NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Assetto Corsa

Old 23 December 11, 16:26   #1
phil23

Default Assetto Corsa coming in 2012

The site is now showing info on their new title. Looks exciting.

http://www.assettocorsa.info/
phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 11, 18:29   #2
st
Uploader

At last mod-able and offline racing.
Lets hope that it gets released in 2012.
st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 12, 17:30   #3
Butch

Interesting.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 12, 11:14   #4
jomardi

why is no one, open new them of AC ?
jomardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 12, 16:32   #5
zaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomardi View Post
why is no one, open new them of ac ?
+1
zaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 12, 17:43   #6
zaril

Assetto Corsa
Great things happen when people support indie software houses by purchasing original products. As you might know, from 1st December 2011, all the earnings of Kunos Simulazioni from netKar Pro and Ferrari Virtual Academy are exclusively used to fund the licensing costs for Assetto Corsa.

Official Licensing requires a huge effort in terms of money, time and resources. When we decided to exclusively reinvest all our earnings from netkar Pro and FVA in Assetto Corsa content licensing, we hoped that the community would have appreciated this effort, but we didn't imagine how much our decision would have been appreciated.

That's why our next licensing announcement, is very special to us, because thanks to the support of all of our customers we are be able to include in Assetto Corsa an iconic new track. This new license will be revealed very soon on Assetto Corsa official site: stay tuned.
Old 15 March 12, 19:31   #7
axel linther

Good news!!!
axel linther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 12, 21:25   #8
vondutch51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaril View Post
That's why our next licensing announcement, is very special to us, because thanks to the support of all of our customers we are be able to include in Assetto Corsa an iconic new track. This new license will be revealed very soon on Assetto Corsa official site: stay tuned.

Nordscheilfe perhaps???
vondutch51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 12, 12:43   #9
Chronus

Quote:
Assetto Corsa
Great things happen when people support indie software houses by purchasing original products. As you might know, from 1st December 2011, all the earnings of Kunos Simulazioni from netKar Pro and Ferrari Virtual Academy are exclusively used to fund the licensing costs for Assetto Corsa.

Official Licensing requires a huge effort in terms of money, time and resources. When we decided to exclusively reinvest all our earnings from netkar Pro and FVA in Assetto Corsa content licensing, we hoped that the community would have appreciated this effort, but we didn't imagine how much our decision would have been appreciated.

Intelligent, sensible and truthful post.

I am certain enough (many) of us will support and help this new project.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 12, 17:15   #10
Vette4Life

I asked a refund for rF2 and I'll buy Assetto Corsa instead, hope I can run it on my PC
Vette4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 12, 06:17   #11
zaril

http://i.imgur.com/8lzJ0.jpg

Aris:

physics engine rule n.1: Do not try "tricks" from old experiences on your tires. They will bite you back.
physics engine rule n.2: Treat your suspension geometry with respect. millimeter by millimeter...
physics engine rule n.3: No matter the car, if it's hard to keep it on the road, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by CX650; 6 April 12 at 22:59. Reason: Image size rule.
Old 26 March 12, 16:03   #12
DoubleT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette4Life View Post
I asked a refund for rF2 and I'll buy Assetto Corsa instead, hope I can run it on my PC
Not to hijack this thread; But did you not like RF2? or Did it not run properly on your pc?
Just curious....
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 12, 16:07   #13
Vette4Life

I couldn't run it much on my PC to be honest... It's still in pretty early stage anyway but I didn't want it to take dust
Old 28 March 12, 14:45   #14
zaril

http://i.imgur.com/HK2PH.jpg

Old 28 March 12, 14:54   #15
hoboholic
Hobo strikes again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette4Life View Post
I couldn't run it much on my PC to be honest... It's still in pretty early stage anyway but I didn't want it to take dust
If rF2 wouldn't run well on your PC I don't know how much luck you're going to have with Assetto Corsa
hoboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 12, 17:48   #16
Vette4Life

