NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Real Life Motorsport

Old 31 March 12, 08:51   #51
MagVanisher

Say, anyone from Asia has TV coverage on the IndyCar Series? It seems that ESPNStar Asia doesn't have listings on the races... But I hope that they can still air the 2012 Indy 500 race!

And an off-topic, is the current IndyCar Series has the same level as Formula Two (or GP2, Formula Nippon)?
MagVanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 12, 09:06   #52
DoMw94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Say, anyone from Asia has TV coverage on the IndyCar Series? It seems that ESPNStar Asia doesn't have listings on the races... But I hope that they can still air the 2012 Indy 500 race!

And an off-topic, is the current IndyCar Series has the same level as Formula Two (or GP2, Formula Nippon)?
It's the top level of American motorsport so it's the same level as Formula 1 (although Indy Cars are slower)
DoMw94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 12, 09:11   #53
jgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMw94 View Post
It's the top level of American motorsport so it's the same level as Formula 1 (although Indy Cars are slower)
Actually their top speeds are similar, but Indycars are heavier so aren't as quick.
(And much less expensive than F1.)
jgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 12, 09:29   #54
MagVanisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgf View Post
Actually their top speeds are similar, but Indycars are heavier so aren't as quick.
(And much less expensive than F1.)
Okay, so it's basically IndyCar is sandwiched between Formula One (which is higher) and Formula Two/Formula Nippon/GP2 (which is lower) eh.
Old 31 March 12, 15:38   #55
Shinzah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Okay, so it's basically IndyCar is sandwiched between Formula One (which is higher) and Formula Two/Formula Nippon/GP2 (which is lower) eh.
Formula 1 and IRL are on the same level. IRL is the top spec open wheel series, F1 is the top non-spec open wheel series.

F1 drivers have gone to (and come up from) IRL.
Shinzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 12, 23:05   #56
stagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzah View Post
Care to name any of the latter?
stagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 12, 23:25   #57
Shinzah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post
Care to name any of the latter?
I could probably grab a list from the 60s and 70s of IRL to F1 drivers but then I know already thats going to be a trap so I couldn't care less.

One name that I can with some certainty mention is Mark Donohue.
Old 1 April 12, 01:58   #58
MagVanisher

Quote:
Formula 1 and IRL are on the same level. IRL is the top spec open wheel series, F1 is the top non-spec open wheel series.

You're right, since Rubens Barrichello is in IndyCar right now...

But do you think both F1 and IndyCar would stage together a "Race of Two Worlds"-style race in the future at the end of the season so that both of them will compete in both oval and road races?
Old 1 April 12, 02:26   #59
Shinzah

And Mansell, and Andretti.....

Really I do have quite a list. I just know his reponse will be "Well that was way back when"

But I highly doubt it, Bernie is very uptight with his sanctioning body and the current talent in the higher tier of F1 would not appreciate being put in a car that costs 1/10th of their weekend rides
Old 1 April 12, 04:31   #60
jgf

Quote:
I could probably grab a list from the 60s and 70s of IRL to F1 drivers but then I know already thats going to be a trap so I couldn't care less.

One name that I can with some certainty mention is Mark Donohue.
??

There was no IRL in the 60s and 70s, CART wasn't even formed til the very late 70s.
Old 1 April 12, 06:08   #61
Shinzah

Aaand here we go kids, history lesson time.

From 1911ish-1950 the Indy 500 was an open invitational, when it was dropped in 1960 from the f1 calendar, it became its own entity. Back then, unlike europe, F1 was the only single numbered formula which had been running in north america, which at the time ran IIRC up to 5.0l displacement. ALMOST EVERY other formula in north america (so not F2 and F3) from the era was running on displacement, F2000, F3000, F5000. These cars ran under USAC. So when I say I have a list of F1 drivers coming down and coming up from IRL in the 60s and 70s, I really mean, under the licensed racing of USAC, which was pre-cart (formed in 1978-1979 or something) at the time. I'm pretty sure that's common sense.

