NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Old 22 October 13, 21:35   #1
barry

Default M.S Sidewinder FF Wheel USB V1.0

Hi all. Whilst rooting about in my loft i found an old Sidewinder Force Feedback USB V1.0 steering wheel and pedals. I've never been able to get this wheel to work with Vista or Win 7. I'm using Windows 8.0 x64bit now and thought i'd give it a go. I switched off the system, plugged the wheel in and booted up. Lo and behold Win 8 installed a Sidewinder driver

Checking the Control Panel i find the wheel, pedals, and buttons all operate. I've been mucking about with the Euro Truck Simulator 2 game for a while now with my Logitech DFP, and honestly, this Sidewinder works flawlessly. Even the FF works The wheel also works with F1 99-02. I haven't used GTR2 yet but i cannot see it not working.

Admittedly there is no provision to adjust FF strength in the Control Panel, or an icon on the taskbar, but the games have strength adjusters anyway.

For an old wheel it still does a good job - and it works with Windows 8.0. Good enough for a backup

Regards
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 13, 12:04   #2
redi
Superator

Location: On a thin crust covering a huge ball of hot molten stone whizzing through space

Nice! Would be good to check whether there's a big performance (FPS) difference in games when using the wheel compared to using a keyboard, for example. A long time ago when I switched from this wheel to a G25, frame rates shot up by some 50% or so, showing that the driver was really bad (this was Win XP though).
redi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 13, 12:37   #3
brrupsz

Drop in an old Sidewinder wheel profiler (driver) in win98 or 95 compatibility mode (don't remember which one). This old program works fine except the last tab AFAIR. But important settings like strength, spring and un/combined pedals are there and working.

Never noticed FPS drop with this wheel. In fact the FFB is really fast, really good and the wheel itself rarely breaks.
brrupsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 13, 12:48   #4
MickeyMouse

The rubber on the grips fell apart pretty quickly for me. All of the buttons but two also completely failed. The wheel diameter was also a bit too small.
I've had my DFGT for about 5 years now and I've only had to clean the pedal pots once, otherwise it's like brand new.
MickeyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 13, 14:56   #5
barry

Hi. Using Euro Truck i get a framerate of approx 25-30, the DFP gives me 50-60 so yes, a framerate drop of 50%. F1 99-02 shows no difference so i'm guessing the Euro truck Sim being a newer title requires a lot more power. Also the M.S wheel has USB V1.0 circuitry and no optimized driver.

As i'm using x64bit, there are no drivers available that i could set to run in compatibility mode. It's a shame as it's solidly constructed, doesn't feel flimsy, and i.m.o has a really decent FF.

Regards
Old 24 October 13, 08:49   #6
barry

Just a small update. The wheel works perfect with XP+sp3 (32bit). The official drivers CD V4.0 i installed did say that it detected i was running Win2K, but nevertheless the drivers did install ok.

Regards