NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Project CARS

Unread 30 November 17, 12:21   #1
BrunoB

Default Need help with the Steam + patch.

Hey guys I got to have some help with the fu**ng Steam BS.
I have just got pCars2 on a good danish Black friday offer(38.79 USD) on CdOn.
And have got both the Steam client + pCars2 installed.

But because Steam is created not for customers but solely to get profit out of selling and advertising its so difficult and un-intuitive to find out how to download the 1.3 patch to pCars2.
At least for me
Would a kind person please tell me EXACTLY where and how I inside Steam can download the patch?

EDIT: I just found the following in a discussion about how to be sure if Steam automatically install patches.
It looks like you cannot be sure. Great platform

"I'd say about 75% of games on steam auto-patch. Some of them auto patch, but don't have latest and you can't install latest retail patch."

EDIT 2: Ok maybe I should reformulate my question to: How can you EXACTLY check if the game has the the latest(1.3) patch?

Last edited by BrunoB; 30 November 17 at 12:47.
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 November 17, 12:56   #2
Emery

Yeah, that Steam entry screen sucks. I usually launch the Steam client by starting rF2 and then right-clicking on Steam's taskbar icon to get a quick menu.

Open the Steam client and go to Library, Downloads (last on the menu). If this screen doesn't have Project CARS 2 listed, then you've likely already got the update. If it has pCARS 2 listed and it has an X at the right, then it's definitely downloaded and all you need to do is click the X to remove it from your download list. If it has an arrow pointing down (at the right), then click on the arrow to start the download (be patient, it may take a bit for something to happen).

To check if the update is installed, go to Library, Games, right-click on Project CARS 2, click on Properties. Click on the Local Files tab... at the bottom of the window, if update 1.3 is installed, it should say "Current content BuildID: 2322680". Another useful item in this screen is the bottom button "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES..." (along with uninstall, LOL).

In my situation of occasionally crummy internet connections, the Steam client has proved very reliable for downloading & updating game software. The ability to pause downloads is handy, too.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 November 17, 13:02   #3
pistoncup
Uploader

open steam, tabs top left.
Games
view games library
right click pcars2
properties
updates
view project cars 2 updates .

or to self check game files
Games
view games library
right click pcars2
properties
local files
verify integrity of game files.
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 November 17, 16:05   #4
BrunoB

Thank youuu Emerson and Piston.
I have allready saved your postings - because I KNOW that I have to re-read them in the future just to be able to get around inside this Steam rubbish.

And yess I know Im not unbiased because I have allways been 100% against being forced to use some 3rd party commercial huge net-program just to be able to run 1 racing sim with zero development relation to Steam.

Note: I have recently skipped my iRacing membership (because of the lousy TM ) but I have allways respected iRacings pretty professional and functioning Steam relationship.

ByTheWay: 1 racing sim?? OK maybe 2 because I allready own an unused Steam code for my small rF2 install
Unread 30 November 17, 16:49   #5
syhlif32
Premium Member

Pretty sure you got the update. Unless you opt out it will happen automatic.
if the Ai are not cutting the track on Monza chicane you got the update
syhlif32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 November 17, 17:48   #6
BrunoB

Thanks guys for all your helpfullness - but all this Steam bullocks was to zero enjoyment.

When I tried to start pCars2 it imediately errored with the following crash report conserning missing Win7 upd 2670838.
But after checking potiential probs with this socalled platform Upd I dont dare to install it. It looks like this goofy upd crashes both Firefox and Word2010 and a lot of other things I have installed on my Win7-64.

So at least Im glad I didnt pay too much for my pCars2
But to stay positive I can now start uninstalling all the Steam rubbish.

ByTheWay: The pCar2 WAS actually updated with patch 1.3

EDIT: OK I cannot upload pic of the crash report
Unread 30 November 17, 19:04   #7
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoB View Post
Thanks guys for all your helpfullness - but all this Steam bullocks was to zero enjoyment.

When I tried to start pCars2 it imediately errored with the following crash report conserning missing Win7 upd 2670838.
But after checking potiential probs with this socalled platform Upd I dont dare to install it. It looks like this goofy upd crashes both Firefox and Word2010 and a lot of other things I have installed on my Win7-64.

So at least Im glad I didnt pay too much for my pCars2
But to stay positive I can now start uninstalling all the Steam rubbish.

ByTheWay: The pCar2 WAS actually updated with patch 1.3

EDIT: OK I cannot upload pic of the crash report
What?? ...it's unfortunate if the ultra infamous KB2670838 update for Win7 is required for PCars 2.
Due to that, and as a happy user of Win7, the game gets an instantaneous "sorry but no, I'll pass" label from me too.

