NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > Modding > Track Conversion / Creation Help

Unread 15 April 17, 19:42   #51
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Yes it does, it has certain options that pro has not - and certain options have disappeared.

For instance the paint, you cannot mix textures like in rfactor so the option is not there.
I think you'll get there though.

One problem, you have bridge running over the track. What will happen is that the AI will stop in front of that bridge which will vreate a pile-up. It is because they try to 'take off' - they will always run on the highest possible, available, surface. So this is one thing BTB does not understand.
- So, before you do the AIW file, make dure you have set the bridge to 'non-drivable, non collide'. THEN EXPORT THE TRACK. Save it for future use as 'AIW track' or something.
- make sure you SAVE THE EXPORTED AIW file.
- After that, restore the bridge, and export again - and replace the AIW file with the one that was exported WITHOUT the bridge.

Meanwhile, I discovered 3DSmax will RUN bit not WORK correctly... damn...
I need to fix that else I cannot make any more objects and other stuff. Grrr...!
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 April 17, 23:18   #52
erwin greven

For that "Bridge" problem, i made a tutorial to solve that. In fact it is a tutorial for building the 8-shape track-aiw.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eia351...aped_Track.zip
erwin greven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 April 17, 11:17   #53
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Yup, that is what I did, the AIW -editor. Hiowever just making two AIWs is easier,
for those that do not have the AIW editor. But in the figure-8 track you run ON the bridge and UNDER it, so you'd need it anyway. In this case, cars run only UNDER the bridge.

Looks like you have it covered. You may know more of the editor that I do,
is there any way to 'speed up' the AI on some parts of the track?

You might also know another one: can we have TWO racelines, one for slower and one for faster cars?
Unread 16 April 17, 12:33   #54
erwin greven

Sadly not. I use the Guitarmans CAM/AIW editor purely for numbering the waypoints and knowing where to begin and where to end.
Unread 17 April 17, 13:53   #55
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Hahaha well I found out where is the height, and which ones point to track limits.
Plus how to adjust AIW-lines in case they are wonky, by bezier-lines.

But that is all explained by Guitarman himself in the editor help-files.
It did help me many times when cars were braking like idiots before entering pit,
or when they were waving at some points. Works good, that editor.
Unread 18 April 17, 14:33   #56
gonzaluigiRacer

Any ideas of advert banners for Swiss Circuit?
gonzaluigiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 April 17, 22:12   #57
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Better not ask me, I always find dirty and nutty ones.
Banks should be considered though, chocolate, Alp-milk and such.
Watches, Swissair,

Unread 19 April 17, 01:55   #58
erwin greven

Tissot. There are a lot of advertisements. I have to add them still.
Unread 19 April 17, 09:13   #59
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

I always do them last, after driving the track, and viewing the cams.
Except the ones that are barriers.

They do give a nice 'diversion' in some places that are 'empty'.
If you do a modern track, they can also be 'video-walls'.
I've seen the 'walls' on some tracks have 'moving ads' as well.
Seems like they have some sort of built-in luxaflex thing
so they can have 2 or 3 different commercials.
Unread 19 April 17, 14:33   #60
gonzaluigiRacer

OK. more ideas of advert banners?
Unread 19 April 17, 19:03   #61
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

I think I have so many ideas your PC will run out of MB...it's really easy though:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=swiss...hb-mG4doTc2pM:

Meanwhile, I managed to set my stuff up again on W10.
If you need anything for the track, like a mountain or something, give a yell.
Unread 19 April 17, 21:14   #62
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Talking

Unread 19 April 17, 23:11   #63
erwin greven

Adverts is the last what i have to do. But atm i am not near to that.
First the camera positions.
The aiw for the pitlane has to be figured out. The stalls are not standard positioned.
Unread 22 April 17, 15:42   #64
gonzaluigiRacer

Swiss Circuit is done or not?
Unread 22 April 17, 15:47   #65
erwin greven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaluigiRacer View Post
Swiss Circuit is done or not?
Just read this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwin greven View Post
Adverts is the last what i have to do. But atm i am not near to that.
First the camera positions.
The aiw for the pitlane has to be figured out. The stalls are not standard positioned.
Unread 1 May 17, 00:55   #66
KamikazeSAT

You're doing a great job, thank you for being so committed.
KamikazeSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 17, 03:14   #67
erwin greven

thanks.

Yes i am very commited on this project. Even when this is one of the most difficult tracks i have build yet. And that is because it is for GTR2.
Unread 4 May 17, 21:38   #68
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Looking good, I think you will manage. I can help if needed. For example:
Let me know if you want any scenery items built, I have the stuff running!
Unread 4 May 17, 23:46   #69
Wee Scot

Erwin & Pizzaman, I was just about to invest in BTB Evo myself, so I'm glad I read this thread!

(Please forgive this hijack! I'll try to be brief, and then, if you're willing, I'll start a new thread we can use to continue this discussion!)