It's gonna be properly optimize, unlike rF

netKar Pro was nothing to run all max so...
Old 6 April 12, 15:10   #17
zaril

http://i.imgur.com/nNSLW.jpg

Old 13 April 12, 13:05   #18
zaril

http://www.assettocorsa.net/?p=2080
Old 4 May 12, 15:16   #19
zaril

http://www.assettocorsa.net/?p=2129
Old 7 May 12, 17:38   #20
zaril

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdlUR...layer_embedded
Old 7 May 12, 18:15   #21
gears
Donated

Wow awesome stuff!
gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 12, 11:21   #22
freejrs

Bloody impressive. The graphics are much nicer than any other next gen sims.....just looks really clean. There are certain other games which are going for the very over the top shiny approach, which imo looks total rubbish, it's good to see AC is going for a realistic look.

And you can guarantee that the FFB would already be bloody amazing in this. Whilst a certain other screenshot sim is still failing in pre alpha to match what netKar Pro already has.
freejrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 12, 14:23   #23
gears
Donated

Quote:
Great to try Assetto Corsa, that although is still a work in progress, is already shockingly good. We have all have dribbled after the amazing screenshots they showed, but itís incredible to see the same level of details at full speed. The scenary is simply amazing. It looks gorgeous, and feels fantastic on the wheel. The laser scanning gives you a very nice feeling while driving.

You all know how good is the force feedback on netKar PRO. You will be shocked by AC! The car feels really natural. Easy to understand whatís happing all the time. Even in a fast corner you continuously feel your wheel reacting to the little bumps on the track. It just feels damn right!
And all this is only in the current stage of development, with few months ahead from the public release. According to Kunos there is still a huge margin for improvements, and I canít really imagine what will be in our hands when this sim will be released.
Ö
During our day of testing we all noticed a strange behaviour of the car on some curbs in few conditions. Guess what? The day after that issue wasnít there anymore. Stefano woke up really early in the morning to understand what was wrong, and fixed the issue...
- Andrea Lojelo

http://www.racedepartment.com/2012/0...ideos-updated/
Old 8 May 12, 15:23   #24
Kazumi

Quote:
During our day of testing we all noticed a strange behaviour of the car on some curbs in few conditions. Guess what? The day after that issue wasnít there anymore. Stefano woke up really early in the morning to understand what was wrong, and fixed the issue...
Kazumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 12, 15:16   #25
DoubleT

Just look at the framerate....NICE. That thing is super smooth. Can't wait.
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 12, 09:02   #26
zaril

Casillo:
FINALLY the particle system is in.. very flexible, performances are not bad either.
Tyre smoke, sand, grass pieces, sparks yes.. flying car parts? No, could make carbon explosions with particles but not car parts.
rain spray from the tyres? yes, rain drops? dont think so
Coding the tyre thermal model while waiting for Skyrim to dl from Steam.My wife got Kinect so I might hack some code with it tmr
Old 17 June 12, 10:13   #27
shinsou

its going to be a hell of a racing simulator.
shinsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 12, 20:25   #28
KXracer

Question

Quote:
Casillo:

Coding the tyre thermal model while waiting for Skyrim to dl from Steam.My wife got Kinect so I might hack some code with it tmr
That sounds illegal...
KXracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 12, 16:24   #29
Totenkopf
Unico Grande Amore

Probably this one will be the simulator which will be "side by side" in my heart together with GTR2......
Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 12, 17:42   #30
fisheracing
Ancient Uploader

I have personally commited countless hours of time into modding and skinning GTR2 that AC seems like the next logical step for me to move towards concerning the 'nexgen' game platform environment. Should hopefully be a smooth transition. (fingers crossed)
fisheracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 12, 14:30   #31
freejrs

I look forward to seeing mods being created for AC. For whatever reasons there was not much content made for NetKar Pro so hopefully Kunos will make AC very mod friendly.....And what with rFactor 2 being the only other title which is offering mod support (who knows GTR3??) we should see some great stuff produced for what I am confident will be the premier racing sim of this next generation.
freejrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 12, 22:39   #32
KXracer