So yes, Mark Donohue, Mario Andretti came UP from 'Indycars' or 5.0l, Champcars, USAC cars, or modified F5000 cars. Whatever the hell you want to call them, they started the indy 500 BEFORE their F1 career when the Indy 500 was on the USAC schedule, and since CART obtained the rights of USAC, there are two drivers who came UP from Indycars to F1. Another notable driver, if thats not sufficient, is Jaques Villenueve (Who won the 1995 CART championship BEFORE his F1 start) and Juan Pablo Montoya

Drivers who came down from F1 to Indycar racing are Reubens Barrichello, Nigel Mansell, Emerson Fittipaldi....

Edit: Not to mention theres a few drivers who ran F1 alongside AAA/ USAC, including Graham Hill.

I'm rather surprised, since these are big names, I was asked for a list.

Last edited by Shinzah; 1 April 12 at 06:19.
Old 1 April 12, 06:28   #62
hoboholic
Hobo strikes again!

Sebastian Bordais (spelling fail?) came up to F1 from Indy Car (Champ Car at the time), I'm sure there are quite a few others...
hoboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 12, 06:34   #63
jgf

CART did not obtain the rights of USAC, they split from them after increasing dissent over various management and finance issues. As later the IRL split from CART because Hulman wanted more control.

And since Donohue, Andretti, etc. never raced in the IRL, they couldn't have come from IRL to F1. Just like NASCARE announcers constantly saying Richard Petty was a seven time Sprint Cup champion; Petty was a Grand National champion and a Winston Cup champion, but he retired years before NASCARE's top echelon became Sprint Cup.
Old 1 April 12, 09:56   #64
stagman

Shinzah, you were correct in your thinking. But you did use the moniker 'IRL' which doesn't include CART or CCWS in my books. No driver of any calibre has gone from IRL to F1. In my opinion the ship has sunk far enough that it will be at least a decade before any decent driver goes from IRL to F1.
stagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 12, 15:09   #65
Shinzah

And this is exactly why I didn't care to respond. I would get a ton of flames saying indycars aren't indycars because I called it IRL. Its the same frikken thing.

They went from INDYCARS to F1. Get over it.

Also, I can spell NASCAR while still disliking the sport. Someone your age really should act more mature, jgf.

Edit: I gave you drivers who have confirmed starts in the Indy 500 before their F1 careers began. What cars run the Indy 500? Indycars do. It doesn't matter if they are CART, CCWS, USAC drivers. They drove an indycar before their F1 career. Period. End of arguement. Back on topic.

Last edited by Shinzah; 1 April 12 at 15:20.
Old 1 April 12, 17:06   #66
Copef1
Donated

Not to stir up anymore contention, but I think its just called Indycar now. IRL was the Indy Racing League, which I think changed when we got rid of Tony George. Anyway, IRL, CART, USAC, and now Indycar, have all run Indy style races, and drivers have gone both from "Indy", to F1, and vice versa, for a very long time.
Copef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 12, 20:11   #67
jgf

Quote:

Also, I can spell NASCAR while still disliking the sport. Someone your age really should act more mature, jgf.

For lack of a better argument you resort to personal attacks? maturity indeed
Old 1 April 12, 20:58   #68
Shinzah

Hardly.

In other news, how about that race Reubens ran today? Impressive!
Old 1 April 12, 21:03   #69
Apex1972

Ayrton Senna also tested a Penske chassis in 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5pwFSjO5bs
Apex1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 12, 22:11   #70
guybo

That was a damn good race today. I don't think we have to worry about the new cars not being able to pass. If they can pass at Barber, they can pass anywhere
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 12, 00:03   #71
hoboholic
Hobo strikes again!

