NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Unread 27 April 18, 18:17   #1
newbert

Default Recommend a New Screen For Me?

Because I'm getting tired of moving my simming gear into and out of the living room (in order to use it with the family TV), I've decided to set it up in a spare bedroom instead. So, now I need a new screen to be used with it. My only requirement is that it's no wider (horizontal dimension) than 38-40 inches, and that I can hook-up speakers to it without going thru a separate audio system.

My PC system specs are: Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, HDMI, Windows 10

My question is: Computer Monitor or TV? (This will be used exclusively for simming). What specs should I be looking for (or avoiding), and would anyone have any specific recommendations (Make, Model, etc).

I run most of the popular sims such as iRacing, PCars 2, AC, Automobilista, RRE3 etc.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! I don't need bargain basement, but don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks.
newbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 April 18, 21:29   #2
syhlif32
Premium Member

I got this one.
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34U...rawide-monitor

Really happy with it. No speakers only headset jack out. Sometimes there are good deals on them. Do not think the curve is very important but just a nice little feature.
While UW are great for Race sims it is not that great for flight sims.

This one here takes even less space up and the display is much larger. Also cheaper!
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...%3aoverviewtab

Ok not for everybody but really great for both race and flight sims.
syhlif32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 April 18, 22:39   #3
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbert View Post
Because I'm getting tired of moving my simming gear into and out of the living room (in order to use it with the family TV), I've decided to set it up in a spare bedroom instead. So, now I need a new screen to be used with it. My only requirement is that it's no wider (horizontal dimension) than 38-40 inches, and that I can hook-up speakers to it without going thru a separate audio system.

My PC system specs are: Intel i5-7400 Processor, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 3GB NVIDIA GTX 1060 Graphics, HDMI, Windows 10

My question is: Computer Monitor or TV? (This will be used exclusively for simming). What specs should I be looking for (or avoiding), and would anyone have any specific recommendations (Make, Model, etc).

I run most of the popular sims such as iRacing, PCars 2, AC, Automobilista, RRE3 etc.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! I don't need bargain basement, but don't want to break the bank either.

Thanks.
38-40 inches for horizontal size means that the biggest screen you can have is a 43'' screen (usually around 39 inches horizontal size if regular widescreen, 16:9 format).

TV or Monitor depends more on versatility than anything.
TVs always have an output slot for "headphones", same for most modern PC monitors (gaming ones at least). If you're able use your speakers on it depends if they're the stereo type that uses single headphone jack.
Overall, TVs are fine, but they usually lack some specs that are found in PC monitors, such as lower latencies, as well as certain resolutions and refresh-rates.
If the intent is just to play PC games, then perhaps it's best to consider a PC monitor.

Now, as for better choices, opinions will vary and you'll get different takes.
Some will say:
  • "...go for a 4K monitor or TV...."
    I would not recommend it, as it requires higher-end hardware (than yours) to be fully enjoyed.
    Also, while 4K (i.e, 3840 × 2160 native resolution) can be good looking, it is a tad limited. The maximum refresh-rate you'll get is 60Hz.
    Yes, you can get one and play at 1440P or 1080P, but then it'll look a tad blurry (only makes sense at the (demanding) native resolution).

• "...go for an ultrawide (21:9) monitor...."
    Very popular lately for PC gaming, though I personally dislike it.
    To me it'll always looks like a squashed monitor (like someone chopped the top third of a screen), I just can not get used to it.
    Can also be a problem for older games that were not designed for (and won't recognize) this screen format. Unless you like previous-gen games with black borders on the sides, that is...

• "...go for a 144Hz monitor (1080P or 1440P)...."
    Now this to me is, perhaps, the best choice. If you never experienced one of these with a game running at full speed (+120 fps), then you don't know what you're missing.
    Once you have a game running at 120+ Frames Per Second on such monitor, it's amazingly fluid and smooth, and very natural regarding image motion on screen. It is, to put it simple, effing great!

• "...go for a curved 1440p monitor...."
    Another trending format that I find myself struggling to get used to, but can understand the allure.

You first need to decide which way to go, then consider the options in the specific segment.

IMHO, if you're not restricted by budget, then I'd say to consider the biggest screen possible (again, 43'' maximum if regular widescreen) with native 1440P resolution and 144Hz refresh-rate.
The problem will be finding one with more than 32'' screen size, with such specs.

Gaming at 1440P (i.e, 2560x1440 resolution) and 144Hz refresh-rate should be fine with your PC hardware. With that said, be aware that PCars (being the hardware resource hog it is) may demand more muscle to run at very high framerate (120+ fps), especially if at high(est) graphic settings.