Cross our fingers that there will be many high quality mods. Honestly I'd like there to be only high quality mods but that's very wishful thinking.
Old 20 June 12, 15:30   #33
PortuguesePilot

the only problem with netKar PRO was the fact that it was NOT mod-oriented. that, in itself, caused netKar PRO to be the one of the best sims out there that didn't sell as well as it could have. would it have been as moddable as rFactor or GTR2 and it would have out-sold any of them. imagine the amount of revenue available for licensing now if that path was taken? for the sake of the future, i do hope that AC will be mod-friendly. if not, the same fate that fell upon netKar PRO will ensue again: a great simulation that sells a few copies to die-hard fans... and nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC's Official Site
We recognize that in the simracing community there are a lot of talented people able to recreate cars and tracks with accuracy and passion, often to a better standard than commercial products. As such, we have decided to design Assetto Corsa as a modular simulation system that allows players to express themselves at their best by creating the mods they desire.

Therefore, within Assetto Corsa the interface, overlays and the core software are designed to be fully customizable allowing additional mods made by the simracing community to enhance the simulation, allowing it to thrive. Can’t find your favourite car or track? With Assetto Corsa, you will be able to make it yourself!
this, right here, is the correct way to go. personally, i value this way more than eye candy. i do hope the developers stay true to these words. make it so and you shall have my full support.
PortuguesePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 12, 16:47   #34
shinsou

Agreed, partially it's these few lines which raise my hopes for a "next gen" simulator. Also knowing that netKar PRO and FVA already had a great physic model, combined with precise ffb, from which the strong points are extracted, is another bearer of hope. Lastly, from their blogs and interviews you get the true impression of real passionate developers, who give all they got to deliver the next standard.

As you see, I have high hopes on this title and wish KUNOS all the best to set a new (an evolutionary) standard in the sim-genre .

shinsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 12, 20:51   #35
David Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
the only problem with netKar PRO was the fact that it was NOT mod-oriented. that, in itself, caused netKar PRO to be the one of the best sims out there that didn't sell as well as it could have. would it have been as moddable as rFactor or GTR2 and it would have out-sold any of them.
I completely disagree. GTR2 did not sell well because it was moddable.It sold because it looked pretty good for a PC title at the time, had licensed content, pretty good AI, catered for a range of customers, not just the hard-core, and was available in shops and from major on-line retailers like Amazon.

netKar pro did not sell well because it had no real cars or tracks, no AI, and critically for an on-line only title - weak on-line capabilities initially. Add in the hard-core only approach and the fact it was only available from the netKar Pro website and you were not going to get GTR2 beating sales.

The good news is AC has addressed most of these issues. It will have real cars and tracks. It will have AI. Hopefully the on-line issues have been banished for good. I think the hard-core only approach has been dropped, and the on-line only sales is no longer the huge handicap it was in 2006
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 12, 23:22   #36
PortuguesePilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
I completely disagree. GTR2 did not sell well because it was moddable.It sold because it looked pretty good for a PC title at the time, had licensed content, pretty good AI, catered for a range of customers, not just the hard-core, and was available in shops and from major on-line retailers like Amazon.

netKar pro did not sell well because it had no real cars or tracks, no AI, and critically for an on-line only title - weak on-line capabilities initially. Add in the hard-core only approach and the fact it was only available from the netKar Pro website and you were not going to get GTR2 beating sales.

