NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GTR2

Unread 5 August 17, 22:38   #1
rscaper1070
Premium Member

Default How to install GTR2 Essentials?

I've looked all over Google and YouTube and I can't figure it out. The file structure of the zip file doesn't follow what's described in the pdf. The instructions kind of assume the reader knows what is going on when they don't. If anybody could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.
rscaper1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 August 17, 00:44   #2
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaper1070 View Post
I've looked all over Google and YouTube and I can't figure it out. The file structure of the zip file doesn't follow what's described in the pdf. The instructions kind of assume the reader knows what is going on when they don't. If anybody could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.
Sorry the structure and pdf change all the time

Ignore GTR2 ESSENTIALS TUTORIAL v2.0 and GTR2 ESSENTIALS TUTORIAL v3.0

Follow GTR2 ESSENTIALS BASIC v1.0 pdf ( New for v2.2)
http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=44376

The only edits in Basic are these:

Quote:
2. Rename following to your player name:
MODS\#_02 PLAYER NEW - DEFAULT\UserData\MY NAME\MY NAME.PLR
MODS\#_02 PLAYER NEW - HQ AI v2.0\UserData\MY NAME\MY NAME.PLR
IE:
MODS\#_02 PLAYER NEW - DEFAULT\UserData\Durge Driven\Durge Driven.PLR
MODS\#_02 PLAYER NEW - HQ AI v2.0\UserData\Durge Driven\Durge Driven.PLR

Once you do that you activate the 2 mods ( one at a time obviously ), start GTR2 and set your player up completely, controls, video , etc

Then you copy and paste the complete player folders to the corresponding mods
#_02 PLAYER SAVED - DEFAULT and #_02 PLAYER SAVED - HQ AI v2.0

Like I said at start of pdf it is up to you whether you do the edits or not

You can activate #_02 PLAYER NEW - HQ AI v2.0 and GTR2maps and HQ AI v2.0 mods will work. Of course then you would have MY NAME as your name

Seems pretty straight forward to me

If you can give more info where you stuck

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 6 August 17 at 04:06.
DurgeDriven is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 August 17, 03:42   #3
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Default GTR2 Essentials 101 - Basic

1. Install Fresh GTR2 + Patch v1.1 + GTR2 NOCD + 4GB Patch

If you have any problems doing that let me know

2. Set admin and compatibility modes for GTR2.exe and GTR2config.exe if needed

3. Run GTR2config.exe and set full screen res

DON'T START GTR2 ...........if you have delete the Player folder

4. Delete ALL TALENT files in your GTR2 ........ LEAVE the 3 talent folders

5. Copy Essentials folders into your GTR2 as in screenshot

6. Run JSGME, click on OK

With Basic there are mods you can't use:

#_01 GTR2 STANDALONE - Read GTR2 ESSENTIALS ADVANCED v1.0
#_01 GTR2 STANDALONE FOR TRACK LINKER - Read GTR2 ESSENTIALS TRACK LINKER v1.0
#10 GTR2 HQ CARS ONLY - 10TH ANNIVERSARY v6.0 FOR TRACK LINKER

7. Highlight MODS in order below then click the arrow pointing right

Click on Pics twice to see full size

FOR GTR2 DEFAULT AI ...all mods will work

FOR GTR2 HQ AI ...all mods will work

FOR GTR2 REBORN ...all mods will work

Of course even in that handful of mods there are multi combos you can prefer

Now activate combos of MODS from #13 all the way to #60 and ALL will work !

As I said though all players name would still be MY NAME unless you edit the NEW PLAYER mods first

So after you edit the 2 new player mods activate one at a time and setup your player how you want.

When you finished copy the Player folder to the 2 Saved Player mods

De-activate the new player mods and delete any player folder left behind
Now you have 4 player mods completed

#_02 PLAYER NEW - DEFAULT - GTR2 will have default menu settings, your name and GTRMap plugin will work properly

#_02 PLAYER NEW - HQ AI v2.0 - GTR2 will have default menu settings, your name and GTR2 Map plugin and HQ AI v2.0 will work properly

#_02 PLAYER SAVED - DEFAULT - GTR2 will have saved menu settings, your name and GTR2 Map plugin will work properly

#_02 PLAYER SAVED - HQ AI v2.0 - GTR2 will have saved menu settings, your name and GTR2 Map plugin and HQ AI v2.0 will work properly

Now with player mods complete you can properly swap between 3 types of AI in 5 seconds flat !

Anyways that is about all to running Essentials Basic

Then for Advanced you just needs one #_01 Standalone mod and use the provided folder template for it to work 100% as meant

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 6 August 17 at 04:08.
Unread 12 August 17, 07:04   #4
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaper1070 View Post
Bump

Now you see old instructions above have different MOD version numbers again

As I said before elsewhere, I would very much like someone to do better pdfs .......hint hint
Unread 12 August 17, 12:03   #5
DucFreak

Red face

I hope it doesn't hit a nerve but, this is far too convoluted for the average user (quick example, think of the new guy who just got the game on Steam, who gets here by word of mouth).