I was one of BTB Pro's early users (and fans) in 2007/8, before Brendon even developed his terrain building tools, but "life" crowded out BTB, and almost simracing entirely for me for a while. Now I'm "semi-retired," with more time on my hands, and want to dive into track building again.

I still have two licenses available for BTB Pro, but thought I'd switch to Evo because I don't even use rFactor anymore: 90% of my simracing is GTR2/P&G, and the other 10% is split between GPL, SBK2008, and GP4.

There are several track building projects I'd like to take up, and I'm going to love working on the surrounding terrain, but I want to make them for GTR2 and am wary of all the work of conversion from rFactor.

The news that BTB Evo does not allow blending of textures was disappointing. A couple of the projects I want to do involve backroads near my home in Virginia, and most of those roads do not have clearly differentiated edges and shoulders! If I can't blend textures, those roads are going to look much too perfect!

Then there is also a set of circuits I created in 2007 based on real roads on seven Caribbean islands... http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10968

So I'd like to pick your brains for information about the pluses (if there are any) and minuses of Evo, and about just how much tedious work is involved in converting rFactor tracks to GTR2. If you're willing to help me make this decision--and maybe also help me with my track projects--please respond! If not, no hard feelings, and sorry (again) for the hijack!

Last edited by Wee Scot; 5 May 17 at 00:15.
Wee Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 17, 11:49   #70
erwin greven

First of all: it is the first and also the last track i will build for GTR2. The problem is not BTB, but how SimBin's engine picks up everything... I still have to solve problems while i have the track itself finished. That is why i won't add extra advertisements and so on.
The track is ready. Now i am busy to merge all the track pieces together.

Secondly. When you want to blend textures, you can work around it by creating your own textures in photoshop and blend them there.
Unread 5 May 17, 13:58   #71
Wee Scot

Erwin, thanks for engaging me!

Quote:
First of all: it is the first and also the last track i will build for GTR2. The problem is not BTB, but how SimBin's engine picks up everything...
If it's "SimBin's engine," wouldn't that apply to rFactor as much as to GTR2, or are there problems you've run into that are specific to GTR2? Have you found anything about Evo that you like BETTER than Pro?

Quote:
Secondly. When you want to blend textures, you can work around it by creating your own textures in photoshop and blend them there.
So, could I use photoshop to create road sections that have "messy" edges, then put them into an X-pack? Has someone already done a "country roads" X-pack? I might not need to reinvent that wheel...

Do you have any experience with converting tracks from rFactor to GTR2? If so, just how much work is involved? And is it all just changing file extensions, or is it more complicated than that? Isn't there a simple software tool you can use to change file extensions?
Unread 5 May 17, 18:47   #72
erwin greven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Scot View Post
Erwin, thanks for engaging me!
If it's "SimBin's engine," wouldn't that apply to rFactor as much as to GTR2, or are there problems you've run into that are specific to GTR2? Have you found anything about Evo that you like BETTER than Pro?
Sadly i haven't found anything that i like better in Evo than in Pro. Only more problems. Textures are much more difficult. Because of the bump maps and shaders.

Quote:
So, could I use photoshop to create road sections that have "messy" edges, then put them into an X-pack? Has someone already done a "country roads" X-pack? I might not need to reinvent that wheel...
You can divide the road, when using the cross section, in at least three parts: the road itself and both edges. Creating xpacks is not such a hassle.
But:
  1. the textures have preferably a dds-extention
  2. the textures have to be in powers of 2. (64/128/256/1024)

Quote:
Do you have any experience with converting tracks from rFactor to GTR2? If so, just how much work is involved? And is it all just changing file extensions, or is it more complicated than that? Isn't there a simple software tool you can use to change file extensions?
I never converted tracks from rFactor to GTR2. Having both pro and evo i tried to swap the projects between both programs. But i think it there are some difficulties.. but can't put my finger on it.

One thing is sure: if this track would have been for rFactor, the track would be finished already. But the texture problems force me to redo many times a lot of processes. That is why i never will build another track in Evo.
Unread 5 May 17, 21:50   #73
Wee Scot

Thanks again for your experienced advice! I think I'll stick with Pro, then, not spend more money (on Evo), and either rely on an "expert" to do rFactor-to-GTR2 conversions, or just learn how to do it myself!

Next question: Did Brendon develop Pro to the point where you can complete an attractive circuit without using any other tool (3DSIMED or 3DSMAX, for example)? Or will I have to try to get the help of someone like Pizzaman to "finish" my circuits with nice buildings and other objects?
Unread 6 May 17, 06:01   #74
erwin greven

Pro is build to a point where you can build very attractive circuits. I use 3dsimed for merging tracks.
RSoul made a great tutorial for it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2PIVUwwnE
Unread 6 May 17, 15:36   #75
Wee Scot

You might have seen my conversation with ebrich in the Race Department BTB forum. I didn't realize you were there, too, until yesterday!

