NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GTR2

Unread 18 September 16, 21:50   #1
TheIronWolf

Default GTR2 in VR - it works!!!

Hi fellow NoGrippers!

I wanted to share that I was able to launch GTR2 in VR (Oculus Rift CV1, using Vorpx). I'll try P&G next weekend if I get time. But, the bottom line: it works, it works no worse than rF2 and framerate is way higher, which adds to enjoyability. Excuse me for poor formatting - have not time polish it atm.

You can find my post on general flow of things in rF2 here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...l=1#post432419
GTR2 is very similar. Please go over rF2 part as this is just a quick post to let people know, not a polished guide (ignore part on angles, they don't matter). Overall flow is same as rf2

Here are GTR2 specifics:
  • In vorpx, browse local profiles. Create new profile based off rFactor1 profile, and associate GTR2.exe with it.
  • Remove compatibility mode from GTR2.exe and do not run as admin/elevated. Important: only GTR2.exe! Keep GTR2Config settings as they are, this tool doesn't work for me well if I do not run it in compat mode.
  • Disable SweetFX if you have it (by renaming d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll that come with SweetFX.
  • Now, try launching game. You do not need windowed mode for GTR2, use full screen
Launch GTR2. You should see Swedish creation in the HMD.

Now, details:
  • Create some 5:4 resolution, and run game in that resolution. This reduces rendering waste. In fact you could try 8:9 or 1:1, but I see screen edges in rF2 in those resolutions, so for now I use 5:4.
  • Edit your defviews..cam :
    LocalCam=COCKPIT
    {
    Fov=(120.000000, 96.00000)
    This is setting for 5:4 resolution, for example 1800x1400. 120 degree horizontal FOV
  • Map free look and zero free look to some easily accessible buttons - you'll need them often.
  • Do not alt+tab out of game, at least on my system it dies that way.
  • Very important: use utility of your preference to set affinity of GTR2.exe to use all processors. I was getting horrendous FPS if I didn't do that. I use ProcessLasso.
  • Adjust FPS cap to 90FPS.
  • Disable any form of v-sync, it is not needed with VR.
  • My vorpx preferences:
    • ○ Reconstruction - Z Adaptive, rest default
    • ○ Disable mouse acceleration
    • ○ Adjust headtacking sensitivity to your liking.
I'd suggest not turning vorpX off after quitting game, instead restart your computer. Vorpx has bug where settings are not saved otherwise.

BTW: I would speculatively assume, same process might work for Race 07 as well. I saw rF1 menu in HMD, but didn't play game, so that likely works too.

I am very excited I got it working in this amazing game. Hopefully, P&G will work too. I hope you will enjoy as well.

GTR2 forever!!!

Last edited by TheIronWolf; 19 September 16 at 14:12.
TheIronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 September 16, 04:40   #2
GTR233
Uploader

Thanks for tutorial, good to know that GTR2 is still alive (... even though my old pc is not able to run VR lol)
PnG is a mod for GTR2 so if it works with GTR2 then it will work with PnG
GTR233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 September 16, 05:29   #3
syhlif32
Premium Member

Well done!
How did you make the 5:4 resolution?
I tried with CRU which worked well but involved a lot of rebooting.

Not sure if I buy Oculus Rift. Vive or maybe even just a Daydream phone?
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 September 16, 05:31   #4
TheIronWolf

Let's hope it works. But for example if I launch changeable weather patch, vorpX doesn't pick GTR2 up and IIRC P&G has its own launcher.

Honestly, I can't believe that I am posting about GTR2 and even playing it, but it is good and enjoyable. Where else can you play, say, DTM 1991 with weather, safety car and VR?

I wish someone brought Crew Chief into GTR2, but it is a question how many people need that... to me personally audio is very important part of immersion.

BTW, thanks for continued modding of GTR2, I need to go over your Graphics post to see if I have all the tweaks, at some point
Unread 19 September 16, 05:32   #5
TheIronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
Well done!

I'll explain tomorrow Good night guys.
Unread 19 September 16, 06:38   #6
GTR233
Uploader

What do you mean by crew chief ? I saw your same question in my thread yesterday but I don't see...
There is an audio pit chief in GTR2 but it is disabled in PnG mod. Nevertheless you can restore it by installing one of these mods :
- Male here
- Female here

There is also a key to map in controls menu in order to call him during race: he gives your position and tell you which damages your car can have
GTR233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 September 16, 06:43   #7
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronWolf
... IIRC P&G has its own launcher.
Yes it does. But that Launcher is not a wrapper-like necessity but more like a handy collection of tools to ease everybody's life a bit.

