NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Old 9 May 12, 03:18   #1
Andy 22673

Default Need some help

I did some upgrades on my computer new OS and some new hardware and my performance seems to have gone down a little and I don't know why.
I did a disk format and clean install of Windows 7 64 finally replacing XP. Everything seems to have gone Ok, boots to desktop in less than 30 sec and running a average of 44 processes.

I replaced my 2GB of Ram with 8GB and my HD4850 with a HD7850 and had to replace my OCZ power supply with a new one because it burned out at the power switch. I did spend a little more money this time and invested in the Thermaltake Black Widow 850W.

I'm using Race Injection as the test game. I thought the 7850 would crush this game but it's not I think something may be holding it back. These are my current spec's

Intel C2D E8500
Asus P5Q3
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
WD Caviar Black HD
Sapphire HD7850 OC
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W
Window 7 64 Service pack 1

My Windows Experience Index is 5.9 based on my HD rated at 5.9 CPU was 6.7 memory was 7.0 and 7850 was 7.9

Going to the overclockers forum it appears I can push my E8500 to 4Ghz and beyond on the Asus P5Q3 with a good cooler, but I have no overclocking experience and I don't know if that is the answer or not. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

I don't even have my new LED monitor yet, but if it can't handle 1280 Res how is it going to handle 1920. Unless my old monitors refresh rates are to slow?
Andy 22673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 12, 03:25   #2
gears
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 22673 View Post
I thought the 7850 would crush this game but it's not I think something may be holding it back. These are my current spec's

Intel C2D E8500
Asus P5Q3
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
WD Caviar Black HD
Sapphire HD7850 OC
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W
Window 7 64 Service pack 1
CPU is the bottleneck for sure. Dual core and older generation.

A Sandy i5 2500K would bring that 7850 alive. You could keep your RAM. Just get CPU and mobo.
gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 12, 09:03   #3
Sphinx666

CPU most def. I would suggest a quad since both the CPU's and MB's for thows are cheap nowdays and offer great performance. I have an Intel Q9300 2,5 GHz, I would not suggest going below that.
Sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 12, 12:35   #4
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gears View Post
cpu is the bottleneck for sure. Dual core and older generation.

A sandy i5 2500k would bring that 7850 alive. You could keep your ram. Just get cpu and mobo.
+1
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 12, 20:02   #5
CaptSlower

some good suggestions and an i5-2500k would certainly be better, but with your spec the game should be no trouble at all.

i would grab memtest and make sure the ram is working without issue and also prime95/linx are both good to make sure the system is fine under a lot of stress.

Also be prepared to try different driver revisions for the ati card.

Race Injection is a Direct X 9 title that technology wise is 4 years old, it's not demanding, my media box has a dual core E6300 overclocked to 2.8ghz, 4gb ram and an ati 4670 512mb. I can play 1080p smooth on it with anti-aliasing no trouble and that spec is certainly inferior to yours.
CaptSlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 12, 22:43   #6
Andy 22673

I figured my cpu might be the bottleneck. It must really be holding the 7850 back then, because game performance has not increased much at all over the 4850.
My problem is that I want all the bells and whistles turned up and still be able to run a 24 car field in heavy rain with all the special effects maxed out and I guess it's not going to happen. The memtest checked out alright, I think I'm just expecting to much from my system. If I want to play on a new LED at 1920 Res I guess I'm going to have to make further upgrades.

If I get a new cpu and motherboard is it possible to install them without a disk format and new OS install? I'm looking at the 3rd gen Core i5 3570K and the Asus P8Z77-V. Amazon has the cpu for $228 and the board is $144. Good choice or no, can someone advise on the 3570K stock cooler I have heard or read that it is not very good. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus or Evo both have good reviews.

Thanks guys
Old 12 May 12, 22:57   #7
CaptSlower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 22673 View Post
I figured my cpu might be the bottleneck. It must really be holding the 7850 back then, because game performance has not increased much at all over the 4850.
My problem is that I want all the bells and whistles turned up and still be able to run a 24 car field in heavy rain with all the special effects maxed out and I guess it's not going to happen. The memtest checked out alright, I think I'm just expecting to much from my system. If I want to play on a new LED at 1920 Res I guess I'm going to have to make further upgrades.

If I get a new cpu and motherboard is it possible to install them without a disk format and new OS install? I'm looking at the 3rd gen Core i5 3570K and the Asus P8Z77-V. Amazon has the cpu for $228 and the board is $144. Good choice or no, can someone advise on the 3570K stock cooler I have heard or read that it is not very good. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus or Evo both have good reviews.

Thanks guys

That sounds like the best idea. Just make sure you get a nice cooler like a Thermalright Arrow or Noctua Dh14 because overclocking on these generation chips is a breeze and any of the 'k' series will run 4.5ghz cool.(make sure it is a k series or you can't overclock). Also those coolers will last many generations forward too.

You will be looking at a reload unless you get lottery lucky. An i5-3570k is the best bang for buck sandybridge cpu and will run 4.5ghz all day long and pretty much rips everything apart.
For reference I run an i5-2500k at 4.8ghz on a Thermalright Arrow that doesnt hit 60 deg c full load.

DDR3 is dirt cheap now, go for 2 sticks of 4gb which will be around 40. If you can afford it get 16GB

You should also be running 64bit Windows too if you intend to have 4gb or above.

If you are in the Uk, pm me with what you need to get, and what you want to spend and I will put a couple of configurations together for you if you like mate.

Last edited by CaptSlower; 13 May 12 at 12:16.
CaptSlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 12, 02:26   #8
Andy 22673

I just recently upgraded my OS to Windows 7 64 so I'm good there. I also purchased 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 that says is compatable with the i3,i5,i7 cpu's so I should be good there as well.

Right at the moment I'm getting black screens on startup I don't know what is going on I wonder if my new memory is not compatable with the older Asus P5Q3 motherboard. My old Memory was Corsair XMS DDR3 1600 1.8V, the Corsair Vengence is 1.5V. I changed to 1.5V in the bios but I think there still may be a problem. I got a new monitor but I can't see that being the problem I would'nt think. The error I get say's that windows did not shut down properly. I'm a little puzzled. Maybe a new cpu and motherboard to go with that new memory will fix the problem. For now I may have to put my old memory back in and see what happens.