In my personal case, I'm always limited by budget, so I still consider the 1080P 60Hz LED TVs as extremely valid choices, and very affordable. You'll find plenty in 40'' and 43'' screen sizes available from either LG or Samsung (the best brands to get for TVs at lower prices).
They have been good enough for me, image still good (IMHO), especially if using downsampling (the DSR options in Nvidia panel control), to play games at higher resolutions than native one.
But then I can understand those in disagreement, as this is not the "premium" choice for PC gaming.

Last edited by DucFreak; 28 April 18 at 01:02.
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 April 18, 23:01   #4
bob gnarley

With that rig I think you should be capable of running triple 1080 screens.

I managed to pick up a couple of extra screens (only 24' due to space) last year and the best way I can describe the experience is that it was like someone had finally taken the blinkers off. Peripheral vision adds hugely to the immersion!

A good VR headset takes things to yet another level, though someone with experience would need to give advice on minimum system specs needed.

If you choose a single monitor, as you have an Nvidia card, it would be worth considering a "G-Sync" enabled monitor. Amd uses a similar system called "Freesync" and having tried it I wouldn't want to be without it. Both systems reduce stutters and screen tearing at little or no extra cost to the gpu.

Linky with examples of G_Sync monitors...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/monit...Page=1&sSort=3

(sorry Luc, you beat me to it, also I should read more thoroughly!)

Last edited by bob gnarley; 27 April 18 at 23:32.
bob gnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 April 18, 01:05   #5
newbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
I got this one.

Really happy with it. No speakers only headset jack out. Sometimes there are good deals on them. Do not think the curve is very important but just a nice little feature.

This one here takes even less space up and the display is much larger. Also cheaper!

Hmmm....That LG monitor looks pretty slick. Still reading thru all the reviews. So, what's the drawback wrt flight sims?
Unread 28 April 18, 01:07   #6
newbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
38-40 inches for horizontal size means that the biggest screen you can have is a 43'' screen (usually around 39 inches horizontal size if regular widescreen, 16:9 format).

TV or Monitor depends more on versatility than anything.
TVs always have an output slot for "headphones", same for most modern PC monitors (gaming ones at least). If you're able use your speakers on it depends if they're the stereo type that uses single headphone jack.
Overall, TVs are fine, but they usually lack some specs that are found in PC monitors, such as lower latencies, as well as certain resolutions and refresh-rates.
If the intent is just to play PC games, then perhaps it's best to consider a PC monitor.

Now, as for better choices, opinions will vary and you'll get different takes.
Some will say:
  • "...go for a 4K monitor or TV...."
    I would not recommend it, as it requires higher-end hardware (than yours) to be fully enjoyed.
    Also, while 4K (i.e, 3840 × 2160 native resolution) can be good looking, it is a tad limited. The maximum refresh-rate you'll get is 60Hz.
    Yes, you can get one and play at 1440P or 1080P, but then it'll look a tad blurry (only makes sense at the (demanding) native resolution).

• "...go for an ultrawide (21:9) monitor...."
    Very popular lately for PC gaming, though I personally dislike it.
    To me it'll always looks like a squashed monitor (like someone chopped the top third of a screen), I just can not get used to it.
    Can also be a problem for older games that were not designed for (and won't recognize) this screen format. Unless you like previous-gen games with black borders on the sides, that is...

• "...go for a 144Hz monitor (1080P or 1440P)...."
    Now this to me is, perhaps, the best choice. If you never experienced one of these with a game running at full speed (+120 fps), then you don't know what you're missing.
    Once you have a game running at 120+ Frames Per Second on such monitor, it's amazingly fluid and smooth, and very natural regarding image motion on screen. It is, to put it simple, effing great!

• "...go for a curved 1440p monitor...."
    Another trending format that I find myself struggling to get used to, but can understand the allure.

You first need to decide which way to go, then consider the options in the specific segment.

IMHO, if you're not restricted by budget, then I'd say to consider the biggest screen possible (again, 43'' maximum if regular widescreen) with native 1440P resolution and 144Hz refresh-rate.
The problem will be finding one with more than 32'' screen size, with such specs.

Gaming at 1440P (i.e, 2560x1440 resolution) and 144Hz refresh-rate should be fine with your PC hardware. With that said, be aware that PCars (being the hardware resource hog it is) may demand more muscle to run at very high framerate (120+ fps), especially if at high(est) graphic settings.

