NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor 2

Unread 12 August 17, 02:41   #1
davehenrie

Default rF2 Zandvoort2017 v0.20 released

S397 has released a beta version of Zandvoort for the Worlds Fastest Gamer contest. Early reaction has been very polarized, some folks love it...others have complained about road textures and other graphic failings. Zandvort in GPL was the track that gave me the biggest thrill while driving. You could see and feel the suspension working as you climbed the hill and dipped into the apexes. The modern layout has lost that hillclimbing feel, but covers much of the same layout, just a flatter track surface for safety...
davehenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 August 17, 03:10   #2
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
Zandvort in GPL was the track that gave me the biggest thrill while driving. You could see and feel the suspension working as you climbed the hill and dipped into the apexes. The modern layout has lost that hillclimbing feel, but covers much of the same layout, just a flatter track surface for safety...
I have never liked any ISI/397 modern terrain with Historic F3
The F1 and F2 are not so bad but still feel way more alive on Historic layouts

one day someone will give us what we want Dave
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 August 17, 19:27   #3
syhlif32
Premium Member

I like it!
Sure there are some texture issues but it is a beta .20

By now the biggest grip I got with RF2 are the endless whiners on most forums
Why the h... are people complaining about free content?
Point out what is wrong and move on.
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 August 17, 23:21   #4
Guimengo
Uploader

What have the track artists been doing for so long, to have Zandy be so early in development with placeholder assets and poor performance, I don't know. Until now the communication has given the impression that the track had been worked on for many months ahead of this release when in fact, it's been rushed like this to meet the World's Fastest Gamer schedule. The unclear communications on what to expect and history of unfinished material likely got feathers ruffled.

Last edited by Guimengo; 13 August 17 at 23:33.
Guimengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 August 17, 03:46   #5
Emery

Gui, I had the same feeling when I checked on the history. 15+ months and they bought the mesh. At least there were texture updates for everything else. Something is still screwy...

However I'm glad to have an official Zandvoort despite the flaws.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 August 17, 06:44   #6
Guimengo
Uploader

I have no reason to believe it won't reach completion and look decent, I'm with you on that. I just don't understand these odd situations that existed around this game for so long, freelancers and hobbyists producing better content from absolute scratch in same or lesser time.
Unread 14 August 17, 20:04   #7
Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimengo View Post
I just don't understand these odd situations that existed around this game for so long, freelancers and hobbyists producing better content from absolute scratch in same or lesser time.
Here come my totally baseless speculations:

a) The employees are all actually contractors, then management ran out of cash and needed an infusion to pay contractors to get the work finished (e.g. Hessels & Zandvoort?). The McLaren & forthcoming DLC release will provide that cashflow and we'll see a pickup in finished releases.

b) The employees really do work slowly(*). In which case the situation won't be cured until the employees are replaced or augmented.

c) The management (former & current) is clueless about project management. Former management was certainly lax about documentation standards, so it's possible project management is another weak area. New management is rooted in software development rather than R&D, so I'd be surprised if their project management is as weak. The current rate things are getting released is improving, but it appears quality control has been tossed out the window to expedite the releases.

(*) It's amazing how fast some of the AC modelers can produce work. Daniel Russo's (A3DR's) historic Formula Junior Mitter is a fine example of rapid modeling, where he shows us a completed mesh (less cockpit detail) on Aug 6 and ends with 5 completely painted gorgeous models on Aug 13! Sergio's project goal was to get the car in-game in 2 months and it's happening. I don't think any rF2 car has taken that little time.
Unread 14 August 17, 21:09   #8
Guimengo
Uploader

I was wondering if Zandy was bought from Richard, I hadn't read anything before about he being the one doing this! It wouldn't make sense for just the terrain to be provided by him, but from what he's said in the past, I am surprised so much is being redone. Though the import process into the game is overly complicated versus other current games (according to two other top makers' own words) so maybe it's him also taking the time to import, adjust, and optimize.

Edit: I can only hope the two guys are working on tracks that will be announced and released together, or a huge revamp of existing content so it's all consistent.