The good news is AC has addressed most of these issues. It will have real cars and tracks. It will have AI. Hopefully the on-line issues have been banished for good. I think the hard-core only approach has been dropped, and the on-line only sales is no longer the huge handicap it was in 2006
you may completely disagree but, much as you speak for yourself - and your points are all valid, i must add - i also spoke for myself. meaning: i wouldn't buy netKar PRO over GTR2 even if it was sold on shops and had real cars (it did got real cars down the line). i simply wouldn't buy netKar PRO or any other un-moddable game because of content. better said, because of the lack of it.

the only thing that'll make me buy a non-moddable game will be tons and tons of original quality content, like today's Gran Turismo or Forza franchises offer. what other game do you know that offers that much official content?

moddability offers you the chance of having all that content. plus, it offers you the chance of having those lovely, rare, relatively obscure models added. the NSU TT, the Mercedes 300 SEL 6.8 AMG, the Wiesmann GT MF5, the Maserati 450S, etc... what game offers those cars originally? even if you come up with an answer, what game allows you to have basically all the cars in one place? what is true for cars is also true for tracks. perhaps even more so.

if you're a game developer and you aren't filthy rich like Turn 10/Microsoft or EA or Sony/Polyphony Digital, then you won't be able to compete with them content-wise. it just isn't possible. what would be a good alternative, then? provide the communities with a good simulation physics engine and some nice graphics, allow it to be easily moddable, provide some tools to allow for said modding and voilŠ! early adopters will buy the game. they will start to produce mods. eventually those mods will get great. people who didn't initially bought the game will notice the mods and all the buzz around them. they will get the game. they will also produce more mods that will bring even more people over who will eventually build more mods and so on, so forth.

this approach will maximize revenue (because you didn't have to spend a lot of money getting licenses, and you don't have to pay an army of modellers for 300+ 3D models, so all you get from sales will count as profit) and, as the mods increase, the sellability of the game does so too.

when well made, mods provide the basis of what will eventually make a game great: the incremental prospect of continuous quality add-ons. if the right tools, tutorials and - most of all - passion is provided, then the quality of the mods will surely be very, very high, as AC's crew admitted so themselves. rFactor and GTR2, as i mentioned in my previous post, are two very fine examples of it, but there are quite a few more. basically all the good games that allowed for modding have sold extremely well (GPL, early NFS games, F1 Games, ISI titles, SimBin titles, etc). and this tenet actually transcends racing games (Unreal Tournament, Half Life, Flight Simulator, World of WarCraft, etc). games that don't allow for modding are immediately confined to their original content and the only alternative to new content is restricted to official DLCs that are usually expensive on your pocket. these game will have a much shorter lifespan. the very few exceptions you may be thinking about will only prove the rule.

so you may well "completely disagree" with me, but as much as i think the way i do, surely there are others out there who, actually, completely agree with me on all of the points i expressed above.

cheers.
Old 21 June 12, 23:13   #37
DucFreak

Quote:
(...)
if you're a game developer and you aren't filthy rich like Turn 10/Microsoft or EA or Sony/Polyphony Digital, then you won't be able to compete with them content-wise. it just isn't possible. what would be a good alternative, then? provide the communities with a good simulation physics engine and some nice graphics, allow it to be easily moddable, provide some tools to allow for said modding and voilŠ! early adopters will buy the game. they will start to produce mods. eventually those mods will get great. people who didn't initially bought the game will notice the mods and all the buzz around them. they will get the game. they will also produce more mods that will bring even more people over who will eventually build more mods and so on, so forth.

this approach will maximize revenue (because you didn't have to spend a lot of money getting licenses, and you don't have to pay an army of modellers for 300+ 3D models, so all you get from sales will count as profit) and, as the mods increase, the sellability of the game does so too.

when well made, mods provide the basis of what will eventually make a game great: the incremental prospect of continuous quality add-ons. if the right tools, tutorials and - most of all - passion is provided, then the quality of the mods will surely be very, very high, as AC's crew admitted so themselves. rFactor and GTR2, as i mentioned in my previous post, are two very fine examples of it, but there are quite a few more. basically all the good games that allowed for modding have sold extremely well (GPL, early NFS games, F1 Games, ISI titles, SimBin titles, etc). and this tenet actually transcends racing games (Unreal Tournament, Half Life, Flight Simulator, World of WarCraft, etc). games that don't allow for modding are immediately confined to their original content and the only alternative to new content is restricted to official DLCs that are usually expensive on your pocket. these game will have a much shorter lifespan. the very few exceptions you may be thinking about will only prove the rule.

so you may well "completely disagree" with me, but as much as i think the way i do, surely there are others out there who, actually, completely agree with me on all of the points i expressed above.

cheers.
Well, I do disagree with you there, at least regarding the quoted bit.

