NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > iRacing

Old 5 July 12, 03:24   #1
vondutch51

Default iRacing noob's thoughts after 5 days membership

So I finally bit the bullet and joined. I've been thinking about it for a long time and when I came across the 3 months for 1 promo I decided to give it a go.

First thoughts are, wow there is a lot of info to digest. Safety ratings, Iratings, etc. Fortunately I've been reading some of the threads here for sometime so I don't feel quite so lost.

I've managed to get Advanced Rookie status after 2 races, and 4 TT sessions. Probably would have had it earlier but got taken out (while in third) in my first race in the Mazda Cup at Okayama. That got me a little flustered and I mad some more silly mistakes. Still managed to not drop my SR and my next race was incident free. Currently my SR is 3.42.

I do have a couple of questions. I'm concentrating on the Road racing side of things so now I need to concentrate my racing in the InRacingNews series correct? Or do I have other Series options? As I understand it to graduate to the next class (D???) I need to run a full series and have a 3.0 or better SR at the end of it, or get my SR above 4.0 and I move up immediately? Also when someone makes contact with you or you make contact that is basically unavoidable due to someone else's mistake, does that affect your safety rating?

So all in all I'm liking it (does feel different than ISI based sims) and I can definitely feel its NR2003 roots and maybe even a little GPL thrown in for good measure. Hope to see some of you on the servers. BTW my real name in Iracing is Christian Hamilton.
vondutch51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 12, 04:40   #2
MickeyMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vondutch51 View Post
I do have a couple of questions. I'm concentrating on the Road racing side of things so now I need to concentrate my racing in the InRacingNews series correct? Or do I have other Series options?
The Cadillac cup, Mazda cup or the InRacingNews will all fulfill your MPR.

Quote:
As I understand it to graduate to the next class (D???) I need to run a full series and have a 3.0 or better SR at the end of it, or get my SR above 4.0 and I move up immediately?
Yes, you just need 4 races or 4 TT sessions (doesn't matter in which series), and you promote at the end of the season at 3.0, or instantly at 4.0.

Quote:
Also when someone makes contact with you or you make contact that is basically unavoidable due to someone else's mistake, does that affect your safety rating?
Yes.
MickeyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 12, 07:15   #3
AllanGP
Donated

As above!

Glad you are enjoying it, welcome on board!
AllanGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 12, 09:52   #4
wpsracing78

The only criteria for moving up licenses is 4 races (or TT's) in your current license's series (could be 4 in one, or 1 in all 4, etc) and then as soon as you hit 4.00SR you move up!

I never had to wait for the end of a season to jump up - Infact I think C-B I got to 4.00 in 4 races and moved up in 1 night!!!

as far as the series - somethings might have changed since last year when I started, but I think I went MX5 for 4.00->C, in D, Skip Barber for the 4 D races and MX5 until 4.00->C, then in C, V8's and Star Mazda until 4.00-B
now you have GT's in C!!

So basically, you only need to do the 4 races of your correct "MPR", therefore needing a car in that license category - but the SR of course can be made in any car.

Me personally, I wasn't comfortable with myself until I made A! I just felt I needed to get there fast!
But I had a lot of fun along the way - but much more fun now! haha

You will learn all of the lingo, licences, ratings, points, schedule stuff, etc, etc with experience - You will get very comfortable quite quickly!

Another thing - You'll probably start with a low iRating, that doesn't matter - I've been going up for over 10months and have yet to plateau, so don't worry about IR for a while! Just concentrate on SR.

rant over!
wpsracing78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 12, 10:03   #5
Chronus

First off, welcome.

I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

Here's a little gem by darock with great advices:
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=14

Finally: one advice people give and is often overlooked, don't worry too much with getting to higher licenses. I know people who got to the higher classes (A and B) without actually being ready for it and they spoil(ed) their enjoyment and that of others.

Enjoy!
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 12, 11:08   #6
AllanGP
Donated

Unless you want to drive a specific car don't worry about licences and in some respects if you concentrate on driving cleanly SR takes care of itself too.

I stayed at B for ages because I did not want to drive the higher cars but got promoted at the end of a Season because I was over 3 and it's never dropped back since, however, I still don't drive any "A" cars.