In my personal case, I'm always limited by budget, so I still consider the 1080P 60Hz LED TVs as extremely valid choices, and very affordable. You'll find plenty in 40'' and 43'' screen sizes available from either LG or Samsung (the best brands to get for TVs at lower prices).
They have been good enough for me, image still good (IMHO), especially if using downsampling (the DSR options in Nvidia panel control), to play games at higher resolutions than native one.
But then I can understand those in disagreement, as this is not the "premium" choice for PC gaming.
Wow - Great Info, Thanks! Lots to chew thru here. Do you have any specific models to recommend?
Unread 28 April 18, 02:04   #7
DucFreak

Quote:
Wow - Great Info, Thanks! Lots to chew thru here. Do you have any specific models to recommend?
Depends on your budget limit, what is the prefered format (ultrawide-screen or regular wide-screen) and prefered resolution (4K, 1440P, 1080P, etc).
As said, you first need to decide which way to go, then consider the options in the specific segment.

I agree with bob gnarley that, you'd be better served getting a monitor with GSync since you have an Nvidia graphics-card. Being a technology/feature that only works with Nvidia graphics-cards, it also makes the monitors with it a tad more expensive. But it's worth it if you value the technology and intend to get again an Nvidia graphics-card in the future.

If you have a good budget to spend on the PC monitor, then this is among the best: LG 32GK850G

It's expensive, at over 750,00 Euros/Dollars, but it's among the few regular widescreen 32'' (quite big for a PC monitor) that you'll find with all these good features combined (1440P, 144Hz, Gsync, and nice VA panel). In fact, I can't seem to find any other with all these features combined.
I recently tried it and was so impressed that I even considered one for myself (then I saw the price $$$$$$$).

Yes, at almost a third of the price you can get a decent 40'' 1080P 60Hz LED TV, which will certainly do the job, but then it's not really the same quality and smooth image experience for PC gaming.

EDIT: Here's a video overview/review found on youtube:

Last edited by DucFreak; 28 April 18 at 04:22.
Unread 28 April 18, 02:33   #8
pistoncup
Uploader

last LG tv I bought $3.5k and it didn't last 2 years . $700 to get it fixed and died from the same thing 14 months later again, It then got taken to the rubbish dump . LG are barred forever at my place .

Last edited by pistoncup; 28 April 18 at 02:43.
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 April 18, 02:40   #9
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncup View Post
last LG tv I bought $3.5k and it didn't last 2 years . cheap ass build quality and pieces of crap.
LOL

I got an LG 32LD450 running nearly 24/7 for 8 years (also as PC monitor), and it's working today same as the first day (if not better, after correct calibration) after all these years. Go figure, eh?
Unread 28 April 18, 02:47   #10
pistoncup
Uploader

LG used to be called Goldstar .
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 April 18, 10:29   #11
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
LG used to be called Goldstar .
Not quite correct
LG was the result of the merger between Lucky and Goldstar.

I got a freesync monitor and a Nvidia GPU. I might be missing something but are very happy with the combination.
Before I had a +60hz monitor I doubted very much if it made a difference. But it does big time.
While mine is 144hz you stop noticing differences somewhere between 90-100hz.
I tried out 4K TV's and while very impressive there are a couple of things that are an disadvantage.
Relative high Lag. Low lag Game mode are always compromised with ether color mode or even dropping color mode to 4:2:2 . Also the ones I tried all had color smear from motion blur.
On a budget I would get a 24" monitor and a VR headset.
Of the sims you listed only Automobilista doesn't have VR mode.
Unread 28 April 18, 16:31   #12
DucFreak

Quote:
Before I had a +60hz monitor I doubted very much if it made a difference. But it does big time.
While mine is 144hz you stop noticing differences somewhere between 90-100hz.
Yep, the high refresh-rate (with matching framerate) is totally worth it.
I can notice difference up untill 120Hz, but harder for me to notice it above that.

Regarding the refresh-rate available on production of monitors today, we currently have them like this:
  • 60Hz
  • 75Hz
  • 144Hz
  • 165Hz
  • 200Hz
  • 240hz
Since 100Hz and 120Hz monitors are (AFAIK) no longer produced, we're left with a very big gap between 75Hz and 144Hz, when choosing a monitor. That's too big of a difference in refresh-rate.
I think anything above 144Hz is, quite frankly, a total waste and overkill, as only a few of those super nerds doing Esports (CS:GO and etc) will give the importance or notice that.
So, it's just better to get a 144Hz refresh monitor and be done with it (in regards to refresh-rate), especially as price difference over 75Hz is also very small now.

Quote:
I got a freesync monitor and a Nvidia GPU. I might be missing something but are very happy with the combination.
That's a good point and, yes, you may be right in that.
While GSync is a really nice feature (if you have an Nvidia GPU) it does reflect in a LOT more expensive price tag of the monitor.
Maybe newbert won't miss the lack of GSync. And if budget is a concern, then I'd say that it is better to rule it out and just get a Freesync monitor (what most seem to be doing, exactly because of the price difference).