If the Launcher is going to be a problem for your VR environment, you could first use it to patch the player profile (to get the correct settings) in "normal reality". Then exit the Launcher and start the GTR2.exe directly with your VR system. If GTR2 works then I don't see why PnG wouldn't work too.

And just a note: you don't need to run the player patch all the time. Only if you change something in the profile settings or feel like something is not right with cars, the patching may need to be run again.

I wish you have lots of fun with PnG too So nice guide for GTR2.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
aSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 September 16, 08:48   #8
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
What do you mean by crew chief ? I saw your same question in my thread yesterday but I don't see...
There is an audio pit chief in GTR2 but it is disabled in PnG mod. Nevertheless you can restore it by installing one of these mods :
- Male here
- Female here

There is also a key to map in controls menu in order to call him during race: he gives your position and tell you which damages your car can have
Crew Chief is a Rf1 and AMS Pit radio that works really well. Can add to the sense of immersion and is good fun too.
Unread 19 September 16, 13:49   #9
TheIronWolf

Quote:
Crew Chief is a Rf1 and AMS Pit radio that works really well. Can add to the sense of immersion and is good fun too.
...but not in GTR2, someone has to do port.
Unread 19 September 16, 13:53   #10
TheIronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR233 View Post
- Male here
- Female here

The team radio in GTR2 is very basic, and you have to press buttons as you say (which I didn't know about ). Crew Chief reads shared memory of R3E, pCars and they added plugin for rF1/AMS which I believe exposes shared memory via reading rF plugin API. If I had more time, I'd approach Crew Chief dev to allow me to port to GTR2, but I do not have time for that.

Try it out - it works very, very well (and might be an interesting project for someone with an itch for some programming).

Last edited by TheIronWolf; 19 September 16 at 14:13.
Unread 19 September 16, 14:05   #11
TheIronWolf

Quote:
Well done!

So, on Nvidia cards, 5:4 resolution can be created by going to "Change resolution" in Nvidia Control Panel, clicking "Customize" button, and also allowing creation of resolutions not supported by monitor (IIRC there's check box). Manually enter horizontal and vertical pixel count, and click "Test". Here, some people might have issue at this point if resolution is above monitor capabilities. On my crappy 1080p downscaling of any resolution to native happens automatically, so I can see resolutions above my monitor's capabilities. I am not sure what takes care of downscaling monitor or GPU.

If something like 1800x1440 can't be visible on your monitor, you could try 1280x1024, it should display on any common monitor.

Once you have resolution created, last step is to use GTR2Config tool to select that res as the one to run game on.

For people curious "why": https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/a...m-resolutions/

Ideal is 8:9 or 1:1 aspect ratios, but as I mentioned I can see screen boundaries in those, so need wider, 5:4.
Unread 19 September 16, 15:59   #12
syhlif32
Premium Member

Now I remember why I used Cru. If was to get DSR to work
Had to make the custom resolution the default resolution.
Only tried with a Google card board and a nexus phone.
Unread 22 September 16, 15:26   #13
TheIronWolf

Quick update: PnG3 works as well! (what an amazing mod, such attention to detail ...)

I can't edit my original post, though I planned to update it with new findings, oh well, my next guide will be a pdf. There's one problem with GTR2, which I've been seeing in the past, even without VR. Sometimes, game starts and performs way worse. This is more pronounced in VR. The only fix is, if you see mouse tracks horribly slow in main menu, restart the game. Usually fixes it.

Last edited by TheIronWolf; 22 September 16 at 15:43.
Unread 28 November 16, 11:33   #14
Insert Coin

I'd like to know if Race07 works too, before buying VorpX. Can you try perhaps?
Insert Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 November 16, 16:17   #15
syhlif32
Premium Member

It should work!
You can try Reshade 3 that is free software.
download this:
https://reshade.me/
put it in any folder and run it, point it to the Race 07 folde you want to try out
It got a huge number of shaders the Hdr works great

Now download this:
https://github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D
Copy the SuperDepth3D_1.9.0_HDM.fx to the folder \race07\Reshade-shaders\shaders
The SuperDepth3D_1.9.0_HDM.fx is in alternative or expermental folder forgot exactly.
When you start that copy of Race07 let it get over the movies and select settings.
Then press Shift +F2 you can click and select the shaders you want to use.

