NoGripRacing.com
Unread 31 May 12, 17:43   #1
Haylien400
Uploader

Exclamation BTB Xpacks

Hey everyone,
I have been looking everywhere to download Xpacks. I cant seem to find any for my track, apart from the ones of Bob Track Builders website.
Does anyone know where I can download more Xpacks for my track, Race Department have removed the link to their xpacks.

Thanks.
Haylien400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 12, 18:50   #2
BLeeKii

In the BTB forums @ RD you'll find a link for CreamK media (spelling?) full of most of the old Xpacks which has been put together by a member until RD get the new D/L section working again.....
BLeeKii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 12, 20:10   #3
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

This one
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 June 12, 10:22   #4
Haylien400
Uploader

Thank you guys. There is a lot there!
This will really help my track to look more realistic.
Thanks
Haylien400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 June 12, 21:20   #5
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Textures you can make yourself too, they're not that hard.
DCan make some 'typical' tracks look much more real.

Like US Highway, and such.
Unread 30 March 17, 13:43   #6
gonzaluigiRacer

Textures Janvier and Adsboards xPacks has removed. Nobody reupload the xPacks of Textures Janvier and Adsboards, please?
gonzaluigiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 June 17, 01:36   #7
Caribstu

I gave up looking..... basically. Use Sketch Up 2016 or 2017 to build your own 3D models, you can import some things from 3D warehouse to assist and edit. Then save the files as 3Ds files, use the BobsXpacker application ( in your BTB program folder ) to add your 3Ds models to Xpacker then once all are saved correctly, ( See Piffy55 Channel on youtube for 'importing Xpacker' tutorial remember to go to the Xpacker menu, click edit, and 'Zip to BTB'

Once you've done that everything will now be in the BTB, you just have to click on the expansion packs list to access it.

Took me a while to figure out the process, Youtube was very helpful for that, although you have to make sure you're watching BTB tutorials and NOT RTB tutorials, anyway once you figure out the process it's very easy.... the time consuming thing is just building the models in sketch up.
Caribstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 July 17, 07:00   #8
Caribstu

Advice needed.

Been having a problem with missing textures in xpacks.

I built a lot of architechture, pit buildings, trackside stuff etc in sketch up, saved each material as an individually names item for each 3ds, then imported to xpacks. But once loaded into BTB i'm seeing missing textures or for example logos where bricks should be.

Can't understand it.

I went back through the .skp files to double check all materials had unique names, resaved them as new 3ds, repacked the xpacks in smaller xpacks with fewer items and it's still happening.

One building i've got glass where metal is supposed to be and spectators where cinder blocks should be.

Anyone know what's wrong????

Advice much appreciated.
Unread 31 July 17, 17:23   #9
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Sometimes when you make the names too long, this happens.
There is a way to prevent it by using '3ds max default names'.

I never understood how though...

What I end up doing is:
- make one folder for each object;
- put in that folder the object AND the textures;
- and then just loading the textures one-by-one into the X-pack.

After one object, next....
Unread 1 August 17, 05:51   #10
Caribstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
Sometimes when you make the names too long, this happens
That may be the problem, i've been giving them names such as 'Michelin Grandstand roof 2'

Quote:
What I end up doing is:
- make one folder for each object;
- put in that folder the object AND the textures;
- and then just loading the textures one-by-one into the X-pack .
Will try that. Thanks for the advice
Unread 2 August 17, 05:10   #11
Caribstu

Pizzaman

Looks like that might have solved it. Only redone two models so far but that method has worked with both.

thanks for that.
Unread 2 August 17, 13:33   #12
gonzaluigiRacer

Page not found on cream.galleria.fi. What's happening?
Unread 3 August 17, 21:15   #13
erwin greven

dead link. very simple.
erwin greven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 August 17, 14:10   #14
gonzaluigiRacer

I want an xPack of road paint layers cross sections.
Unread 4 August 17, 18:38   #15
Caribstu

Gonza Racer. You can find xpacks for track surfaces on Race Department

Alternatively create them yourself.

1. Search google for appropriate images,
2. Personalize them in photoshop or corel2017.
3. Save them as a Jpeg or .dds min 300dpi sized at 1024 x 1024

4. Go into Sketchup and download a low kb rubics cube ( you can find one of just 37kb )
5. Add your new textures to the surfaces, that's up to 54 textures
6. Save as a 3ds
7. Pack the Rubics cube and zip to BTB using the xpacker.
8. Import the Rubics cube xpack to your track

Now you can access all 54 surfaces in BTB.
Unread 4 August 17, 21:26   #16
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribstu View Post
Pizzaman

Looks like that might have solved it. Only redone two models so far but that method has worked with both.

thanks for that.
No problem

I would name the textures not 'Michelin Grandstand roof 2' but 'MGRST_roof_02'.
Best not to use "space" in names, the game tends to 'cut' that.