AFAIK, the only other recent game/sim I came across that also requires this is IL2 Battle of Stalingrad (and IL2 Battle of Moscow).

Among several known issues and instability that it can cause, this update for Win7 is also known to break a few games of that period (2013) and older, among them the popular flight sim IL2 Cliffs Of Dover.
While installing KB2670838 doesn't automatically mean that it'll eff up your Win7 PC, it is one of those "install it at your own peril" situations...
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 November 17, 19:24   #8
pez2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoB View Post
I just found the following in a discussion about how to be sure if Steam automatically install patches.
It looks like you cannot be sure. Great platform

"I'd say about 75% of games on steam auto-patch. Some of them auto patch, but don't have latest and you can't install latest retail patch."
In over a decade of using Steam I've never had it not update a game - they all automatically patch (unless you explicitly turn off updates).

It's not quite like conventional patches where you download an installer to move from your installed version to another, instead every Steam game just has a full 'current version' install on their servers. When you install a game, it just sends you this current version, instead of the original day one release followed by updates as you would with a disc game, so you'll always have the latest version immediately upon installing a game with no need for an update.

When the game developers update the version on the Steam servers, as soon as your copy of Steam notices it'll figure out what's changed from what you have installed to what's on the servers, and download just the changed parts. It doesn't matter how old your install is, it'll figure out how to download just one overall update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Yeah, that Steam entry screen sucks. I usually launch the Steam client by starting rF2 and then right-clicking on Steam's taskbar icon to get a quick menu.
There's a setting under Steam -> Settings -> Interface -> Favorite Window which lets you choose the start page. I've had it set to Library for as long as it's existed, so I basically never see the store.

On the Library screen, there are also three buttons in the top right to change the layout - List View is basically just a straight list of your games without any clutter, and has a little plus icon in the top right to choose what details you want and turn off anything useless (icons, metascore, etc.). Pared down, this will give you pretty much the same thing as the taskbar menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
Among several known issues and instability that it can cause, this update for Win7 is also known to break a few games of that period (2013) and older, among them the popular flight sim IL2 Cliffs Of Dover.
Was Cliffs of Dover ever not broken? I think I gave up on it a few months after release and went back to IL2 '46.
pez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 November 17, 20:26   #9
BrunoB

Hey pez you are probably right about the consistency behind the Steam updates.
Ill take that
But concerning Steams menu system my criticism is based on the more or less obvious "fact" that Steam is not specially focused on helping you to find and press a few simple menu buttons and then getting on with your game.
No they are more interested in plastering your screen with their latest game or their latest urgent "news".

And if Im looking for as example the log off button then Im not the slightest interested in all this bollocks.
Hehe by the way. Normally the log off/log out button should be reachable inside the basic/start screen.
But not inside Steams menu system - no no
Unread 30 November 17, 20:53   #10
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez2k View Post
Was Cliffs of Dover ever not broken? I think I gave up on it a few months after release and went back to IL2 '46.
HEH true, although not entirely.
It was indeed utterly broken, from launch right untill the last patch (and abandoned by the devs after it).
But no longer, thanks to the huge community efforts, with the Team Fusion mod restoring it to really good form.

I too still rock IL2 1946 (+VP modpack), mostly because I no longer play online and (IMHO) for offline (single player) it's still unbeaten.
The huge variety of scenarios/fronts and aircrafts (and missions, and campaigns) is also positively enormous, plus the gazillion of polished mods, and that's why it suits me better.

But, have to say, (IMHO) if you like WW2 flight sims of the "hardcore" type, and if you prefer online (humans instead of bots, allied or enemy), then IL2 CLod is really, really good.
Where it kind of fails for me is for offline, it's very "serviceable" but far from perfect there (definitely no IL2 1946 in that regard).
Also, being fully focused on Battle of Britain scenario only (though the Battle of Malta expansion is coming up) can make it feel limited at times.
For those reasons, it's not for everybody. But it's definitely among the very best (some openly affirm it's the best). Plus, it's continuously improved. No longer broken, I assure you.

