NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > iRacing

Old 10 April 12, 18:02   #101
waters10

I'm not actively looking at ispeed while I'm driving. I'm playing on a 96" x 54" (110")projector screen, but windowed mode resized to only 96"x25". So I have more than the top half of my screen free. What I do is I put that extra info up there. I'm not looking at it the whole time, but for example I'm about to get to a turn. I'm looking at the track, searching for my braking point, then the apex, then track out. As I hit the track out, I glance at the ispeed window and see if I have a positive speed delta. If I do, that means I took that corner better than I had taken it in my best lap. It's just instant feedback. And honestly, it's not that much different than looking at one of the black boxes, or your speedometer.

The part I mentioned that is bad for me, is that as I hit the braking point and slam on the brakes, I can see the moment the speed delta changes from green to red with my periferal vision. I'm not looking at it, but it's easily enough to notice a color change. And I caught myself sometimes waiting for that color change to let go of the brakes, which results me in braking too much. So that's something I need to address, by probably moving the window higher, out of my peripheral vision.

As far as books, I've been meaning to get the going faster dvd, but I just can't find it anywhere to rent it. I might buy the book to read one of these days.
waters10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 00:16   #102
Jack B
Banned

Skip Barber's Going Faster is well worth the purchase. I pick it up and read chapters over and over. It never gets old. The have so many awesome charts graphs, diagrams etc. Speed Secrets is good too, but order Going Faster on Amazon. Worth 10 times it's price, IMO.
Jack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 05:03   #103
waters10

So just had my first race at Zandy. SOF 1324.

Started 6th. T1 was ok, everybody cautious. 3rd place braked really early at the chicane. 2 guys pass him and we go side by side on the chicane and we touch. At the moment, I thought it was my fault, so I apologized, but looking at the replay, I don't think it was my fault. I was on the outside and we went side by side on the right hander. On the left hander, he kept going right when he should've been turning left already so we hit. I had to pit with wheel damage. Ended up finishing 6th. But my average lap time was actually the 2nd lowest ... Kinda frustrating that I could've finished top 3. At least I only got 1x after my pit stop, so ended up with only 5 inc and had some SR gain.

Oh and I improved my PB to 1.57.1, with 1.56.2 optimals in a practice session. I had a lap where I was 0.5s faster when I go to the chicane and I screwed up there ... I think I should be able to hit 1.56 high before the end of the week.

I'm attaching the replay of the incident. If you have a minute, see what you think. Not that I'm pissed at the guy or anything, I'm just trying to learn and see how to avoid this kind of stuff in the future.
Attached Files
File Type: zip subses5401756.zip (654.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 11 April 12, 07:38   #104
Scalage

You're frustrated? Wait untill you see the replay of my first skip race!
How do you edit a replay anyway? Mine is 115MB but it's the entire race.
Scalage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 08:34   #105
Kalifen

From memory: Move to the place you wish to start the replay, click the scissor icon, click/move the endpoint in the timeline, then save. You will then have saved a replay containing only the marked time. Your current replay will not be affected.

Waters10: Not able to look at replays on this computer, but I can make a guess. With a SOF of that kind, the guy you raced probably wasn't the best/cleanest racer in the world. It may be that the line he took was his usual line, it may also be that he lost control/was afraid of losing control, or a number of other explanations. The thing is you can't always trust these drivers. If you have had the chance to observe him for a while, you may make a qualified guess if it is safe to go side by side or not, otherwise the advice is to be very careful. If you have sufficient control in the turn, try looking left a couple of times to see where he is and what he's up to. Particularly that would be a good idea before turning in. In this case it may very well be that he was opening up on the inside again, giving you a chance to wait a bit, turn in and get a good exit on his inside. Don't know without looking at the actual replay, though.
Kalifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 12:29   #106
waters10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
You're frustrated? Wait untill you see the replay of my first skip race!
How do you edit a replay anyway? Mine is 115MB but it's the entire race.
What happened? Join me a post a frustrating race report. I need the company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifen View Post
From memory: Move to the place you wish to start the replay, click the scissor icon, click/move the endpoint in the timeline, then save. You will then have saved a replay containing only the marked time. Your current replay will not be affected.

