NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Real Life Motorsport

Unread 9 May 17, 22:07   #51
DucFreak

I didn't really enjoy the race, other than the brave overtaking maneuvers by Zarco in early laps.
All in all, it reminded me of the sad days of 800cc (snooze fest), with big gaps between riders.

The thing that many journalists are not mentioning so far is that this race at Jerez was an anomaly.
When you have tarmac like the one in Jerez, so old (for years in desperate need of resurface) that it's almost like riding in the wet, combined with the crappy Michelins (even worse this year), you get a race like this one was.

So many riders complained so harshly about the french tyres, right after race, that they were strongly advised to keep their mouths shut, "or else..." (at least that's the gossip going around atm).
The majority of riders seem to prefer to go back to last year's tyres, and those weren't all that good to beggin with.

Both factory Yamahas struggled with abnormal lack of tyre grip and feel, especially in the front (clearly visible during the race), same for the Honda of Crutchlow, the Suzuki of Iannone, the Tech3 Yamaha of Folger, the Aprilia of Aleix Espargaro, and the Ducati of Bautista (and probably others).

These are all riders that would not just deny Lorenzo and his Duc of a clear track ahead, they would actually give him a really hard time (if not simply crush him).
So, Lorenzo's podium was a "present" (IMHO). On a regular day, with that Duc, he would be 7th or 8th.

If you notice, the day after the race, there was a test day with all teams participating.
Workarounds with different setups were tested (after the strange race most had) but, most of all, new tyres were brought in and, funny enough, they're similar to the ones of last year (lol).

Last edited by DucFreak; 9 May 17 at 22:41.
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 17, 12:05   #52
Leper Messiah

good points Duc, as an ex bike rider I know that front end is EVERYTHING on a bike.
Leper Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 17, 13:59   #53
Razgriz

I agree DucFreak. It was an awful race, and I felt sorry for the pilots that fell off track. The Michelin tyres have shown serious grip problems that must be fixed.
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 17, 18:26   #54
Leper Messiah

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/39959770bad news about Nicky Hayden Hope he pulls through.
Unread 19 May 17, 01:44   #55
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-1...cident/8540168
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 17, 18:18   #56
Razgriz

Dammit! Sad news indeed. Doesn't matter, he is a fighter, isn't he? Keep fighting Nicky, keep fighting.
Unread 21 May 17, 18:51   #57
Leper Messiah

Oh God effing DAMMIT!!!! I won't say why for spoiler reasons but <bleep> I'm narked off. Good race though (apart from the reason why exactly I'm peeved).
Unread 22 May 17, 04:19   #58
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Just downloaded 3 Motos will sit back tonight, tea 'n bickies ( biscuits)
Unread 22 May 17, 08:08   #59
DucFreak

Good race, with its ups and downs.

For those that haven't seen this weekend's race, here's the resumed version (extended highlights):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS7qhWyH8G0&t=0m1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
Oh God effing DAMMIT!!!! I won't say why for spoiler reasons but <bleep> I'm narked off. Good race though (apart from the reason why exactly I'm peeved).
I hear ya. It was such a shame.

Next round is at Mugello (Italy), 6th June.
It'll be an intense weekend, for sure.

Last edited by DucFreak; 22 May 17 at 08:18.
Unread 22 May 17, 09:15   #60
Razgriz

Quote:
Yep, no spoilers from me either. Such a good race till the very end.

Have you guys seen Moto3? Such a huge crash, and it ruined the weekend for Bulega and other pilots. Also many crashes during the race, and I wonder if it has to do with the tyres pilots have been complaining about.
Unread 22 May 17, 09:21   #61
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

What about Binders near miss, how did he stay on that thing.
Unread 22 May 17, 14:32   #62
Leper Messiah

I still havn't got round to watching the moto 3 and 2 races from Jerez yet let along France!! So much to watch so little time....
Unread 22 May 17, 15:02   #63
Wee Scot

Make SURE you watch the Moto 3 from Jerez. What a finish!

The Moto 2 race at Jerez was also a "milestone" win, though not nearly as exciting.
Wee Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 17, 16:42   #64
Nordschleife

https://www.motorsport.com/wsbk/news/hayden-909249/
Sad news about Nicky Hayden.

Rest in peace
Nordschleife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 17, 17:17   #65
Razgriz

Just read the news...

Rest in peace, Nicky Hayden
Unread 4 June 17, 17:14   #66
Leper Messiah

great tributes to Nicky today and great MGP race (havn't watched the others yet)
Unread 4 June 17, 19:45   #67
DucFreak

While not exactly hectic, the MotoGP race at Mugello was a good one.
The Moto2 and Moto3 races were very good!
Unread 9 June 17, 13:49   #68
DucFreak

Exclamation Silly season starts - 2018 riders' market

It seems all of the factory bikes are already taken for next year.
All except one.

. . . Sam Lowes' seat on the Aprilia is in doubt and many are showing their interest . . .

The Aprilia RS-GP may not have achieved a great deal in the opening races, but all riders have noted its progress. Rider mistakes have been pointed as the main reason for the bike not expressing its potential.
For this reason, several of the riders are interested in it for next year.

