NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > NASCAR Racing 2003 Season

Unread 12 February 18, 03:32   #1
Guimengo
Uploader

Lightbulb Nascar Racing 2003 on Windows 8/10

Having read about some users having issues while some don't, I wanted to put together a topic where information can be shared so everyone with either Windows 8 or 10 is able to run the game. This is taken from what I have found on the internet, so if you have either Windows OS and cannot get the game to work (and it previously worked in a different operating system), try each of the following in order:
  • Install your game to a folder in your User folder or in My Documents
  • Disable Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention)
  • Run Compatibility Mode for Windows XP (right-click on .exe, go to properties, choose compatibility mode)

Additional info on DEP:
  • Remember to reboot your computer upon disabling DEP
  • You might need to turn off Secure Boot before you can disable DEP

from The Windows Club website

Starting with Windows Vista, Microsoft introduced Data Execution Prevention or DEP, a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer by monitoring programs from time to time. Monitoring ensures that running program use system memory efficiently. If there is any instance of a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, DEP notices it, closes the program and notifies you.

If you want to generally turn off DEP or Data Execution Prevention in your Windows, you can always do so, But if you need to turn off Data Execution Prevention for a particular program only, like say explorer.exe, here’s how to go about.

Turn off Data Execution Prevention for Particular Program
Open Windows Explorer. Right click This PC or Computer and choose, ‘Properties’. Then, select the ‘Advanced System settings’ option. Next, from the ‘System Properties’ window, select ‘Advanced’ tab. Choose the ‘Performance’ section now and from the new Performance Options window that appears on your computer screen, select ‘Data Execution Prevention tab’.

You will see options:
  • Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services
  • Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

Select the latter and click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the .exe file for the program, and then click Open.

This way you can disable or turn off Data Execution Prevention for Explorer too, by navigating to the C:\Windows folder and selecting explorer.exe.

Last edited by Guimengo; 12 February 18 at 16:49.
Guimengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 February 18, 03:35   #2
Guimengo
Uploader

more from The Windows Club website in case you need to fully disable DEP

We have already seen how Data Execution Prevention, a security feature can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs who try to attack Windows by attempting to execute code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs, are stopped. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files. DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you. It is as such a security feature.

While it is not recommended, you may have your reasons for wanting to disable Data Execution Prevention on your Windows computer. Lets us see how to disable DEP in Windows 10/8/7 using the bcdedit.exe tool.

Disable Data Execution Prevention
In Windows 7, type cmd in Start Search. Right click on search results ‘cmd’ and click on Run as Administrator. Windows 10/8 users can also open an elevated command prompt window via the WinX menu.

Then, copy paste the following and hit Enter:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Reboot.

You will find that Data Execution Prevention has been disable on your Windows computer. You may then, if you wish, verify the status of Data Execution Prevention feature on your system.

Enable Data Execution Prevention
To enable back DEP, type the following in an elevated command prompt and hit Enter:
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

This will enable back Data Execution Prevention.
Unread 12 February 18, 14:20   #3
rcbill28

I have tried this over and over and all I get is this is not a recognized command any ideas what I'm doing wrong? thanks
rcbill28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 February 18, 16:48   #4
Guimengo
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbill28 View Post
I have tried this over and over and all I get is this is not a recognized command any ideas what I'm doing wrong? thanks
I cannot speak for myself due to avoiding these newer OSs at all costs, only from research. Did your game work before this new OS? If so, what did you use, was it a disc, a crack, or disc image?
Unread 12 February 18, 17:36   #5
BrunoB

Quote:
Before trying anything else concerning NR2003/GTP install you HAVE to get this command to work!
And If you are unable to do that then just forget it - because either there is something wrong with your system or you are executing the command wrong.
It HAS to be executed from an ELEVATED command prompt = a prompt executed with ADMINs rights.
Use google a bit to get more info - like:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disabl...ion-prevention
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 February 18, 18:22   #6
Guimengo
Uploader

This link is one which I used for the information above. I have found what I believe to be a 100% success rate from cases I found online of people having issues, and at one point through all of the steps I listed, they were able to succeed. I posted the steps basically in order which to try.
Unread 12 February 18, 18:55   #7
rcbill28

Thanks guys ,Bruno brand new 7 install and I used admin rights so I don't know. I'm no whiz bang on this stuff so I think I'll say screw it. I have a older PC with good old xp on it and reinstall there and go racing instead of banging my head with a hammer! again thanks fellas!
Unread 12 February 18, 20:14   #8
Guimengo
Uploader