Waters10: Not able to look at replays on this computer, but I can make a guess. With a SOF of that kind, the guy you raced probably wasn't the best/cleanest racer in the world. It may be that the line he took was his usual line, it may also be that he lost control/was afraid of losing control, or a number of other explanations. The thing is you can't always trust these drivers. If you have had the chance to observe him for a while, you may make a qualified guess if it is safe to go side by side or not, otherwise the advice is to be very careful. If you have sufficient control in the turn, try looking left a couple of times to see where he is and what he's up to. Particularly that would be a good idea before turning in. In this case it may very well be that he was opening up on the inside again, giving you a chance to wait a bit, turn in and get a good exit on his inside. Don't know without looking at the actual replay, though.
I've read all the general guidelines on how to avoid these incidents. But a couple of things happened on this one. We got to the chicane 5 cars bunched together. Because I didn't want to rear end anyone, I took a very inside line on the braking zone. The P3 driver, took the outside line. We both braked earlier. But as I turned in, I was slower than usual and he turned in much later. So we had very different lines and I couldn't see him until he came back to my screen, quicker than I was right next to me as I hit the first apex. That was fine, we both left space for each other. Then going to the left hander, is what I'd like to know if I was in the wrong, or at least not cautious enough. I was much slower than usual and I thought I left enough space for him, but maybe I should've left even more, or backed off a bit more. But I had a guy right in my tail and I there was a risk of slowing down more than I did.

Anyway, I guess it was a racing incident. I'm just trying to learn from it and avoid it next time.

I gotta say, I'm loving Zandvoort! From the 5 iracing tracks I've raced on, this is my favorite by far! Love the banking in some of the corners, how part of track is very narrow, like the hairpin, then it opens up to be very wide at T8 and T9.
Old 11 April 12, 12:41   #107
Scalage

Here's the replay. There's absolutely nothing I could've done to avoid this.
Moreover I could've been seriously injured if this happened in real life
Attached Files
File Type: zip subses5398556ff.zip (1.13 MB, 4 views)
Old 11 April 12, 12:46   #108
Domey

Quote:
Originally Posted by waters10 View Post
So just had my first race at Zandy. SOF 1324.

Started 6th. T1 was ok, everybody cautious. 3rd place braked really early at the chicane. 2 guys pass him and we go side by side on the chicane and we touch. At the moment, I thought it was my fault, so I apologized, but looking at the replay, I don't think it was my fault. I was on the outside and we went side by side on the right hander. On the left hander, he kept going right when he should've been turning left already so we hit. I had to pit with wheel damage. Ended up finishing 6th. But my average lap time was actually the 2nd lowest ... Kinda frustrating that I could've finished top 3. At least I only got 1x after my pit stop, so ended up with only 5 inc and had some SR gain.

Oh and I improved my PB to 1.57.1, with 1.56.2 optimals in a practice session. I had a lap where I was 0.5s faster when I go to the chicane and I screwed up there ... I think I should be able to hit 1.56 high before the end of the week.

I'm attaching the replay of the incident. If you have a minute, see what you think. Not that I'm pissed at the guy or anything, I'm just trying to learn and see how to avoid this kind of stuff in the future.
I think the incident was either a racing incident or slightly your fault. Because he was ahead of you and inside of you. You should have backed-off and tried to get by him later. That's just opinion, and please take it with a grain of salt because I'm no great racer by any means. I'm quite sure that if either of you filed a protest for this incident it would be ruled a "racing incident".

Kalifen is right about trusting the other drivers. Don't! I'd say most of us with IR<2,000 should be expected to make some mistakes so it's probably better to give us a little extra room. At least until you "know" us a little better. You'll see a lot of the same guys in practice sessions as you do in races, notice what they're doing there too. If they've been struggling with a corner in practice sessions, don't get risky with them on that corner. A better strategy would be pressuring them from behind going into their "nemesis" corner, then backing off a bit. It may cause them to go in a bit faster than they probably should and bad things often happen then. Just keep from being collected yourself.

