NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor 2

Unread 2 August 17, 00:09   #1
Emery

Default Paid DLC is officially here

Look in the Steam Store and you'll find the GT3 McLaren is available. Can be purchased singly or as part of a 5-car GT3 pack at a significant discount, where the other 4 cars are said to be coming in September and remain unannounced as yet. Porsche pack strategy on a small scale?

So far, as is becoming a trend with Studio 397 releases, there are a few hiccups, particularly around the new technology being implemented. Several reports that the Steam Store seems to have problems when going through the checkout and the process for the DLC license key being applied to servers didn't work. Studio 397 staff have been providing live support on Discord for these issues and likely has them under control by the time I'm writing.

I've not heard any complaints about the McLaren itself. Still waiting for some videos of driving and reports of fps before I buy. Dom said on Discord that the 2013 GT3 Camaro will need a new bop as the McLaren is definitely faster; not sure if that's a promise of an update or just a statement.

Personally I dislike this trend where Discord has become the de facto news & support path. Twitter & Facebook may get news more quickly than the official forum, too.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 August 17, 03:29   #2
davehenrie

I drove the Camaro online last week and HATED it. Felt all slippery. This Mclaren feels rather calm and planted. I just did a few laps online at Silverstone and was way off the fast guys pace, but I did have some company down at the bottom. No complaints so far about tires, ffb, sound is great, my fps was very stable and inline with other driving sessions I have done recently with other cars and tracks.
Graphics are top notch. I was amusing myself thinking about the old PC sim that David Kammerer first put out, Indy 500. That had small two color blocks and from that I could identify Nigel, Mario, Emmerson, Al Jr etc. Just one decal on cars today have more detail than we could ever imagine back then.
There are two options to buy, just the Mclaren, or a car pack with 4 other GT3 cars that will be released at a later date. Sure hope we get several types and not all Beefy V8's like the Mac. (hint: maybe a V12 Lambo! NSX! Ferrari, ok Merced...) with only 4 cars coming with the first pack, a-lot of GT3 content will still be missing.)
Car does not immediately appear, I had to restart rF2 to get the fast download and find the car. Big thumbs up!
davehenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 August 17, 10:56   #3
H3ll$pawn
getting in the groove

I just checked the steam store, can't find anything related to this DLC?

EDIT: found it trough the web based store.

Last edited by H3ll$pawn; 2 August 17 at 11:11.
H3ll$pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 August 17, 14:26   #4
Emery

Quality Control Problems:
1) Outside mirrors point to weird locations. Adjusting mirror for this car apparently adjusts mirrors for other cars, so you'll have to adjust each time you change cars (adjustment might be DX11 bug?).
2) Cockpit missing textures and/or weird mappings, gaps at doors looking rearward.
3) No rain tires, no windshield wipers. This might be a hint that Studio 397 is giving up on rain?
4) No brake glow.
5) No talent file.

Reported Perceptions:
1) No center rearview mirror or rearview camera. This may be correct to real life rather than a problem.
2) Steering FFB is mushy to some people. (*)

As usual, the ignorant have complained about lack of adjustable gears, etc., not understanding that GT3 cars do not have adjustable gears, etc. Studio 397 have not provided the education for customers to understand the nuances to race classes, to raise awareness.

(*) I've bought the pack today, Aug 3... IMHO anybody who thinks the FFB is mushy hasn't configured their FFB properly. Similarly for anyone who says they can't feel or generate flatspots with this car with ABS turned off.

Last edited by Emery; 5 August 17 at 19:44.
Unread 2 August 17, 14:35   #5
Emery

Anyone want to speculate about the other 4 cars in the GT3 pack?

