NoGripRacing.com
Unread 17 May 17, 00:41   #1
davehenrie

Default Spanish F1, epic?

The Lewis Hamilton/Sebastian Vettel battle is being called great racing. Mercedes boss, Toto Wolf called it Epic. Hamilton said it was the 'rawest fight.'
But I'm not so sure. When Vettel was on softs and Hamilton on the medium tire, Vettel was faster. AT the end of the race, when Hamilton had the softs, he was faster than Vettel who was, by then, on mediums. Only Epic in the sense Ferrari should have better responded to Hamilton's choice of tires.
davehenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 17, 02:01   #2
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Why didn't they pit him during VSC he would have made back the 7-8 seconds he lost....or was he already past pit entry
DurgeDriven is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 17, 14:18   #3
Wee Scot

Not at all Epic...

Paraphrasing Vettel: "Hamilton came by me like a train. There was nothing I could do to stop him."

Really the only suspenseful moments were when Bottas blocked Vettel for a few laps, costing him 4 seconds, and then when Vettel came out of the pits and Hamilton tried to go around him into Turn 1, but got pushed off. Other than that, they were on different tire strategies and racing the clock, not each other.

This "requirement" to use both types of dry tires is SO STUPID, as is DRS. But until they have the balls to get rid of diffusers and other aero bits that make close racing nearly impossible, these artificial "variables" are all they have to generate any excitement.

No, F1 doesn't generate "Epic" racing anymore. For that, you have to watch the North West 200. Now THAT was epic racing!

Of course, I still watch every Grand Prix, sometimes sacrificing my sleep and health to catch them "live"!

Wee Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 17, 21:02   #4
Roger
TT/3

Not Epic.............

I have to say I was engaged in the race - it was obvious that the race would unfold and could go to either driver for quite a while. Even Vettel's chase at the end held some promise (not a lot...).

I enjoy the new F1 more than last years, the cars look harder to handle. DRS is less effective and the tyres more robust, so drivers are looking at moves on track. Where we have seen overtakes they have been earned more so than last year.

Like it

Last edited by Roger; 18 May 17 at 07:50.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 17, 10:52   #5
lesthegringo

Durge, the analysis showed that Mercedes waited until they knew the VSC was going to be stopped that lap, let Vettel past the pit lane entrance and so Hamilton came in while Vettel was still limited. As Hamilton could use the normal pit lane speed, the difference between the on track an in pit speeds was much reduced. The analysis reckoned Hamilton gained about 8 seconds due to Vettel's limited on track speed

Vettel defended well to keep Hamilton at bay, but newer softer tyres won in the end

Definitely more interesting that a lot recently, but I add my name to those that think the aerodynamics are killing the sport

Les
lesthegringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 17, 17:15   #6
Leper Messiah

F1 for the LOVE of god ditch the reliance on extreme aero downforce.....PLEASE!! I want to see drivers struggling with grip and drifting and sliding as they battle.
Leper Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 17, 21:45   #7
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesthegringo View Post
Durge, the analysis showed that Mercedes waited until they knew the VSC was going to be stopped that lap, let Vettel past the pit lane entrance and so Hamilton came in while Vettel was still limited. As Hamilton could use the normal pit lane speed, the difference between the on track an in pit speeds was much reduced. The analysis reckoned Hamilton gained about 8 seconds due to Vettel's limited on track speed

I well understand that mate

What I don't understand is why Ferrari never pitted

They needed new tyres eventually and obviously you are going to save time under the VSC

They blew a race again, that is what I am saying, Ferrari was asleep.

If they both pitted Seb would have been 7-8 seconds ahead which would have been enough to fend off Lewis's charge
Unread 18 May 17, 22:58   #8
kunc

Am I wrong, or could team mates work together with the DRS ... essentially leapfrogging each other down the straits to pick up speed? Seems worth a try if you're behind and can't catch up by yourself. Haven't seen it done, or even mentioned as a possible strategy.

And if they (F1) are going to stick with DRS, maybe do without the 3 lap moratorium at the beginning of the race. Just let 'em at it!
kunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 17, 23:01   #9
MickeyMouse
Premium Member

I think it's too hard to follow close enough for the rest of the lap to make leapfrogging work.
MickeyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 17, 01:34   #10
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Reverse grid every 2nd race

Now that would be EPiC ! lol
Unread 20 May 17, 11:21   #11
Roger
TT/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
I well understand that mate

What I don't understand is why Ferrari never pitted

They needed new tyres eventually and obviously you are going to save time under the VSC

They blew a race again, that is what I am saying, Ferrari was asleep.

If they both pitted Seb would have been 7-8 seconds ahead which would have been enough to fend off Lewis's charge
Yup - with you there, they could have covered off the chance Lewis would pit - they must have worked out he would need to be in soon anyway
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:45   #12
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Yup - with you there, they could have covered off the chance Lewis would pit - they must have worked out he would need to be in soon anyway
Even Seb was confused in the cool down room ( whatever they call it )
he said " how did I lose 7-8 seconds " while looking at the Monitor

I think later when he would have blasted the strategist in private, lol

" How could you not cover him off ! VSC ! "

exactly what you said Roger

Seb is shrewd and makes decisions himself, I think he will kick himself for that one later.

Even if Lewis did not pit ( they were saying it for a while on radio ) Seb would have had second either way, ie: the gap back to third was easy big enough.
Unread Yesterday, 07:07   #13
Pete Conway

Yeah DD, I agree, if Ferrari had have pitted Vettel under that VSC it would have been down to Mercedes to do the chasing... lets not forget that at VSC speeds an F1 car loses some critical temps and LH would have been just a little compromised for a lap too lessening the pain for Seb even further, however, they didn't and Lewis won, but it does prove that Ferrari are right back in the game and Mercedes are forced to make strat calls to win!
Pete Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:09   #14
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

I just hope Ferrari don't go through their parts quota too soon.

Valtteri should have come into pits and done a Lewis said " Why is it always me, why am I the only one has a engine failure " lol

Last edited by DurgeDriven; Yesterday at 10:40. Reason: Valtteri