NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > iRacing

Unread 1 January 17, 11:11   #1
AllanGP

Default Porsche coming to iRacing - The Real One!!

AllanGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 January 17, 20:18   #2
BrunoB

Yawn - wake me up if they get their stuff together and simulate the Porsche 917.

And change the code so more than 5 different cars can participate in a race.
Because as it is now you have to exclude 1 car if you want 1 new car into a multicar schedule.
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 January 17, 00:19   #3
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

lol

Another Porsche, how interesting hehehe

But for mine that 1 Porsche is worth all the AC ones......... I mean literally, all the 917's p

There was 2 rips I know of then that payware one then AC do it ? heavens lol

Then why is it modern times sims are even more complex to maintain

Old days was fine modders never gave much thought to mods not integrated with theirs ergo thousands of overwrites which was okay you made another folder.

Today no overwrites no .............just a never ending list of edits to do !

No wonder so many go iRacing !@! Turn the key and drive !
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 January 17, 10:45   #4
BrunoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
No wonder so many go iRacing !@! Turn the key and drive !
Yeah except for the catastrophic build about 1 year ago (2016s1) updates and buy/downloads of new tracks and cars are just working pretty perfect.
Its only the fundamental TM that sucks.
Unread 3 January 17, 09:02   #5
AllanGP

Agreed TM needs work (now 18 months overdue) but the video shows they will also bring a current LMP1 that is the most interesting thing for me.
Unread 3 January 17, 20:07   #6
brabham67

I think it's great that they are getting the real deal. Just not enough to bring me back though. My email account got peppered this holiday season with renewal deals, but I just don't have the time and motivation to get back into it right now. I might bite later in the year depending on how the core sim improvements come along, though.
brabham67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 January 17, 18:58   #7
AllanGP

Car being released today!
Unread 27 January 17, 20:05   #8
RICKYBOOBY

Posted at iRacing by Elliot Skeer;

Hi everyone, I thought I’d do a FAQ about this car since I have a feeling there will be a lot of questions after experiencing a realistic Porsche Cup car. A little about me, I am a pretty active iRacer and use it to prep for upcoming races. I am the 2015 Porsche Carrera Cup USA champ and American Scholarship Driver, as well as a Finalist in Porsche’s Junior Factory shootout. iRacing is absolutely my favorite sim and a 991 Cup is absolutely my favorite racecar. Feel free to ask more questions below than the ones I’ve pre-answered.

Wait so this is a GT3?

Yes and No. The car is modelled after Porsche’s 911 GT3, but it is not a GT3 spec racecar. This will not compete against the Mercedes/Audi/McLaren/BMW’s. This car is designed to be in a spec one-make series. It does not have TC/ABS like the GT3 spec racecars. Those cars were designed with gentlemen racers in mind, this car was not. It is difficult to drive!

What’s that robotic sound when I shift a gear? I don't hear it in any other car.

That’s the paddle shift mechanism that was introduced with the 991.1. In short it’s just an air compressor charging up.

Here is the technical answer:

The paddle shift system is used by the driver to change gears and to protect the drivetrain against incorrect handling. Shift paddles on the steering wheel, pass electrical signals to the Bosch engine control unit when they are actuated. The shift request is evaluated in the Bosch ECU and transferred to the APS control unit. The compressor integrated in the APS unit generates compressed air and stores it in the unit's pressure reservoir. When the shift request from the paddle is transferred to the valve block by the controller, the gear shift cylinder engages the required gears. The system pressure is between 6 and 6.7bar ( 87.0 –97.2psi). If system pressure falls below 6 bar ( 87.0psi), the compressor is switched on automatically.
Technically speaking, all the GT3 cars have this system (it’s the exact same as the audi system). It’s just really damn loud in the Porsche due to it being right next to your head, I made the mistake of driving this car without a helmet and my ears hated me!
Woah I hit the brakes and red lights came on the dash! What are those for?
Lockup lights, they will come on when the car notices a certain percentage between the wheel speed and the GPS speed. The top left lights mean you're locking a LF, Top right for RF. The bottom lights on the display will signal rear lockup in the exact same way.
Wow I must be locking up a LOT, there is no way these cars are this sensitive on the brakes, right?
These cars are not designed to be easy to drive, therefore it will take time to learn how to maximize the brakes. IT took me until the last round of the season to become 100% confident with the brakes and to properly use them every time.
The best trick I use with them is, if you're not locking (or on the verge of) the rear tires in the initial brake hit, you will lock the fronts at apex. Don’t be afraid to be on the very limits of the brakes, Porsche designed these cars to find and groom their talent. Don’t expect to master the brakes in the first week.