Considering all the points in initial post by newbert, I start to think that maybe the 16:9 format curved 1440P/144hz monitors with Freesync (preferentially with VA panel) will offer him the best purchase.
They're currently the best balance of quality-vs-price, and also offer the biggest size available (32 inches) for a regular widescreen PC monitor with such specs (16:9 format, 1440P/144Hz).
BTW, if curious, a 32'' monitor is usually 31.5 inches in horizontal size.
Meaning, it fits his demands, and will be great for a good number of years and next PC upgrade.

I'd say to have a look specifically at these PC gaming monitors:

Again, the biggest size available for 16:9 WQHD monitors is 32 inches and, as such, those are the biggest 1440P/100+Hz Freesync monitors currently available which are worth looking at.
Prices for the least expensive usually start around 325,00 Euros (about $400 USD) and can go upwards of 500,00 Euros ($600 USD).

These are all very good.
Search around for prices, get the one you like the most and costs you the least.

Last edited by DucFreak; 28 April 18 at 17:12.
Unread 28 April 18, 18:51   #13
newbert

DucFreak - you must have read my mind because of all the choices regarding type that you gave me, I was indeed leaning towards curved 1440p, and the larger the better.

Thanks for the list of specific models to consider too. I looked at specs, price and reviews of each on Amazon. AOC is too small for me; The Samsung has overall rating on Amazon of under 4 stars (which is usually my threshold when it comes to ratings).

So that leaves Asus (highest overall rating (80% rate it at 5 stars), but a bit pricey at $666), Viewsonic (only 1 rating listed - but it's 5 stars) at only $418, and Viotek (Good ratings overall, but 15% give it only one star...) at $499.

So, out of these five, I feel that it's between the Asus and the Viotek. (Not enough reviews on the Viewsonic to make me comfortable with it.) The size of the Viotek's base stand may be problematic for me - so I'm leaning towards the Asus. Just wish that it was a bit cheaper.....

Decisions, Decisions....
Unread 28 April 18, 19:15   #14
DucFreak

Nice to know you're not getting more confused, and that you were already going for same route.

In regards to Amazon user scores, I would never take those ratings too serious...
The lower scores can be from angry people spamming for downvotes on anger, after the odd anomaly (which sometimes are down to user error), while the highest scores are from people easily impressable, who many times don't really know what they're rating.

Search for reviews of these monitors on specialized sites and forums (and youtube), from unbiased people who know what they're doing.

Notice that these days technology and production quality control hit stability, even at the smaller brands. Also notice that these smaller brands oftenly have models using same internal parts of bigger brands, sharing same component manufacturers.
So, while some are better than others, all these higher-end gaming monitors are very good (none is nowhere near to bad, that is guaranteed).
Unread 28 April 18, 19:17   #15
newbert

Also considering this ultra-wide display. Considerably less expensive than the Asus, but still gets great reviews. Any thoughts on it - either positive or negative?

Thanks!
Unread 28 April 18, 19:49   #16
DucFreak

That should be nice too, but you have to see if an Ultrawide is good for you.

Lots of people are happy with their (21:9 format) Ultrawide monitors (syhlif32 seems to be too), but I'm sure they'll also agree that it is not for everyone.

For example, (as I said before) in my case the Ultrawide monitors are a pass, regardless of user rates and price. It has to do with the screen format/shape in itself, nothing that can be done there - it is as it is.
To me it'll always look odd, like a squashed monitor (like someone chopped the top of the screen).

More over, if at some point you decide to install older games that were not designed for (and won't recognize) the Ultrawide 21:9 screen format, you'll either get black borders on the sides (if image centered on screen) or a stretched image (if image filling whole screen).

Also, a regular Widescreen (16:9) looks overall bigger when compared to the Ultrawide (21:9) of equivalent screen size. The sense of "more image" gets noticeable on the 16:9 screen due to the bigger vertical display.

Try to compare a 34'' 21:9 with a 32'' 16:9, see them compared in person if possible.
In generic visual terms, it's directly equivalent to this:

Another generic visual comparison: http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-32-inch-16x9

In the end, it's all down to personal preference, I guess.

Last edited by DucFreak; 28 April 18 at 21:05. Reason: added image
Unread 28 April 18, 22:33   #17
newbert

Quote:
That should be nice too, but you have to see if an Ultrawide is good for you.

Lots of people are happy with their (21:9 format) Ultrawide monitors (syhlif32 seems to be too), but I'm sure they'll also agree that it is not for everyone.

