NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Project CARS

Unread 26 September 17, 00:33   #151
syhlif32
Premium Member

I tried Pcars 2 at a neighbor a couple of days ago. He got nearly the same setup as I do except the monitor.
I did enjoy Pcars1 from time to time but have not had it installed since April and have not missed it.

At first I thought that Pc2 was just more of the same. More like an minor update to #1
But after a couple of hours I started to like it more.
The graphics are good as expected. Weather is pretty spectacular made!

Physics and FFB I didn't like to begin with. But after a while you get used to the FFB and it is actually quite good even on a G27.

Ai is like PC1 very inconsistent some tracks and Mod combination they are pretty good while other got major issues and not just the first corner!

I really want to wait to see if they improve the AI but also excited about trying it is VR.

Think that a lot of the negative comments are from people (like me) that got very disappointed about PC1 and carry that over to PC2.
Should they have fixed PC1? Yes it was a huge disappointment for me they didn't fix FFB and AI.
Which is why I will hold back on purchase #2 until I see an AI patch.
Was it $20 I would buy right away and hope they will fix the issue.
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 October 17, 18:10   #152
syhlif32
Premium Member

Ok I did not wait, bought it Friday.
Have not regretted it at all.
Vr is the best of any race sim game Not sure why but display is much clearer and looks more high res than any of the other sims I have tried.
RF2 is pretty good with VR but PC2 are a level or two up and runs fine on my gtx 970 which is borderline on RF2 in VR.
It also looks and feels good on my monitor.
Been hot lapping mainly in order to try out the cars and tracks and there are a lot.
I like the physics and FFB!
Find on the tracks some of the textures could have been better mainly trees and grass but the rest looks just great.
The Nordschleife is visual the best I have seen. And alone that was worth the price.

Hope PC2 continue to impress me when I start to race MP and AI?
Unread 2 October 17, 20:02   #153
Guimengo
Uploader

I watched Matt Orr's video and it solidifies it as a non-purchase for me. I don't believe SMS will rectify the nagging issues as they seem to still be tweaked from the core built 9 years ago. And the non-trackside replay graphics still don't impress me, the flatness of the textures has always stuck out.
Guimengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 October 17, 20:21   #154
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimengo View Post
I watched Matt Orr's video and it solidifies it as a non-purchase for me. I don't believe SMS will rectify the nagging issues as they seem to still be tweaked from the core built 9 years ago. And the non-trackside replay graphics still don't impress me, the flatness of the textures has always stuck out.
I since had a run of the Historics and what I thought would be a new Spa
but to my disappointment was the same roller coaster

If anything the graphic look worse there, trees in distance look they been taken from a golf sim

Yes the physics do feel better, so ? still don't hold a candle to rF2 in any shape or form
DurgeDriven is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 October 17, 22:14   #155
syhlif32
Premium Member

[QUOTE]If anything the graphic look worse there, trees in distance look they been taken from a golf sim

Yes the physics do feel better, so ? still don't hold a candle to rF2 in any shape or form/QUOTE]

Hey I got two golf simulators (software) and the trees looks better in both than any race sim. Even the one is 8 years old

Can't hold a candle to RF2 I do not agree with. If you said the best cars in RF2 are better than the best cars in PC2 physics wise I would agree but let's not forget that the complete utterly missing consistency in RF2 so on average I think that PC2 holds up pretty good.

No offence Gui, but base opinions on a youtube is ridiculous and a youtube by Empty box is way beyond ridiculous!
But yes the textures in the distance are of too low resolution on some (many) tracks.
Unread 2 October 17, 22:53   #156
DurgeDriven

Maybe it's only in Historics
The physics are like you have 5% latitude

Driving through Burnenville was one handed and no feeling totally devoid of any immersion

They still have immovable objects like hay-bales but silly physics for the posts around track which they put far too many to be historically correct also.

You hit post and they fling up in the air ridiculous same canned movement

every post in rF2 is unique how they spin and fall but in pCars it's just canned baloney

You can drive straight into 10 poles and just run over them, there is no movement no physical just nothing ! Try it

In rF2 posts can lift a wheel off the ground and crash you unceremoniously
Unread 3 October 17, 07:21   #157
Guimengo
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
No offence Gui, but base opinions on a youtube is ridiculous and a youtube by Empty box is way beyond ridiculous!
He's an acquaintance from going on about 13 years who is good at articulating his sentiments without trying to get technical, speaking without knowledge. He proved himself more in touch with the games (car handling, force feedback and other game aspects) than nearly all testers from the games I participated in, and through many discussions over time when he'd ask things about two specific games, we were in agreement over a multitude of areas.

