NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Unread 25 April 17, 22:01   #1
DucFreak

Default LEAKED - Intel Coffee Lake 6 core and 4 core processors have been sighted

This just in...

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lak...re-cpu-leaked/

It seems that, in response to AMD Ryzen, Intel will be launching the Coffee Lake chips as early as August 2017.
It will launch alongside the Z370 chipset based motherboards, possibly to be followed by the H370 and B360/H310 chipsets at the end of 2017.

This is yet another "refresh" of their 14nm processors.
Coffee Lake will be an updated Kabylake, which is an updated Skylake. (... )

The interesting part in these leaks about the Coffee Lake chips is that Intel will be launching its first 6 core, mainstream and consumer oriented processor.
Leaks suggest this will be an i5 with 6 cores, no hyperthreading, and a 3.5 GHz base clock (no mention of turbo boost clocks yet).

Consider me interested.
Knowing how good Intel chips are for gaming, if this i5 with 6 cores gets a price under 275,00 Euros right at launch, then this will be absolutely phenomenal.
And if it gets a "K" (unlocked) version, who knows, it may well be my next CPU.

Last edited by DucFreak; 25 April 17 at 22:19.
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 April 17, 05:45   #2
pistoncup
Uploader

named after Coffee You forgot to mention the disclaimer - May need a beard and a fixie bike to operate it .
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 April 17, 14:25   #3
MickeyMouse

No reason to get a 6 core for gaming, a faster 4 core would absolutely be the better choice.
MickeyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 April 17, 09:39   #4
PassiveObsessive
Uploader

Funny how it takes AMD releasing stuff to get them to release something new. Were they just sitting on it?
PassiveObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 April 17, 10:20   #5
pistoncup
Uploader

Most likely sitting on the fence, waiting for someone to ask. They wouldn't want you to spend your money on AMD when you can just wait a little longer for our new Intel cpu .
Unread 28 April 17, 03:59   #6
DurgeDriven

I think Ryzen release sucked in Intel owners to buy the 2 dearest chips first, even pushing some i5 owners to get one, then to find most of your games ran virtually the same.

lol

Intel is no better all their crap every Gen is xx amount faster in xx program or resolution
DurgeDriven is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 April 17, 06:20   #7
pistoncup
Uploader

the updates are about as useful as" bold new graphics " for me.
I have an i7 k model so hopefully I won't be looking for a new cpu for a couple of years.
Unread 31 May 17, 02:55   #8
DurgeDriven

I have new W10 issue

Since last 2 updates my Creative Titanium via Soundworks amp in optical is
continually cutting out !

I realize is a old issue but I never ever had this before
Tried everything to solve it

Can't use Realtek, amp only supports 4 speakers in analog besides many report the bug using it onboard chipset as well

Only thing works properly is USB headphones for simming

Go back to W7 with KabyLake is not really a option

Edit:

Tried W7 on old Sata and besides some bugs installing drivers seems okay, audio was 100%
anyways

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 31 May 17 at 06:57.
Unread 12 August 17, 04:41   #9
DucFreak

It's getting closer....

Supposedly, there are some leaks on Intel ‘Coffee Lake’ i7-8700K (3.7 GHz 6 Core) CPU benchmarks.
Also, the rumour now is that, for Intel ‘Coffee Lake’, the i3s are expected to be 4 cores (with or without hyperthreading, depending on model). As to say, become what the i5s and i7s have been.
The i5s and i7s are expected to now be six cores (with and without hyperthreading, respectively).

Check it out: http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-87...nchmarks-leak/
Unread 12 August 17, 07:05   #10
DurgeDriven

I want 'Tea Bag' please

p
Unread 13 August 17, 01:29   #11
DurgeDriven

Intel are off their heads with i5 7640X

barely faster then 7600K and you need a $400AU motherboard to run it lol
Unread 18 August 17, 20:00   #12
syhlif32
Premium Member

Some new 'leaked' info:
http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lak...ce-specs-leak/

Still a lot fort and back on 200 series lpg 1151 support?
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 August 17, 21:08   #13
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
Some new 'leaked' info:
http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lak...ce-specs-leak/

Still a lot fort and back on 200 series lpg 1151 support?
Very interesting.
Yet, I find myself thinking if Intel hasn't been sitting with this tech on their lap for ages, all this time.
Would we ever see it - especially this soon - was it not for the successfull release of AMD Ryzen CPUs? (forcing their hand)

And while it is good to finally realize something noticeably better on a new release of Intel mainstream processors (as it's been little more than continuous fine tuning since Sandy Bridge), it is extremely disappointing to see - yet again on new Intel CPUs launch - that the current and latest motherboards series, which is Z270, will not be supported (Asrock confirmed already that you have to buy a new motherboard for these CPUs).