Be aware that nether Race07 nor any of the gmotor2 based games got a real depth map so it is kind of fake 3D. None of the less you can get a feel of 3D.
There are a lot of settings to play with.
After you got good setting change under 'setting' from Configuration Mode to Performance Mode. That speeds up things.

The 3d9d.dll from Reshader hooks into the game so you can't change resolution not even by rename or removing without a reboot.
I have used another install to change res and just copied over the config.ini
Reshade 3 and the superdepth3D is very fast hardly any fps drop.
On the first link there is also a forum with a lot of good info.
Only been using using it with a phone VR bot was impressed enough to order a OSVR HDK2 this weekend.
Do try out the HDR for me it makes the old Gmotor games look real great. Some of the other ones too but default settings are often too high.
Unread 28 November 16, 16:31   #16
TheIronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert Coin View Post
I'd like to know if Race07 works too, before buying VorpX. Can you try perhaps?
Sorry, I do not have Race 07 installed, but I've ran rF2, GTR2 and rF1 with vorpX. As long as there's free look and zero free look (basically mouse look) it should work. Just keep in mind it is not like native VR support, but still a good alternative to 3 monitors. I am playing rF2 that way every single day
Unread 29 November 16, 08:37   #17
Insert Coin

FYI: I'm running Race07 on the Rift using
- TriDef, which gives me 3D in Race07, but only the cockpit of the Alfa Romeo is scaled correctly
- and BigScreen, set up as a large curved screen (FOV in Race07 set to 95%).
It is 3D and it gives a 'half VR' experience (you can see the edges of the screen if you turn your head), but it's very low resolution and it stutter quite a bit.
Why am I still fiddling with Race07? Because I'm racing with my dad (76 ) every week and he has an older laptop which cannot run newer games.

@syhlif32: Thank you, I will try.

@TheIronWolf: What does it look like to run GTR2 with VorpX on the Rift? Like a very large monitor or will I be 'in the car' like in Assetto Corsa? (Well, half a car in Race07 )
Is it 3D with VorpX? What's the resolution of GTR2 when it is running on the Rift?
Unread 29 November 16, 15:31   #18
TheIronWolf

It is hard to explain how it looks. From what you describe, it sounds like you are running in what vorpX calls "Cinema mode", large, curved screen. I do not run in this mode (see my initial post on how I run it). In mode I am running, I can barely see edge of screen if I try looking down very hard. I suspect people with different face shapes will see less or more.

Have you enabled mouse look in Race07? It should follow your head, and if you ever see edges, you will see them no matter the position of your head.

As I mentioned, this is not native support. The difference: if you move body forward, your virtual body doesn't. It is basically mouse look vorpx has many 3d reconstruction options (to make illusion of stereo vision) but I do not use full reconstruction, it never worked for me, just default Z-buffer. Remember, this is just a hack, game has no stereo support.

I am currently running 10:9 resolution 1600x1440, and performance is way lower than in native games. The higher the res the better the picture is. For proper scaling vorpx requires ~120 degrees horizontal FOV, and you need to calculate vertical FOV from the aspect ratio of resolution. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TheIronWolf; 29 November 16 at 16:22.
Unread 29 November 16, 16:17   #19
TheIronWolf

Speaking of stuttering, vorpX supports Rift's ATW and ASW technologies, so simply put even if game runs at 30FPS, vorpX will render it at 45FPS and will do so pretty smoothly.

The biggest problem with vorpx (aside from it being a hack which is what it is ) in my understanding is dx9 limitations, so the whole thing perform slower than, say pCars or AC.

It is too bad there's no demo for this tool, I think dev loses money
Unread 29 November 16, 20:08   #20
syhlif32
Premium Member

Can you not use Freepie to convert Oculus Rift movements to trackIr?
There was a script for DK2 that did that!
Unread 3 December 16, 15:30   #21
Insert Coin

Quote:
It should work!
You can try Reshade 3 that is free software.
download this:
https://reshade.me/
put it in any folder and run it, point it to the Race 07 folde you want to try out
It got a huge number of shaders the Hdr works great

Now download this:
https://github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D
Copy the SuperDepth3D_1.9.0_HDM.fx to the folder \race07\Reshade-shaders\shaders
The SuperDepth3D_1.9.0_HDM.fx is in alternative or expermental folder forgot exactly.
When you start that copy of Race07 let it get over the movies and select settings.
Then press Shift +F2 you can click and select the shaders you want to use.

Be aware that nether Race07 nor any of the gmotor2 based games got a real depth map so it is kind of fake 3D. None of the less you can get a feel of 3D.
There are a lot of settings to play with.
After you got good setting change under 'setting' from Configuration Mode to Performance Mode. That speeds up things.

