NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GT Legends

Old 10 April 12, 21:41   #1
Nev Roberts
Donated

Default D Type Sound

Hi Guys,

I've been told by someone who's driven a Coombs Mk2 Jaguar that from about 4,000rpm the engine has a magnificent growl.

Is there a sound guru who could make that sort of sound for the D Type in the 50's sports car mod, which I must say I'm enjoying immensely.

Using GTL Car tools by Nappe1 [must have imho] I've set up a grid of cars of the period which really adds to the enjoyment.

Cheers,
Nev
Nev Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 00:09   #2
gwaldock

Although I never had the opportunity to drive a D Type, I owned a 1970 E Type D.H.C. (4.2L + 2x Stromberg carbs) for 1 year and a 1967 E type D.H.C. (4.2L + 3x SU carbs) for 14 years. I removed (and stored) the stock exhaust system of the 1967 car and installed a custom glaspak/no "resonator" solution that boosted performance and made some of the sweetest sounds that I have ever heard from a six-cylinder engine.

If you are unable to find an authentic D Type (3.8L + 3x SU carbs) set of sounds; IMHO "DucFreak's" sounds are closer to my actual, healthy 4.2L Jaguar E Type roadster than anything else available for any SIM. His work is here at NG: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=16145
gwaldock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 00:45   #3
Nev Roberts
Donated

Thanks gwaldock,

I'll give them a try.

Cheers,
Nev
Old 11 April 12, 06:15   #4
Nappe1
Uploader

Straight sixes from 50's have tendency to have some awesomness in their sound note.
The best ones to come my mind are Jag's 3.2 - 4.2 which were used in several cars as well as the Hudson's huge 5.6 liter (308.5 cu) flathead straight six. used in Commodores and Hornets. Especially the 7-X race config with two huge side drafters (legendary Twin - H power) the sound near 5000 rpm (which is pretty much as high as it goes... side valve engines were not screamers.) is earth shattering.

and thanks for the compliments, hopefully you'll like the new version even more. It is coming soon...
Nappe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 09:26   #5
Nev Roberts
Donated

Hi Nappe1,

My pleasure, you were very helpful just over twelve months ago with my queries about your utility.
Then I decided my old system wouldn't like XP service pack 3 so didn't install the tool, now I have a nice system on my Hyperstimulator and your programme is making it even more enjoyable.

Re using duc's Jag sounds I've had a quick look at the files and am a little confused.in The DType there are two sets of sounds b and c in Duc's files there is only one called d in the Mk2 and E type team folders and in the sound folder a whole range of sounds like idle, start etc., which look like they would all have to be renamed.
It might all be a bit complicated for this old geezer.
Cheers,
Nev