My guess is:
Audi - new license
Bentley - was already in the works
Corvette - revamped, license exists
Mercedes - revamped from safety car, license exists
Aston Martin - oops, forgot about this possibility... might be more likely than Audi.
BMW - license required
Ferrari - likely can't afford license
Porsche - license required and probably not competitive unless bop fudged

Last edited by Emery; 2 August 17 at 14:58.
Unread 2 August 17, 14:46   #6
Guimengo
Uploader

I'd like to see a comparison of this car across the different games. Corvette is coming, the Mercedes and Nissan are very plausible too. I could see Audi or Bentley, if rumors are right about S397 booting Apex from their testing team after obtaining their (Apex) GT contacts.
Guimengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 August 17, 08:53   #7
Stan111

Guess the cars... this one is really good, very well done S397, going dlc's before fixing bugs is a thing, but selling something without telling what it is... fanboys could really swallow anything... we touched the sky... incredible!
I'll post it on S937 forum, I'm speechless!

Last edited by Stan111; 3 August 17 at 09:09.
Stan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 August 17, 17:38   #8
Guimengo
Uploader

It sounds like it drives pretty much like the Assetto car and similar to the previous GT3 car in iRacing, and the minimum pressure magic settings are still the norm. This pre-selling of the other cars while also offering the individual DLC is not the finest example of good customer practice. Sure, most people have no shot at the McLaren competition but asking them to buy a $4.99 car which is included in a $14.99 pack, but to get the pack with cars which you don't know, your individual purchase will not offer any discount is not cool.

RaceRoom offers pieced discount for content owned. Assetto announced their Porsche car contents for their Porsche DLC pack. rFactor2 is offering incognito material and stimulating repeat purchase of content. I do wish Apex would have the interest and manpower to graphically revamp some of their cars so they're all the same (cockpit experience is the biggest variant), and would put their pack which eventually will feature double the S397 cars, available to people for half the GT3 pack price.
Unread 3 August 17, 20:14   #9
DurgeDriven

Right now it's $16 for rF2 and $18 for cars = extra $2 over normal price

How people can say anything about that is beyond me
DurgeDriven is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 August 17, 22:34   #10
Guimengo
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
Right now it's $16 for rF2 and $18 for cars = extra $2 over normal price

How people can say anything about that is beyond me
1: The McLaren before tax is $4.99
2: The GT3 pack before tax is $14.99
3: The system was setup to generate duplicate purchases for users buying the McLaren and later buying the GT3 pack
4: The GT3 pack is more expensive than R3E and AC download packs with more material
5: Four of the five GT3 cars have not been disclosed
6: The DLC is being announced and released before pre-existing issues, including content released with significant troubles, is patched
7: We lost one free modding group
8: No disclosure on future tracks in which to run these cars, beyond Zandvoort

These are brief points easy to come up with, and it doesn't mean they all reflect my stance, but you asked and you got it, DD . The price of the game is not relevant since most users already own it from the time they paid $84. Newcomers could buy the game at the incredibly tempting price of $15.99 and be put off by the DLC's asking price, the World Fastest Gamer competition, and sorting out what will come in the DLC that costs more than their game on sale.
Unread 4 August 17, 00:46   #11
DurgeDriven

When you put it that way p
Unread 4 August 17, 01:00   #12
Guimengo
Uploader

Here's #9 which I just read elsewhere : Buy the car or pack only to find little to no online activity by the end of the week.
Unread 4 August 17, 01:04   #13
DurgeDriven

you are mean

lol
Unread 4 August 17, 06:27   #14
pistoncup
Uploader

Raceroom ADAC pack is way more $15 ????? 32/33euro . Legends experience car pack is the same and you wouldn't use a 1/3 of them .
online raceroom is no good either. so no difference there.

Last edited by pistoncup; 4 August 17 at 07:19.
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 August 17, 07:58   #15
David Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncup View Post
Raceroom ADAC pack is way more $15 ?????
The ADAC Experience includes 9 tracks. There are no tracks in the rF2 pack.
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 August 17, 17:05   #16
Guimengo
Uploader

The only piece of content I got in R3E was the Group 5 car bundle.
Unread 5 August 17, 11:32   #17
pistoncup
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
The ADAC Experience includes 9 tracks. There are no tracks in the rF2 pack.
I have only used Spa and Nurburgring the rest are padding . I'm sure a few cars come from R07 series . The models are not the most detailed either .