This replay looks like typical "first turn winning" or "first lap winning" that you see all too often in lower splits (where I usually am). You probably would have been better off qualifying. You posted times in this post that would have placed you in a better starting position if they were qualifying times. That may have gotten you through all this with only a fleeting glimpse of it in your rear-view mirror.

All in all, I'd say you're doing great!

Better than some of us who've been here a little longer.
Domey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 12, 13:24   #109
waters10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domey View Post
I think the incident was either a racing incident or slightly your fault. Because he was ahead of you and inside of you. You should have backed-off and tried to get by him later. That's just opinion, and please take it with a grain of salt because I'm no great racer by any means. I'm quite sure that if either of you filed a protest for this incident it would be ruled a "racing incident".

Kalifen is right about trusting the other drivers. Don't! I'd say most of us with IR<2,000 should be expected to make some mistakes so it's probably better to give us a little extra room. At least until you "know" us a little better. You'll see a lot of the same guys in practice sessions as you do in races, notice what they're doing there too. If they've been struggling with a corner in practice sessions, don't get risky with them on that corner. A better strategy would be pressuring them from behind going into their "nemesis" corner, then backing off a bit. It may cause them to go in a bit faster than they probably should and bad things often happen then. Just keep from being collected yourself.

This replay looks like typical "first turn winning" or "first lap winning" that you see all too often in lower splits (where I usually am). You probably would have been better off qualifying. You posted times in this post that would have placed you in a better starting position if they were qualifying times. That may have gotten you through all this with only a fleeting glimpse of it in your rear-view mirror.

All in all, I'd say you're doing great!

Better than some of us who've been here a little longer.
I could've backed off more, but I thought I did that enough and left him room. I was pretty slow at this point and I didn't want to slow down more because I didn't want the guy behind me hitting me. I'd never protest this and I don't expect him to protest either. I do feel that he should've started turning left earlier than he did. To me, it's part of the learning curve. I'm glad I apologized either way.

But you're right, I should've qualified yesterday. I thought about it, but I'm not comfortable starting towards the front. I've had a bad experience on the rookie series, where I braked a bit earlier and got rear ended, so I tend to prefer start at the back of the field. I'll qualify today and try again!
Old 11 April 12, 13:39   #110
Domey

Quote:
Here's the replay. There's absolutely nothing I could've done to avoid this.
Moreover I could've been seriously injured if this happened in real life
Yeah, it happens sometimes. Looks like he got some of that nice "snap" the Skippy loves to hand out. Not much really for the other guy to do either. Other than lock up his brakes at first tap with the car in front of him, but I can't fault him for trying to make the save there. And once he tried to make the save it looks like it just snapped back on him. I just hate to be in a bunch like that at the first turn. It's a breeding ground for trouble because if a mistake is made, pretty much by anyone in the bunch, there's not much wiggle room before contact occurs. And even if you see the guy in front of you and to your right start to have an issue, and adjust what you're doing to keep clear of him, the guy behind you and to your left has no idea anything is going on at all so he's not adjusting. You don't get away with much tapping between Skippies so that's probably not going to end well.

As far as real life is concerned, I don't know about you, but I could never drive anywhere near as fast as this in real life! I would be leaking fluids and solids, and I'm not talking about the car. I would be dead many times over as would some others who've been unfortunate enough to get into accidents along with me. It's different when there is flesh, blood, and bone involved. Here, I can never get hurt and don't even have to pay to fix the car (other than penalties). If they ever incorporate something like dog's shock collars for iRacing, and you get shocks when incidents occur, I will be so much slower it will be ridiculous! Like, say you got a small shock for a 1X, like having a rubber band around your wrist and having it snapped. Maybe for a 2X you'd get a shock about like a fly biting you and a 4X shocked you hard, like a bee sting. That would slow me down, I'm sure of that!