I don't have that much overall grip and I keep snap oversteering, what should I do?

These cars have significantly less aero grip than a GT3 spec car. They should feel on edge in a corner above 3rd gear. Don’t be afraid to slide it a little, but don’t press it too far as there is not much room to recover! It’s a fine line to dance!
Once your braking is done, focus on rolling as much speed to the apex as possible. Literally let the car coast and keep as much weight on the front axle as possible. As soon as you are at apex get back to throttle hard! This car does not like maintenance throttle, as it will take weight and grip off the front tires, causing you to insert more steering angle (bad), and ultimately snap the car into a slide when you get back to the throttle (more bad).
Treat it more as a V8 Supercar than a GT3 spec car.

Wow, I was behind someone and I lost a lot of front grip but didn't gain much in the draft, is that normal?

Yep, especially with the 991.2. This is a slippy car through the air, don't expect to blow by someone in the draft, you’ll have to earn it in the brake zone. Also this car does produce a bit of downforce from high 4th gear up, so expect a little aero understeer when following close behind!

Lastly, does this feel realistic?

I’ve done a couple laps at each track I’ve raced them at, with the setup directly off the real racecar. And my answer to that is…. Holy Fuching Sh!t Oh My God YES! Every tendency that I’ve picked up to drive this car properly works exactly as is on here. Little quirks that happen at Watkins or Sebring happen the exact same way. I’m in absolute love with this car.
Top job iRacing, this is next level!
RICKYBOOBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 January 17, 23:39   #9
AllanGP

Further staff posts have confirmed this is due to the car being on the latest iteration of the compound modelling which the vehicle engineers can develop but the base code for the tyre is still being handled (and developed further) by Dave. Compound modelling changes will (eventually) be rolled out to all cars.

It means I'm going to have to buy it to try it
Unread 28 January 17, 00:06   #10
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
.................... focus on rolling as much speed to the apex as possible. Literally let the car coast and keep as much weight on the front axle as possible. As soon as you are at apex get back to throttle hard!
If you remove the word Literally sounds like my instructions to F3-Rookies for Parabolica in rFactor2 F3 Eve.

lol

------

Nice write up and confirms for me what I said .....
Quote:
But for mine that 1 Porsche is worth all the AC ones......... I mean literally, all the 917's
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 January 17, 21:38   #11
Book72

I'm not liking all this Porsche talk. Might have to buy it to replace running around in the skip for credits.

Personally, I hate watching the Cup cars live as they are WAY too grippy and processional (downunder) while being only a couple of seconds off the Aust Supercars laptimes. But it seems like it's a good drive!
Book72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 February 17, 18:36   #12
pistonbroke

Seems people like the way this Porsche drives, not having the "autospin" of the Rufs and being slideable. I find the Rufs pretty manageable but there are situations where they just go and leave you scratching your head.

Interesting comments from Elliot Skeer saying that the numbers in relation to the car itself are pretty close to reality, but you wouldn't want to drive it with them dead on.

He also points out that the tyre model is a different matter. That there are so many variables going on in a tyre that there's no way it can be simulated accurately in a sim. The best being something that feels right. That makes perfect sense to me. And I think makes it all the more obvious that trying to do a physical model in realtime is the hard way of doing things. Better to use something more theoretical that, although based on physical principles, is a simplification that's understandable and tweakable for good results - as opposed to a physical model that's a simplification anyway but can't be easily understood/tweaked. The tyres are, for instance still overheating. And in a big slide you catch it, but get the feeling that as the car slows down, you're losing grip through overheating faster than you're regaining it, and wonder if it'll ever end or be safe to make an input without the madness beginning all over again.

I'm a little confused about this idea of tyre construction being changed rather than the model itself for the Porsche. I'd thought that the physical, tyre parameters were, in effect, an input for the NTM. Maybe they input an aircraft tyre or something into the NTM and it produces better results.
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 February 17, 14:04   #13
BrunoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
I'd thought that the physical, tyre parameters were, in effect, an input for the NTM.
Yeah. And everybody with some common sense think likewise.

The reason iRacings thin and vague "explanation" of the changes behind the Porsches behaviour point to anything else than the tire model is probably because nobody have been able to change this monstrosity in any way the latest 1-2 years.
(TM6 launch mid 2015 + minor rev sep 2015)

Inside the iRacing congregation some take this as a major proof that in a short while (soon ) there will be a launch of the perfect TM - while others allready have concluded that King Daves socalled theoretical TM have been a complete disaster.
A great flop so to say.