Last edited by Guimengo; 14 August 17 at 22:02.
Unread 15 August 17, 01:25   #9
syhlif32
Premium Member

[QUOTEI was wondering if Zandy was bought from Richard, I hadn't read anything before about he being the one doing this! It wouldn't make sense for just the terrain to be provided by him, but from what he's said in the past, I am surprised so much is being redone. Though the import process into the game is overly complicated versus other current games (according to two other top makers' own words) so maybe it's him also taking the time to import, adjust, and optimize.

Edit: I can only hope the two guys are working on tracks that will be announced and released together, or a huge revamp of existing content so it's all consistent.][/QUOTE]

Yes it is Richard Hessels doing the track. He explained on RD that ISI bought the rights to the track back in 2016.
He is working on making all new the textures the current ones are from SRW.

Didn't see any explanation why is is going so slow if the work started in 2016?
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 August 17, 15:36   #10
Emery

Quote:
Edit: I can only hope the two guys are working on tracks that will be announced and released together, or a huge revamp of existing content so it's all consistent.
We know there's one other track for stockcars. It is referenced in the talent file... can't recall the name.

Plus either Studio 397 is going to give up on rain or they've got a major overhaul in the works. Though rain tires have been left off the Radical & McLaren and wipers are missing from the McLaren, we were promised Radical rain tires as a future update, so I'm leaning towards a major overhaul.
Unread 15 August 17, 15:37   #11
Emery

Quote:
I was wondering if Zandy was bought from Richard, I hadn't read anything before about he being the one doing this!
You're getting oldtimers... it was your comments on Race Department last year that clued me in, LOL.
Unread 15 August 17, 16:29   #12
Guimengo
Uploader

Hahahaha. I'm trying to not bother posting elsewhere, here it's less people and we can be more focused. I think the American-based circuits (fictional and not) are not done by tuttle or sln, but instead beta testers and one from James Mabe (Palm Springs was the name?), so I don't think S397 would boot all those guys who were producing for free. Still no update on Sonoma (Bayview I think was the name) from mianiak, and of course I imagine all of us gave up on the 2013 teaser shots of Watkins Glen.
Unread 16 August 17, 00:53   #13
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
We know there's one other track for stockcars. It is referenced in the talent file... can't recall the name.

Plus either Studio 397 is going to give up on rain or they've got a major overhaul in the works. Though rain tires have been left off the Radical & McLaren and wipers are missing from the McLaren, we were promised Radical rain tires as a future update, so I'm leaning towards a major overhaul.
Forget about new cars what about wets for old !

wipers you need to have rain on windscreen lol p

fix drying line being linked to real road rate
This can create massive grip and makes variable real road rate pointless
ie: 0.2x road rate track never dries 2.0x dries too fast ..... etc

canned dynamic wind at least, so rain does not fall static with a stiff breeze blowing

pCars2 puddles only for visuals and grip levels I gather or will they actually cool wets off a drying line ? That would be cool in a sim
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 August 17, 00:47   #14
Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post

Fallston! That's the name of the unreleased track.

So known upcoming content releases: the rest of the GT3 pack in September after WFG, some Tatus models, and Fallston. Marketing-wise, I'd expect Fallston to not be released until October so they can hide content gaps. On the other hand, in order to blend paid DLC with a freebie, Fallston could be released in September, especially if something like a v1.0 of Zandvoort is released in October. DX11 becoming mainstream at end of September or early October.
Unread 25 August 17, 14:07   #15
Guimengo
Uploader

I wonder if Falston is the one being made by jka instead of Mike Schreiner. I hope it's the former, he made that Northside International Raceway.
Unread 25 August 17, 19:29   #16
Emery

I think Schreiner has only been making sure there are stop-gap tracks in place. Pretty certain he doesn't have any new builds, just ports of old models with minor updates & DX11 compatibility.
Unread 26 August 17, 01:30   #17
Guimengo
Uploader

He isn't as concerned about accuracy or matching data as some other guys. JKA also has more experience and care.