NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > Modding > Track Conversion / Creation Help

Unread 9 May 17, 19:17   #1
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Default Some answers to track questions

To Wee Scot:

Quote:
After reading through all the threads I could find on rFactor-to-GTR2 track conversions, I'm back to leaning toward buying Evo. Conversions sound like a lot of work, and time I'd rather spend simracing! I'd rather be able to enjoy the tracks I create in my favorite sims (GTR2/P&G) with my favorite mods, even if the terrain I build isn't as beautifully blended as it could be using Pro for rFactor. After all, I'm not even sure I WANT to spend that much time on the terrain.
There are many more differences, and you are indeed better off getting Evo for GTR2.
The problem with the terrein is not BTB. It is GTL/GTR2 which does not support blending ( lerp-alpha) texture.
However, you can use T12AddT2AddT3. GTL/GTR2 supports that.
So, this is a way around it. But it is quite hard to do, and BTB cannot do it.
Most likely you need 3DSmax for it, to map that channel to a whole terrain.
I have done it, it works, but there are many easier ways to do it.

How it works in GTL/GTR2:
- make a G-motor material, T1 addT2 MultaT3
- UV-map your terrain to one texture;
- that should be a black-n-white texture.
- the black is where T2 (for example: grass) will be shown;
- the white is where T3 (for example: sand) will be shown;
--> now by using greys, you can 'paint your track' fluently, like in rFactor.

Quote:
Buildings/objects: Aren't there already a multitude of X-packs that users have created and shared with the BTB community? There may come a time when I want to get into making my own buildings, but starting out, aren't there enough generic ones already available to meet my needs? Again, I'm more interested in creating tracks with a consistent--if only representative--style, rather than photo-realistic venues!
Yes there are loads of X-packs around. Also, you can change textures for them, for instance chance the commercials, or change the colors. That way YOUR pit box will look different than the one in the X-pack that you used.

Quote:
Another question just popped in to my head: Could I also use a basic track/topography framework I create in Evo, in Pro? Or are the two programs incompatible from the start? If not, I could eventually take the basic work I did (and saved) in Evo, and load it into Pro to then create a visually more appealing version for rFactor!
Any track that you have made in Pro can be loaded into Evo, and vice-versa. Just some features (like the lerp/alpha texture) will not work in Evo. The safety car (I think), must be set differently for rFactor, and such stuff. Else you get a 'rolling start in the pit'... or where you put the safety car.

Quote:
Landscape: I thought BTB gives you the ability to directly import GPS data (latitude/longitude/elevation) to create your landscape. Why is it better to first put that data through Sketchup? When the time comes (hopefully soon!), I'll probably need some step-by-step help with building these "canvases" for my art!
Yes you can do that too, but I never quite found out how. I tried it a few times and it was VERY inaccurate. If you do it using Sketchup, you can make your terrain FULL DETAIL to start, decide where your track is, and then change the amount of polygons so that you have less detail further away from the track. You also get to keep the aerial photographs sp your terrain comes 'ready-textured', sort of.

In fact, I use 3DSmax to do that, and after that I also map the T1addT2addT3... and also to partition it, and make LODS if necessary.

Last edited by Pizzaman; 9 May 17 at 19:40.
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 17, 20:18   #2
erwin greven

Hybrid Geotools 3d route builder is what i use to get the height of a track. It is not perfect but it does a decent job. And you can import it directly into BTB.
erwin greven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 17, 18:13   #3
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Yes you can import KML into BTB, but does it also give you the landscape?

I made modtly fantasy tracks, but importing the landscape as 'terain' would be very handy.
For example to make an update of one of my favourites, Cadwell Park.
Unread 11 May 17, 15:08   #4
Wee Scot

Gentlemen!

Thank you very much for starting this thread to help me (and others) better navigate the world of track building!

I can't wait to start exploring all the objects and textures available in X-packs! Are they all available at bobstrackbuilder.net once I've purchased Evo, or are there other source sites I should be aware of?

Sketchup, Hybrid Geotools 3d (route builder), 3DSmax? Which do you recommend for a novice like me? I've seen Sketchup referenced in many threads and YouTube tutorials.

KML? Keyhole Markup Language. Are you talking here about using data available through Google Earth?

Please walk me through the steps I'll want to take to create "accurate" terrain for tracks using real roads, both in Virginia and on Caribbean islands!

Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience!

Wee Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 17, 16:21   #5
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

I think here is a lot: http://www.racedepartment.com/downlo...ies/xpacks.61/

Also, you can open a track that is in the original game in 3DsimEd, and export the meshes/textures of objects. Then you can re-use them in your own track, as BTB comes with 'X-packer' --> any 3ds file-format mesh can be put in it.

I would NOT advise 3DSmax for beginners. First, it costs A LOT. Then, it is difficult to use due to the almost endless possibilities it has. It is like wanting a rose, and buying a whole forest, and then getting lost finding a rose, ending up making yourself a hemp necktie, and yes you might getr roses on your coffin. Harhar. Really. However, there are courses you can take, and sometimes Max comes at a fair price with the course. If you can afford that and have the time, hell yeah do it!

Sketchup is free and will do most of the stuff you want/need, then get 3DsimEd to convert it to 3DS for your X-pack. You'll also need something like Adobe to paint stuff (make textures).

You cannot make 'real roads' using KML. It is much too coarse. You can import the landscape in Sketchup soooo easy, export to a 3ds mesh, and then set up the road in BTB. Which is better anyway as else BTB will not know where is the road and you get trouble with the AI-route.

I'd start out by making a simple layout, export that to your favourite game, and see how it goes. And then start messing around. I'm not as far as to make 'reallife tracks', and might never be. It takes a LOT of time to get it right, too.
Unread 12 May 17, 17:37   #6
erwin greven

Here is a free version of Sketchup. Version 6.0 ENG
I have added a tutorial which explains how to add a sketchup object into an xpack and export it into rFactor.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sa3yhs...etchUpEN60.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hsa39o...to_rFactor.zip
erwin greven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 17, 21:27   #7
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Good one.

What you have to watch is that Sketchup makes 'double faces'.

That is, if you make a building, you willonly want to see it from the outside.
Sketchup will make you the INSIDE as well. That means, twice the memory.
And it is useless, because you will never view that building from the inside.
And IF you would want that, you can set it to 'show two sided texture' in 3Dsim Ed ofr BTB as well.

You can kill unwanted poly usimg 3DsimEd, to save some MB.
Unread 18 May 17, 11:35   #8
Wee Scot

Thanks, guys!

I'll have to wait until next week to take the plunge into BTB Evo, Sketchup, and 3DSimed. Full days today and tomorrow, and then I'm going to New York City to spend the weekend with my son.
Unread 19 May 17, 23:14   #9
Wee Scot

Well, I COULDN'T WAIT! So even though I won't be able to give them more than a cursory read tonight, I just purchased both BTB Evo and 3DSimED3.

Where do you recommend I put 3DSimEd? Right now, it's in a folder inside my Downloads; that's where I extracted it using 7-Zip.
Unread Yesterday, 03:07   #10
Emery

Put it anywhere other than \Program Files or \Program Files (x86). That way you don't have to fiddle with permissions, etc.

I followed my own advice on the previous computer, but totally forgot with this one, so fiddled with permissions since I was too lazy to move it, LOL. So, do as I say rather than as I do.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 14:56   #11
Wee Scot

Thanks for the advice. I'll follow it for the both of us!