You're taking for granted that modding is and will always be the "be all, end all", the salvation of gaming titles. Could be. Might be. But is it really so, if we look around, to other titles?
...Should any devs trust in such premise for their commercial title?
While modding can open possibilies, for racing-sims the truth is the really good mods are an extremely tiny percentage in the big poluted sea of half-arsed stuff (to say in the most polite way). Why should it be different now?

In the paper, modding is fantastic, and as an hobby it is wonderfull (for sure it is for me).
....but in reality?

Users overrate and underrate mods sometimes with the most confusing feedback and points of view. Value and devalue things in the most odd ways.
Not less uncommon is the "use-and-throw-away" and "gimme mooaarr" way of things. It's like things with modding go on a trend or fashion, not for what the works are really worth for.
You also get a truck load of crappy "mongrel" stuff, with the common rushed conversion in the mix. It's very, very rare to see the propper well made stuff.
A nice looking mod is rarely the best in physics. And vice-versa. Same for sounds. Or for simple accuracy/details that should have been there. Etc, etc, etc, etc (ad infinitum).
It can also be an absolute mess for someone that plays online, especially if its a newcomer to the genre.
Ripping your fellow modder is also still in the order of the day.
There are no standards set before hand, much less organization. It's all desorganized, chaotic, unresponsible.

IMHO, modding can only really work if you have a complete mod-team, composed of individuals with great skills for all those needed areas, to produce a nice mod, as a complete package. And even that is a very big "IF". It can take years to deliver the product, when it isn't abandoned/canceled half-way.
If we're talking about the odd well made add-on track and/or car, made and released in separate, we may hope for the best. But then, you get another problem for those... the common "modding race" for the re-re-re-conversions (just wait and see), more often than not for the older stuff, which does not push, much less take advantage of, the new platform qualities/capacities.

Call me pessimist, but I can't see how the mentalities and the way of things will change.
rFactor had eight years(!) to fulfill the pre-release dreams and promises of a modding-platform, and it did not deliver anything like what was predicted then.
It's not really fault of the devs, the tools or the platform, it's people and their nature. *shrugs*
Been there, done that, seen it all before. It will take much more than "a good simulation physics engine, some nice graphics and to be easily moddable" for AC -and any other title- to be all that just with modding.

Last edited by DucFreak; 22 June 12 at 00:15. Reason: ...spelling(?)
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 12, 00:16   #38
PortuguesePilot

^again, good points. i especially agree in the quality issues and the need for a modding team in order to maximize said quality.

you're more experienced than i am in the "modding world". still, much like i implement on my own games, one can carefully select the mods that one wants to have. i only have the ones that i think are great.

each member will have different opinions and different standards. one man's "half-arsed mod" may very well be some other man's "greatest thing since sliced bread".

by having various mods to choose from you are bound to find something that suits your tastes and if the right tools and tutorials are provided -as i said - then it doesn't really matter much if you like any other mod or not. you can always make your won, according to your own standards. this will ensure that you'll maintain an interest in the game. from a purely commercial point of view, this is undeniably a positive thing.

i know that you are a very demanding man when it comes to quality, Duc. i am so too, but you seem to be even more so than i am. demanding people like we are will always crave perfection. even though we know that we will never reach it, nothing can stop us from getting as close to it as possible. but, as alluded above, not every mod-user is this demanding. and no-one is forcing us to download, install and play the "half-arsed" mods. each man's "natural selection" method would ensure that we'd only play the mods that we see as worthy. the same happens with me and GTL, GTR2 and GTR-Evo.