32 euro at 69% .

I'm looking at the the Legends Experience but I only want the IMSA Mustang and a group 5 or two .

I think the BMW M6 GT3 cost me around $8
Mount Panorama was worth the money.
The cars could use some more garage setting options. a diff setting would be good .

just to stay on topic still not interested in RF2 as it still comes across as being a bit dodgy. Paying for un announced cars is a bit much to ask for and surprised they can actually even offer it.

Last edited by pistoncup; 5 August 17 at 12:01.
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 August 17, 19:01   #18
David Wright

Quote:
I have only used Spa and Nurburgring the rest are padding .
32 euro at 69% .
Whether you like the tracks is really irrelevant - these are the tracks the ADAC series runs on.
The fairest comparison with the rF2 GT3 pack is the basic ADAC GT Masters 2015 pack which has seven different GT3 cars and costs £8.92.
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 August 17, 19:44   #19
Emery

Updated the list of quality control problems in post #4.
Unread 6 August 17, 07:51   #20
DurgeDriven

Quote:
just to stay on topic still not interested in RF2 as it still comes across as being a bit dodgy. Paying for un announced cars is a bit much to ask for and surprised they can actually even offer it.
It is the "drive" nothing else for me
You either fall for it hook, line and sinker or you don't

If you do nothing else much matters

I just wish all sims had different DLC

Sick of the site of GT3 mods
Unread 6 August 17, 23:21   #21
Emery

Refund policy per Marcel Offerman: http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...2#post-2545459
Unread 7 August 17, 03:25   #22
Guimengo
Uploader

I'd buy the McLaren, run for 100 minutes for the competition and refund. Then wait for the GT3 pack to be adequately announced to then purchase it. That's the only way to participate in the World's Fastest Gamer challenge and not be double-charged for the car.
Unread 7 August 17, 12:50   #23
syhlif32
Premium Member

While I do not plan on buying any GT3 cars in any game the concept of DLC isn't bad.
No real need to complain about the prices. If you feel they are too high then just do not buy.
Where I live in Brazil the price is less than the price of a burger!
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 August 17, 13:07   #24
Guimengo
Uploader

While it is expensive, I'm not complaining about that. The only fault I see with how they're handling it is the double-purchase issue. With other games there would be plenty of vocal users from "different fandoms" going on about it. And you should not be paying R$45 for a burger! Might as well eat picanha, especially in the south!
Unread 7 August 17, 16:20   #25
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
And you should not be paying R$45 for a burger! Might as well eat picanha, especially in the south!
R$18 for the McLaren if I recall right? But ok we didn't talk about the same package.
No sure about the picanha, I am a gringo so a little fat for me.

But your are right with the strange pricing. Hope they do not get a bad rep with this first DLC.
Can be hard to get ride of a perception later on.
Unread 7 August 17, 16:25   #26
JoeSchmoe

Default love the game, but

More GT3's? creative................
JoeSchmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 August 17, 19:14   #27
Guimengo
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
R$18 for the McLaren if I recall right? But ok we didn't talk about the same package.
No sure about the picanha, I am a gringo so a little fat for me.

But your are right with the strange pricing. Hope they do not get a bad rep with this first DLC.
Can be hard to get ride of a perception later on.
I wasn't talking about the single car price. It was the single car + the pack overlapping issue. US$4.99 (excluding tax) can be cheap, just right, or expensive. It depends on perspective.
Unread 9 August 17, 00:32   #28
Guimengo
Uploader

So now a proper question, how many of you guys bought the car or the pack (or will buy the pack later)?
Unread 9 August 17, 01:07   #29
boxer
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimengo View Post
So now a proper question, how many of you guys bought the car or the pack (or will buy the pack later)?