Unread 30 November 17, 20:56   #11
syhlif32
Premium Member

I did the update to my win 7 and have not noticed any issues and I use IL-2 Cliffs of Dover with all the Mod updates.
Unread 30 November 17, 21:11   #12
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
I did the update to my win 7 and have not noticed any issues and I use IL-2 Cliffs of Dover with all the Mod updates.
As you'll find in the forums (ATAG and others), it's hit and miss with KB2670838.
Lots are fully affected, others partially, some not at all. Uninstallation of KB2670838 does prevent issues and is part of the TF instructions when things go wrong.
Unread 1 December 17, 11:10   #13
syhlif32
Premium Member

I have no doubt you are right. Just saying I had no issue with the update and I got way to many games from GOG.
Despite being involved with COD I agree that il-2 1946 are the more fun and maybe better sim.
Unread 1 December 17, 12:28   #14
BrunoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
As you'll find in the forums (ATAG and others), it's hit and miss with KB2670838.
Lots are fully affected, others partially, some not at all.
Yeah thats also the reason I decided not to install this Update.
But because it looks like the 1.3 patch has changed pCars2 more or less completely I have changed my mind - and will try to install the KB2670838.
Hehe because I suppose I know enough of how to repair my Win7 install if anything goes wrong.
Suppose the man said
Because Im still running the orig Win7 install from July 2012!! and Im not using Windows own restore - so Im a bit exited what will happen.
But Ill report back here just for common entertainment
Unread 2 December 17, 18:23   #15
BrunoB

I just installed the KB2670838 upd and beside my C: drive was plastered with more than 2600 new files and folders with unnessesary language files and manifests then the pCars2 is now up and running.
But it was only after I lowered all the graphics settings to close to nothing that I was able to run the game more than a few secs before it locked up.
But even with these low settings the game is absolutely more fun and with a better "realistic" car behaviour than iRacing.

I have just tested the NissanGTP around MonzaGP because this was the car I was using last week in iRacing - and as said the car feels much more as I suppose this monster would be felt in real life.

NOTE: Its not the games fault that I had to lower the settings to under the ‎floor level. Hehe its my own "fault" because I have not updated my ooold puter for decades(i-920/HD7900).
You are supposed to laugh here

Note2: To regain a bit of control over what files should be plastered over my C: drive Ill start to delete all MSs unnessesary language BS.

NOTE3: Until now I can only recommend grabbing pCars2.
Unread 3 December 17, 11:20   #16
pistoncup
Uploader

the AI is still dopey dora and a bit ram happy .

the cockpit view bounces around too much . world movement slider doesn't seem to work . set to zero and i'm still nearly having a epileptic fit.
Unread 4 December 17, 05:23   #17
MickeyMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncup View Post
the cockpit view bounces around too much . world movement slider doesn't seem to work . set to zero and i'm still nearly having a epileptic fit.
Try setting it to 100. I think it works like: 0 = head fixed to horizon, 100 = head fixed to car.
MickeyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 December 17, 08:19   #18
pistoncup
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMouse View Post
Try setting it to 100. I think it works like: 0 = head fixed to horizon, 100 = head fixed to car.
oh I will try that . I assumed 100 was full movement ?
Unread 4 December 17, 12:50   #19
BrunoB

Maybe it sounds contradicting but eventhough all the short testing sessions I have done in pCars2 have ended up with PC freezes I think this will be the racing sim I will enjoy the years to come.

Eventhough I have lowered all the graphic settings to low or "zero" the display looks acceptable - but even more urgent the Nissan GTP on Monza does behave much more recoverable and intuitive than iRacings Nissan GTP.
So now I finally have a major incentive to build a PC that will be able to run this monster game.

Note: The error messages after the freezes is most often that the display driver "died" but recovered.
hehe but obviously the game dont like this and refuse to recover from the black screen.
So until now the game have not saved a Monza personal best - because all the sessions have ended with the mentioned freezes.
But great game.
Unread 4 December 17, 13:02   #20
syhlif32
Premium Member

You should update your graphics driver!
You wrote you got a HD7900 not sure if that is a 7950 ot 7970 but both should ba able to run the game at medium or better!
Just for the fun I installed steam on my golf sim computer with a HD 7870 and ran PC2 on medium with ~ 70-80 fps. That was the EVO on Spa
The 7870 is overclocked but doubt it is faster than a none over clocked HD7950.
Unread 4 December 17, 13:54   #21
BrunoB

Thank you for answering Syh
You just got me to try upd the driver.
Before your "push" I had been wondering but had decided it was not worth the effort.
Because both the 7950 and the driver is quite old.

hehe I have a reasonable philosophy that when a g-card is launched then the driver updates is only an advantage until next gen g-cards are launched by the devs.
Because from now on the drivers has to be a compromise between the old card(s) and some of the features in the next gen cards.

Bytheway: Its a reasonable oc´ed 7950 Im using - so lets see if it like a new driver. Hehe and an old i-920
Unread 4 December 17, 19:06   #22
Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncup View Post
oh I will try that . I assumed 100 was full movement ?
It's one of those things pCARS 1 & 2 does backwards (like FOV being monitor width rather than height). Monitor users will want 100 and VR users will want 0.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 December 17, 23:40   #23
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
Bytheway: Its a reasonable oc´ed 7950 Im using - so lets see if it like a new driver. Hehe and an old i-920
It might be your CPU that is bottle necking the GPU.
Got an i5 @ 4.4 Ghz with the HD 7870.
Unread 4 December 17, 23:47   #24
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
It's one of those things pCARS 1 & 2 does backwards (like FOV being monitor width rather than height). Monitor users will want 100 and VR users will want 0.
While the FOV is opposite to Gmotor games it makes more sense with the width!