The 3d9d.dll from Reshader hooks into the game so you can't change resolution not even by rename or removing without a reboot.
I have used another install to change res and just copied over the config.ini
Reshade 3 and the superdepth3D is very fast hardly any fps drop.
On the first link there is also a forum with a lot of good info.
Only been using using it with a phone VR bot was impressed enough to order a OSVR HDK2 this weekend.
Do try out the HDR for me it makes the old Gmotor games look real great. Some of the other ones too but default settings are often too high.
I tried several settings, but could not get any 3D effect at all. It does render for the left and right eye (SBS), but it is totally flat. I checked with the depth map: it's either totally black or totally white when changing settings, nothing in between. What settings are you using?
Unread 3 December 16, 20:43   #22
syhlif32
Premium Member

Not at home today. But it is something like:

Custom map 7 or 8. Not 100% sure but it is not one of the first ones
Near 0 and Far 4
There is a few other sliders that can give an improvements

Try the shader called Depth3D.fx
Not Superdepth_Hmd.fx as I wrote I have made my own changes to the Hmd one to work with Zbuffer based games like Gtr2
The 3D effects are not perfect but it works and I am working on getting it better.
Do be aware that Reshade is turning off access to depth Map when online! This is to prevent online cheating.
Let me know if this works for you?
Unread 4 December 16, 20:11   #23
Insert Coin

I tried Depth3D / all maps / all depths, nothing, it remains flat. I tried it on Race07 and GTR2, same result.
Can you send me your files for Reshade perhaps?
But anyway, if Reshade turns depth map off when online it is of no use to me. Or can it be turned on again somehow?
Unread 4 December 16, 22:11   #24
syhlif32
Premium Member

Even the normal superDepth_hmd.fx works
The depth map doesn't matter you have to go down below to Custom Map
Seven, eighth and ten works with different Near and Far values
Below is a link with Custom Map ten and a Far value of 40

This works with phone vr but see no reason why it would not work with any cloned display
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98j883n0gw...anced.zip?dl=0

It got everything you need default it also got HDR but you can just turn that off.
This is Reshader 3.05.160 Change the folder names so it fits yours or just use what you need.
You might have to change the distortions Horz and Vertical but that is easy as it got sliders.
Play with Custom map seven and eight too see what works best for you.

Will see if I am allowed to upload a custom version with just the settings that works well for our games.
Not sure if it gets disabled on multiplayer since it uses zbuffer not real depth maps.
Let us know when you get up running!

Last edited by syhlif32; 4 December 16 at 22:12. Reason: spelling
Unread 4 December 16, 22:56   #25
syhlif32
Premium Member

The bad news is it doesn't work like that in Race07!
With some of the Custom maps you can get 3D in the cockpit but the windscreen and beyond is one z-plane so 3D stops there.
You might want to play with driver AA and FXAA as some games open the depth map with that while other closes.
Let us know if you get something working for Race07!
Unread 6 December 16, 19:15   #26
Insert Coin

With your files I tried and tried... In GTR2 the 'depth map view' shows depth: nice gray shades from dark to light; but still I cannot see any depth in the headset. I tried several custom maps and values, but no luck, it still looks flat in the headset.
In Race07 it is as you say: no depth visible in the 'depth map view' beyond the windscreen.
AA should be turned off, or the depth isn't working at all (that was my mistake in the beginning).
Using TriDef it is really beautiful: good quality 3D depth, even in Race 07. I will stick to that for now.
Thanks for your help!
Unread 7 December 16, 13:13   #27
syhlif32
Premium Member

A shame since it is free open software.
I played a lot with settings last night and sometimes I also got flat 3D despite good gray scale. Driver setting are changing how 3D works with the Reshade/SuperDepth.

Won't play more with it before I get my new headset next week.
Goof to know Tridef does a good job, thanks.
Unread 22 December 16, 00:20   #28
TheIronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert Coin View Post
With your files I tried and tried... In GTR2 the 'depth map view' shows depth: nice gray shades from dark to light; but still I cannot see any depth in the headset. I tried several custom maps and values, but no luck, it still looks flat in the headset.
In Race07 it is as you say: no depth visible in the 'depth map view' beyond the windscreen.
AA should be turned off, or the depth isn't working at all (that was my mistake in the beginning).
Using TriDef it is really beautiful: good quality 3D depth, even in Race 07. I will stick to that for now.
Thanks for your help!
Hi, I am curious how TriDef works. Is it possible to zoom out menu using keyboard or mouse? I checked their descriptions and they seem to be quite different from vorpX, so it would be interesting to explore. However, there's no mention of zoom in/out. Without that, I am wondering how to use game menu and then race?