You can also re-use textures. If some objects use the same 'wood' then name that 'MGRST_wood_00', and you can use it on all objects.
The advantage: it only loads that ONE texture, which makes for good FPS.

On format: DDS
Note: never use JPG. Always use DDS, where you can set mip-maps. A JPG is just that image, and the PC needs to calculate how it looks from far away for every distance. If you use DDS with mip-maps, this is not necessary.

On size of textures
Also: Calculate how big a texture need to be. Even if you have (for example) a large add-sign, on the screen it will never be more than your screen resolution. That means, when you race and are crashing into it, the max size will be 1920x1080 (Full HD) or so. So you will never need 4096x4096 unless you have such a big big monitor (and 4K...)https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolut...they-all-mean/

On DDS mipmaps
Generally a texture 1024x1024 will be plenty big enough for even the largest stuff (like a whole mapped building). If you use 4 mip-maps on that, they will be 512x512 / 256x256 / 128x128 / 64x64. The last mip-map will be used on the building when it is most far away. If you want, you can calculate how big (in pixels) your sign/building/thing will be on the highest LOD setting and the lowest. Then you know for sure what size and mip-maps you will need.

How many mipmaps?
Sometimes, you realise/calculate the largest size texture never gets used (because your monitor does not have that many pixels anyway). Or the smallest mipmap never gets used (LOD-out is reached before it is needed) After a while you get a feel for it. You can also 'dummy' it, by replacing a texture with a 'special texture' of same size - it needs to have separate colors for every mipmap, for example Mipmap1=green, mipmap2=red, mipmap3=yellow et cetera. That way, everything shows up in color. If it all stays green, then you know only mip-map1 is used: you need bigger textures. But if it never becomes red, textures are too large and precious GFX memory gets wasted.

Stupid makes sense
Oh, and you do not need to have 'square' textures. You can have 1024x512 or 1024x128, as long as they are 'powers of two'. And if something is just white or grey - no mip maps are used, and you can use a 4x4 sized TGA or even BMP

Textures generally
Sometimes I see people making the least detailed 3D-meshes in order to have more FPS. And then they smack lots of 2048x2048 BMP on it. So, a 100kB mesh with a 2Mb texture on it...

This (below) is an UV-mapped, 290kb Mesh... with ONE 512x512 DDS mip-map. It looks fine when you drive up close, too. Usually I did 256x256 when you could not get very near the car. I could park lots of them around the track and get no stutter. Moderns PCs certainly could take a whole parking lot. We even had an airfield track with a load of planes. A 290kB mesh with a 512x512 texture takes about 0,5MB of GPU memory.

Unread 6 August 17, 04:04   #17
aussiemodteam22

try this link https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x1c5ye3ij3oj3/xpacks
aussiemodteam22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 August 17, 01:24   #18
Caribstu

Great reply, really useful information. Sadly though... think i'm gonna have to start over..... well at least with the imported 3ds. Rebuild them and rename all the materials/textures.

I had already started renaming textures with acronyms. Didn't think about them being used multiple times so theres no shared materials. I'll have to go through all my 3ds and rename everything to cut down on the repeated mats (other than when they're set at a specific sizes)

Have been saving/converting everything to .dds at 1024 x 1024 but haven't been adjusting mip maps. That's something i now need to go away and learn.

Yeah the 'powers of two' caught me out in the earlies but BTB has a warning about that one.

Really appreciate the info. Will be looking for good 'testers' who know what they're doing soon. First track is almost completed. Or was... until i read this, lol.
Unread 8 August 17, 01:27   #19
Caribstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemodteam22 View Post
Nice one. will check them out.

I've been struggling to put realistic spectators into my grandstands but a quick look i think i might find something there, thanks for the link.
Unread 8 August 17, 01:29   #20
Caribstu

Seeing a lot of aussie stuff there which is great, one of my planned builds ( done the track layout already ) is a fictional street circuit in Oz (real town) so i'm sure a lot of that will come in useful.
Unread 8 August 17, 02:26   #21
gwaldock
Premium Member

Thanks for the link! Nice collection but beware of "new textures.zip"; BTB locked up while reopening the only project that I tested it with. I had one hell of a time getting around it...
gwaldock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 August 17, 22:45   #22
Caribstu

Quote:
No problem

I was reading one of your posts about Sketch up creates the inside of the object and uses valuable memory.

Also I can't import .dds to sketch up, has to be Jpeg or PNG.

I've been doing all my 3ds in sketch up, and wanted to try something else to save on polygons but i can't find your post to see what it was you suggested using for building 3ds other than sketch up.