For example, (as I said before) in my case the Ultrawide monitors are a pass, regardless of user rates and price. It has to do with the screen format/shape in itself, nothing that can be done there - it is as it is.
To me it'll always look odd, like a squashed monitor (like someone chopped the top of the screen).

More over, if at some point you decide to install older games that were not designed for (and won't recognize) the Ultrawide 21:9 screen format, you'll either get black borders on the sides (if image centered on screen) or a stretched image (if image filling whole screen).

Also, a regular Widescreen (16:9) looks overall bigger when compared to the Ultrawide (21:9) of equivalent screen size. The sense of "more image" gets noticeable on the 16:9 screen due to the bigger vertical display.

Try to compare a 34'' 21:9 with a 32'' 16:9, see them compared in person if possible.
In generic visual terms, it's directly equivalent to this:

Another generic visual comparison: http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-32-inch-16x9

In the end, it's all down to personal preference, I guess.
Thanks again for your input! Other than the form factor, which I don't think will bother me, do you see any negatives about the specs?
Unread 29 April 18, 00:27   #18
DucFreak

Quote:
Thanks again for your input! Other than the form factor, which I don't think will bother me, do you see any negatives about the specs?
You mean, regarding the LG 34UC79G-B?
If so, none negatives that I can see. Specs are very good, that's a great monitor.

Now, just to throw in more indecision towards your side ()... for the same price you can get a curved 35'' Ultrawide (yes, just one more inch than the LG, but.....) with pretty much same specs as the LG 34UC79G-B (i.e, 2560x1080/144Hz), such as:

The LG 34UC79G-B is slightly more recent, being a 2017 model. You may also notice that the bezels in it are thinner (so it may look "prettier" to you), but specs wise the AOC C3583FQ is also excelent for the money. And it might not seem much but, one inch is one inch....

http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-35-inch-21x9

Last edited by DucFreak; 29 April 18 at 01:53. Reason: edit, the BenQ XR3501 was used price :-(
Unread 29 April 18, 01:55   #19
newbert

Quote:
I got this one.

I'm seriously leaning towards getting this monitor, but I'm curious what you are using with it for speakers and/or headphones.

Thanks.
Unread 3 May 18, 17:28   #20
newbert

Well, FWIW I bought the LG monitor recommended by syhlif32. I set it up this morning and am really impressed with it! Nice sharp, vibrant colors and I'm running it at highest resolution. Framerates in the sims I've tried so far (and provide FPS readings) are all well over 100.

The only minor glitch was an audio hum when connecting my speaker system to the monitor (which is connected to the PC via Displayport). So, I connected the speakers to my PC's soundcard instead and all is good.

EDIT/UPDATE: FWIW - Actually that hum was caused by not having the audio cable fully inserted into the monitor's line-out jack. Once, I figured that out, the sound is fine.

Thanks to everyone for your responses to my questions!

Last edited by newbert; 4 May 18 at 23:31. Reason: Correction
Unread 5 May 18, 18:49   #21
syhlif32
Premium Member

Glad you are happy with the monitor. I use one of the game settings for low motion blur.

See you got sorted with the sound!

Only problem you have now is that a normal monitor will now look ordinary.
I bought a very nice gaming laptop for traveling but hard to get used to a 15.6" 60 hz screen again.
Unread 5 May 18, 23:49   #22
DucFreak

Quote:
Well, FWIW I bought the LG monitor recommended by syhlif32. I set it up this morning and am really impressed with it! Nice sharp, vibrant colors and I'm running it at highest resolution. Framerates in the sims I've tried so far (and provide FPS readings) are all well over 100.
(...)
Thanks to everyone for your responses to my questions!
Congrats!
If you were after an ultrawide monitor, that was certainly an excelent purchase, I think. Besides the great specs and reviews, everybody who owns that monitor (or those commenting about it, that is) seem well pleased. We can conclude then that this quest resulted in a happy ending.
Unread 6 May 18, 16:42   #23
Highbank
Premium Member

Anyone running a curved screen for sim racing, wonder if there's any distortion using them...
Highbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 18, 20:32   #24
syhlif32
Premium Member

Mine and I assume the one Newbert bought are curved.
There are no distortion like one a curved projector screen.
While it is a fairly slight curve is is nice but not really a huge difference.
Got mine on a sale below the price for even the flat version.
It is something that is nice to have but you would not miss if your screen was flat.
Unread 16 May 18, 05:34   #25
DurgeDriven

Can you guys elaborate on Nvidia GPU + FreeSync with sims

I know it depends on GPU, resolution and game frames of course
Do you set Fast Sync or Adaptive Sync or use Inspector profiles or what ?