Last edited by TheIronWolf; 22 December 16 at 17:10.
Unread 22 December 16, 11:58   #29
PSOnTheRoad
Banned for duplicate accounts

wow...I would really love to try this. Still waiting to get my hands on some VR equipment so will hopefully be able to check it out in the new year!
PSOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 December 16, 17:05   #30
TheIronWolf

Yes, it is pretty awesome stuff, even using vorpX (no native support). I recently had health issue and took a break from Oculus and played on TV a bit. While image on TV is much better, once I jumped back to Oculus this week it was very good compared to playing without it. Ability to look around, and not seeing environment around you is really great. Also, it feels like you are wearing a helmet Can't wait for native support in rF2.
Unread 23 December 16, 15:03   #31
syhlif32
Premium Member

I bought a OSVR HDK2 while it was one Cyper Monday sale for $299. Picked in up in Florida last week.
It is a lot harder to get up running as it is not a consumer product but after a couple of days of fiddling it works great.
In SteamVr it works like a Vive HMD just with one lighthouse.
With none-Vr games like Gtr2 it is both frustrating and rewarding at the same time.

Does take some fiddling with files and setup to get anything running and screen res is lower than most of us are used too.
That said after a few seconds running I do not pay attention to that anymore. The immersive factor is really great.
I have fiddled with Phone-Vr a lot. But the lag even with AC-wifi is just killing the experience.

Testing Tridef, Iz3D and Reshade with SuperDepth All 3 works well and have different advantages and disadvantages. Haven't tried Vorpx yet .

In order to make the best out of Vr you need to upgrade to Win 10!. I did not want to do that but SteamVr just works much better with Dx11.1 which is not supported on Win 7.
For running the none-VR programs in extended mode Win 7 is fine.

I have newer enjoyed AC and that did not change in VR. Been enjoying doing a few hotlaps in Pcars. And it is good in VR but very poorly optimized so only runs well in low settings.

GTR2 runs great, with down sampling it looks good enough for me but operating the menus isn't great.
With Iz3d and Reshade/SuperDepth you can activate a correct cursor.
To really enjoy GTR2 a new menu for VR would be great.

Like TheIronWolf I got a old monitor that accept strange screen resolutions so are using 1620 x 1800 for now.
With Reshade/SuperDepth I can select a key to activate/ and deactivate 3D which makes the whole menu thing much easier.
Unread 24 December 16, 06:12   #32
TheIronWolf

Congratulations on your purchase, exciting Figuring things out is interesting to some people, so I hope you'll have fun

Is it possible to zoom out in a menu using TriDef? I have nvidia driver crashes with rF2 and vorpX, and wondering if I should try TriDef. I know there's demo, but before I jump in (and spend a lot of time figuring out how it works) I want to make sure old menus can be used by zooming out.
I agree with you on AC. I bought it just to support devs and don't like it at all. It is pretty much pCars without weather, but with better FFB and modding support. To me, it doesn't come close to rF2 (or even GTR2/rF1) in the depth of autosport simulation.

Last edited by TheIronWolf; 24 December 16 at 06:25.
Unread 24 December 16, 16:39   #33
syhlif32
Premium Member

I do have fun with it. But in between it drives me nuts
Do not believe you can zoom in and out with Tridef but there is a 14 days free trial.
You can combine Tridef and the reshade/ superDepth so tridef do the 3D and SuperDepth do the Polynomial Barrel Distortion.

With gtr2 I have good results running in extended mode (headset) and then duplicate displays in windows.
Osvr Hdk 2 are inverting the screen in that mode so I simple turn my VGA monitor upside down! Pretty low tech solution

You can turn off the 3D SBS with a key. Or just use the build in cursor.
Unread 24 December 16, 21:05   #34
TheIronWolf

Just curious, when you are in TriDef and in menu, and you look up/down, can you see boundaries of a menu, or it stays in the center of your view? That's how it is in vorpX - it is always in center, so the only way to see boundaries is zoom in/out. However, once this is bound to keys on steering wheel it's very easy operation, and allows playing games without ever taking HMD off (unlike say AC).
Unread 26 December 16, 11:49   #35
syhlif32
Premium Member

Sorry had to put the headset away as we got small kids visiting for Christmas.

it stays centered so you can't see the corners of the screen in the headset.