Mind you that my experiences and commentary were validated by the people who matter, and by extension, Matt's more dedicated layman's approach and thoughts have proved extremely on point. That's a summary as to why he's someone whose opinion I can accept as valid without needing first-hand experience with the racing game .
Unread 8 October 17, 14:19   #158
syhlif32
Premium Member

Gui, you are right you can use any means you think are right to form your opinions.
I was just surprised you used Empty Box as you always come across as well informed! And that is not my impression of him. And never will be after his involvement in GSCE/AMS. That smelled of paid opinion

Just saw his youtube and I can tell you lot of the stuff he complains about are in the game he just doesn't know! He could have got that info on the forums had he cared!
Had he said it was to hard to find I would have agreed.

Regarding VR you will not find many that doesn't think that PC2 VR are the best in any Race sim.

The AI are suddenly not what SMS promised but after the first corner they are better than most other race sims.
The tires got issues and I agree the historics cars are rubbish special compared to RF2.
Some cars select the wrong tires in the rain I assume some Ai cars does too?

The flat textures I agree with on some cars and tracks. It can be improved on Ultra settings. Now that is clearly also wrong that it is needed but textures get noticeable better on Ultra settings also the trees in the distance.

Physics and driving are for the most very good.
Try the Mitsubishi EVO iX it got as close to perfect physics and FFB as I have ever felt in a race sim.

My main grip with PC2 are the same as with all newer sims including RF2 they lack something I can't define?
But I get tired of them after 1/2 to one hour of use while I can send 3-4 hours or even more with Gtr2/GTL and special with P&G.
The exception is the historics in RF2. I can spend a lot of time there too!

But honestly people should wait on a proper fix for the AI and tires and maybe a sale before they buy Project Cars 2.
Not sure how beta testers/ SMS could have overlooked those faults?
Unread 8 October 17, 19:49   #159
Guimengo
Uploader

He was not involved with GSCE or AMS. I was never paid for any of the involvement in games and I got dozens of sales for a few different games from my videos and running leagues, though I'm not an internet personality. The thing with Matt is ability to notice, pick-up on things, from car feel to other aspects, and verbalize it. It's not about details, technical ability and verbose.

With pC2 given everything Slightly Mad Studios, a review update should be done come November or December by these media outlets. I'm sure there will have been a couple of patches by then, and no excuse can be used.
Unread 11 October 17, 22:14   #160
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimengo View Post
ability to notice, pick-up on things, from car feel to other aspects, and verbalize it..................
verbalize it ................AC Historic feel like simcade compared to rF2 Historics

and the first thing you pick up with AC Historics is they feel totally devoid
of anything makes them feel somewhat believable in rF2

Quote:
Can't hold a candle to RF2 I do not agree with. If you said the best cars in RF2 are better than the best cars in PC2 physics wise I would agree
Well that is all I have ever imitated

same as rF2 can't hold a candle to the AC models
Unread 16 October 17, 11:35   #161
syhlif32
Premium Member

After the update this week the historics feels better got new tires as far as I understand?
Still not as good as the RF2 historics.
The fps feels more smooth after the update.

Have not tried a lot of other cars so have no idea if the update was a general improvement over all tracks and cars.
Unread 16 October 17, 22:21   #162
ttb57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
Maybe it's only in Historic

They still have immovable objects like hay-bales but silly physics for the posts around track which they put far too many to be historically correct also.

You hit post and they fling up in the air ridiculous same canned movement

every post in rF2 is unique how they spin and fall but in pCars it's just canned baloney

You can drive straight into 10 poles and just run over them, there is no movement no physical just nothing ! Try it

In rF2 posts can lift a wheel off the ground and crash you unceremoniously
I got a post stuck between the front wheel and the body and I swear it was made from polystyrene...and the hay bales, they must have cows with steel teeth....
ttb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 October 17, 01:17   #163
TimmyC

Default Pcars great potential

I love rFactor 1 Historic Gt and the F1 66 beta mod. sixties tracks like riverside great fun. mkiv in pcars is awesome. Force feedbadk best ever. the key is it takes a long time to configure but once you do it feels like the next generation of sim racing. I just kid an ai race at historic spa with ai set to 120 with max aggression. Ithink the ai is every bit as good maybe even better than gtr2 or rfactor both of which I dearly love.
TimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 October 17, 03:10   #164
Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
Force feedbadk best ever. the key is it takes a long time to configure but once you do it feels like the next generation of sim racing.
Sounds exactly like what us oldtimers said about rF2 in 2013. Considering pCARS 2 is using similar technology, it is no surprise.