Any highlights of the race today?
hoboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 12, 02:14   #72
johnnymat
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
That was a damn good race today. I don't think we have to worry about the new cars not being able to pass. If they can pass at Barber, they can pass anywhere
You're right about that! There was a surprising amount of passing and clean driving for the most part.

Good to see Bourdais get a Lotus into the top ten. Also good to see Rubens move up the finishing order. All in all a good clean race.
johnnymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 12, 02:15   #73
johnnymat
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboholic View Post
Any highlights of the race today?
The probably have a highlight video at indycar.com.
Old 2 April 12, 02:48   #74
guybo

Bourdais is finding his pace again, but it's too bad he's stuck with that Lotus engine. I wonder if Rubens still has that drive to win? After 19 years of limited success I just get the feeling that he lacks that intangible need to win.
Old 2 April 12, 05:09   #75
Shinzah

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymat View Post
The probably have a highlight video at indycar.com.
How will they fit all of Bourdais' battles into one highlight show?!
Old 2 April 12, 08:26   #76
Hitman_M3

Is there any web where the races can be watched for free, even if not live?
Hitman_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 12, 13:35   #77
MickeyMouse

I'm impressed with Bourdais, I think he is still as fast as he always was. Kind of like Alonso, he can drag an awful car to a respectable finish. With a half decent car, I think he would be unstoppable.

I'm also impressed with Hinchcliffe so far, I think he'll probably win a few this year. It's also nice to see Castroneves back on form after a pretty bad season.
MickeyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 12, 17:20   #78
johnnymat
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman_M3 View Post
I haven't found anything like the ALMS does with live streaming, unless Indy Car has some sort of arrangement with an overseas television or internet broadcaster. If they do, they don't mention anything at their website.
Old 2 April 12, 17:21   #79
johnnymat
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMouse View Post
I'm impressed with Bourdais, I think he is still as fast as he always was. Kind of like Alonso, he can drag an awful car to a respectable finish. With a half decent car, I think he would be unstoppable.

I'm also impressed with Hinchcliffe so far, I think he'll probably win a few this year. It's also nice to see Castroneves back on form after a pretty bad season.
You certainly have to be impressed with Bourdais and Hinchcliffe. It's shaping up to be an interesting season so far.
Old 2 April 12, 17:36   #80
Gralski Vitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman_M3 View Post
http://www.lshunter.tv/motor-sports-...ing-video.html

Watched it here last night
Gralski Vitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 12, 18:04   #81
Hitman_M3

Cheers thxs Gralski
Hitman_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 12, 19:23   #82
Gralski Vitez

Your welcom,e you can find all motorsport there.. put the page on bookmark and enjoy
Gralski Vitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 12, 21:48   #83
Slicerer

I have a good chance of running into Rubens and all the other guys tomorrow at Long Beach. I has paddock passes and everything and I am planning to film a good chunk of the racing, provided it's not pelting rain.

Any questions for any of the drivers?
Slicerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 12, 03:52   #84
ColdBrain
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicerer View Post
Any questions for any of the drivers?
Ask Rubens if he'd go back to Ferrari in case Massa gets booted from there!

[/sarcasm]
ColdBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 12, 05:50   #85
Shinzah

Ask Hinch if I can have a key to Hinchtown!
Old 14 April 12, 15:15   #86
johnnymat
Donated

There's an interesting situation in Indy Car this weekend in the run up to the Long Beach Grand Prix.

All the Chevy teams are being given a penalty of 10 spots on the grid for changing engines at Chevrolet's insistence.

Honda isn't getting as much benefit as they could because Indy Car will not let them use the new twin turbo configuration as opposed to the single turbo they're using now.

I think Indy Car is correct to stand by their decisions, at least for now.

http://www.crash.net/indycar/news/17...s_indycar.html
Old 15 April 12, 22:20   #87
guybo

Wow, maybe Chevy should spot all other teams 10 places every race just to make it fair? It's better on fuel AND faster. There's Chevy and everyone else.