With Reshade/ SuperDepth I can turn 3D on/off with a keystroke.
You can also insert a back border around the screen and lower the height of the image in order to see the complete menu.
Have not played much with that as I do the cloning of the display to a old monitor.

A couple of years ago I had Glovepie setup so I could use verbal commands to operate games.
The advantage was you don't need a keyboard and can keep the hands on the wheel.
Unread 5 February 18, 10:29   #36
andrea1978

I've read many post about VR and GTR2 but still not clear to me some critical point:

1) GTR2 needs to be run in a 5:4 or so resolution (ie. 960 x 1080). Ok, this res can be obtained with nvidia but how about image quality? I usually play at 1920 x 1080, thus the 960 x 1080 (per eye) seems the same... but I read many post about low res: what is you experience?

2) Vorpx seems the best solution for playing but it works with reshade/gemfx?

3) finally, I'm interested just in GTR2, but I don't want to buy a VR just to play a low-res/no effect version of it!

Thanks.
andrea1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 February 18, 11:31   #37
syhlif32
Premium Member

It is not really low resolution!
The rift and Vive got 1080 x 1200 per eye. which is 2160 X 1200.
Off course you are much closer to the screen in VR so yes it will look like lower resolution.
For me everything close up like cockpits looks great while track details in the background gets a little blurred.
But that is that same for all games in Vr.
If you select an aspect ration of 5:4 you
get something that fits close enough with the headsets aspect ration.
Vorpx is not the best solution in my opinion it might be the easiest. But I do not find the 3D to be particular good.
I got a HDK 2 headset and bought a Lenovo WindowsMr headset which I should get this week.
For me the best 3D is from Tridef in true stereo after that Reshade 3D depth-Map based shader.
The later got the best performance but also requires some more fiddling.

You can also now use Opentrack to send headset position and movements from OpenVr to the game (gtr2).
When i get the old simbin games to run stable in WindowMR headset I will make a new write-up.
Unread 5 February 18, 23:56   #38
TheIronWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea1978 View Post
I've read many post about VR and GTR2 but still not clear to me some critical point:

1) GTR2 needs to be run in a 5:4 or so resolution (ie. 960 x 1080). Ok, this res can be obtained with nvidia but how about image quality? I usually play at 1920 x 1080, thus the 960 x 1080 (per eye) seems the same... but I read many post about low res: what is you experience?

2) Vorpx seems the best solution for playing but it works with reshade/gemfx?

3) finally, I'm interested just in GTR2, but I don't want to buy a VR just to play a low-res/no effect version of it!

Thanks.
1) I've ran 1600x1800 (8:9 is most effecient resolution). It looks no worse than rF2 with native resolution.

2) not tried that.

3) IMHO, problem is not resolution. In vorpx, bump sharpenning to max, and use high resolution in game, crispyness is no worse than native titles. The real problem is _tracking_. It is not smooth and feels stepped. But it is bearable. I wouldn't call VR support the reason I don't play GTR2, it is playable in VR, but that's just my opinion of course

However, don't expect native VR experience. With vorpx what you get is mouse look in headset, with some fake 3D regeneration, ie your head does not move in space forward/backward etc.
Unread 6 February 18, 13:50   #39
jacki

Does this goes with the Playstation 4 / PS VR Headset and GTR2 or GT Legends on PC / Notebook the games in VR too ?

I ask onyl so ,but good to know for the Future
At the Moment i have onyl a older Notebook / Netbook but for the future this where nice when this work when i have a compatible Gamer PC / Gamer Notebook

Love on PS4 these games but this have there not PS VR Support:
Assetto Corsa
Project Cars 1 + 2

greetings,jacki
jacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 February 18, 16:45   #40
TheIronWolf

I'd like to clarify all my hints are about Oculus CV1 + vorpx. I don't know how other headset/VR driver combinations work. it sounds like Syhlif32 got good results with other software and HMD
Unread 8 February 18, 11:08   #41
syhlif32
Premium Member

There are a lot of different was to get old games to work in VR.
And while it is getting better none of them are working perfectly.

As I understand the PS VR headset can work as a display so yes you can use reshade for lens distortion and SBS 3D. Have no idea how well it will work.
Add an Edtracker for head movement and you are all set.

For new I think the best solutions are to get everything to work in OpenVR. I do not know if the PS VR works with OpenVR?