I'd be livid if I'd just bought one thinking that the platform would be future proofed.
After the X299 (i9, Skylake-X) recent fiasco, Kabylake will go down in the history books as the shortest existing series of desktop processors - being replaced just nine months after release (January 2017).

Last edited by DucFreak; 18 August 17 at 22:00. Reason: ...spelling(?)
Unread 18 August 17, 21:55   #14
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
And while it is good to finally realize something noticeably better on a new release of Intel mainstream processors (as it's been little more than continuous fine tuning since Sandy Bridge), it is extremely disappointing to see - yet again on new Intel CPUs launch - that the current and latest motherboards series, which is Z270, will not be supported (Asrock confirmed already that you have to buy a new motherboard for these CPUs).

+1 Duc

Intel Core i5 7640X sounds like okay deal for single threads till you need a $400AU motherboard and all you get for that is ASRock or basic Gigabyte !
Unread 22 August 17, 11:59   #15
syhlif32
Premium Member

I am a little p.... as I got a replacment MB for one that went bad but they will not replace my cpu. So now got a Z270 MB and thought I would wait on the Coffee Lake cpu.
For me it is a mess using the same socket 1151 but with exceptions to which chipset/ CPU you can use.
Gave up on AMD a longtime ago but might rethink that even with a 10-15% lower performance.
Unread 22 August 17, 13:01   #16
DucFreak

Quote:
I am a little p.... as I got a replacment MB for one that went bad but they will not replace my cpu. So now got a Z270 MB and thought I would wait on the Coffee Lake cpu.
For me it is a mess using the same socket 1151 but with exceptions to which chipset/ CPU you can use.
Gave up on AMD a longtime ago but might rethink that even with a 10-15% lower performance.
Yep, it sucks.

If you already have a Z270 mobo, then just get the 7600K, or the 7700K if you want best for that platform. Both great at stock speeds, even better if overclocked.

I think these may still be the most balanced (if not strongest) processors for gaming, at least for a while. Usually, more cores mean less clocks (you win some, you lose some), so these new CoffeeLake six core 8000K processors will probably need overclocking to match their KabyLake 7000K equivalents with higher clocks.

The only real problem with them is temperatures, especially in the case of the 7700K people got into delidding it (very hot processor, Intel cheap TIM being the cause), to get ~20ÂșC cooler temps.
Unread 22 August 17, 15:29   #17
syhlif32
Premium Member

Intel indicate that the coffee lake cpu's will be a good deal faster special in multicore treads. But also in Single core.
Which makes sense as they can't have been sleeping in the last 5-6 years desperate AMD didn't really put any performance pressure on them.

The i5 6600K I had was a great overclocker so might go that way again. But did see some info that the new i3 which is basically the current i5 might work in Z 270MB?
So will wait until tests comes out in September.
Got a older i5 2500K which do fine with most sims.
Unread 22 August 17, 16:27   #18
DucFreak

CoffeeLake should be great, with improved IPC (clock for clock) over what is already good in current today's i5s/i7s. But the real question is, how much better in pratical terms, and at what price??
Afterall, it is expected to be more expensive (even more) than KabyLake.

Sure, more cores/threads can help (as AMD Ryzen has proven).
For some people gaming is not the highest priority, productivity is. And for those that gaming is important, most recent game titles now start to take into account multicore (to a certain extent), also important for better frametimes.

But then we have to consider the present time and that most games are still dual core biased (and older ones single core biased), so for gaming the 7700K should continue to be a frickin monster, championing the highest framerate for a while still (with 7600K closely behind) probably even after CoffeeLake launch.

Remember, the base clocks are higher in KabyLake, which may balance that rumoured IPC difference.