It seems to me that this new car is only half baked. It's making for some good racing but also it's making for a lot of mechanical issues. Like F1 in the 70's. Lotus is clearly not even a contender, Honda isn't in the same league as Chevy and all the engines have issues.

What's the over/under on FINISHERS at Indy? 15? I have a bad feeling that will be a race of attrition.
Old 16 April 12, 01:00   #88
Spike

They'll need a great Indy 500, their ratings are tanking, it's estimated less than 300,000 watched the Barber race on tv. Really doesn't help that for 11 of the 16 races they are on a channel hardly anybody gets.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 12, 15:03   #89
johnnymat
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Wow, maybe Chevy should spot all other teams 10 places every race just to make it fair? It's better on fuel AND faster. There's Chevy and everyone else.

It seems to me that this new car is only half baked. It's making for some good racing but also it's making for a lot of mechanical issues. Like F1 in the 70's. Lotus is clearly not even a contender, Honda isn't in the same league as Chevy and all the engines have issues.

What's the over/under on FINISHERS at Indy? 15? I have a bad feeling that will be a race of attrition.
I don't think it's unusual to have issues when you have a new car and three new engine manufacturers in a series , especially a series that's trying to contain costs.

Lotus obviously has a long ways to go ; Honda will close the gap to the Chevys.

The race yesterday was a good one; a lot of passing, especially for a street course. Kudos to Will Power and Simon Pagenaud. Sato also drove well and would have gotten a podium if Hunter-Reay hadn't punted him on the last lap.
That would have made it 2 Hondas in the top three.

I hope you're wrong about the Indy 500 ; I would hate to see a tiny field still running at the end.
Old 16 April 12, 15:05   #90
johnnymat
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
They'll need a great Indy 500, their ratings are tanking, it's estimated less than 300,000 watched the Barber race on tv. Really doesn't help that for 11 of the 16 races they are on a channel hardly anybody gets.
I'm not sure it would help even if they were on the most watched network in the country. Indy Car racing is a niche sport like the ALMS and Grand-Am. You're never going to have many people interested.
Old 16 April 12, 16:17   #91
Copef1
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymat View Post
I'm not sure it would help even if they were on the most watched network in the country. Indy Car racing is a niche sport like the ALMS and Grand-Am. You're never going to have many people interested.
In the early to mid 90's it was as big, if not bigger than NASCAR. I went to a race in Portland OR. once where over 100,000 people came through the gates over the 3 day event.

I believe a tv contract that showed all the races on one of the big TV networks would help, but I think that Indycar still has other problems. I'm not totally sold on the new car. Its got visual appeal problems if you ask me. I also think they need one or two American drivers that challenge for the championship, and win on a regular basis. Its a long time now since the days of Mears, Sullivan, Unser, Rahal, and Andretti. I sure hope they get it together, because I have been a life long fan. I bought a book in 1973, called "Indy 500 Winners", that got me hooked on racing. I was only 7 years old then, and I still have that book. I'd love to see it return to the glory days of the mid 90's
Copef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 12, 04:07   #92
MickeyMouse

NASCAR really knew how to market itself, and I'm pretty sure that's why they have 20x the ratings of IndyCar now. I remember in the late 90's going into a gas station (you had to pay with that paper stuff back then) and seeing huge NASCAR displays with all kinds of trinkets, I thought to myself, "Why isn't there any CART stuff here?".
MickeyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 12, 22:35   #93
Shinzah

In the late 90s NASCAR made a big push in marketing that carried over into the spectacle marketing of today, after the handover from Winston to Nextel, Sprint, whatever, who then gave them huuuuge marketing bonuses with all their national marketing departments made NASCAR's visibility go out of control.

Before NASCAR had such popularity, it wasn't as greatly influential through the 80s and early 90s as Group C and Indycars were.

In reality, NASCAR is the niche sport, but marketted wholey better then the rest.