On my VR entry level computer I can run PC2 on low settings in VR.
But can run GTR2/ GTL and Race 07 with everything on max, in real 3D Tridef stereo with lens distortion, HDR and OA from Reshade.
I use Virtual Desktop as screen and Opentrack for head movements.
Takes some more fiddling to set up and to operate than games designed for VR.
But you do not need a killer PC to use VR.
Unread 12 February 18, 21:25   #42
andrea1978

Quote:
1)On my VR entry level computer I can run PC2 on low settings in VR.
But can run GTR2/ GTL and Race 07 with everything on max, in real 3D Tridef stereo with lens distortion, HDR and OA from Reshade.

2)I use Virtual Desktop as screen
What are the spec of your PC? What about experience with VD? Is it totally immersive in the car or you see a big screen within a virtual room?
Unread 12 February 18, 23:32   #43
syhlif32
Premium Member

My sim computer is a i5 6600 @ 4.6 ghz and a gtx 970.
But I am currently also playing with it on a i5 3.3 ghz and a hd 7870 and that runs it ok too. Just take longer to start up but can keep +90 fps

I got a Hdk 2 headset which is fine except the tracking drift off after some time.
Not recommended as they likely will never get tracking to work 100%

It got like the Vive headset an option for running in extended mode.
Where it behaves be a normal monitor.
You can get an immersive experience with that using Reshade or Tridef or both for for the 3D.

But I have ordered a Windows Mixed Reality headset so are playing around with getting the same experience in OpenVR/ SteamVR.
It can be done but is a lot harder to setup.
You have to find the same fov in both the game and the screen. Which have to be close in so it fills the HMD but the same time you also want the cockpit to appear in the right size and your viewpoint to be in the right place too.
And the tracking to sync up too.
When you get it right is is a very good experience.
If you like the old simbin games on a monitor you will like them even more in VR.

When I get a 100% simple working solution I will publish it here.
Unread 13 February 18, 08:19   #44
SpinDoctor1

3D gaming is such a different "world" than 2D gaming. I'd rather have 2005 graphics in 1080P if using 3D than 2018 graphics in 4k using 2D. Once you go 3D, you cannot go back to 2D. It's that good.

3D is real life, 2D is looking at a piece of paper.

3D gaming (for me, via Nvidia 3D Vision 2) has made the biggest impact to video gaming for me...ever - right up there with buying my first wheel/pedals/sim 15-ish years ago.

P.S. For anyone wondering, 3D gaming is much better than 3D movies. Don't judge 3D gaming by your 3d movies experience.

Quote:
Be aware that nether Race07 nor any of the gmotor2 based games got a real depth map so it is kind of fake 3D.
That is incorrect. GMotor has true 3D and is amazing in 3D.

RFactor 2 and GT Legends even have the highest Nvidia 3D Vision rating: "3D Vision Ready" while GTR2, Race07, and Game Stock Car have the second highest rating: "excellent."
I play all ISI based sims with Nvidia 3D Vision (3D Vision 2 kit) + triple screens + proper or lowered FOV + Track IR and it's absolutely amazing.

A bonus is, for some reason, SLI scaling is around 100% perfect when playing all those games in 3D (including RF2) even for the games that have bad or broken SLI in 2D.

For Nvidia 3D Vision users, make sure to enable the "convergence" hotkeys in the Nvidia Control Panel 3D "advanced" settings which adjust "pop out." Convergence is just as important as depth in getting the true 3D experience.

Last edited by SpinDoctor1; 13 February 18 at 10:09.
SpinDoctor1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 February 18, 14:02   #45
andrea1978

Quote:
My sim computer is a i5 6600 @ 4.6 ghz and a gtx 970.
But I am currently also playing with it on a i5 3.3 ghz and a hd 7870 and that runs it ok too. Just take longer to start up but can keep +90 fps

I got a Hdk 2 headset which is fine except the tracking drift off after some time.
Not recommended as they likely will never get tracking to work 100%

It got like the Vive headset an option for running in extended mode.
Where it behaves be a normal monitor.
You can get an immersive experience with that using Reshade or Tridef or both for for the 3D.

But I have ordered a Windows Mixed Reality headset so are playing around with getting the same experience in OpenVR/ SteamVR.
It can be done but is a lot harder to setup.
You have to find the same fov in both the game and the screen. Which have to be close in so it fills the HMD but the same time you also want the cockpit to appear in the right size and your viewpoint to be in the right place too.
And the tracking to sync up too.
When you get it right is is a very good experience.
If you like the old simbin games on a monitor you will like them even more in VR.