Main thing is, take it slowly, there is lot's to learn, drive cleanly and enjoy yourself.

However getting out of Rookie is a definite plus point as the racing gets much better in D, C & B onwards.
Old 5 July 12, 16:40   #7
wpsracing78

You're right - there is fantastic racing in D on up.

Well if you're lucky you can get fantastic racing in rookies!

Eg, I raced with Chaz Mostert (future V8SC great) in MX5's in rookies!!

one last bit of advice - In the Rookie class - definitely qualify!! You want the least amount of people infront of you as possible!
wpsracing78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 12, 18:40   #8
MINIMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post

Finally: one advice people give and is often overlooked, don't worry too much with getting to higher licenses. I know people who got to the higher classes (A and B) without actually being ready for it and they spoil(ed) their enjoyment and that of others.

Enjoy!
+1

There are numerous A and B drivers who aren't that fast and should have not moved up so fast as they don't have the skills or speed yet.

Enjoy the journey and don't be in a big hurry to move up.

Just remember the higher up you go, the more accidents and offs hurt your SR.
MINIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 12, 02:08   #9
pro bono1984

I'd read all this before I joined and thanks to you nice people of nogrip!

But unfortunately I got taken out several times by a bunch of wreckers in my first race... They said something like "I suffer greatly in passing the traffic" and then started taking out everyone.

Got rear-ended by someone in the next race, and in the race after that I spun out and crashed, so I think I got demoted there, because in the next race I was in pole position among kind of slow people.

I thought some of them who hadn't qulified were way faster than me so I decided to race from pit lane. But I encountered with a couple of lagging people and spun out and crashed yet again.

I hope racing in D will be better and am really hoping to get to D.
But atm I don't know how... Run out of ideas really. When I try to take it easy some people rear-end me and if I push hard I might spin out and crash.

The best I can think of is do a whole bunch of pit starts and hope there won't be anyone lagging in front...
pro bono1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 12, 07:11   #10
AllanGP
Donated

Or try racing at a completely different time slot and see if the standard of the competition improves? At least until you are out of Rookie.
Old 6 August 12, 08:36   #11
Kalifen

Lagging happens now and then, but it sounds like you have had bad luck.

There are two things that will help you:
1. To get out of rookie. Can be done either through racing or time trialling. Also, SR can actually be gained through qualifying sessions, but you need to complete 4 races or 4 time trials anyhow. And only requirement for improving SR is avoiding incidents - you can go as slow as you like.
2. Improve your iRating. At the moment you can't see it, but it is there. And, in fact, you can find it if you look at your latest result and click "Output CSV". iRating is the basis for the splits - generally the higher up, the better the racing. As a general rule, not a guarantee. Note that even if you get promoted to higher classes, you will most likely still run into bad driving in the lower splits.

So, besides that, practicing before racing will be a good idea. If you are well prepared, you will avoid making mistakes on your own, which naturally helps SR, and also you will profit from your gained consistency when others screw up. And in rookie, they often do

Also, during a race, there are things you can do. If you identify the moron of the field before he hits you, you have the option of letting him go when he gets close. There's a chance he will screw up later, possibly even taking others with him, gaining you a few positions. At least, by letting him go you will lose only one position instead of various, and your SR will be grateful.

Furthermore, to minimize chances of being rear ended, you can choose defensive lines approaching corners. If the driver behind is not directly behind, there's less chance he will bang right into you. Also, if you go towards the inside before braking, he will (most likely) not try dive bombing on the inside, thus you will remove the possibility of being pushed wide. Your speed will suffer, though, keep that in mind.

Particularly for cars with brake lights it may also be a good idea to brake rather lightly at first, to light up the brake lights. This will in most cases be a good clue for the following driver to start braking, so when you a short moment later apply full braking power, you have a better chance of surviving.

EDIT: Also, get to know the spectate function. It could be a good idea to spectate a few races (you can drive as a ghost) and get to see how people drive in both upper and middle splits.
Kalifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 12, 09:10   #12
David H

I started playing a few days back (due to the free 6 month sub to be perfectly honest). And am loving it, not had time to play much though.

