NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor 2

Old 5 May 12, 23:44   #1
DoubleT

Default No mass

I'd like to hear from anybody who does mods..."What, if any, are the limitations to properly implementing vehicle mass values to any particular chassis?"
I ask, because vehicles from both major projects seem to be severely lacking it. Any off track excursion...in either sim, results in some wild and rather high frequency oscillations as viewed from outside the cars. Let's hope the final versions will have this sorted with suitable chassis behavior.

Last edited by DoubleT; 6 May 12 at 02:28.
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 12, 12:19   #2
Chronus

With ISI-based simulations, the problem is definitely not in the masses. Never was, unless people were/are really lazy and put in some mass without any modest research or common sense.

The problem has been with INERTIAS - chassis, engine, axles, wheels, brakes.

I have said so in the past, inertias are being, for the most part, wrongly calculated. I explained why and gave people some pointers on how to do it properly.

Obviously, some people prefer averages and percentages on averages for known inertias for this or that car, which is still wrong.

When properly calculated, the behaviour of cars changes for the better because the underlying physics engine is quite good.

That simple.

From what I have been told, the problem remains the same with mods prepared for isiMotor2.5.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 12, 15:07   #3
DoubleT

Thanks for the reply Chronus. I was starting to believe it was a 'hard' limitation.
I just find it very strange that neither camp at this stage, have this properly implemented...(BETA, pre-Alpha or not).
If you look at the cars (from the exterior view) during a replay...even with the very softest of setup, (wherein the chassis would yield nicely over bumps)..the thing still bounces rather un-naturally fast and at very high frequency.
It almost seems as if the body of the cars have no weight or mass associated with it. Looks rather 'cartoonish'.
I realize that neither is finished, so I'm hoping they've just left this out for now, due to some restriction or limitation in the test program. It would be a massive oversight if it isn't there in the final product.
The replay view in RF1 is better than either RF2 or PCARS at this stage...and it should'nt be.

Last edited by DoubleT; 6 May 12 at 15:30.
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 12, 18:18   #4
Chronus

I agree, neither mod is finished so there is a possibility that they will look into this. Sadly, in the past, many didn't.

Maybe, just maybe, the groups behind them, are open enough for fans such as yourself to give them their input? I'd bet they stand to gain something from fair and loyal fans giving them feedback. IMO, of course.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 12, 08:59   #5
Brock Yates

I don't know about ISI cars, but I've seen with rF2 that when you make proper inertia calculations it will look and feel just about right. This can be also seen in hard crashes where there is rollovers going on, rF2 has a lot better collision detection and together with correct inertias, end result is pretty nice.
Brock Yates is offline   Reply With Quote