At any rate, don't let it get you down. It just happens sometimes. As Farmer Fran says in the movie "The Waterboy": "We lih ta play a nuh day."
Old 11 April 12, 18:21   #111
Scalage

These incidents only get me more eager to improve my laptimes so I can be ahead of this mess right at the start.
As for real life, I've never raced but I do ride a motorcycle (which is bloody scary sometimes!) and I've been in the passenger seat quite a few times at Zandvoort in several cars. So I know the track and I'm not scared of g-forces anymore.
Old 12 April 12, 07:08   #112
Kalifen

Quote:
These incidents only get me more eager to improve my laptimes so I can be ahead of this mess right at the start.
As for real life, I've never raced but I do ride a motorcycle (which is bloody scary sometimes!) and I've been in the passenger seat quite a few times at Zandvoort in several cars. So I know the track and I'm not scared of g-forces anymore.
If you have easy access to Zandvoort, I recommend Bleekemolen's Race Planet - they let you drive fast cars fast for a reasonable price. Examples:
http://www.raceplanet.com/zandvoort/prices

In other news, I had a nice race yesterday. Started on pole, but during the race I didn't feel particularly faster than the bunch behind - only I had a small gap from lap 1, and they were a total of 5 drivers that took turns fighting for 2nd place. They lost time, of course, and eventually there were some casualties, handing me an easy victory. It occurred to me that it possibly would have been more fun, and a race to remember, if I had actually been in that fight, but then again, before every race I kind of always wish for it go like this - get an early gap and not be threatened afterwards... Still, all my best memories are from hard fights.
Old 12 April 12, 11:27   #113
Scalage

You're right about raceplanet, but there is a slight problem. I don't have a lot of money and I don't have a driver's license for a car
Old 12 April 12, 12:56   #114
waters10

Quote:
If you have easy access to Zandvoort, I recommend Bleekemolen's Race Planet - they let you drive fast cars fast for a reasonable price. Examples:
http://www.raceplanet.com/zandvoort/prices

In other news, I had a nice race yesterday. Started on pole, but during the race I didn't feel particularly faster than the bunch behind - only I had a small gap from lap 1, and they were a total of 5 drivers that took turns fighting for 2nd place. They lost time, of course, and eventually there were some casualties, handing me an easy victory. It occurred to me that it possibly would have been more fun, and a race to remember, if I had actually been in that fight, but then again, before every race I kind of always wish for it go like this - get an early gap and not be threatened afterwards... Still, all my best memories are from hard fights.
Congratz on another win!

I had another disaster last night ... I qualified before the race and posted my PB at 1:57.0! So I was pretty happy with that. There were only 8 drivers for the 11:45pm EST race. During warmup, there was a guy blazing fast on my tail, so I let him go and he opened up a gap really quickly. Come grid time, I'm on pole and this guy is P2. We get side by side to T1, I let him go. P3 almost went by as well, but I managed to hold that. Then I stupidly lost at T2, that kink before hairpin ... I was furious! Not only I lost control in a turn I never lose control, it's a turn where there's wall all around ... So used the tow, which took 2:30 minutes! Posted my new PB by a few hundreds at my first lap out of the pits. Ended up P5 out of 8. SOF was 14xx.

Looking at the results, I would be battling the guys that took P1 and P2, cause they were posting very similar times to mine. The guy that was flying was posting 1.55 laps, but blew up his engine and finished P3 or P4, can't remember.

Pretty obvious this is a mental issue. I'm pretty safe at this track and quicker than I was at Suzuka. Not really fast, but against some of the same guys in Suzuka, I'm quicker here than there relatively. But I keep screwing up when it matters ...
Old 12 April 12, 16:53   #115
Scalage

Don't worry, you'll get there eventually. You have the laptimes, now you just need the consistency.
Over here it's quite the opposite, I'm pretty consistent but not that fast at all.
Old 12 April 12, 22:12   #116
AllanGP
Donated

Got twenty laps in;

http://members.iracing.com/membersit...5&custid=37971

a bit more to come I think, we will see.
AllanGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 12, 21:20   #117
Kalifen

Quote:
Pretty obvious this is a mental issue. I'm pretty safe at this track and quicker than I was at Suzuka. Not really fast, but against some of the same guys in Suzuka, I'm quicker here than there relatively. But I keep screwing up when it matters ...
Not sure if I can offer any other advice than... keep trying? Get used to pressure. Mostly through racing, but possibly also through qualifying (do the full 20 minutes). You may also add some time trials to the mix. People also recommend online practicing - haven't done much of that myself, but I guess it can help getting used to concentrating on your own driving even with others around. Hosted races also function, if you want to race with no ratings at stake.