so, in the end, even with their varying degrees of quality, it's better to have mods than to have none. i don't know about you, but the quality standards of "nothing" don't quite entice me all that much...
Old 22 June 12, 02:40   #39
KXracer

Exclamation

Quote:
rFactor and GTR2, as i mentioned in my previous post, are two very fine examples of it, but there are quite a few more. basically all the good games that allowed for modding have sold extremely well (GPL, early NFS games, F1 Games, ISI titles, SimBin titles, etc).
GPL sold well...since when?!?!?
Sales were terrible for GPL. Probaly David Kaemmer's worst game in terms of sales.(Don't quote me on that lol)
Old 22 June 12, 02:47   #40
gears
Donated

I have yet to play a sim where any mod was better than the stock content. Not even close really.

No offense to anyone.

I won't be installing any mods for rF2 or AC.
Old 22 June 12, 02:50   #41
DucFreak

Quote:
^again, good points. i especially agree in the quality issues and the need for a modding team in order to maximize said quality.

you're more experienced than i am in the "modding world". still, much like i implement on my own games, one can carefully select the mods that one wants to have. i only have the ones that i think are great.

each member will have different opinions and different standards. one man's "half-arsed mod" may very well be some other man's "greatest thing since sliced bread".

by having various mods to choose from you are bound to find something that suits your tastes and if the right tools and tutorials are provided -as i said - then it doesn't really matter much if you like any other mod or not. you can always make your won, according to your own standards. this will ensure that you'll maintain an interest in the game. from a purely commercial point of view, this is undeniably a positive thing.

i know that you are a very demanding man when it comes to quality, Duc. i am so too, but you seem to be even more so than i am. demanding people like we are will always crave perfection. even though we know that we will never reach it, nothing can stop us from getting as close to it as possible. but, as alluded above, not every mod-user is this demanding. and no-one is forcing us to download, install and play the "half-arsed" mods. each man's "natural selection" method would ensure that we'd only play the mods that we see as worthy. the same happens with me and GTL, GTR2 and GTR-Evo.

so, in the end, even with their varying degrees of quality, it's better to have mods than to have none. i don't know about you, but the quality standards of "nothing" don't quite entice me all that much...
Well, if the choice is "lots of mods with dubious quality" and "no mods at all", I'll gladly either take the later or pass onto another title.

The point here is "Quantity ≠ Quality". How the first can polute every title with modding support, while the second only helps to expand capacities and lifespan of such titles.

Discussing and opiniating about "X" and "Y" mod, likes, dislikes, noted good modders craft, construction and faults, "attention to detail" vs "lacking care"... yeah, the opinions will vary a lot and can be debatable to eternity. But if you see/test a crappy mod close to (or before/after) a damn good one, you see the differences. Modder or user, newcomer or veteran, anyone does.

The wide space found between varying degrees of quality of mods and their craft is a problem (in sims capable of being modded). Standards are not controlled, there isn't a "bare minimum" standard set for all. The question now is "should there be one?"
...I don't know, look around and answer yourself....
The funny part (IMO) is that it shouldn't be needed in the first place, common sense should prevail (well, but then it doesn't that often, does it?).

Personally, if a game ships with "real life" content good enough to set a high standard (which we can see AC will have), while ALSO having modding capacities, then that's what modders for that title should try to aim and reach for - at least the same standards set by the original content.
And I really, really hope AC, rFactor-2 and whatever other upcoming title, will change modding for the better. These new titles at least offer us all that possibility.
Old 22 June 12, 03:03   #42
KXracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gears View Post
I have yet to play a sim where any mod was better than the stock content. Not even close really.

No offense to anyone.