Thanks for the help
Unread 10 August 17, 22:17   #23
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

I use 3DSmax8, managed to get hold of an old DVD.
It's quite complicated so I would not recommend it
unless you like a steep learning curve. Sketchup is much easier.

When you export from Sketchup, for example a building,
it exports the inside and the outside of that building.
You do not need the inside of the building.

You can just use 'double sided texture' and set that in 3DsimEd.
Therefore you can save half the polygons (delete them in 3DsimEd).

The only time you need double sided polygons is for example addsigns.
If you use double texture there, it will show the reverse (mirror image) on the back of the sign.
If you have single polygon and single texture, one side will show texture and the other side will be invisible.

It can also happen with a house, you forgot to set 'double sided texture', and have deleted the OUTSIDE of the house instead of the inside. BTB will not show this, but in the game, your house is see-through (invisible). Then you must flip the polygons with 3DsimEd.

Also, a way to save space is to use 'collision objects'. Instead of making a complicated form a collision object, put a simple box around it and make that collision object. It saves lots of memory, gives better FPS.

3DSmax is very powerfull, it can do al those things and also have automated scripts to remove double poly and such. It can also 'unwrap UV', for example you take a house and 'unfold' it so the whole house is on ONE texture. If yiou have ever painted cars/skins you will know what it is - a 'flattened' skin that gets 'wrapped around' an object. That Chevy-van is also paintable, like the cars in the game. 3DsimEd can do UV-unwrap as well.

Also, I always use TWO textures when objects are part-glass, one (UV-mapped DDS) for solids and one (small size TGA) for windows and other see-through stuff.

When you export the JPG/PNG texture to BTB, you can convert it to DDS and it will still stick in place, even if it was a 244x66 PNG converted to 256x64 DDS, it will be firtted to the same square position so will not look different.
Unread 12 August 17, 20:39   #24
Caribstu

I need time to figure out 3DSimEd. Was struggling with it. BTB is just so much more user friendly as is Sketch up.

I didn't know anything about double sided textures. Ive seen the option in BTBXpacker but assumed that was tied to alpha setting for setting transparency if you wanted a surface to be transparent from both sides.

I clearly still have lots to learn.

Funny you mention signs. I built and imported some overhead billboards which are showing the sign face on both sides. Front and back in reverse. Which doesn't make sense as i created a 'front' surface texture for the sign, and a seperate 'back' texture of 'wood' to prevent the sign being seen in mirror from behind.

I'm going to stick with BTB and Sketch up for now while i learn. I'm a total newbie to this.

I only have the trial version of 3DsimED and it seems like spending the money on that right now will involve a very steep learning curve indeed which i don't have time for. I'm planning on building a few tracks in BTB and getting proficient at that before moving on to 3DsimED.

I'll see what i can find regarding 3Dsmax8. But i've got a feeling i'll need a LOT of time to play about with it and trial and error learning as well. So i suspect they'll have to wait until i have time. for now it's about figuring out the best way to build 3Ds in sketch up without using massive amounts of polyies.

I will be looking for a 'tester' once i've finished my first circuit. PassiveObssessive recommended NeelJ but you obviously know your stuff too so perhaps i can get both of you to test for me ??
Unread 12 August 17, 20:41   #25
Caribstu

One thing which has me worried now though, you mention it can show in BTB but be invisible in the game.... Jeez... i hope i've not wasted the last month. My first track is looking pretty bloody good, i'd hate for half of it to be invisible once i import it to GTR2.
Unread 13 August 17, 11:57   #26
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribstu View Post
One thing which has me worried now though, you mention it can show in BTB but be invisible in the game.... Jeez... i hope i've not wasted the last month. My first track is looking pretty bloody good, i'd hate for half of it to be invisible once i import it to GTR2.
Usually, that only happens when you have deleted the double faces from Sketchup, but did not face them the right way.

BTW I cannot test any tracks, I have only GTL and haven't installed it (yet) on my new machine (Windows 10...). I guess I'll need to buy it again from Steam.

The front/back in those overhead signs is exactly one of those things. You must have two sides - one sign, and one wood. Sketchup ALREADY makes two sides. The thing is to select them and then change the material of the rear to wood. ALso, you should move it ~1mm outward (can both be done in 3DsimEd), else you get a 'shimmering' effect.
Unread 13 August 17, 12:12   #27
gonzaluigiRacer

between pit garage?
Unread 13 August 17, 14:45   #28
Pizzaman
Minifreak & Muscleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaluigiRacer View Post
between pit garage?
I have seen this in pit garages indeed, due to the dividing 'walls' of pit boxes
not being singular - they should be one single square with doublesided texture.
When they are 'doubled up', they 'shimmer'.