Quote:
Thanks guys ,Bruno brand new 7 install and I used admin rights so I don't know. I'm no whiz bang on this stuff so I think I'll say screw it. I have a older PC with good old xp on it and reinstall there and go racing instead of banging my head with a hammer! again thanks fellas!
I run Windows 7 and have no issues. To avoid a bunch of problems, I recommend installing your game as in the tutorial here. I recommend the game to be installed somewhere in your User folder
Unread 13 February 18, 11:03   #9
BrunoB

Quote:
Bruno brand new 7 install and I used admin rights so I don't know. I'm no whiz bang on this stuff so I think I'll say screw it. I have a older PC with good old xp on it and reinstall there and go racing instead of banging my head with a hammer! again thanks fellas!
My guess is that you are NOT running a an ELEVATED command prompt - but instead running a normal prompt from your admin right win account.
I have made this mistake myself. If Im right then get some extra info about this ELEVATED command prompt. Its a must!

But gve your Win7 some more tries - because NR2003/GTP runs really good on that platform.
Unread 13 February 18, 12:12   #10
rcbill28

OK I may be confused about the elevated part! I'll Google and try some more. thanks brunob!
Unread 13 February 18, 12:28   #11
BrunoB

From my link above:
"Disable Data Execution Prevention
In Windows 7, type cmd in Start Search. Right click on search results ‘cmd’ and click on Run as Administrator."

Its the Right Click part my guess is you miss.
Because if you just click on the results ‘cmd’ then its not a ELEVATED prompt you get - even if your win account have adm right.
You have to RClich and then choose "run as adm" or something
Unread 13 February 18, 14:23   #12
rcbill28

Default now it goes all the way to test session click drive the screen blurs a little then ct

UNCLE! I can't make it work. I right click on admin rights type in command it says it doesn't recognize such a ridiculous command and I'm done .I've spent two days on this bull.... and no more. all other games work fine this one won't starts to load a ctd. back to easy xp for nr2003

Last edited by rcbill28; 13 February 18 at 14:48. Reason: new info
Unread 13 February 18, 16:51   #13
BrunoB

OK I think I understand your frustration.
But if we take a positive and humorous approach then you are so extremely fortunate to own the only Win7 in the world(!) that dont acknowledge the cmd (or is it bcdedit) command.

Bytheway: WinXP does run this game just as good
Unread 13 February 18, 17:19   #14
rcbill28

Its the bcdedit Brunob and yes frustration is good word.I don't know what else to try and really hate giving up.I do thank you for the help though without others willing to help I wouldn't be as far long with this as I am.
Unread 14 February 18, 11:04   #15
BrunoB

Both of the two "commands" (cmd.exe + bcdedit.exe) is actually just some individual programs/apps that can be run inside the Windows platform.
I dont know if it is possible that your Win7 version for some reason or another are missing these apps.
But your decicion to move on (hehe or move back ) is quite understandable.
Enough is enough - as we say.

Im not fully sure but I think I have seen that without disabling DEP it is possible to run the basic NR2003 - its only the GTP mod (and maybe some other mods) which creates a temp launch prog called tmp.exe to initially select 1 of the 4 cars - that the DEP dont like and therefore abort launch.
Unread 14 February 18, 12:29   #16
rcbill28

The whole thing is curious. I reinstalled to xp last night and all is well.and I would like gtp and others to go back on.I was just trying to get stock nr03 going on 7 hadn't even got close to adding anything.Again thanks for the help!
Unread 14 February 18, 16:10   #17
BrunoB

You are welcome
hehe but just like Gui and a few others Im only glad to help if we can get a few more to try this famous sim out.

Bytheway: To show how good the physics is in NR2003/GTP then about 3 years ago after I had practiced for a month and participated in the Brazilian online GTP race mentioned above I returned to iceRacing and the Lotus 79 (my favorite then).
But the change from the GTP Sauber to the Lotus was a huge disappointment.
Where the Sauber had something "fresh" and joyfull in the behaviour then the Lotus 79 was "dull", sluggerish and depressing to drive. It was just like the lotus reaction was lagging where the Sauber had been instantly reacting.

I described my disappointment in the iceRacing forum but a lot of people got rather annoyed