The first project I want to do, once I have BTB 1.0.0.1 up and running, is a point-to-point (like a rally stage) stretch of road just a few miles from where I live in Virginia. The nine miles of Joplin Road are well known to all driving enthusiasts in the area.

My first question is: What source should I use for GPS data? And once I have the topography loaded into BTB, will I simply be able to lay down a track surface that will conform to the GPS elevations, or will it be more difficult than that?

EDIT: Sorry, I've already stretched this hijack of what was a productive trackbuilding thread. I'll pick this up again on Race Department.

Last edited by Wee Scot; 6 May 17 at 23:52. Reason: Embarrassment...
Unread 7 May 17, 14:43   #76
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

The problem is not so much BTB evo, but GRT2 a(and GTL) that do not allow the 'blending textures'.
The problem is tyhe 'lerp/alpha', which is how it is done in Rfactor. This is not recognised in GTL/GTR2.

BTB (both pro and Evo) are quite good and can use ALL possibilities of rFactor/GTL/GTR2.

Buildings/objects:
The thing is you will still have to make objects (like houses and stuff) in Sketchup, 3DsimEd or 3DSmax, and then import them into an X-pack to be able to use them. Fortunately the making of an X-pack is quite straightforward.

Landscape:
I found it easiest to grab GPS-data from GoogleEarth, then produce a landscape in Sketchup (modify as needed in either Sketchup, #DsimEd of whatever), and after that import the whole landscape to an X-pack and use it in BTB. You must remember to chop any unwanted poly, and set the nimber of poly while grabbing the landscape and fix it up before piutting it in the X-pack.
Unread 7 May 17, 15:47   #77
Wee Scot

Thanks, Pizzaman.

After reading through all the threads I could find on rFactor-to-GTR2 track conversions, I'm back to leaning toward buying Evo. Conversions sound like a lot of work, and time I'd rather spend simracing! I'd rather be able to enjoy the tracks I create in my favorite sims (GTR2/P&G) with my favorite mods, even if the terrain I build isn't as beautifully blended as it could be using Pro for rFactor. After all, I'm not even sure I WANT to spend that much time on the terrain.

Buildings/objects: Aren't there already a multitude of X-packs that users have created and shared with the BTB community? There may come a time when I want to get into making my own buildings, but starting out, aren't there enough generic ones already available to meet my needs? Again, I'm more interested in creating tracks with a consistent--if only representative--style, rather than photo-realistic venues!

Another question just popped in to my head: Could I also use a basic track/topography framework I create in Evo, in Pro? Or are the two programs incompatible from the start? If not, I could eventually take the basic work I did (and saved) in Evo, and load it into Pro to then create a visually more appealing version for rFactor!

Landscape: I thought BTB gives you the ability to directly import GPS data (latitude/longitude/elevation) to create your landscape. Why is it better to first put that data through Sketchup? When the time comes (hopefully soon!), I'll probably need some step-by-step help with building these "canvases" for my art!
Unread 8 May 17, 13:21   #78
erwin greven

There are a lot of xpacks with buildings for use of hill climbs.
But i think it is much better to start up a new topic.
Unread 8 May 17, 21:43   #79
Wee Scot

Yes, I'll leave Switzerland to you, now! Again, my apologies to both of you (Erwin/Pizzaman) for the hijack!

Unread 18 May 17, 18:19   #80
erwin greven

Update:
The track itself is finished.
Now the painstaking task starts to merge all tracks and terrain.
At the moment i have a few issues with textures. (showing blue textures only)
Unread 19 May 17, 18:21   #81
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Showing blue textures only usually means you used a non-allowed texture,
or sometimes the texture is missing or double-named (and tha first one named has a blue color).
Also, could be you have a non-compliant DDS file (needs to be 'powers of 2' --> 64, 128, 256, 512....) or a texture that has 'transparency' set but does not have an alpha channel.

What also needs to be remembered, some cars use a texture called 'black'.
Best not name textures that way - use a prefix for texture names, like SWISS_BLACK.DDS,
that way they never get confused... (I have seen cars with green undersides... LOL).
Unread 20 May 17, 00:31   #82
erwin greven

it happens with textures of downloaded packs.
Unread 21 May 17, 09:03   #83
gonzaluigiRacer

The swiss track is finished?
Unread 21 May 17, 14:16   #84
Pete Conway

GonzaluigiRacer... if you follow the thread you'll realise what's going on instead of asking "is it done yet?... What about now?, what about now?
I understand that you're waiting to try it but when it's done a Download link will almost certainly appear.
Pete Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 17, 18:44   #85
erwin greven

Thanks Pete.

It will take some time still to finish the track. And with finishing i mean merging all the loose track parts so these parts merge flawlessly.

These parts have to merge.
Unread 24 May 17, 13:41   #86
gonzaluigiRacer

wow! merge parts is cool