NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Other PC racing titles

Unread 26 January 09, 12:06   #1
trigger1984

Default Grand Prix 4 Love Hate Relationship

Got this game just before christmas and its been an obsession ever since. Through all the crap its given me (CTDs, blue screen of death etc) it' still a great game when you get to play it. The AI is still the best I think I've driven against in any game. I thought I finally had it running smoothly the other week, had two amazing race sin a 50% championship. The next day come back and as I load the computer thought it would be funny if after everything it didn't work. Haha guess what it wouldn't load past a black screen! Nearly had a brake down. Then, remembering the great racing I gave it another shot. Luckily I remembered to put my save game to one side so I could continue it and the race I had at Spain made everything worth while.

It's the little things in this game that give every race a story. Qualified 4th and got a great start running up the inside of Schumacher and then getting Hakkinen in turn 3. He chased me for lap after lap and finally blitzed me just before the pitstops. After pitting he was pulling away but got held up by a yet-to-pit Villeuneve. Then I made a pretty controversial move as poor old Jacques pulled over on the main straight. Next time around yellow flags were out and Hakkinen slowed up to pass Jacques stricken car. I kept on it and got right on the back of Hakkinen and as soon as the green flag showed nailed him into the first corner. Unfortunately he was just too fast and got me a few laps later. I settled for 2nd but after some scruffy laps Panis appeared from nowhere and even had the cheek to take me and pull a small margin. Then news that Hakkinen was out with transmission failure so this was a fight for the win. There's a huge plume of smoke up ahead and I kind of hope it's Panis but as I approach I see it's unlucky Webber with an engine on fire. By now just 3 laps to go and I kept pulling up to the back of Panis, making a rash move and falling behind again. On the last lap I followed him real close and half way round we came across Button at the hairpin. Panis braved it round the outside but I had nowhere to go and lost all chance of taking Panis, needless to say I gave Button the virtual two fingers. lol.On to the A1 ring with me level on points with Schumacher and Hakkinen not far behind.

Hope you enjoyed this little story. If anyones interested I had another two great races at Sepang and Brazil. My advice is to not buy GP4. It will suck you in and ruin your life. Now I am biting my nails everytime I play that it will run. If it does mess up again I am going to have to burn the disc so that it can not run my life anymore!
trigger1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 January 09, 12:38   #2
hoboholic
Hobo strikes again!

And if you do want GP4
I'll sell mine on Ebay

LOL

I also suffered alot of troubles with GP4, so I went back to F1 Challenge

But I loved this quote
Quote:
There's a huge plume of smoke up ahead and I kind of hope it's Panis but as I approach I see it's unlucky Webber with an engine on fire.
How realistic is this game eh?
Even manages to get the drivers Luck rating right
Poor old Webber
hoboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 January 09, 12:47   #3
mstrazz

any idea where the most recent mods are for this, i may be inspired to find it and play it again!
mstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 January 09, 12:54   #4
trigger1984

Hey mstrazz, good luck if you do decide to try again. I haven't risked trying mods yet but there is quite a big community at grandprixgames.org with lots of info on mods. Also gp4db.com has a lot of mods including the utilities like gpxpatch which you'll probably need. I think 2006 is the most recent season they have but there is also work on going for 2008.

Is f1 challenge more stable then Hobo? I might give it a try but last time I looked I think it was pretty hard to find
Unread 26 January 09, 13:21   #5
mstrazz

Thanks trigger. i'm feeling the pinch of being between F1 seasons ATM, and unfortunately there's barely any news on it in oz.
I only just got my F1 2008 mod to work in GTR evo today, and the crashing glitch drives me nuts

i'll have a look around for those mods
mstrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 January 09, 00:58   #6
hoboholic
Hobo strikes again!

I didn't bother with mods...
You have to install like...6 different patches for it to work...not worth it

F1 Challenge is alto mroe stable, never had troubles opening it up and lots of mods to choose from without the silly patches GP4 requires...
hoboholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 January 09, 01:25   #7
salvasirignano
Premium Member

It's a beautiful game graphically, I spent ages tinkering with the 1997 mod, camera positions etc, and it's awesome how you can change the cc's pit stop strategies and failures, performances easily, amongst other things.
But the physics....
I have never ever in my time playing GP4 had to correct a slide.
If you turn off TC, then sure, you can slide it a bit in the corners, but the rear end at higher speed never gently breaks away from you
Out of nostalgia, I put it on just now. Slected Fisi in the 97 Jordan, changed the camera and... CTD

Last edited by salvasirignano; 27 January 09 at 01:42.
salvasirignano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 January 09, 09:01   #8
trigger1984

I feel your pain!

I know what you mean, it is pretty safe to drive. I have been sliding it, though it needs particular types of corner to pull off it seems. The AI makes it worthwhile however, I mean even today I don't feel there is true AI in most games, sure they don't stay on line if it means a collision but they don't do anything above and beyond. I love how they move across to cover the inside, then if you follow real close and brake early you can watch as they lock up and run wide allowing you to shoot up the inside. I could just sit and watch the AI do battle sometimes.