I bought the pack…

To me the pack is a no-brainer since you save $. Your alternative is to wait for a special… as I did for all of AC DLC’s (minus the Porsche Pack that I paid in full) and PCars…

If you have reservations about the quality of the unknown pack consider that all cars are licensed.. The cars will have to conform to the original manufactures requirements/standards. Because of that I’m sure the quality will be just as good.

The thing I looking forward the most are the laser scanned tracks. Just hope S397 are making good selections...
boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 August 17, 03:56   #30
Guimengo
Uploader

What do you think of the McLaren, having fun with it? About manufacturer requirements, it is way more often than not just a visual check.
Unread 9 August 17, 09:57   #31
marmagas

Well you start by glancing to the leaderboard,you see 1.57 by top alien boys and you think,mmmm i'll do a time 3 secs down from the top guys.
But...no!!!
First cold shower,2.03-4 and whats wrong?
Then either you quit saying the car is all wrong or continue.
You discover that default settings have ABS+TS OFF,you fiddle with these on or medium,and by miracle with a lot of sweat you are somewhere at 2.01-00!!!
Now its the first real challenge,the under 2 min barrier!
Inthis position i am now,trying springs and lowering wing.
I really enjoy this challenge and i think its a nice car to invest some time!
I hear that if you slide a little at corner entry you are faster,dont know,will try today!
marmagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 August 17, 22:56   #32
Guimengo
Uploader

So it looks like the model is the exactly the same as the Assetto DLC. I saw a side-by-side thingy and well... It doesn't look like their press release of "everything done in-house" is true :\.
Unread 10 August 17, 00:45   #33
boxer
Uploader

Quote:
So it looks like the model is the exactly the same as the Assetto DLC. I saw a side-by-side thingy and well... It doesn't look like their press release of "everything done in-house" is true :\.
Where did you see that? You should post the question on S397 to clarify it.
boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 August 17, 01:11   #34
DurgeDriven

I would have thought this goes on

What if all developers use the best model available, we get better quality control and they cut their overheads lol
Unread 10 August 17, 01:29   #35
DurgeDriven

I was being sarcastic p

Sim content is so similar may as well have identical models too lol

I may buy Forza sims don't have a aussie car between them

so far announced:

1951 Holden 50-2106 FX Ute
1973 Holden HQ Monaro GTS 350
1974 Holden Sandman HQ panel van
1977 Holden Torana A9X
1985 HDT VK Commodore Group A
1988 Holden VL Commodore Group A SV
1996 HSV GTSR
2009 Holden HSV W427
2011 HSV GTS
2014 HSV GEN-F GTS
2014 HSV Limited Edition GEN-F GTS Maloo
1967 Ford Falcon XR GT
1972 Chrysler VH Valiant Charger R/T E49
1971 Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase III
1972 Ford Falcon XA GT-HO
1973 Ford XB Falcon GT
2014 Ford FPV Limited Edition Pursuit Ute
2015 Ford Falcon GT F 351
2015 Ford Falcon XR8

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 15 August 17 at 20:33.
Unread 10 August 17, 02:24   #36
Guimengo
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
Where did you see that? You should post the question on S397 to clarify it.
I haven't played any game in 3 weeks and don't feel like being annoyed by senseless fanboys. MarcG and PatchedUpDemon know so little but talk so much. I also don't care enough . But if even I saw the thing, imagine who else may have seen this. I am with Durge, I think the best way would be McLaren providing the CAD to anyone, much like the Ring with their data, and the studios sort it out to map it and trim down the polygons.

In this case I hope it's contracted work from the same group, otherwise there could be a very serious claim from one developer of having another developer releasing official content that was taken without right. I find that hard to be, I'd like to believe it was something ordered to URD and maybe Lo or whoever their 3D artist for this car was, remapped it. But it does not look to be "everything was made in-house."

Last edited by Guimengo; 16 August 17 at 13:43.
Unread 10 August 17, 05:30   #37
DurgeDriven

Quote:
I am with Durge, I think the best way would be McLaren providing the CAD to anyone, much like the Ring with their data, and the studios sort it out to map it and trim down the polygons.