Btw, when you say the tow took 2:30, that is of course correct, and feels like eons when you simply sit there, but remember that from the point you crashed, there was perhaps 1:40 remaining of the lap? So the real loss is more like 0:50 + getting out of pits and up to speed. Still sucks, though. But at least the car gets fixed, in higher levels you may have to wait even more for repairs that don't bring the car back to 100%, or you wait through the entire tow just to hear "too much damage, we're done".
Old 14 April 12, 02:08   #118
waters10

Yeah, no advice will trully help me. It's just keep trying and getting better.

One thing I'm hating this week, is how a lot of the races are not splitting! Seems like participation is quite low this week. Apparently not a lot of people own Zandvoort ...

Regarding the tow, the car gets fixed, but it takes time. They jack up the front and then the back to fix it. I can't remember how long that takes. But you're right! At least I was able to get back to the race, still get ahead of a few guys and gain some SR.
Old 14 April 12, 04:46   #119
waters10

Had my best race so far. 14 drivers, SOF 1382.

Started P2 (guess a lot of people don't qualify!). Before the end of Lap 1, I fell to 5th. Had a good battle for 4th place that lasted a few laps. Got passed twice and passed twice, but then I lost control at the hairpin and he t-bone me ... Somehow my car didn't get too damage so I continued, but he had to pit. I felt so bad for the guy .... Specially cause I recognize his name now, from at least 3 other races. Remained on 4th until the last lap, where I lost focus and went off track, lost control again stupidly and got hit by 5th place. At least I didn't ruin his race and he gained my position.

An ok race really, but better than what I was having before.
Old 14 April 12, 08:31   #120
Domey

Quote:
Yeah, no advice will trully help me. It's just keep trying and getting better.

One thing I'm hating this week, is how a lot of the races are not splitting! Seems like participation is quite low this week. Apparently not a lot of people own Zandvoort ...

Regarding the tow, the car gets fixed, but it takes time. They jack up the front and then the back to fix it. I can't remember how long that takes. But you're right! At least I was able to get back to the race, still get ahead of a few guys and gain some SR.
They jack up the car for new tires, not to repair the car. When you get a tow make sure to go to F4 and F5 and deselect the tires and added fuel before the tow timer finishes. You probably don't need the tires and almost certainly don't need a full tank of fuel. It sounds like you're getting them during your pit stop as well and they add a lot of pit time. I try to remember to always deselect them after being gridded, before the green flag.
Old 14 April 12, 12:59   #121
AllanGP
Donated

That is why I've suggested we get Pit Strategy built into the set up file (as I keep forgetting to do this!).

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...t/1664765.page

Last edited by AllanGP; 14 April 12 at 13:32.
Old 14 April 12, 13:32   #122
waters10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domey View Post
They jack up the car for new tires, not to repair the car. When you get a tow make sure to go to F4 and F5 and deselect the tires and added fuel before the tow timer finishes. You probably don't need the tires and almost certainly don't need a full tank of fuel. It sounds like you're getting them during your pit stop as well and they add a lot of pit time. I try to remember to always deselect them after being gridded, before the green flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanGP View Post
That is why I've suggested we get Pit Strategy built into the set up file (as I keep forgetting to do this!).
Wait, I unchecked all that before. So you have to do that for every race??
Old 14 April 12, 13:36   #123
AllanGP
Donated

Resets when you leave the Pits or go to Grid.
Old 14 April 12, 13:59   #124
waters10