Any wheel latency to speak of ?

Next GeForce I get top model, 1180 whatever and better monitor
Hopefully cheaper then current $300 gsync tax

I call it the 5" tax ie: same money Gsync 27" or Freesync 32+"
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 18, 11:57   #26
newbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post

I know it depends on GPU, resolution and game frames of course
Do you set Fast Sync or Adaptive Sync or use Inspector profiles or what ?

Any wheel latency to speak of ?

Next GeForce I get top model, 1180 whatever and better monitor
Hopefully cheaper then current $300 gsync tax

I call it the 5" tax ie: same money Gsync 27" or Freesync 32+"
I am far from expert in these things, but can only speak from my experience.

I use Freesync with my GeForce 980(?) and get framerates around 100 (at 2580x1080 resolution) in all of my sims.

(I don't even know what "Adaptive Sync or Inspector Profiles are....)

No discernible wheel latency as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps.
Unread 16 May 18, 12:07   #27
syhlif32
Premium Member

I use Inspector profiles and limited the fps.
Do not normally use any form for sync.
Have not noticed any screen tearing.
Older dx9 games I run at 144 hz (Max for Monitor) Gtr2 I run at 180hz do to I like the FFB best at that.
Newer DX11 titles I run at 90 hz.
If I can only make 50-60Hz I see stuttering and need to use sync or more likely lower the graphics.
The Gsync price are due to the extra circuit and the licensing fee. Guess it will stay.
Thinking about a GTX 1180 too but might go back to AMD for the next Gpu upgrade
Unread 16 May 18, 15:01   #28
Emery

Quote:
I'd like to know, too!

I have seen some Freesync monitors can set a locked refresh of 60 Hz or 120 Hz. To me, locking at anything from 90-120 Hz would be ideal (provided my video card & game can keep up).
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 18, 22:58   #29
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I'd like to know, too!

I have seen some Freesync monitors can set a locked refresh of 60 Hz or 120 Hz. To me, locking at anything from 90-120 Hz would be ideal (provided my video card & game can keep up).
I think I keep 27" 1920@60Hz putz till next GPU and worry then

If AMD card matches Nvidia and there is still premium on Gsync monitors I will swap myself

How does that do Nvidia any good

P.S.

AMD card is at least 18 months away according to news ? that won't work for me p
Unread 17 May 18, 00:27   #30
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
AMD card is at least 18 months away according to news ? that won't work for me p
Whats the rush don't you have a GTX1070?
Unread 17 May 18, 01:54   #31
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Whats the rush don't you have a GTX1070?
No rush even less now p
Unread 17 May 18, 02:26   #32
DurgeDriven

Tell the truth I was rushing
Sold 750 of parts in 2 days another lot for 280 has offer
and I think I may even sell the DTT3500 5.1

I was all set to get CSL Elite then realized TM pedals need RG>USB adapter I can only find in US and they won't ship here to AU
I thought about VRFeel wheel ( roughly same price as CSR ) and guessed it, they don't ship to AU

there is no other wheel I can get in range which led me to silly idea
to buy a $1,000 monitor to use with GTX1070 which is less then
satisfactory for maxxed 2560 in current sims

Duc with his reminder about gmotor resolutions sacred me from UW monitors for ever lol

There are no new gen cards to buy

what rush
Unread 17 May 18, 11:35   #33
syhlif32
Premium Member

I have no issues with UW format.
My monitor are 2560 x 1080 and have yet to see a single game that can't use it.

and I 'only' got a gtx 970.
RF2 and PC2 run at 90 hz
For Race sims a UW is very nice. While not as immersive as a 3 x monitor setup it got a lot less hassle.
For work is it great with the ability to have two full pages open side by side.
I know about silly ideas get them all the time. And most of them are this strange notion that more/ newer are better!
Unread 17 May 18, 20:12   #34
DucFreak

Quote:
Duc with his reminder about gmotor resolutions sacred me from UW monitors for ever lol
wooa, hang on... What I said is that plenty games will not allow ultrawide resolutions, but I never mentioned Gmotor. (which I think actually supports it?)

In anycase, in a conversation with a friend about this ultrawide stuff, he sent over a link where there has been made available a sort of fix called ""Flawless Widescreen", meant for many of those games that do not allow ultrawide:

http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

I have no idea if it works (don't have ultrawide screen), nor how it works (you're on your own) but I'm guessing that it'll help those using ultrawide screens who have issues with previous gen games, such as black sidebars (and etc) due to lack of support for ultrawide resolutions in such games. And eventually have a growing list of games supported in such "fix".