As "pro bono1984" said, some of the Rookies who no doubt took advantage of the free sub are just out to wreck everyone elses races sadly. You regulars must hate free subs lol. Being taken out by idiots for a laugh is so annoying.

One quick question, when the chequered flag is shown, can you just stop the car and "Escape" out without penalty? I always drive back to my pit box, but twice I've been hit by someone on the slowdown lap - I don't think this affects my SR though? maybe someone could confirm.

Thanks AllanGP and all the regulars here for helping out us iRacing newbies.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 12, 09:33   #13
rafnix

Yes you can exit right after David.

After 10 days of I-got no manner- Racing I took n take a further break from bad behavior n no respect n juvenile attitude. Even not ONE of many oval races all around 24hrs day ended without a carnage. And it's not I was involved as I focused on no contacts only. It's the basic human education I am missing big time so I for one move on.
rafnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 12, 09:46   #14
Kalifen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
One quick question, when the chequered flag is shown, can you just stop the car and "Escape" out without penalty? I always drive back to my pit box, but twice I've been hit by someone on the slowdown lap - I don't think this affects my SR though? maybe someone could confirm
Incidents after chequered flag count until *everybody* have finished their race. As long as someone is still out there, two drivers that have finished may still touch and get a 4x for example. Btw, the sporting code always applies, you can in fact protest actions performed even after the race is over.

After one miserable first race, which was my own fault, I found it rather easy to get out of rookie on the road side. (And frighteningly easy to reach A4.99 also.) Since then I have seen mostly clean racing. A few morons are out there in higher classes as well, of course, but usually I have nice races. I feel sorry for all those that have different experiences.
Old 6 August 12, 10:08   #15
AllanGP
Donated

Yes, feeling quite sorry for all those having issues. I was lucky when I started and got out of Rookie fairly quickly and to be honest in UK time zones found no real issues. I was helped a lot by No Grip members at the time, Jack B mainly but Steve81 et al also. It's the main reason I stay loyal to No Grip really as there were many helpful people here then (2009).

Must admit I've never advocated TT to get out of Rookie but if it is as bad as you describe maybe that is the best way out.

D and above should give you less and less issues but do you do come across the occasional "nut job" every now and again.

As has been said, you don't need to win to get out of Rookie just improve your SR, which you can do by being last but driving clean.
Old 6 August 12, 11:03   #16
darock

by Kalifen pretty much cover it guys.

Both iRating and SR are important. And learning to give room is probably the most important driving skill. Spelled out in Kalifen's post.
darock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 12, 16:06   #17
brabham67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafnix View Post
Yes you can exit right after David.

After 10 days of I-got no manner- Racing I took n take a further break from bad behavior n no respect n juvenile attitude. Even not ONE of many oval races all around 24hrs day ended without a carnage. And it's not I was involved as I focused on no contacts only. It's the basic human education I am missing big time so I for one move on.
Rookie races are terrible, oval rookie is an order of magnitude worse. It took me 3 weeks to get out of rookie oval, and I have avoided Rookie oval events since, with one exception. I ran a Street Stock race at Charlotte, which as usual, ended with me being punted out of 2nd place. Never again. I'll stick with hosted and league racing for now.
brabham67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 12, 02:39   #18
pro bono1984

Thank you very much everyone!

I tried a different time slot after I'd been hit by a couple of idiots going in the wrong way. And things went way better for me. Thank you AllanGP!

I started a couple of races from pole postion and the first race was incident free (yay). Thank you Kalifen! Your post is awesome!

In the second race I pushed more. When the guy in 2nd position was kind of far away I thought, "this is my first winnn."
But I ran into a guy who kept ignoring the blue flag and I didn't want to make contanct and ruin my race. Soon the guy in 2nd came up from behind and rammed me and took the lead.
But to be fair, I guess he didn't mean to do that. The lap down dude was unpredictable...
on the second thought maybe it's possible that he didn't even know the meaning of the blue flag...

So anyway I'm thinking I have to be patient till I get out of Rookie.
But maybe It has a lot to do with luck, because in the first race a British guy was nice after the race and everybody was like "good race" and it was way better than the second race.