Quote:
Resets when you leave the Pits or go to Grid.
Wow. That's just dumb ... Another thing I'd hope they change for race starts, is that if you register for a race, there's the option to test car on track. I wish you could do that, and when the race is about to start, it would take you there automatically, without having to quit and reload the whole thing. The track is the same and is already loaded in memory!
Old 14 April 12, 14:24   #125
AllanGP
Donated

Yes, exactly and have a 5 min warning if you are in a Practice session for the next race coming up, on by default with the ability to toggle off.
Old 14 April 12, 14:54   #126
AllanGP
Donated

Into the 56's but 2.5 sec of the really fast guy's ;

http://members.iracing.com/membersit...4&custid=37971
Old 14 April 12, 15:03   #127
waters10

Quote:
Yes, exactly and have a 5 min warning if you are in a Practice session for the next race coming up, on by default with the ability to toggle off.
I get a warning if I enroll for a race and hit test a car. It keeps flashing on my screen. But you still have to quit and join the race ...

Quote:
Into the 56's but 2.5 sec of the really fast guy's ;

I know what you mean. I got to 1.56.9x yesterday. First time lower than 57. Guys averaging 55 for the race just amaze me!
Old 14 April 12, 17:29   #128
Gutshot

Quote:
I'm locking the brakes a little at the last chicane maybe. I don't feel anything at all when braking, the nixim mod should fix that.
One nice thing about the Skippy is that you can actually see if youve locked up any wheel and learn to back off on the brake to get it turning again. (I know you cant see the rear wheels, but if the fronts are still rotating and the rears lock, you will know it as you spin out )

Dont go by tire squeal or look in the mirror for smoke, just look straight ahead and watch the front tires.
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 12, 20:42   #129
Scalage

But when I lock up it's sort of too late isn't it? The point is that it's hard to know by muscle memory how hard I can brake and that a harder, more progressive pedal will make sure I can nail it every single time (or at least not screw up every lap ).
Old 14 April 12, 22:48   #130
darock

Quote:
But when I lock up it's sort of too late isn't it? The point is that it's hard to know by muscle memory how hard I can brake and that a harder, more progressive pedal will make sure I can nail it every single time (or at least not screw up every lap ).
That's an interesting idea.

You know of course that muscle memory is exactly how braking is done in the real world. You judge the feel of the brake pedal with your muscle memory to control your braking.

About the only thing we don't have for braking is the seat of our pants feel. We can compare that to what our muscle memory tells us the brake pedal is doing to decide whether or not the brakes are fading.

If a more progressive pedal worked better in the game, you can bet your life that real world teams would have rheostats in F1 cars before the sun rose again.
darock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 12, 22:52   #131
darock

In our iRacing, they've said in a couple of different places that they provide the tire squeel for a couple of different uses, and even mention the uses aren't exactly realistic. Honest for sure when it comes to identifying brake lockup...
darock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 12, 09:43   #132
Scalage

I know it's not ideal, but I simply don't have the money for a load cell so this is the best I can do. And maybe the progressivity will not help me but for sure the increased stifness will.
Old 15 April 12, 17:23   #133
Gutshot

Ive had the Nixim for a few months and I really like the feel for the price. Convinced me to order a load cell this week for my G25 pedals. More brake pedal resistance also makes it easier to be more accurate on heel/toe/blip downshifting braking.

I use the tire squeal sound to help gauge my tire traction in tight turns, since iRacing cannot simulate lateral g forces.

I am also sure braking is mostly muscle memory but with open wheel you certainly get to use your eyes and its not too hard. (When I trained in the real Skippy they had us do braking exercises the first day and told us to watch the front tires and to modulate (let up) on the pedal if a lockup was about to happen. It took me a while, and a flat spotted left front, before I could do it right. Under heavy braking, the wheels actually begin to turn more slowly than "correct" while still in full road contact and before starting to slide. This is before locking up and losing adhesion.)