Here's an example:

Unread 17 May 18, 21:59   #35
DurgeDriven

I assumed you were talking about old sims, my bad

https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/#Supported

I don't see anything I can drive here well apart from arcade

Can someone confirm older titles working please, GPL through to rFactor

P.S.

Local store has normal screen works out at $750US which is cheaper then the US web site and $100 cheaper then any other Aussie store

http://www.dcomponline.com.au/index....oducts_id=3127

*** Oh I see same screen is RRP $1499 here

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 17 May 18 at 22:13.
Unread 18 May 18, 20:57   #36
newbert

Quote:
I assumed you were talking about old sims, my bad

https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/#Supported

I don't see anything I can drive here well apart from arcade

Can someone confirm older titles working please, GPL through to rFactor

P.S.

Local store has normal screen works out at $750US which is cheaper then the US web site and $100 cheaper then any other Aussie store

http://www.dcomponline.com.au/index....oducts_id=3127

*** Oh I see same screen is RRP $1499 here

FWIW - My experiences using an ultrawide monitor (Freesync):

GPL: Using Direct 3D7V2, it fills the screen at 1280x1024 resolution. 2560x1080 doesn't work as it fills only a small window on the Windows
Desktop.

GTR2 (DVD Version): No - there are vertical bars on both sides of the screen.

GTL: Yes, it fills the screen, but I don't know how to find what the resolution is.

RFactor2: 2560x1080 at 100mhz fills the screen when racing. Menus do NOT fill the screen.

Richard Burns Rally (DVD): No. Same as GTR2.

I hope this info helps answer your question.
Unread 18 May 18, 21:13   #37
syhlif32
Premium Member

You are doing something wrong!
Gtr2 and all the rest of the Gmotor games runs perfectly in UW.
You need to run the config.exe. My guess is you might have run it but due to the mess with Windows where it stores the config.ini different places depending if you are administrator or not.
The graphics are prefect the menus are stretched.
You are in for a treat with GTR2 when you get this sorted!

GPL I am not using it but believe with GEM you get the monitors native resolution.

Rf2 correct menus stays in 16:9

Richard Burns Rally does a fix for that like nearly all other issues you can have
https://www.racedepartment.com/threa...support.49275/

I have never had a game that didn't work in UW or that there wasn't a hack/ fix for.
Unread 19 May 18, 01:29   #38
newbert

Quote:
You are doing something wrong!
Gtr2 and all the rest of the Gmotor games runs perfectly in UW.
You need to run the config.exe.
My guess is you might have run it but due to the mess with Windows where it stores the config.ini different places depending if you are administrator or not.
The graphics are prefect the menus are stretched.
You are in for a treat with GTR2 when you get this sorted!

GPL I am not using it but believe with GEM you get the monitors native resolution.

Rf2 correct menus stays in 16:9

Richard Burns Rally does a fix for that like nearly all other issues you can have
https://www.racedepartment.com/threa...support.49275/

I have never had a game that didn't work in UW or that there wasn't a hack/ fix for.
Thanks for that info! FYI - I have NOT run config.exe in GTR2 since switching to this monitor, so I will give that a try.

And I'll look into the GPL and RBR fixes as well.

Thanks!
Unread 19 May 18, 05:36   #39
DurgeDriven

Thanks guys
Unread 19 May 18, 08:14   #40
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for that info! FYI - I have NOT run config.exe in GTR2 since switching to this monitor, so I will give that a try.
Also remember to select 144hz!
With your hardware you can setup DSR and go x4 in GTR2 and GTL for 5120 X 2160.
The good tracks with high res textures will look Next Gen
Unread 19 May 18, 17:38   #41
newbert

Quote:
Also remember to select 144hz!
With your hardware you can setup DSR and go x4 in GTR2 and GTL for 5120 X 2160.
The good tracks with high res textures will look Next Gen
Sorry, but what's DSR in GTR2? And...all I see is a config.INI file in GTR2. (Do I need to edit it?) However, there is a GTRconfig.exe file. I've set graphics there to highest resolution at 32 bit, but GTR2 still won't fill the screen.

...and while I'm at it, what's GEM for GPL?

Thanks!

Last edited by newbert; 19 May 18 at 19:14.
Unread 19 May 18, 18:52   #42
DucFreak

Quote:
Sorry, but what's DSR?
It's Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution.

It's a way to "downsample" the image resolution, i.e, implement a higher resolution option than the native resolution of your monitor.
Imagine having a (downsampled) 4K resolution as choice in the list of resolutions of a 1080P monitor, for example.