I'm still painfully slow however, maybe mostly because I heel & toe and properly blip.
Since it seems that the MX-5 has ABS, braking is kind of easy, but I guess I have to practise my upshifts more. A racing instructor says this can make up 0.5 sec sometimes...

Thank you very much guys! Awesome community!

Last edited by pro bono1984; 2 April 14 at 05:31.
pro bono1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 12, 06:41   #19
AllanGP
Donated

Great to hear it is going better. Remember you don't have to win in Rookie to get out just stay clean. Whilst your competitive instincts say's "go for it" for your SR you should settle for a safe second! That will get you out of Rookie quicker. Good Luck.
Old 7 August 12, 09:29   #20
David H

Same here as pro bono really, only managed one race last night, just trying to stay clean really, I just went off the track once (while letting a leader lap me) and my SR rating went up from 2.86 to 3.49 I think it is, a nice 0.63 increase in one race. Finished eighth out of eleven but hey-ho.

Going to start qualifying from now on I think, qualifying offs affect SR though don't they?

Thanks again for the tips chaps.
Old 7 August 12, 10:35   #21
darock

Quote:
Same here as pro bono really, only managed one race last night, just trying to stay clean really, I just went off the track once (while letting a leader lap me) and my SR rating went up from 2.86 to 3.49 I think it is, a nice 0.63 increase in one race. Finished eighth out of eleven but hey-ho.

Going to start qualifying from now on I think, qualifying offs affect SR though don't they?

Thanks again for the tips chaps.
Stay on the track AND don't hit or be hit, and you'll be out of rookie in no time.

That big jump is one of iRacing's quirks. Whenever your SR passes over a whole number (1.0, 2.0, 3.0) they add or subtract an extra amount.

Qualifying offs do affect your SR, so practice before running a qual so you don't go off. Trying too hard during a qual really is a waste of time. Qualifying is an excellent thing to do, but until you're really fast, going for the last tenths is a waste. Those last tenths aren't going to do anything at all for someone who is worried about going off. If you haven't put enough effort into it that you're reliable around the track you're not going to be pole fast either.
Old 7 August 12, 10:58   #22
AllanGP
Donated

Yep, you get a bonus of +0.4 going over a whole number but watch out you lose the same bonus going below a whole number.
Old 9 August 12, 15:24   #23
David H

Thanks, two small questions if I may, did search for answers first but couldn't find a proper post/answer.

1) To start from the pit do I just let the 60 second GRID light go to zero and I'll be placed in the pits automatically?

2) I am part of the probable 0.01% of people that really enjoy time trials, you mention that it can be used to increase your SR, I've run a few sessions, mainly fairly clean or with zero incidents, met the required minimum number of laps but my SR only goes up by 0.01 each time, is this correct or am I missing something? it's the same for both Road and Oval TT in my experience so far.

Thanks.
Old 9 August 12, 15:51   #24
AllanGP
Donated

1) Not sure never done it! but I think once the timer runs down you get another button to start from the Pit Lane.

2) TT's only count at 0.5 x races, may be a different multiple but it is not 1 x like races.

I think you will find the multipliers in the Sporting Code!
Old 9 August 12, 15:53   #25
SternRav0R

1) You have to wait for the Green Flag to drop before joining the Grid to Pit Start. The Grid button isn't timed to end when the green flag drops.
2) SR score for TT's depends on the Cars potential lap times vs your actual times plus your ability to stay on the Race line. Basically faster cars on tracks that have an easy to follow race line give more SR. Most I have seen from a TT in Rookie was .08 in the Caddy on Mosport.

Tip for TT's. Run Test sessions with racing line driving aid turned on and MEMORIZE it!
SternRav0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 12, 16:14   #26
David H

Thanks for the reply, so to start from the Pit I do nothing, and just wait until I appear in the pits? sorry just want to be 100% clear.