Quote:
Which makes sense as they (Intel) can't have been sleeping in the last 5-6 years desperate AMD didn't really put any performance pressure on them.
Agreed but, again, how much better in pratical terms and -especially- at what price?
AMD is now firmly in the "king of bang for the buck" position with Ryzen and Threadripper, in practically every CPU category. It's hard to ignore that now, and that may even been accentuated after CoffeLake's launch.

Quote:
The i5 6600K I had was a great overclocker so might go that way again. But did see some info that the new i3 which is basically the current i5 might work in Z 270MB?
So will wait until tests comes out in September.
Got a older i5 2500K which do fine with most sims.
Having a Z270 mobo, if buying new and seriously considering the 6600K, why not go for the 7600K?
It has higher clocks for practically same price, so makes better choice in anyone's book.

Personally?
I'd wait just a little more, for the first month after the launch of CoffeeLake.

Then I'd hunt down an i7 6700K. Its price already went down a little after the craze with i7 7700K overclocking + delidding (people getting 4.8+ Ghz on all cores/threads) and will continue to go down.
The 6700K runs a bit cooler and performance is very identical (10% difference to 7700K?), likewise great for overclocking, making it a really good choice (IMO) for a monster CPU for gaming.
Check ebay, there's plenty used ones already at very tempting prices.

EDIT: just noticed that, as you mention, the new quad core i3s are rumoured to work on Z270 (with bios update, I guess). It's doubtfull that they'll provide any improvements over current quad core i5s/i7s but perhaps the prices will be competitive in comparison(?).
-

Last edited by DucFreak; 22 August 17 at 17:50. Reason: spelling...(?)
Unread 22 August 17, 18:47   #19
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
EDIT: just noticed that, as you mention, the new quad core i3s are rumoured to work on Z270 (with bios update, I guess). It's doubtfull that they'll provide any improvements over current quad core i5s/i7s but perhaps the prices will be competitive in comparison(?).
-
Well the idea is if they really improved the core IPC then a Coffee Lake i3 at same clock as a I5 6600/7600 should/ would run faster. as it is a 4 core cpu but in the end it might come down to how well they OC.
The 6600K I had was a beast! 4.6 Ghz on base voltage and 4.9 ghz stable on air with an older EVO 212.

Guess we just have to wait and see.
Unread 22 August 17, 22:08   #20
DucFreak

Default rumoured prices

FWIW, these are the Intel Coffee Lake prices rumours....

Quote:
Canadian retailer has the upcoming Coffee Lake already listed for backorder.

It appears that all CPUs listed on the leaked slide can already be found at PCCanada. Unfortunately, none of the CPUs are in stock, but an estimated restock date is 16th September.

The listing does not provide any specifications. The only information is the product code and the price:
Quote:
  • INTEL BOXED 8TH GEN INTEL I7-8700K PROCESSOR [BX80684I78700K]: $484.44

• INTEL BOXED 8TH GEN INTEL I7-8700 PROCESSOR [BX80684I78700]: $407.73

• INTEL BOXED 8TH GEN INTEL I5-8600K PROCESSOR [BX80684I58600K]: $338.00

• INTEL BOXED 8TH GEN INTEL I5-8400 PROCESSOR [BX80684I58400]: $237.58

• INTEL BOXED 8TH GEN INTEL I3-8350K PROCESSOR [BX80684I38350K]: $233.41

• INTEL BOXED 8TH GEN INTEL I3-8100 PROCESSOR [BX80684I38100]: $152.51
The following chart is a comparison between Kabylake and Coffeelake pricing in the same store:
Quote:
Intel Kabylake vs Coffeelake Pricing (CAD)

CPU Line ------------------ Intel 7th Gen ------------ Intel 8th Gen
Core i7-x700K ------------ $462.41 ------------------ $484.44
Core i7-x700 -------------- $406.35 ------------------ $407.73
Core i5-x600K ------------- $313.95 ------------------ $338.00
Core i5-x400 --------------- $235.87 ------------------ $237.58
Core i3-x350K -------------- $241.82 ------------------ $233.41
Core i3-x100 ---------------- $149.08 ------------------ $152.51
Source: https://videocardz.com/72147/intel-c...for-back-order