NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > The Site > Site help and suggestions

Old 26 February 12, 19:41   #1
jgf

Default download limits... again

This isn't a complaint about the limit itself but rather how it's computed.

I click "download" for a large (97meg) file, get the popup asking for location, and cancel rather than OK the download. So nothing was downloaded. A couple of minutes later, after d/ling a small (2 meg) file I decide to now d/l the large file ...only to be told "You have used 100MB of your 100MB daily limit!".

This is not the first time this has occurred. Selecting then cancelling a download should NOT count towards your daily limit.
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 12, 01:46   #2
Veloce
Administrator

and when someone rewrites the http specification AND php so it can accurately detect when a user clicks cancel I will happily fix that

until that time its a pita but why click on download only to change your mind ?

Veloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 12, 01:49   #3
brabham67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce View Post

Maybe just accidental? I've done that a few times. Usually if I'm in a hurry for some reason.
brabham67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 12, 02:35   #4
jgf

Quote:
... but why click on download only to change your mind ?

In this case I didn't notice the d/l size at first; cancelled so I could check what other d/ls were new. Other times I've cancelled before d/ling the wrong version of a file (how many new tracks appear in GTL, GTR2, and rfactor versions at the same time - with the same name?).
Old 28 February 12, 03:07   #5
Humpfester
Super Moderator

I've done this in the past, look before you leap.
Humpfester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 12, 09:27   #6
GTR Dude
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpfester View Post

I wish you had told me that before I met my ex-Wife.
GTR Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 12, 11:05   #7
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpfester View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR Dude View Post
I wish you had told me that before I met my ex-Wife.
Repenting always comes after the sin...
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 12, 11:34   #8
skiffle

Quote:
and when someone rewrites the http specification AND php so it can accurately detect when a user clicks cancel I will happily fix that

I've had something more annoying happen, though thankfully rarely - the web browser crashed when I clicked on the download link. It was the worst of both worlds, as the file failed to download but NoGrip thought that I had downloaded the file and counted it towards my download limit.
skiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 12, 06:40   #9
davidquick

I've just tried to download Frasie's new NG Valley track. Unfortunately there was a break in my wireless connection after I'd only downloaded 8mb and I was unable to resume it once the connection was back. I tried to download again and nogrip tells me I've used my 100mbs, so same thing.
davidquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 12, 01:12   #10
Veloce
Administrator

that doesn't sound right, it *should* allow you to re-download it when that happens, regardless of limit
Old 17 March 12, 02:52   #11
vondutch51

I had the same thing happen. I started to download the NG Valley track. When I saw it was 122 mb I cancelled the download as I wanted to get a couple of skins. After I did that(didn't download any of NG btw) the site told me I was over my daily limit.
vondutch51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 12, 04:23   #12
looseether

I too had a problem with downloading NG Valley for GTL. I only got 20Mbs of the file for some reason and when I went to re-download the track or anything else that night, my limit was used up.

I succesfully re-downloaded NG Valley for GTL the following night once my limit was reset.
looseether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 12, 05:17   #13
Shinzah

Quote:

Isn't there a way you can employ to detect how much bandwidth an IP is using? It would probably require some complex scripting, but I don't see why this isn't possible, unless it would require the moving around of subdomains and such
Shinzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 12, 12:07   #14
davidquick

..just happened again!!
davidquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 12, 15:15   #15
president

Have you considered donating?
president is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 12, 16:09   #16
Pete Conway

I see it as a privilege to be able to download things for my games for free, and I feel if I have a limit then I'll wait until later... the world won't end if I don't have it 'today' and I have no desires to claim "first" d/l of a mod for the sake of it.