I won't be installing any mods for rF2 or AC.
What about the F179 mod for rf, or the conversion to GTR2? Those are my favourite from both games.
Old 22 June 12, 03:06   #43
DucFreak

Quote:

No offense to anyone.
Hey, none taken.
I too have released loose mods myself that I am not so proud of today. (yep! lol)

Point is, either I realize that I need to step up my modding crafts to reach (and surpass) a certain point, or perhaps I should not tease and release the next modding-work, before reaching that.
And if I fail, heck, then change the craft. Lots of areas to explore in modding where anyone can be good at with a little patience and dedication.
Old 22 June 12, 03:14   #44
gears
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
Hey, none taken.
I wouldn't call P&G a mod. It should be sold as it's own game and I would buy it!

Of course some royalties go to SimBin eh?
Old 22 June 12, 03:46   #45
DucFreak

Quote:
I wouldn't call P&G a mod. It should be sold as it's own game and I would buy it!

Of course some royalties go to SimBin eh?
Thank you!
I'm very proud to be in such a nice project and group of talented people.
It will never be perfect, but it sure is the sim-modding project of my life (P&G v3 yet to be released and all).
And no money taken, free for all!

PS: sorry for the offtopic
Old 22 June 12, 14:34   #46
zaril

Exclamation

For AC mods only if it is of great quality, otherwise it will be fierce criticism, from me a promise :Twisted:
Old 22 June 12, 19:19   #47
David Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by KXracer View Post
GPL sold well...since when?!?!?
Sales were terrible for GPL. Probaly David Kaemmer's worst game in terms of sales.(Don't quote me on that lol)
We won't quote you

GPL sold 200,0000 copies. It wasn't Papyrus' worst selling game. Indycar Racing 2 sold 180,000.

It's all relative of course. The problem was Sierra could sell over a million copies of Papyrus' NASCAR Racing and 800,000 copies of NASCAR Racing 2. Its hard to justify developing GPL2 when NASCAR titles sold so well and could be churned out on an annual basis.

And again looking at "relative" figures, I'm not sure how many "copies" iRacing has sold - I think they claim 30,0000 current members- but I'm sure Dave Kaemmer would be over the moon to have 200,000 subscribers. I know I'm comparing two different things here but hopefully you get the point.

Returning to the topic of moddability, While now we might look upon GPL as a "moddable" racing sim, it was never designed to be moddable. Its moddability was down to talented hackers who discovered how GPL "worked" and who then went went on to produce tools to allow others to create tracks. It took well over a year for the first track to appear for GPL and six years for the first physics mod. Mods kept GPL alive and I'm sure sold some £5 copies but realistically had no effect on GPLs commercial viability.

In reality GPL is pretty typical and very few racing sims are designed as moddable. rFactor is really the only one and even rFactor's modding success was in no small part due to

1. the large modding community that already existed centered around the EA F1 series, and

2. tools provided by third parties such as 3DSimEd and later Bob's track builder.

Add-on tracks were produced for NetKar Pro. Had more modders been attracted to the platform I'm sure we could have seen "mods" for NetKar Pro.
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 12, 16:43   #48
Crayfish

Im really pinning my hopes for the future on this sim. I'm dissapointed by RF2 graphics, but can't be sold that C.A.R.S is gona be a true sim either. A.C looks to have the best of both worlds, and some of my fave modders from GTR2 + the DRM Mod team (makers of the greatest mod eva) are said to be looking to move to it over RF2.
The AC team I think has a better idea of what sim racers really expected for the next gen after RF1. I really hope AC can follow through on the physics and proposed modability. It already 'looks' awsome. If its non subscription based on top of that, then it really is what we've been dreaming of..
Crayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 12, 18:34   #49
PortuguesePilot

as i said before about many other future games: if it's subscription/fee/milking based, i won't touch it with a 10 meter pole.

i have to say, though, that up until now this is looking as the finest, most balanced and better connected (with the community and most of its wishes) of all the new-gen sims in preparation out there.

i have to say that i'm eagerly awaiting more info on it.
Old 26 June 12, 20:32   #50
-=Prodrive=-
Uploader

I like the look of AC, however like the above poster, I wont be interested if its a subscription based pricing model, same goes for iRacing, I like the look of it, but refuse to pay a sub for it.
-=Prodrive=- is offline   Reply With Quote