This is obviously very helpfull for a nicer, smoother image (at the cost of lower performance due to higher GPU usage, of course) with games where the Anti-Aliasing quality is very poor or difficult to make work.
I'd say that it can be even more appreciated in games that you know perform extremely well in your PC, with very high framerates ingame even at high/ultra settings (for example, like the older games such as GTR2 and GTL now have with modern hardware).

From the Nvidia control planel, with DSR, you can implement resolutions from 20% (1.20) up to 400% (4.00) higher than the native resolution of your monitor, after which will also be available in the video options of the games you have installed.

Last edited by DucFreak; 19 May 18 at 19:13. Reason: added video
Unread 19 May 18, 21:41   #43
syhlif32
Premium Member

Quote:
Sorry, but what's DSR in GTR2? And...all I see is a config.INI file in GTR2. (Do I need to edit it?) However, there is a GTRconfig.exe file. I've set graphics there to highest resolution at 32 bit, but GTR2 still won't fill the screen.
First are you using the Display port on your new monitor?
The Hdmi ports should still do 2560 x 1080 but only at 60 hz not at 144 hz

The problem you have are likely the mess with Windows where it stores the config.ini
You might have another in User\Documents\gtr2
It all depends on if you have started Gtr2.exe and/ or config,exe in administrator mode

There are several threads with Windows 10 issues here in the GTR2 forum to check how to do it .
But something like this should work.

Delete GTR2 folder in user documents directory c:\windows\users\YOUR_NAME\Documents\
Delete config.ini + sysinfo.txt in your GTR2 install folder

Set compatibility (right click on exe>property tab) as Windows7 + check Administrator rights for ALL exe inside your GTR2 install : GTR2.EXE, GTR2CONFIG.EXE
(not everyone agrees with check Administrator rights, but try to get it started)

Run GTR2CONFIG.EXE : set your resolution in 32bits, 2560 x 1080 or if you run DSR try one of the higher resolutions
Select DirectX9 (not AUTO),
Do not check Windows mode if you use DSR.

Now run GTR2.EXE

Now you should see Gtr2 in Ultrawide! The menu's are not HD but the game it self will be.
Check the game settings Video and Advanced Video and get everything on max/ high. Select HD textures and wheels

If you have any issues now you should install directX june 2010

If gtr2 runs you can up the resolution if you set DSR

Now you need Nvidia inspector.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

Then see this thread

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=377458

It might look complicated but in a few weeks it will all be second nature to you.
You will not need AA if you run DSR x4. But do set AF to x16

Windows 10 has made some of the older games complicated to setup but when they first run it is worth it.
Unread 19 May 18, 23:55   #44
newbert

Many Thanks to both of you! I've got GTR2 to work at 5120 x whatever it is at 144 MHz! Mind Boggling! (I DO use the DisplayPort).

Still working on the P&G mod though, as it doesn't want to cooperate.

BTW - the link to Nvidea Inspector doesn't work.
Unread Yesterday, 00:45   #45
DurgeDriven

v2.1.2.0 (2016)

This is latest version v2.1.3.0 (2017) I believe
These 2 versions for Netframe 4.0 ( W10 )

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...nspector.shtml

This version for Netframe 2.0 ( W7 etc)

Last edited by DurgeDriven; Yesterday at 01:07.
Unread Yesterday, 04:51   #46
DucFreak

Quote:
v2.1.2.0 (2016)

This is latest version v2.1.3.0 (2017) I believe
These 2 versions for Netframe 4.0 ( W10 )

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...nspector.shtml

This version for Netframe 2.0 ( W7 etc)

Not sure what you're on about (?) but the latest version of NVIDIA Inspector (2.1.3.10) always worked fine with Win7, and Win8/8.1 as well.

If the problem with Win7 is not having updated the Netframework, then there you go.
Unread Yesterday, 06:49   #47
DurgeDriven

Quote:
If the problem with Win7 is not having updated the Netframework
You just answered your own question Duc lol

Basically yes that is what I meant, 2.1.30 needs Net 4.0 but why install it just for Inspector

I was just covering all bases

If you use W7 or don't need Netframe the earlier version works
Unread Yesterday, 07:17   #48
DurgeDriven

Quote:
Still working on the P&G mod though, as it doesn't want to cooperate.
The config.ini from GTR2 should work it is the same

If you have a GTR2 folder in documents one of the GTR2 or PnG folders are "looping"

In W10 I set both GTR2.exe and GTRConfig.exe to admin control and win7 compatibility for all users

Depends how your OS is setup copying files may disable the changes so any new GTR2 folder
you copied from elsewhere may need admin/compat set again

Using generic mod enablers they are kept