Like I said why do FiA or automobile manufacturers licence anyone , instead have their own company.

They could buy 20 Assetto Corsa with the money they spend on advertising
What topline engineer/modder would not want to work "real in-house"

Take Blancpain, IMSA and their manufactures could cover all their series .....you would never have to download a 3rd party skin again !

They could release "packs" on time for every series round, people would pay big for DLC with every round change spot on, skins drivers transfers yadda
Unread 10 August 17, 05:37   #38
Guimengo
Uploader

No enterprise wants to increase its fixed overhead by expanding into fields outside their expertise, and videogames won't really increase their market share. I don't want to break your heart again, D². If I was a billionaire, I'd do that .
Unread 10 August 17, 06:22   #39
DurgeDriven

Quote:
No enterprise wants to increase its fixed overhead by expanding into fields outside their expertise, and videogames won't really increase their market share. I don't want to break your heart again, D². If I was a billionaire, I'd do that .

No need for billionaire Kunos sold million copies and sold out for 4 million

FiA spend that much on right fronts lol

Codemasters expanded into fields outside their expertise didn't they ? hehehe

If Codemasters was FiA they wouldn't have to make money only break even
If they stuck to proven engine all they need do is release series one after another they would all sell well and more so with a monopoly

With unfettered access to all historical data and cars they would have to be able to make a more authentic product

Marussia cost 10 times Assetto Corsa and would have been a better investment if you ask me
Unread 10 August 17, 12:57   #40
Guimengo
Uploader

I was able to find the side by side again!

Unread 10 August 17, 13:10   #41
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
With unfettered access to all historical data and cars they would have to be able to make a more authentic product
They do not care about authentic products, they care about $.

What does it matter to Porsche or the FIA brand if it's cars and brand is used in a race sim. Absolutely nothing.
But layers found a way to make money on 'protecting' the brand.
Unread 11 August 17, 07:12   #42
DurgeDriven

FiA and associated manufacturers buy out all developers after they rescind all licencing
and hire all staff p

Then licence themselves p and make proper WEC

From same engine, dynamics, quality and models Lemans and GT3 series
Every round releases for driver, cars, helmets ...yadda

Was just a pipe dream sayin' out loud
Unread 12 August 17, 02:35   #43
davehenrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
Like I said why do FiA or automobile manufacturers licence anyone , instead have their own company.

They could buy 20 Assetto Corsa with the money they spend on advertising
What topline engineer/modder would not want to work "real in-house"

Take Blancpain, IMSA and their manufactures could cover all their series .....you would never have to download a 3rd party skin again !

They could release "packs" on time for every series round, people would pay big for DLC with every round change spot on, skins drivers transfers yadda
We tried that back in 2006 with the Grand Am series. The plan was for the team owners to front D3 (Digital Driven Developers)something like a Million $$ and we'd take that and make a stand-alone sim based on rF1. We(I was there not as a bigshot but a mere data collector) went to Daytona to pitch the idea to the owners and they politely sent us home empty-handed. That is where I got to meet John Dagys of Sportscar365 and
Sean Edwards(who coming to America for the first time was amazed at the size of our SUVs) and several users on this site. I still have a t-shirt in the closet. it is Way to small to wear these days. We thought having access to the series via the owners would allow us to get as much "REAL" data as possible, or at least far more than most sims were getting back then.
DougRun is still converting Champcar tracks from another project that was attempted to replace the failed Grand Am project. That was my moment in the sun, now over a Decade past. (Who did I forget Jerry?)((there were about 30 of us there)
Unread 12 August 17, 03:01   #44
Guimengo
Uploader

You must know Dave Ellis and Nick Ovey, then! And the A1 GP inside project to pitch to the series owners.
Unread 13 August 17, 19:02   #45
davehenrie

Yes, and Punko Bob, I was working on the cars for the A1 project. I came up with a method to have two races per event with pitting required and even made separate cars for Mexico's high altitude, lower downforce. I probably couldn't figure out how to even make a simple single race calendar today.