When I get a 100% simple working solution I will publish it here.
Thank you for info, very useful. I'll look for your "GTR2-VR" guide.

A final question: you said that "It got like the Vive headset an option for running in extended mode. Where it behaves be a normal monitor". So the VR headseat just extend the monitor (in 2D, but you convert it via external software) in "front of your eyes"?

But do you see a frame in which the screen is extended (but you also see outside the frame, a sort of empty space with the screen in the middle) or the extende image totally fill your field of vision like usual VR?

Thank you very much for your time.
Unread 13 February 18, 22:24   #46
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
That is incorrect. GMotor has true 3D and is amazing in 3D.
While it is amassing in 3D and I should not have called it 'kind of fake 3D' It is not true 3D!
All information of the exact position in 3 dimensions are lost as soon as the pixel is drawn!
Left is the 2D coordinates and it's position in the depth buffer.
That gives you a nice fairly precise 3D on close up objects but less accurate on the distance.
How well it looks depend on how close the used algorithm are to the programs depth buffer/map algorithm.

It is a shame that everybody gave up on 3D I still enjoy 3D gaming on my projector.

Just be aware that Sli and X-fire does not work with VR. Unless it is directly supported by the game and few if any are?
Unread 13 February 18, 23:39   #47
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
A final question: you said that "It got like the Vive headset an option for running in extended mode. Where it behaves be a normal monitor". So the VR headseat just extend the monitor (in 2D, but you convert it via external software) in "front of your eyes"?

But do you see a frame in which the screen is extended (but you also see outside the frame, a sort of empty space with the screen in the middle) or the extende image totally fill your field of vision like usual VR?
Not sure I 100% understand.
There are 2 modes to run the headsets in. Direct mode which is the normal mode for SteamVR games. In that mode it doesn't behave as a monitor. There are no picture on the display until a program is running that uses that mode ether SteamVr or like HDK it got a OSVR mode.
In extended mode it can ether work as a stand alone monitor or an extended monitor or a clone of the main monitor.
'Blueskydefende' has made a lot of shaders that takes advantage of the access to the depth buffer that Reshade gives.
He has made distortions masks that correct the lens distortion in the VR headset and also shaders that do SBS 3D as you need in VR.
He has worked very hard to make them very fast and flexible.
With that you can get a VR experience very close to PC2 and RF2 and the other VR ready race sims.
It is hard to explain VR you really have to try it!

The issue is the tracking. I use a Edtracker and opentrack and yes it is a lot of fiddling to get it right.
In direct mode with openVr/ SteamVR all headsets will work and with Opentrack supporting OpenVr doe position and movements I believe that is the way to go.
Unread 14 February 18, 08:55   #48
SpinDoctor1

Quote:
While it is amassing in 3D and I should not have called it 'kind of fake 3D' It is not true 3D!
All information of the exact position in 3 dimensions are lost as soon as the pixel is drawn!
Left is the 2D coordinates and it's position in the depth buffer.
That gives you a nice fairly precise 3D on close up objects but less accurate on the distance.
How well it looks depend on how close the used algorithm are to the programs depth buffer/map algorithm.

It is a shame that everybody gave up on 3D I still enjoy 3D gaming on my projector.
Those ISI/gmotor games don't use depth buffer, ie. "fake 3d." They use TRUE 3D.

You can tell when a game uses fake 3D because it looks like a pop-out book - as if there are different layers or steps of depth. The gmotor games, even ISI-engine games based on other graphics engines like Raceroom and Project Cars, and even non-ISI-engine based games like Assetto Corsa and iRacing all use true 3D.

Speaking of depth buffer / fake 3D, apparently SuperDepth 3D is even better than Nvidia's and AMD's fake 3D known as "Compatibility Mode" and "Power3D" respectively. People are raving about SuperDepth 3D. https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...9175/3d-vision

True 3D is still king and almost all sims, if not all, use true 3D (thank goodness). There are 3D fixes for many games here: http://helixmod.blogspot.ca/2013/10/...y-updated.html
That website is a MUST for 3D Vision players. For example, Project Cars 1 has shadow and shader issues with default Nvidia 3D Vision but with the fix on that site, it's 99% perfect. If you use the 3D Fix Manager (link below), you don't even need to go to the website to download 3D fixes; it's all done from the tool

3D Fix Manager - Application for downloading & installing 3D Vision Fixes and other features:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...iting-support/

Last edited by SpinDoctor1; 15 February 18 at 01:29.
SpinDoctor1 is online now   Reply With Quote