So I thank all Mod up-loaders and "No Grip" for their joint effort in enhancing my playtime.
Pete Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 12, 03:30   #17
steilkurvenfahrer

Well I'm brand new to this place and at this point I want the "Maikita Iceland" - Map - a lot but do I miss my guess that I cannot download it - I just tried and it DLd 8kb then telling me my limit is gone. Well don't look good,huh!?
steilkurvenfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 12, 03:32   #18
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Conway View Post
I see it as a privilege to be able to download things for my games for free

DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 12, 07:24   #19
steilkurvenfahrer

I am very thankful for this site and what people do always been and always will and I was just asking HOW am I supposed to DL a 209 MB track when I have a 100 MB limit? Well nevermind - btw. there are people who can't afford anything "extra" maybe that should be acknowleged as well. Also there are sites where everything is free - and that is a fact too imo.
steilkurvenfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 12, 13:52   #20
Klapaucjusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurvenfahrer View Post
I was just asking HOW am I supposed to DL a 209 MB track when I have a 100 MB limit?
You can always download a single large file, even if it's more than 100MB. This problem existed a couple of years ago, but it's fixed now.
Klapaucjusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 12, 07:05   #21
NorthernUnion

Big thank you to the site owners for offering the down loads. On a technical note, another site i use is Customanics. They are able to employ a system that doesn't count a down load against you if you cancel it before it starts.
NorthernUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 12, 08:18   #22
smallblockhero
Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by president View Post
Have you considered donating?
this was my way around that lil problem. for as much as ive downloaded over the years it was the least i could do.

i understand if your new to the site and not into sim racing as much as some of us and dont want to donate as of yet. but in the future its a great option.
smallblockhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 12, 01:16   #23
ZeosPantera

To avoid this issue if there is something my friends and I want to try instead of 8 people all killing their limit, one person just grabs it and throws it up on a private mediafire or minus account for the group download. That way if there are 3-4 large files we need everyone can take a turn DLing it from here. Not very convenient considering you need the friends to make this work but it never hurts to spread out the file load from no-grip anyway.
ZeosPantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 12, 15:34   #24
theangrygimp

I was billed the recurring charge of 5$ last week, but I'm getting download limits as of last night, are bandwidth limits on for people who paid now?
theangrygimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 12, 00:22   #25
tallman5353

Yes i have just paid a donation ($5) and am still getting the 100mb limit. What gives?
tallman5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 12, 00:43   #26
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeosPantera View Post
To avoid this issue if there is something my friends and I want to try instead of 8 people all killing their limit, one person just grabs it and throws it up on a private mediafire or minus account for the group download. That way if there are 3-4 large files we need everyone can take a turn DLing it from here. Not very convenient considering you need the friends to make this work but it never hurts to spread out the file load from no-grip anyway.

Do you realise many of those files are not allowed to be up linked elsewhere.

If torrents had not been wrongly seen as taboo by sites for so many years it would be as easy as getting say ....all rFactor2 tracks in one download :p which unlike your way benefits everyone as they get some upload back. !

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 10 September 12 at 00:55.
Old 10 September 12, 00:57   #27
jgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
Do you realise many of those files are not allowed to be up linked elsewhere.
I suppose the argument could be made for private vs public linking. Would that be different from downloading a free file then installing it on five friends' computers?
Old 10 September 12, 00:59   #28
yetisaj

Is there really anything on this site that you cannot wait one more day for if this does happen? If the problem can be fixed I'm all for it as it is a bug in the system and nothing good is happening because of it. However, I'm pretty sure Veloce has answered JGFs initial question and it seems we will just have to live with it.

I know its annoying, but its really not the end of the world. I'm sure we can wait 24 hours for the reset.
yetisaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 12, 01:05   #29
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgf View Post
I suppose the argument could be made for private vs public linking. Would that be different from downloading a free file then installing it on five friends' computers?

No different to ripping a track, making a private link and at the same time telling everyone you did it.

My point was not about legality rather why do people have to post what they do ?

Old 10 September 12, 13:09   #30
Veloce
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangrygimp View Post
I was billed the recurring charge of 5$ last week, but I'm getting download limits as of last night, are bandwidth limits on for people who paid now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman5353 View Post
Yes i have just paid a donation ($5) and am still getting the 100mb limit. What gives?

guys, please post in the donations topic so Jabba will see it , and he'll get that fixed for you ASAP > http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16179

it's a sometimes occurring problem where Paypal does not correctly send the payment notification, so your account here is not upgraded