NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Project CARS

Unread 5 January 18, 12:46   #1
BrunoB

Default This is not the most stable game I have met!

I have to admit that this game is not the most stable program I have met.
First I had to buy more ram from my meagre 6Gb to now 12Gb.
But thats not pCars2´s fault.

But then I had to use an unofficial start argument (-pthreads 4 -fpscap 50) to get the game to run more than a few laps before freeze.

OK the result was that I for about 2 weeks could run the game very stable (Practice) .

Then suddenly after about 1 hours offline Practice the game suddenly teleported me back in the pit with a very skewed cockpit view.
WTF!

I could use the throttle/br and gears but the car was stuck in the skewed pit.
Sometimes after a restart it was able to autorun in the pitlane but as soon the game should shift to manual steering at end of pitlane the car was again freezed in the skewed position with actibe thr/br and gear.
I tried a lot of things and a very few times if after activating Replay I was able to get the car free of pitlane.
But 99% of the time the car was stuck.

Now I have reinstalled the game and its running OK.
For the moment.
Because after this experience I know that this game will probably go into this goofy anomali mode again - in the next hour or in the next week.
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 January 18, 12:54   #2
David Wright

Not much help to you but my copy has run fine since install over 3 months ago. The only exception was failure to load a track after the third patch. A steam file integrity check revealed a few errors and since then its been fine again.
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 January 18, 17:44   #3
BrunoB

After more than 25 years with computers I know that its often (or nearly allways ) extremely difficult to make faultfinding.
At least if the cause is not more or less obvious.

If we take the strange symptoms when my pCars2 got sick then the day before I suddenly experienced that in the pit I could use the mouse to move and skew the cockpit view that allways remains behind the pit menu.
Holding the mouse button I could move this cockpit view L/R and up/down and also skew it out of its horisontal angle.
And the time this started was after I mapped a key (or was it a button on the wheel?) to change between views.
And now come my point

My only guess is that it is this button that from time to time create some low level impulses that get the game to stall because of the mentioned view mapping.
And the reason for this suspicion is because a lot of people have noted that this game has an error message when you map a button or a lever(axis) saying: Multiple axis recognised.
Which is the games way of interpreting such low level impulses.

Yes My name is S. Holmes.
Probably

EDIT: Oh I need to say that when this game are running I have much more joy driving the cars on the tracks - than anything I have had in my 5+ years in iRacing.
The cars feels so extremely convincing that I have only felt the same in Raceroom.
rF2 go home and sleep

Last edited by BrunoB; 5 January 18 at 17:50. Reason: Because Im so extremely nice and kind :-)
Unread 6 January 18, 02:23   #4
pistoncup
Uploader

My game has never crashed or spazzed out , its only not recognised the wheel and pedals a few times.

I wouldn't put car physics as the one of the best as you still can't feel the tyre contact patch except if a front wheel locks up under braking but you cant feel which side like RR . If I run over a puddle I feel it in the suspension not the tyre, Raceroom has that easily covered over PC2 . The rear doesn't break away so easy like PC1.

You can very late brake and not run off the track . There is some magic grip there at the end of late braking .

AI also have magic grip and acceleration .

I change view on the wheel (X button G920) but my FOV is mapped to keyboard

Last edited by pistoncup; 6 January 18 at 02:42.
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 January 18, 12:51   #5
syhlif32
Premium Member

I had a couple of times where I had to restart to get it to run in VR but apart from that is had been stable.

I am with BrunoB here, Pc2 gives you a lot of good driving experiences.
Will not compare RRE to OC2 as I have never really liked RRE but I am pretty sure RRE do not have PC2 covered with regards to puddles

I only make use of a smaller number of tracks and cars in PC2 that I have found to be very good.
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 January 18, 20:16   #6
BrunoB

I tested Raceroom a few weeks before I bought pCars2 and I gladly admit that conserning car physics(specially tire model/sideways behaviour) I was completely sold.

Until that I considered rF2 to be closest to my taste of something that had a convincing resemblance to RL.

But with Raceroom I intuitively felt that this was my kind of sim.
But beside of the TM I was garanteed also influenced by the sound and the graphic quality even on my ooold puter.

But then I got pCars2 (shortly after the 3rd patch) and eventhough I was amazed of the sound and all the possibilities(weather and stuff) then I felt after a while that the cars was a bit boring to drive.
The cars was too easy to save even if you mistreated them in every corner.

But then I began lowering the downforce on my favorite Nissan GTP!
And eventhough the car is still not so fun and challenging to drive as some of Racerooms then some of the cars in pCars2 can be good fun and also challenging if you create a low downforce setup.
Its my oppinion that if you go the other way and create a high downforce setup the car will become unrealistic stable and veeery boring to drive.
Unread 8 January 18, 04:06   #7
Guimengo
Uploader

pCARS 1 and Assetto have too much stability on so many of the cars. pC was absurdly silly but even AC on a few cars I abused the throttle early on chicane exits and found so much stability in power delivery and lack of rear spin.

Like you did with the setup, you can create something within that world to make it behave closer to how it should on certain conditions but by then you’re creating a goblin that is so unrealistic, in my case it limits the fun I can have.
Guimengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 January 18, 04:54   #8
DurgeDriven

I think it is nothing more then pmotors

It comes back to the creator's code and their perception of whats what
No matter how tweaked a mod is for what sim, they will still have that
same inherent feel to each imho

" You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear " or vice-a-versa

Doesn't mean you can't have fun in all of them
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 January 18, 10:56   #9
pistoncup
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
I had a couple of times where I had to restart to get it to run in VR but apart from that is had been stable.