Time Trial SR - thanks for clearing that up, I'm obviously not going fast enough! I did notice a 0.03 SR increase in one TT session on further examination, so that looks like my only exception so far sadly. Must try harder as my school teacher used to say.
Old 9 August 12, 19:07   #27
darock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SternRav0R View Post
2) SR score for TT's depends on the Cars potential lap times vs your actual times plus your ability to stay on the Race line. Basically faster cars on tracks that have an easy to follow race line give more SR. Most I have seen from a TT in Rookie was .08 in the Caddy on Mosport.
Your SR result from a TT is a function of how many clean laps (corners) you run. SR is not affected by how fast you are. Your resulting SR is also a function of your previous SR history. It is figured against a set number of corners from now back. As you add corner counts to this end of the total, that count "pushes off" your earlier history for that number of corners. If your previous history was bad, your new SR will reflect it's makeup being from a cleaner overall performance. Your new SR will be even better than your performance in that TT because the overall performance includes cleaner laps than before. If the displaced history was excellent and your recently completed TT was not, your new SR will be decreased. Speed has nothing to do with SR.

Your TTrating is a function of your lap times etc.

Last edited by darock; 9 August 12 at 19:19.
Old 9 August 12, 19:30   #28
darock

In order for your TT performance to give you more than paltry increases you need to run a number of clean corners/laps. Just running a couple won't do you any real good. Just a few will only displace a few earlier ones. No real value in that for SR AND.........

It's really not much value to run short TTs. You don't learn much on track and you don't log a lot of corners.

Since TTs are an excellent way to work on setups, I usually do setup work in them. It's a way to get something more than setup improvements out of the time spent. In oval TTs the target is usually 10 laps. So I do one run and record the 10 lap time. Changing something in the setup and running another 10 laps gives a time that can be used for comparison. Changing the change more or less and another 10 laps and I've got some really useful result. I often find myself being told by iRacing code that the session is over. I quite enjoy TTs actually. I find the sessions are quiet enough that it's easy to find better lines and points (braking, turnin etc) while improving the setup.

TTs are valuable tools.
Old 9 August 12, 19:37   #29
darock

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, so to start from the Pit I do nothing, and just wait until I appear in the pits? sorry just want to be 100% clear.
I haven't done it in years, but I think you do have to do more than nothing.

When iRacing goes from the WARMUP to GRID, they have a short time in which they wait for everyone to click the magic button to join the grid. I believe you have to wait for that button to change into one that says something like RACE.

If you click it while iRacing is waiting for you to Grid, you will find yourself on the grid. If you wait until the "come to the grid time" is up and click the button after it's changed to RACE, then you will find yourself in your car sitting in the pits.

There are two different types of race starts: one for rolling starts and one for standing starts. The titles of the buttons may differ from what I think I remember.
Old 9 August 12, 20:13   #30
David H

Thanks for the replies darock, explains everything perfectly.
Old 9 August 12, 21:35   #31
AllanGP
Donated

^ what Darock said!
Old 12 August 12, 08:18   #32
David H

I'm out of rookie now, so no 10 second lead for the field from the pits for me now.

One final question I promise, know not everyone is a fan of TT, but I do like me against the clock now and again. I kKnow iRating starts at 1350, but does anyone know what the TT rating starts at please.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12 August 12, 09:04   #33
AllanGP
Donated

Same level for both, I believe. Now you are out of Rookie it should show your figures at the top of the screen for both.
Old 12 August 12, 12:10   #34
darock

Quote:
I'm out of rookie now, so no 10 second lead for the field from the pits for me now.

One final question I promise, know not everyone is a fan of TT, but I do like me against the clock now and again. I kKnow iRating starts at 1350, but does anyone know what the TT rating starts at please.

Thanks again for all your help.

Uh oh...........

yes, what Allan said BUT.............

After you run a few and see the amazingly strange points you gain or lose, you are going to be wondering how they are awarded. No lie, you don't want to ask. The people who do understand aren't usually pleased with the system and those who try to explain usually forget how to drive during the couple of weeks it takes to try and explain and they're out of the cockpit.
Old 12 August 12, 19:45   #35
David H

Ah OK, was just surprised my TT rating was down to under 1200 after about a dozen sessions, there is no way to track it via .csv file or anyting when your a rookie from what I can see, guess I got penailsed for not completing the minimum number of laps each time, and forgetting that the minimum number I did do often included my slow first lap from the pit box.