I believe that the Skip Barber book also mentions this. The F1 drivers seem to be really good at this. Sometimes its easier than others, especially if there is a tire logo on the inside of the tire for reference.
Gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 12, 08:57   #134
AllanGP
Donated

Low 56's now, might do a Skippy race later to try and get my $5 ;

http://members.iracing.com/membersit...0&custid=37971
Old 16 April 12, 09:15   #135
Kalifen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutshot View Post
I use the tire squeal sound to help gauge my tire traction in tight turns, since iRacing cannot simulate lateral g forces.
Well, when one day we find ourselves owning lots and lots of money, we could buy a g-seat, like UltraForce. Nice quote here:
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...4.page#4315322
"You can really tell when the car is planted on the road or if the weight is still transferring. I was really surprised by how much it helped me with my braking. I don't think I have locked the brakes once since sitting down in the GS-4."

In other news, while Zandvoort is one of my favourite tracks, I have had the flu the last few days and haven't really felt up to driving. Still not, actually. Some weeks ago I did try entering a race while being sick (a lot more, though), and even though the result was still good, I remember getting extremely exhausted. During the race, I believe the heart rate was higher than during normal races, and it took several hours to actually feel relaxed and feeling some energy in the body again after the race. So, lesson learned: Don't race while being sick...

Anyhow, this leaves only one track left for me this season: Jefferson reverse. This could be a challenge in traffic... Probably will be some backmarkers to avoid. Although, it will be the shortest race of the season, and lowest fuel is enough. Biggest challenge for me will be the turn 4/5 right hander, which is kind of like turn 1 at Suzuka, only tighter and with no run-off. Either I will lose some time there, or I need to go "against my religion" and left foot brake - probably will lose some time due to not having any practice with that, but maybe less. At least, I guess I need the left foot ready for saving screw ups from time to time. In the MX5 during a week 13, I had lots of success jumping super quickly between brake and gas in that turn, but somehow I doubt that's gonna work in the Skippy

EDIT: Will not be able to participate in any high SOF races anyhow, so I guess it's up to the other participants to decide where I end up in the championship - fingers crossed for a top 25 overall
Old 16 April 12, 14:14   #136
Hotsocks

Quote:
Low 56's now, might do a Skippy race later to try and get my $5 ;

http://members.iracing.com/membersit...0&custid=37971
I think you should be able to go quicker than that Allan. I can do 1.55.5 without any discernable skill or risk taking- just driving lines. (pb 1.54.8)

I've only seen sections of these books like Speed Secrets and Going Faster on the net. and generally feel what I've read hinders rather than helps in iRacing because the physics doesn't work like that. It's much too slippery.

The skid sound is a massive shortcoming in iRacing; no squeal etc. I know ear-plugs and crash helmets would muffle it in RL, but externally it's not there either, just a whooshing noise. And you need all the help you can get in a sim to know what's going on. It'd would be a worth while compromise because without enough information, we end up driving less realistically because of it. It's like the transmission; you don't know what to do with it so it encourages unrealistic practices. Maybe informative tiren noise would reduce the feeling of sliding around all the time if you knew when it was actually meant to be happening. As it is, there are constant disputes about the very fact of who's doing it to be fast. I've no idea whatsoever when I'm sliding. That's crap, it must be. It'd also do massive amounts for immersion to have some decent sounds.

I might have mentioned sound before...
Hotsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 12, 14:26   #137
AllanGP
Donated

Yes I might get to 55's with more practice;

Had a fun race (let's hope I did the 500 millionth lap ), forgot how much fun Skippy races can be even with a slightly wonky rear wheel;

http://members.iracing.com/membersit...9&custid=37971

Funnily enough I was just thinking how good the tyre sounds are to me and how helpful they are. I'm only using some cheap headphones but tyre noise sounds good to me.
Old 16 April 12, 14:38   #138
waters10

Shoot, I forgot about the 500 million lap deal ... Crazy weekend and I had no time to even drive a few laps. Plus I reinstalled new mobo/cpu yesterday and computer is still open. Is the deal today, till midnight GMT? Or was it yesterday and done?

I loved Zandvoort. I'm hoping that next season, when this track comes up again, I can hit 1.56 consistently and maybe even dip into 55s.