I like my view both on monitor and in VR to be locked to horizon.
This is how your eyes works when you are driving in real life too. But I guess it might depend on the FOV people are using?
Unread 5 December 17, 00:36   #25
MickeyMouse

Quote:
I like my view both on monitor and in VR to be locked to horizon.
This is how your eyes works when you are driving in real life too.
Not really, do you see Nascar drivers hold their heads level with the horizon on 33 deg banking? I think a realistic setting would be something high like 80 in 2D, or 100 with VR, since you have very limited head movement in a race car in reality. But it's just personal preference, hence why it's an option.
Unread 5 December 17, 01:54   #26
pistoncup
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
it still doesn't seem to work so I left it at 50. I have head movement set to zero as well.
seems to be an off putting jump into Forrest elbow at Bathurst. at least I have the car not spinning or the rear floating away .

I also have the slider set to 68 . For me atm I'm just a tiny bit faster than AI which seems to have helped in the rear ending and dive bombing AI.

Last edited by pistoncup; 5 December 17 at 02:13.
Unread 5 December 17, 09:47   #27
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
Not really, do you see Nascar drivers hold their heads level with the horizon on 33 deg banking? I think a realistic setting would be something high like 80 in 2D, or 100 with VR, since you have very limited head movement in a race car in reality. But it's just personal preference, hence why it's an option.
I am not watching Nascar but I bet with you that their eyes are on the road (horizon) not locked on anything indside the car.
Locked to horizon means that the world (outside cockpit) is steady while the cockpit moved regardless what the angles are. While locked to cockpit means the cockpit is stable while the world moves.

The last is a sure way for people to get a second look at their last meal while using VR
Unread 5 December 17, 12:13   #28
BrunoB

Quote:
It might be your CPU that is bottle necking the GPU.
Got an i5 @ 4.4 Ghz with the HD 7870.
Its my experience that conserning PC issues you often dont really clearcut gets to know what the problem really was/is.
But after messing with a lot of things in the PC often the issue "goes away".

In this case it was not enough memory!

I had forgot I have only 6Gb Ram - my own memory told me that years ago when I build the PC I installed 8Gb ram.
And 8Gb is just OK with pCars2.

But when I in one of the freezes killed pCars2 with Taskmanager I coincidently checked the Performance window and saw 0Mb(zero) Free memory.

Then via bios I checked that my PC only has 6Gb ram.
And the low ram issue correspond also with the way the freezes happens.
Its allways after ½-1½ laps where the mem hammer suddenly strucks.
So now when I actually have seen that the game can run (somewhat) reasonable with my i-920/HD7950 I wonder if I should buy an extra block DDR3-1333 of 2Gb to install until I build the final projected monster PC.

Because after having teased myself with pCars2 its VERY difficult just to revert to a meh meh rF2 non-Steam install.
Unread 5 December 17, 12:54   #29
syhlif32
Premium Member

Good you found the issue.
Unread 5 December 17, 17:22   #30
MickeyMouse

Quote:
I am not watching Nascar but I bet with you that their eyes are on the road (horizon) not locked on anything indside the car.
That would be physically impossible because the seat head padding is in the way. You would literally have to tilt your head 33deg to the right through the corners to lock your head to the horizon.

Quote:
Locked to horizon means that the world (outside cockpit) is steady while the cockpit moved regardless what the angles are. While locked to cockpit means the cockpit is stable while the world moves.
Correct, with horizon locked if you go through a corner with 33deg banking you'll see your cockpit tilt 33deg to the left, a very odd feeling IMO (and impossible in reality).

Quote:
The last is a sure way for people to get a second look at their last meal while using VR
It seems to be personal preference. I've heard people say that it is more comfortable that way, but I prefer locked to car in VR. It just feels very odd seeing the car rotate around my stationary head.
Unread 6 December 17, 12:36   #31
syhlif32
Premium Member

You do what is best for you but locked to horizon does not mean your view is horizontal just that the outside distant world is not jumping around.

I moved my Steam install from a 512 SSD to a 3Tb hard disk and lost my previous settings so not longer sure what settings I used.
My VR headset gave me issues last night.
Unread 6 December 17, 14:28   #32
MickeyMouse

Perhaps some screens would clarify the situation.

World movement 0:
Note the horizon is level.

World movement 100:
Note the cockpit is level.