Onwards and upwards
Old 12 August 12, 20:58   #36
porph
Donated

Quote:
Ah OK, was just surprised my TT rating was down to under 1200 after about a dozen sessions, there is no way to track it via .csv file or anyting when your a rookie from what I can see, guess I got penailsed for not completing the minimum number of laps each time, and forgetting that the minimum number I did do often included my slow first lap from the pit box.

Onwards and upwards
Which series are you racing in David? I am a new joiner to iRacing as of 3 weeks ago.

This season I am participating in the Mazda Cup, the Grand Touring Cup MC & Mustang Challenge.

A lot of fun!
porph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 12, 21:56   #37
David H

Just the Mazda Cup at the moment, like the short easy tracks with few gear changes! had a couple of clean races in a row, then hell from one driver tonight, wasn't happy until he's punted me off track twice. Am starting to think the 10pm (BST) time slot is one to avoid.

Back to TT rating if anyone is interested, read these couple of posts and check out his results link..

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...6.page#1481024
Old 12 August 12, 22:04   #38
porph
Donated

Ouch.. I had a few like that. I guess it is the problem in the series where you potentially have a number of freebie players with nothing at stake.

Once you're out of rookie it will be better.

Now I seem to be placed in good splits (1st or 2nd) and the racing is good, though my chances of winning has diminished somewhat!
Old 13 August 12, 08:43   #39
Kalifen

Quote:
Just the Mazda Cup at the moment, like the short easy tracks with few gear changes! had a couple of clean races in a row, then hell from one driver tonight, wasn't happy until he's punted me off track twice. Am starting to think the 10pm (BST) time slot is one to avoid.

Back to TT rating if anyone is interested, read these couple of posts and check out his results link..

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...6.page#1481024
This is the interesting point to take from that link:

"ttRating takes your four most recent Time Trials (in any car) at your last eight tracks. If you haven't done that many time trials, the average time will be used - which will usually be some way off the best one at any track. "

Another important thing regarding time trials, is that you are measured against all or a huge history of previous times on that same track in the same car. So when physics change, and the car suddenly is slower than it has been at some point, you will lose points because you can't compete with those times. Works the other way also, when a car is faster than before, you will beat most previous times, resulting in tons of ttRating.
Old 13 August 12, 10:13   #40
darock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifen View Post
Another important thing regarding time trials, is that you are measured against all or a huge history of previous times on that same track in the same car. So when physics change, and the car suddenly is slower than it has been at some point, you will lose points because you can't compete with those times. Works the other way also, when a car is faster than before, you will beat most previous times, resulting in tons of ttRating.
That's true.

It's also true that sometimes when that iRacing signature "car changes suddenly" or a new track is released and run for the 1st time running your 1st race there clean has rewarded you with what looks to be about double the SR award. It's hard to judge the amount however, SR being the convoluted formula it is, but it's not hard to see the bonanza down the SR column in the race report.

BTW, I've never noticed but one member in their forums who said he was running TTs for awards. And he admitted there was an easy way to exploit the hell out of it. There seems to be something akin to the Division Championships available, and like them is equally screwed.
Old 14 August 12, 12:38   #41
Jiminee

SR is not a convoluted formula, it is simply number of incidents per number of corners - very simple. It has nothing to do with lap times or speed. The only thing that changes is the number of corners taken into consideration as your license level increases, the higher the license the more corners considered.
If you see someone have a larger than expected jump in SR then they probably passed a whole number threshold - either going up or coming down a whole number gains a 0.4 bonus to prevent you going back and forth repeatedly between license levels in a short amount of time.

iRating, ttRating and safety rating are not linked in anyway in their calculation. The only effect is that a higher iRating will get you in a higher split that has potentially better drivers who may race cleaner, but that is never guaranteed.
Jiminee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 12, 13:10   #42
darock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminee View Post
SR is not a convoluted formula, it is simply number of incidents per number of corners - very simple.
It isn't a complicated formula, but there is just a bit more to it than the formula. iRacing keeps a record of your history and does the SR computation based on a certain amount of your recent performance. The idea is that SR is an indicator of your most recent history, not all of your history. It's a simple formula, but is computed against more than that event. It applies to more than the event where you're seeing your new SR. The result you see is for far more than that race.