I understand that one of the main benefits with JSGME is having choices, and I guess you did try to simplify it as best as possible but, seems to me, what most people are looking for is a "best of" collection of mods for GTR2 vanilla, in a one click install style. This isn't it.
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 August 17, 21:28   #6
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
I hope it doesn't hit a nerve but, this is far too convoluted for the average user (quick example, think of the new guy who just got the game on Steam, who gets here by word of mouth).

I understand that one of the main benefits with JSGME is having choices, and I guess you did try to simplify it as best as possible but, seems to me, what most people are looking for is a "best of" collection of mods for GTR2 vanilla, in a one click install style. This isn't it.
Yeah I don't get that at all ...so GTR233 should have HQ Collection in one big folder so you have no options and have to use his favorite combo ?!

95% of Essentials is click and use and if you don't want full features you need not do a single edit

It is barely a few edits then all combos of 50 mods take seconds to change

It is impossible by definition to make a mistake or lose files

Lastly with so many "misc mods" you would never remember what combo of what mods you manually installed to begin without JSGME !

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 12 August 17 at 21:38.
Unread 12 August 17, 22:03   #7
rcbill28

I for one love it! Super easy to use just click it and try a new combo of mods!
rcbill28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 August 17, 23:05   #8
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Thanks

manual method of installing mods is ingrained in the old school and of course they know better

1. Time how long it takes to select and activate 40 mods

2. Time how long it takes to manually install the same not to mention backing up original files

Now try to remove them all without stuffing your GTR2

Good luck with that .......

hehe
Unread 13 August 17, 00:46   #9
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
Thanks

manual method of installing mods is ingrained in the old school and of course they know better

1. Time how long it takes to select and activate 40 mods

2. Time how long it takes to manually install the same not to mention backing up original files

Now try to remove them all without stuffing your GTR2

Good luck with that .......

hehe
Not sure what's the old school thingy called in for (or the "hehe" clowning), but ok.

I just think JSGME should be used as a mean to use options, at the end of it. The tool to mess with after having a clean comprehensive package filled with pre-selected quality goodies. Yes, that would require some research and decisions to be taken for others on that a priori. That's also what a good compilation is about.

You could easily do a base pack.
For example, create an empty folder where you install everything that is trully the most valued stuff.
The official patch files and DLLs, the NOCD, the skip-intro movies, unlock-tracks, the HQ MODs and all the HD textures you find as a true visual upgrade over the old stuff, the GTR2 UI MOD (in english, widescreen - and patched with the fix) and HQ HUD, and whatever else that has been trully considered to be "a must have" by most that have been around this game.
A ready package, where it would all go into the main game installation.

Seriously, who wants to revert to "vanilla game files" after such mods, especially in this day and age? (....noone?) ...Why would you download such a big package then?
At least to me it looks like the uninstallation of such mods is, therefore, a non-issue to begin with.

And then, for the rest, have the optionals selectable with JSGME, with the instructions.
Like the other optionals for GTR2 UI and HQ HUD (like the languages, original showroom, and 4:3 format) and etc. Along with the physics mods, music, soundpacks, and whatever else that may be secondary or divisive among users (especially anything that may cause mismatch online), etc, etc, etc.

The package would become too big to host on NoGrip then? ...host it on Mediafire or whatever file share hosting service, if needed.

If you're doing this for the old GTR2 user then you're pretty much doing it for naught, as most are likely to have been already compiling mods their own way for themselves alone, for years now.
Again, think of the novice user (or a returning one after long time) who just got GTR2 from Steam (most likely illiterate in these practices and with these files), desperate to refresh the old game but usually impatient - IMHO, that's what you should care about - the potential and oportunity you have with a mod compilation like this one.

Anyways, that's just my two cents.

PS: perhaps what this "JSGME compilation" based mod exposes is that maybe it's about time there is a true group effort, with a community based compilation of mods to renew GTR2, like there have been to revive other old games out there. But then that's another different matter.

Last edited by DucFreak; 13 August 17 at 01:40.
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 August 17, 03:34   #10
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

hey I always value your opinion

Quote:
You could easily do a base pack.
A ready package, where it would all go into the main game installation
True though then you can only pack one selection of each mod are you going to use that for years lol
For instance there are dozens of possible combinations in rain mods alone

JSGME is your base pack with 1,000s of combos, auto backup and restore thrown in

I wish you test "advanced" ( blank template + standalone mod ) then give me opinion took me years to solve all overwrite issues

Old school was in reference to the traditional way of doing things is all...
Extract to a temp , backup files, copy & paste