I just spotted this at the R&T website today;

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...mbup::thumbup:
Jack Straw II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 April 17, 02:03   #2
DurgeDriven

For me personally......

1989 Indianapolis 500

Quote:
Hailed as the first step of differentiating racing games from the arcade realm and into racing simulation
1998 Grand Prix Legends
Quote:
Considered to be one of the most realistic racing games ever released

2003 Nascar 2003 Season
Quote:
Considered at the time to be the benchmark of Motorsport simulation excellence, particularly with respect to the tire model.
2005 GTR ( actually 2007 downunder )

Quote:
As a racing simulator, it attempts to recreate real-world physics as accurately as possible, rather than exaggerating speed and handling abilities for the sake of easier game play
2013 rFactor 2
Quote:
first consumer simulation featuring a thermomechanical physically-based tire model, based on first principles, simulating the entire carcass, thread and contact patch, with proper heat transfer, accurate tire wear and flat-spots and also visual deformation.
It's also the first to feature truly dynamic track conditions

20xx ???
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 April 17, 12:09   #3
HansKindler
Uploader

First racing game i ever played, Formula 1 Simulator. Great fun on a 8 bit Commodore +4.
Nearly 30 years ago. Those where the days.

http://www.nogripracing.com/gallery/...p?photo=181330
HansKindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 April 17, 17:31   #4
skiffle

DurgeDriven, you seem to have rather manipulated what was said in that video by adding in a lot of other claims which they did not make.

I'd also contest whether rFactor 2 really was the first "first consumer simulation featuring a thermomechanical physically-based tire model". I am fairly sure that there were quite a few other games that got there first - for example, I am pretty sure that LFS had such a tyre model before rFactor 2 did.
skiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 April 17, 00:20   #5
Eurostc

Nascar1 and SCGT the first and best for me (GPL was great but I could never drive it )
Eurostc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 April 17, 01:18   #6
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffle View Post
DurgeDriven, you seem to have rather manipulated what was said in that video by adding in a lot of other claims which they did not make.

I'd also contest whether rFactor 2 really was the first "first consumer simulation featuring a thermomechanical physically-based tire model". I am fairly sure that there were quite a few other games that got there first - for example, I am pretty sure that LFS had such a tyre model before rFactor 2 did.

Why do you think I need to direct my comments to the video

Okay, good video lol lets get that out of the way

It was a personal opinion from perspective of a casual hardcore racer that prefers physics over looks and the quotes where pasted from Wiki,
made by users whom I agree on every point is all

I could have added heaps of sims SCGT and LFS included but for mine they were not so ground breaking.

Anyway they were the big ones for me

As far as LFS tyres goes.........
Quote:
For several weeks it was just research and mathematics on paper, then the implementation started. A lot of old programming needed to be removed and refined in order to allow the new model to slot into its place. Next was the early refinement stage, at first seen only by the developers, while the main issues were sorted out. During this period we did not want to make any announcements about what we were working on, because it was possible that the new tyre model would not really work out. That did seem less likely as time went on, as more of the problems with the old tyre model came to the surface. The new LFS tyre model has a good mathematical basis for the way forces are produced from the physical state of the tyre, resulting in improved handling and feel with greater realism.

The difference is called the ISI TMG Tyre Tool, realtime software that can use a super computer to run analysis.

P.S. I was not commenting from a implementation, development or modders perspective, just the sims that were ground breaking to me.
Unread 21 April 17, 01:20   #7
rcbill28

i started on gran turismo. oddly i had seen it while in prison. i had quit riding moto cross and needed something to fill the void. been hooked since. nothing but pc now though.
rcbill28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 April 17, 01:28   #8
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbill28 View Post
i started on gran turismo. oddly i had seen it while in prison. i had quit riding moto cross and needed something to fill the void. been hooked since. nothing but pc now though.
You get consoles in stir 5 star bronx

Personally I could never stomach old consoles, too blocky for me lol

by the time GPL demo came out I already had a Viewsonic 2048x1536

Miss them CRTs packed with pixel goodness lol
Unread 21 April 17, 01:53   #9
rcbill28

yeah it was strange! thank god for it though. it was considered a credit to get playstation time! it was rehab so maybe that's why it was there. sharing and all. i was scared of pc at first so I'm late in this. first pc was 2004.
rcbill28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 April 17, 18:07   #10
skiffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
Why do you think I need to direct my comments to the video
You presented your quote as if it were directly taken from that video, which was why I was complaining about your post - I felt it was a dishonest representation of what that video said. If you're copying and pasting quotes from elsewhere, then you should acknowledge it as such.

Asides from that, you do realise that the Wikipedia article about rFactor 2 is written by a known paid troll? You probably like reciting it because it says what you want to hear, but the guy behind that article spends a lot of time copying and pasting the same statement whilst quite clearly having no understanding what phrases such as "thermomechanical physically-based tire model" actually represent.
skiffle is offline   Reply With Quote