Quote:
I just kid an ai race at historic spa with ai set to 120 with max aggression. Ithink the ai is every bit as good maybe even better than gtr2 or rfactor both of which I dearly love.
You really need to experience good AI to understand how crappy pCARS 2 AI is. pCARS 2 AI can't merge from the start formation, they cut corners, and are extremely shy about passing the human player such that you have to use max aggression and then they'll just ram you if you're the slightest bit slow rather than taking advantage to gain position and if they do take the position cleanly they just hand it back. The AI will stack up behind you and not race each other. You'll see them riding around the apron in oval racing and randomly weaving across the track.

The AI in AMS and rF2 are far better.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 October 17, 14:32   #165
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
He was not involved with GSCE or AMS
He was very much involved during the crowdfunding and special the voting period.
And that is my last comment about him.

Have no comment to people that are obsessed with the way hayballs fly and not caring about a proper clutch model.
I was completely surprised and dump stuck when I got back to RF2 that it still had no working clutch!

Emery is as usual right that the AI still have a long way to go. Not sure that are quite as bad as he states but each of us have our own experience.
I have been rammed plenty by AI in both RF2 and AMS. And while the Ai in general are good in RF2 I have not very good experiences with AI in AMS. Only using F Vee and vintage F1 in AMS.

Talking down one sim might make you feel better. But it is not gonna make you favorite sim any better!
Unread 17 October 17, 16:13   #166
Guimengo
Uploader

He was not involved in the team. He was not a developer, he was not staff, he wasn't anything. Everything he did was out of his own will, such as crowdfunding and fortunately for him I'd say he didn't have an interest in testing and seeing things from the inside. I was interested in investing more than just the crowdfunding but from what I knew about Renato and how poorly he carried himself especially the months before and during crowdfunding, I became quite reticent of giving any money regardless of what was promised. Regarding his sponsorship from Niels, I have absolutely no doubt it was mostly driven by his positive words before even considering his increased channel following.

I don't have a favorite "technical aspects" sim. My favorite racing titles are GPL and NR 2003. GPL because it's an interesting package and has great community updates, so it's still appealing to play and immersive. NR 2003 because of the Redline GTP mod. Everything else, I have no favorites.

I do wish R3E to develop into what they have promised but have no expectations of such. I can just as readily provide positive and negative words of feedback for the other racing titles which I've tried. I've not touched pCARS 2 but I do know what to look for from previous experience with 3 SMS titles, as well as being an active member in the WMD forum. You may have seen words from me regarding a wish to actually see pC2 deliver on most fronts. I have no stake in any company and instead would like to see a movement towards improved quality and experience in these games I enjoy, and which are nearly stagnant.
Unread 18 October 17, 01:21   #167
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
Have no comment to people that are obsessed with the way hayballs fly and not caring about a proper clutch model.
I care about a proper clutch always have but it's not just rF2 is it
No clutch in any sim I have driven is sufficient so I don't understand
pigeon holing rF2

If Assetto Corsa or ProjectCARS did a big update...... added free roam drive-able outfields, models and terrain allow climbing stairs and woodpiles, movable posts and barriers that interact with all cars, breakable signs like at Belgium's Malmedy chicane people would praise them ..............ironic
Unread 18 October 17, 02:25   #168
DurgeDriven

My Howston pushing the Clio to 7,500rpm in 6th and 167mph !
Try that in another sim, no I am not saying that makes it more realistic
I just saying all the stuff above in other sims is Fake News lol

So yes I would rather pCars2 have interaction with surroundings
Unread 18 October 17, 12:06   #169
syhlif32
Premium Member

Durge, If your particular version doesn't interact with obstacles or do not have a clutch ask for money back as you got a version different from everybody else.
Actual ask for the money back as you clearly do not think much or care to know much about PC2!
Not sure why it is so important to bash all other sims all the time. Apart for AC which have never clicked for me I find all (most) sims got some good points.
Doesn't mean they do not have bugs or faults but what is the point of bashing it here on Nogrip and endlessly promoting RF2 in all threads?