I'll start practicing Jefferson Reverse tonight.
Old 16 April 12, 15:12   #139
AllanGP
Donated

Well it is on the day the 500 millionth lap gets driven could be today, yesterday or tomorrow, nobody (except iRacing) could know.
Old 16 April 12, 16:56   #140
Hotsocks

Quote:
Funnily enough I was just thinking how good the tyre sounds are to me and how helpful they are. I'm only using some cheap headphones but tyre noise sounds good to me.
I'm lost for words. If you can hear realistic tire squeal it must be added by your headphones or something. I give up.
Old 16 April 12, 18:04   #141
AllanGP
Donated

Have you got FMOD on or off? Honestly the tyre sounds that I hear are pretty good and quite informative.

I've never fiddled with any of the settings it is just how they were when I installed iRacing, I never bothered with the FMOD stuff.

Here is a link to the headset I have (my second one as when the first was accidentally broken by my son I knew it was good and it was fairly cheap, in case you don't already know I'm Scottish!).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000P5VR1...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
Old 16 April 12, 19:24   #142
Hotsocks

Quote:
Have you got FMOD on or off? Honestly the tyre sounds that I hear are pretty good and quite informative.

I've never fiddled with any of the settings it is just how they were when I installed iRacing, I never bothered with the FMOD stuff.

Here is a link to the headset I have (my second one as when the first was accidentally broken by my son I knew it was good and it was fairly cheap, in case you don't already know I'm Scottish!).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000P5VR1...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
LOL.

No, doesn't matter whether it's my 150 Sennheisers, or the laptop speaker and youtube.

That said...
FMOD: Now I had it on, with tires turned up high relative to everything else. I remembered it made the engine sound marginally better. But I've just tried it off, and the tire noise is much more pronounced and indeed does have a bit of screech to it. Just a bit, it's still more whoosh than squeal and not the imersive sounds I want. But should definitely be more informative. Thanks for that!
Old 16 April 12, 20:39   #143
AllanGP
Donated

No worries, anyway I like loud Rock music so after 50 years my ears are probably shot at !!
Old 17 April 12, 04:34   #144
waters10

Quote:
Biggest challenge for me will be the turn 4/5 right hander, which is kind of like turn 1 at Suzuka, only tighter and with no run-off.
You're so right. Those turns remind me of T1 Suzuka. I used to lose a ton of time on that turn in Suzuka. At least here on Jefferson reverse, I didn't go off track that much.

Summit Point - Jefferson is so weird. I feel like I'm racing in one my local parks here. I could almost imagine kids playing around next the track!

Anyway, this seems like it'll be a handful for a whole race. No run-offs will make me go much slower come race time ... After 40 laps or so, got my PB down to 55.25, with optimals of 55.10. Never had PB so close to optimals.
Old 17 April 12, 10:59   #145
AllanGP
Donated

Jeffereson Reverse is like driving in your back garden (well maybe not mine!);

http://members.iracing.com/membersit...8&custid=37971

You can see 53's are possible, not by me though
Old 17 April 12, 11:21   #146
Kalifen

Best time I have seen so far is a 53.2, so there's a chance we will see high 52s. Funny, though, how big the differences are on such a short little track.
Old 17 April 12, 11:57   #147
AllanGP
Donated

Well I was doing 55's and another guy was doing 54's which I thought was too quick. Along comes someone else and does 53's and suddenly you think, actually I must be able to go quicker. They guy that was doing 54's did 53's and I went from 55's to 54's, sometimes you just need someone else to show you what is possible and it makes you re-assess your own performance.
Old 17 April 12, 12:25   #148
waters10

The thing with this track is that the no run off area in any of the turns means I'll probably be slower in the race than in practice.

I watched a few replays to see where I could improve and I think I can get to high 54s. But that's where I think I'll settle. Will probably still do high 55s in the races though ... I want to check some of the race results later, to see what people are posting as far as race average.
Old 17 April 12, 15:46   #149
AllanGP
Donated

Went a touch quicker;

http://members.iracing.com/membersit...8&custid=37971
Old 17 April 12, 18:17   #150
Scalage

I don't know about you but I'm pretty much always slower in a race than in a practise?