Alvaro Bautista, who is currently racing on a satellite Ducati GP16 for the Aspar team, is out of contract at the end of 2017 and has been rumoured for the Aprilia seat. He had contributed to the development of the Aprilia bike in 2016 as a factory rider, and would like to return. He may have the chance again.

Cal Crutchlow is also rumoured for the Aprilia seat. He's out of contract at the end of 2017 and considering different options. He's currently racing with a satellite Honda extremely similar to the factory ones of Marquez and Pedrosa (and he won two races last year on it) but he would like to be part of a factory team. Something that he achieved with Ducati in 2014, although that particular adventure didn't pan out.

Andrea Iannone is in crisis with the Suzuki right now, and he is the other option being talked about in the paddock, though it would be difficult to work out.
The idea of an Italian on the Aprilia bike is of course very appealing but "The Maniac" has a two-year contract (untill the end of 2018) binding him to the Japanese manufacturer, so there would need to be a friendly divorce.

We're in the fantasy league phase but past experience has taught us that anything is possible, and there are many riders with performance clauses in their contract.
As the saying goes "where there's smoke, there's fire", so if there's a talk of Iannone leaving Suzuki it may well be that he has a performance clause in his contract.

. . . First Shots Sounded in Satellite Silly Season . . .

Sam Lowes has had a tough start this season, taking a long time to adapt to the demands of riding a MotoGP bike, and changing his style. So, as mentioned, his seat at Aprilia may be up for grabs.
But the real action is among the satellite riders, where only the Monster Tech 3 Yamaha men are already signed up for 2018. Beyond that, Pramac, Aspar, LCR, Marc VDS, and Avintia are all potential landing spots for next year.

Danilo Petrucci is doing what is expected of him at Pramac, though he is not entirely happy with that.
Petrucci is basically acting as test rider for the factory Ducatis at each race, trying parts and set ups the factory men don’t want to. This leaves Petrucci little time to improve his bike set up and riding style, and working towards results. When he can, such as at Mugello, he can perform very well.

Jack Miller is doing enough to keep his seat, though whether he also keeps an HRC contract is a different matter.
Getting Jack Miller’s HRC contract (or something along those lines) would be a bonus for Cal Crutchlow, who (as mentioned before) is also rumoured for the seat at Aprilia.

Alvaro Bautista is almost certain to stay where he is, after a very strong start to the season. But (as mentioned before) he's also rumoured for a return to the Aprilia.

Hector Barbera’s performance is well short of expectations generated by last year, and is trailing teammate Loris Baz in the championship.

The chances of Franco Morbidelli (jumping from Moto2) taking Tito Rabat’s seat in the Marc VDS team seem very high. That would probably leave Rabat either looking for a ride in Moto2 (so, a return to a class he won), or trying to take a seat at Aspar or Avintia.

Scott Redding is the most concerned about his seat, even though he has so far had decent enough results. But talks on staying at Pramac have not even started.

Pecco Bagnaia is the hot ticket at the moment, the Italian youngster (currently in Moto2) is in the crosshairs of Ducati, and especially of Aspar, who he rode for last year.

Sources:
- https://www.gpone.com/en/2017/06/09/...rs-market.html
- http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/251...one-lowes.html
- https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/mot...-summary-2017/

Last edited by DucFreak; 9 June 17 at 17:17.
Unread 11 June 17, 19:22   #69
Leper Messiah

cheers for the info Duc, good race today but some shocking performances, track temp really put the cat amongst the pidgeons.
Unread 12 June 17, 00:06   #70
DucFreak

Quote:
good race today but some shocking performances, track temp really put the cat amongst the pidgeons.
Agreed.
I enjoyed it, but it was indeed fully conditioned by temps (and by the tyres, again).

The most positive aspect with all these odd situations is that, so far, the championship standings are tight amongst the first six positions.
I sense that the second half of the championship will be tense after the summer break.
But there's plenty to go untill then.

Next round is going to be at "the cathedral of speed" - Assen!
Unread 12 June 17, 08:23   #71
Leper Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
Agreed.
I enjoyed it, but it was indeed fully conditioned by temps (and by the tyres, again).

The most positive aspect with all these odd situations is that, so far, the championship standings are tight amongst the first six positions.
I sense that the second half of the championship will be tense after the summer break.
But there's plenty to go untill then.

Next round is going to be at "the cathedral of speed" - Assen!
Musn't forget to say great win too (won't say who yet for others!), but well deserved and looking good for the championship and Iwould love it if he won the whole shebang! But yeah it's really tight and exciting, last year was good with that spate of people winning, but it was done by non championship contenders so it stayed a Marc, Lorenzo or Vale show.....MUCH better this year with more of the top riders in with a shout!
Unread 19 June 17, 09:03   #72
DucFreak

These were made public by the Pramac racing team (Ducati) a few months ago, but are hardly known (very few views).

For those of us into MotoGP (even for those not really into it), I think these videos will be interesting:

There's also a similar tut regarding the throttle and front brake control, by text and photos:

http://photo.gp/2015/04/20/all-in-th...ottle-control/

Then a lap showing body and feet work.

Last edited by DucFreak; 19 June 17 at 09:20.