NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Old 10 July 08, 13:39   #1
PEK

Exclamation ATI(AMD) vs NVIDIA - GTR2 AA/AF

Hi all, got this "problem" with the quality of graphics in GTR2. You seem a bunch of guys who know some stuff about it. Im not so new to this hardware stuff, but i cant figure out why there is such difference between ATI and NV AA/AF quality in GTR2(and probably other games too).

Recently i got HD4850 to replace my 8800GT, cost me 30€ so im not complaining.. BUT!... The first thing i noticed when i went to some Oschers practice was that the fence there was really bothering me, it was very "jagged". Not something i was used to with AA-AF maxed on my 8800GT.

To get the unknowns away... I tried (i think) all the AA/AF setting (AA levels, filters, adaptive AA settings from super to multisampling, AF settings, AI settings,...) All settings are working as they should since FPS changes with different setting. I used different drivers (8.5 and 8.6) on my Vista 32bit. Good thing about this card/driver is that i can ALT+TAB from GTR2 every-time and the game never crashes.

So here is the jagged fence effect... Both pics were taken with full AA/AF, i know the track textures are different, but not the fence, that is the same. Ingame setting are also the same. I find it odd how 2 different cards can make such a different AA/AF effect in GTR2. And i like the nvidia quality a lot more....

http://shrani.si/f/1o/Tg/4sqi7Crm/wtf.jpg

Any ideas? If not... maybe i have just made things easier to someone buying new graphic card.

Last edited by vrmx; 11 July 08 at 15:36. Reason: too big img
PEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 08, 14:15   #2
Pierre61

Just a punt, do you aniso filter optimisation on with the ATI card? .. That might explain the strobing. I get the same effect if I enable it on my Nvidia card. I don't have access to an ATI card, so like I say... it's just a punt
Pierre61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 08, 15:49   #3
PEK

I dont think there is anything i can enable or disable on about AF ? if that is AF u talkin about..
PEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 08, 15:52   #4
hardjack79
Richard Jackett

First: I'm no expert at this.

To me it doesn't look like you have any anti-aliasing on the ATI screen shot at all. What you are seeing is not normal, put it that way. I have a laptop ATI card and it does a much better job than that at 2 or 4x AA.

You have 2 options to enabling it (3 actually):
1) Set driver to "application controlled" and set AA in the GTR2 control panel.
2) Set GTR2 to no AA, then set the driver (via catalyst) to 16x or whatever
3) Same as 2 but use a 3rd party interface -- I enthusiastically recommend Ray Adams' ATI Tray Tools, it is a fantastic little ap.

The other thing is that the NVIDIA screen shot looks to have inferior AF to me, but it could be my imagination. The ATI shot looks to have pretty strong AF.

Something that caught me out at first while tinkering with AA/AF in GTR2 was that I could change driver settings with hotkeys, but only the first change was actually implemented. To do subsequent changes I found a trick: Alt -tab, change setting, change resolution (even just palette from 32 to 16), change resolution back, check that new setting is in place, go back into the game and make a screenshot (incl FPS!). The change of resolution/palette seemed to reset something so that I was starting fresh again and could try the next AA/AF combo.

Is it just GTR2 that is giving you trouble? Have you tried out any non-racing games to see if it is the driver or card?

PS Again, I strongly recommend ATI Tray Tools, it is free and enables so many things you can't do with the Catalyst Control Center (and takes up less mem too).
hardjack79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 08, 20:56   #5
redi
Superator

Location: On a thin crust covering a huge ball of hot molten stone whizzing through space

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardjack79 View Post
PS Again, I strongly recommend ATI Tray Tools, it is free and enables so many things you can't do with the Catalyst Control Center (and takes up less mem too).
Just a brief hijack with a side question: can I choose to not install the CCC and use Tray Tools instead? I'm getting a new PC with a 4870 in it soon, so I'm preparing myself...
redi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 08, 21:08   #6
hardjack79
Richard Jackett

it gives me the utmost pleasure to tell you:

YES!

CCC is an abomination
hardjack79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 08, 07:02   #7
KarlosDaJackal
retired

it looks like their is no AA in those screenshots, their is some kind of bug stopping it from taking affect. ATI are generally known for having higher picture quality most of the time.

I set AA to application controlled and manage it via the game interface and that works for me, sounds like it could just be a bug with the current drivers for your card. Catalyst 8.7 should be out within a week though and fix it and give you performance boost also.
KarlosDaJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 08, 07:22   #8
Raikku
Donated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardjack79 View Post
it gives me the utmost pleasure to tell you:

YES!

CCC is an abomination
Some ppl say that Ati Tray Tool doesn't yet function properly with new HD 4000's(?)

I plan to change my 8800GTS 512 to HD4870 or X2.
Raikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 08, 12:16   #9
DucFreak

Hardjack79 and Karlos said most already.

The issues shown in the opening post of this thread show either bad display drivers (redownload drivers?) and/or their settings.
....perhaps even power consumption issues from weak power-supply (not likely) or a faulty card (even less likely!).

There's some rumours around mentioning that Catalist 8.6 drivers (June'08) have some issues with 3800 and 4800 series (so some have recommended the use of Catalyst 8.5 -May'08- display drivers instead) but there's also plenty people saying the opposite and mentioning gains of performance with 8.6, so...

ATI drivers of July'08 will be even better, no doubt, as those will be now also dedicated to latest 4000 series, so the best is yet to come, nothing that should stop interested buyers of getting the latest "bombs" from ATI (on the contrary)!
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 08, 21:10   #10
Luke9583

I just purchased a GTX 280 with a 1920 x 1200 resolution. The Nvidia control panel lets me force AF and AA to 16x and 16qx. The game runs smooth at a minimum of 100FPS. It's never looked so good

[MG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/Luke9583/GRAB_026.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/Luke9583/GRAB_046.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/Luke9583/GRAB_049.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/Luke9583/GRAB_050.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by vrmx; 13 July 08 at 16:36. Reason: too big img's, read the site rules!
Luke9583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 08, 21:29   #11
Raikku
Donated

Have they finally enchanted Nvidia Vga's ability to draw better white lines?

My 8800 GTS 512 still has that same problem which have plagued Nvidia all the time(at least until now) - you can't get white lines look good, either you get jagged lines or then you have lines which blurs 10 meters ahead you. ATI has always did that much better.
Raikku is offline   Reply With Quote