Quote:
If you see someone have a larger than expected jump in SR then they probably passed a whole number threshold - either going up or coming down a whole number gains a 0.4 bonus to prevent you going back and forth repeatedly between license levels in a short amount of time.
Since SR is recomputed over far more laps than you've just run, unexpected jumps (or drops) in the SR you see is more often a result of the recent event displacing an equal amount of corners out of your recent history. If the count of INCs lost by displacement of the number of corners just run differs from the count of INCs just displaced, the SR won't be what you expect to get from your performance just now.

If your INC counts vary a lot from official session to official session, you really won't have a hope of understanding your SR award. It's really unclear how far back iRacing goes to get the counts they use, and you'd have to be keeping records yourself to be able to do the same figuring they do.

Bottom line on SR is that it's not worth worrying about the immediate number. Worry about racing smart and work on your driving and you'll be OK.
Old 14 August 12, 20:43   #43
AllanGP
Donated

I think it is your running average over 2000 corners or a figure around that number, roughly 8 racces or so.

If you have a good race and it displaces the results from a bad race you get a bigger jump up than if you just had and average race displacing an average race, etc.
Old 15 August 12, 08:01   #44
David H

I managed four races last night, in the MX5 Cup, really pleased it's back at Lime Rock this week, prefer that track over the one with the slow and sharp corners.

Anyway, two great races, very clean, finished fifth and six think it was others, gggrrr, one, guy in front of me on the grid made no attempt to start, so left me nowhere to go, got hit by another car while avoiding him, and I was in the pits and a lap down within 90 seconds, so annoying, but it's OK as he typed "Ooops, lol". Other race just taken out but someone coming back on track, straight across the whole track not once but twice.

Point of my post is that it's a real mixed bag in the MX5 Cup, either seems to be one extreme or the other.

After a week of nurturing my SR and iRating they've been heavily crucified in the last 72 hours, but hey I've had some great fun along the way ... and importantly can't wait to race again tonight.
Old 15 August 12, 09:40   #45
Chronus

Quote:
After a week of nurturing my SR and iRating they've been heavily crucified in the last 72 hours, but hey I've had some great fun along the way ... and importantly can't wait to race again tonight.

It is safe to say that everyone goes through highs and lows.

Important thing, in my experience, was to figure out what caused the loss of SR and iRatings:
- my own fault, my own mistakes?
- incidents caused by others?

For each, a different plan of action.

And always try to enjoy to the max.
Chronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 12, 21:52   #46
darock

Quote:
Some series can be murder. Good thing about iRacing is they have a lot more than one series.
Old 15 August 12, 23:30   #47
Book72

Hi I'm John and I've been iRacing for 3 weeks. (Big thanks to Caddy!)

After settling down and getting to grips with the SR, I'm enjoying it. I'm protective of my SR only to the extent of not going full crazy if someone wants to pass me (apart from the leader) nor doing anything too silly. And have had some great races and dices. Fair enough have also had some truely stoopid acts (also a victim of the green light race start stall) and a massive 12 car pileup on an oval.

But have worked on getting my SR above R3.0 so I can graduate and also do some of the other series where the racing is much better and the silliness much much less. But then I go back to the MX5 for some fun (and hope for a decent split.)
Book72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 12, 09:05   #48
AllanGP
Donated

John get your SR above 4 and you will graduate right away.

Glad you are enjoying it and welcome.
Old 16 August 12, 09:42   #49
David H

That's what I did to get my D Licence last week, looking at the series/cars/tracks, I can't see me really wanting to race in anything above a C Licence in the very near future so will try and grab my C Licence by the end of the month, then SR isn't such a worry.

The MX5 & Lime Rock is a lovely combination of car and track, hard to tear myself away from it!
Old 16 August 12, 13:18   #50
porph
Donated

Quote:
That's what I did to get my D Licence last week, looking at the series/cars/tracks, I can't see me really wanting to race in anything above a C Licence in the very near future so will try and grab my C Licence by the end of the month, then SR isn't such a worry.

The MX5 & Lime Rock is a lovely combination of car and track, hard to tear myself away from it!
Agreed! What's your full name/racing name by the way? I'm Jack Whorton, look out for me and say hello, I'm sure we must have raced in the same races.