I looked up f1 challenge but I haven't seen it for less than about 25 at the moment! Looks to be pretty rare. By the way I'm no expert and you've probably tried everything there is but if anyone wants I'll post up how I got it to run at least with less CTDs.
Unread 27 January 09, 09:37   #9
gazman
Banned

I have this game , bought it about 2 years ago.It has always loaded for me but I have never got the pedals to work . Momo and G25

Last edited by gazman; 27 January 09 at 10:23.
gazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 January 09, 22:53   #10
logos

trigger1984, if you want a sim with a similar AI as GP4, try Virtual Grand Prix 3. It's still in development, but even in the current stage is an amazing open wheel sim. The VGP3 physics and FFB are comparable to NetKar Pro, and the AI is much better than any ISI Gmotor based sim. There is a demo here: http://www.vgp3.com/

As for GP4, I am playing it from time to time without any problems. If you are on Vista, you should disable the UAC and start the game as an Administrator.
logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 January 09, 10:21   #11
trigger1984

Thanks logos, I am on XP, I've had a good few races now with no problems thank goodness so I think I finally have it sorted, at least for the time being.

I've heard VGP3 mentioned before. Just had a look and it certainly looks to be heading in a good direction. Like you say it is work in progress but I guess even at 15 your paying for any future developments. I'll give the demo a go and if it really takes me I might invest.
Unread 28 January 09, 10:39   #12
lee1971
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrazz View Post
any idea where the most recent mods are for this, i may be inspired to find it and play it again!
Theres some gp4 mods over at my site, click my sig for the link
lee1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 January 09, 10:40   #13
salvasirignano
Premium Member

I love VGP3, give it a try guys
Unread 19 February 09, 23:59   #14
xxCorsairxx

Yeah.. GP4 is certainly a game that you can love and loathe in equal measures.

The CTD`s and blue screens can be infuriating especially if you have done 30/40 laps without saving. Monaco is a track that seems to be really prone to locking up.

Thankfully the racing is really good..you never really know whats going to happen lap from lap.In some games racing against the AI can feel like your competing with mindless drones but in GP4 it dosent feel like that.Sure sometimes there can be perfect but they do make mistakes and suffer from car breakdowns.
xxCorsairxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 February 09, 15:29   #15
Siggs

Well, because of this, i decided to whip out my copy of GP4, and give it one last shot.

But I am utterly baffled when it comes to the modding of this game, it is rather complicated...I have the latest GPxPatch in there, and CSM ready to go, but all the required files I find to be utterly scattered across the interwebs. :/

And having been an rF player for the majority of my sim-time, going to GP4 seems rather odd, the physics seem a bit disconnected from the road. It's very hard to put a finger on...

Still, it looks like it could be great fun, the AI being good an all, but I wondering if it's worth the effort setting it up, graphically, carsets, etc. I'm already having problems and crashes, just trying to get it into native res of my widescreen :/

Any replies would be great, thx guys
Siggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 February 09, 17:27   #16
Siggs

OK, obviously not
Unread 26 February 09, 18:03   #17
salvasirignano
Premium Member

Oops sorry, I have only just seen your post!
Righto, firstly you must visit here
www.grandprixgames.org
It has everything you need to know, and more!
In a nutshell CSM mods can be run on a clean install of your GP4.
The files structure is different to ISI sims in that there is only room for 22 cars, no more.
What CSM can do is, (if you run any CSM mod)swap the 01 season cars, menus, performances etc for those of your mod, and then when you exit it resets the files back to your base install.
It allows you to have only one install of GP4 but play several seasons.
I myself prefer an install for each season I have

Gpx patch is a great util!
First, get yourself the no-cd patch. If you start Gp4 through GPX patch it allows you to play with different TV overlays to suit your mods, allows you to swap between different physics files, swap the track order etc.
There is also teameditor3.2b which allows you to edit performance files TV camera positions driver names etc.
there is also tweaker which allows you to edit cameras etc live in-game, so you can see the changes you are making.
As for your resolution problem, open the f1graphics.cfg file in your install, and edit the second and third lines to your desired resolution. (I think that works)
You may need to set the top line to 1 IIRC for that to work.
So yeah a world of faffing about awaits, but for me anyways a tarted up GP4 looks as good as anything else.
Unread 26 February 09, 18:21   #18
Siggs

Thanks man! I'll get on all that sometime, mush appretiated
Unread 13 March 09, 14:11   #19
lee1971
Uploader

click my sig for link to our site, we have lots of gp4 stuff
lee1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 December 09, 00:21   #20
frapp

I love GP4 - still the absolute best F1 drive. With no aids on and depending on the mod, these cars have loads of grip, loads of grip, loads of grip and...OH $#!^! it will snap away. But, if you have Alonso hands, you can bring it back. Seems pretty darn realistic to me. I seem to remember that Geoff and the Crammandian team worked closely with the Arrows Team during the development process. It can be a pain in the...drivers seat, but definately worth the effort. I recently reinstalled GP4 and and haven't even thought about driving anything else. Don't be fooled by the loads of grip thing - you can find the limit real easy if you are on the edge. I would urge anyone interested to give it a look/second look.

Have fun,

FraPP!!!
frapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 18, 21:32   #21
bloodycut

http://gp4edit.forumgalaxy.com/index.php

This is new site for GP4 editing etc. This is not spamming!
bloodycut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 May 18, 16:28   #22
nezeiges
Uploader

Very interested but can not register.

Edit: Can not register with Firefox
Can register with Google Chrome

Last edited by nezeiges; 14 May 18 at 16:52.
nezeiges is offline   Reply With Quote