I am with BrunoB here, Pc2 gives you a lot of good driving experiences.
Will not compare RRE to OC2 as I have never really liked RRE but I am pretty sure RRE do not have PC2 covered with regards to puddles

I only make use of a smaller number of tracks and cars in PC2 that I have found to be very good.
The live track 3 is an awesome feature . it keeps you on your toes .
for the most part the cars seem to drive alright and the driving immersion is good . The tracks don't feel like you're racing on a Tuesday .

Its a bit surprising and a lot improved over Pc1.
Unread 11 January 18, 22:08   #10
pawgy7

How do you win in PC2? Just won at Silverstone. Just set AI to lowest setting. And started 7th of 16. just booted everyone ahead of me off track and cut corners wherever I could and kept it floored most of the time. Rediculous but with the out-of mind AI it worked. If that is the way the developers wanted when they set the AI, that is the way it will be. Also looking for bff file openers and can not do that. If they don't want poorer players to be competetive and you have to cheat, I guess i will cheat.

As "Durge said"Doesn't mean you can't have fun in all of them.

Last edited by pawgy7; 12 January 18 at 15:02.
pawgy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 January 18, 00:13   #11
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawgy7 View Post
...... just booted everyone ahead of me off track and cut corners wherever I could and kept it floored most of the time

If you can boot off leader the ai is too low

Raise ai 5% a go and start last but no running into them

Don't try to pass every opportunity, stay in their tow and plan your moves
Unread 12 January 18, 09:52   #12
pistoncup
Uploader

most people pass up the inside but outside passes work just as well in Pcars . You probably should race online public servers Pawgy, you'll fit right in .
Unread 12 January 18, 11:55   #13
BrunoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncup View Post
You probably should race online public servers Pawgy, you'll fit right in .
Haha good one.
But seriously Pawgy then the AI in pCars2 does behave rather "friendly" if you dont raise the aggression level too high.
So if you are bullying them as you describe then they allow you to overtake.
But there is no winning feeling doing that.
At the moment Im racing AI at slightly over the default settings (55-60 and aggress(50)) and I try to overtake them like it was RL with other humans.

But as Piston say then if you try pCars2 online then you will probably find a lot of "friends" driving the same way as you describe.
Unread 12 January 18, 15:01   #14
pawgy7

great replies. thanks but will keep to myself. Not online ever. At least I can run @ 1600/900 with fairly good car control.
Unread 12 January 18, 16:29   #15
BrunoB

Quote:
Not online ever.
I have seen before that this is your absolute stubborn oppinion pawgy.
But eventhough we both probably are too old for this shit then you should do yourself a favour to at least 1 time in your life to try it.
Online racing I mean
What could be the worst that happend?
The best could be that you suddenly thought - why the hell have I not tried this before?
Unread 12 January 18, 18:44   #16
pawgy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoB View Post
I have seen before that this is your absolute stubborn oppinion pawgy.
But eventhough we both probably are too old for this shit then you should do yourself a favour to at least 1 time in your life to try it.
Online racing I mean
What could be the worst that happend?
The best could be that you suddenly thought - why the hell have I not tried this before?
I am sitting here chuckling while i read you very intuitive post. I still doubt I will ever race online. No matter how hard you and Durge try.But maybe. Thanks for reply. \

regards Pawgy7
Unread 12 January 18, 20:15   #17
BrunoB

Just a further personal comment on this Pawgy.
My best experience online has been in some "closed" leagues.
One was a league running the GTP mod for NR2003 residing in US called FSB racing.
We had the most clean and friendly (but highly competing) racing I have experienced.
One of the reasons was a rule saying that if you caused 1 accident damaging someone else then no problem - but the next time you caused one again you had to park the car (ESC).
But the result was no hard feelings because we all can make faults - but also have to take the consequense.

The other extremely good experience was driving regularly in a (also closed) iRacing L79 league for old grumpy fellas. I was only a midfielder but the "ambience" in our common talk before and after races was very very warm and comrader´ish
And the races was (mainly) very clean and respectfull.

On the opposite I hated iRacings official races because it was allways a wreckfest. So dont believe all the propaganda about iRacings oh so clean races.

But closed leagues where you get to know people after some time is (in my oppinion) the way to go.
Thats also the reason I intend to join either a pCars2 or Raceroom league when I get a better puter.
Unread 13 January 18, 01:23   #18
boxer
Uploader

Quote:
I am sitting here chuckling while i read you very intuitive post. I still doubt I will ever race online. No matter how hard you and Durge try.But maybe. Thanks for reply. \

regards Pawgy7

Pawgy I can attest that it is worth while joining DD on his F3 server. If I was you I would take him up on his offer. DD is extremely helpful and you will learn things you will be able to apply to other cars / sims. You wont regret it I guaranty you that.

I may try to update the f3 (But I'm hoping S397 corrects the may graphic glitch's on it first).
boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 January 18, 01:37   #19
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
Pawgy I can attest that it is worth while joining DD on his F3 server. If I was you I would take him up on his offer. DD is extremely helpful and you will learn things you will be able to apply to other cars / sims. You wont regret it I guaranty you that.

I may try to update the f3 (But I'm hoping S397 corrects the may graphic glitch's on it first).
oi B, all the old Historic mods I tried are affected

Eve Community only a handful of skins show
Unread 17 January 18, 11:04   #20
SpeedyMax

A lil off topic but i can't seem to figure out whats happening with the F3 stairs. I don't know if it's a bug but anytime i create a ramp under me, I will automatically fall through it?
SpeedyMax is offline   Reply With Quote