ro/?p=218
You don't need to sign-up to download, with that track there's no download link as explained at the bottom of this page: to stop RSR using his tracks in their league, Albert “McSaltens” Sultan has placed all of his tracks in one password protected archive, making providing these tracks to the community unfeasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgis View Post
Be carefull what tracks you install. I went wild on installing a bunch of tracks at once and now I am having a real problem with the game crashing.
What problem are you having? The only thing I've noticed from installing lots of tracks is the track selection menu taking a while to load. Maybe your folder structure was messed up or something.
Old 4 April 12, 13:24   #46
boons4

Hi bro djmc tks so much for ur reply ! I manage to down the tracks I want. Except one my best best most wanted track! Nurburgring! Our Internet here block connection n I can't go italiaracing website at all. Can't even email them to ask why ah. It keep says my ip is not determined something like this. If anyone can help me down nurburgring legally I will be so happy. Netkcar physics is the best best I tired on my pc! Tks to bro help here!
Old 26 April 12, 15:50   #47
zaril

http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/i...pic=48402&st=0
zaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 12, 05:00   #48
bgis

@ DjMC I was getting a crash when the game was loading shadows.nko. I reinstalled and everything is good now. I was really blown away by the quality of some (%99)of the tracks I dloaded. Nords is great fun and looks great. Thank you and very nice job on Oulton, thats one of my favorites, Oulton and Knutstorp= a fun few hours for me.

My game auto updated for me tonight, first time it,s ever done that!
bgis is offline   Reply With Quote