NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Old 26 December 08, 14:09   #1
Xopotl

Default Definitive rFactor ATI graphics settings?

Right, it's been a while since I've posted on this forum but I'm having some trouble configuring my ATI 4870 graphics card to perform at the best quality in rFactor... So here goes...

Using ATT is a bit of a hit and miss situation with rFactor, as it seems. At one time it will apply my settings (leaving out some AA) and at others it will load up rFactor at bog-standard settings... I'm not sure what to use here, ATT or CCC or both?
I like the "preset" stuff in ATT, but I'm wondering if it interferes with CCC and/or vice versa...
I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply most of my AA settings because I'm getting terrible moire in rFactor.

If anyone uses ATT or has any ideas on how to fix any of this (or has any presets suggestions), please let me know.
Thanks in advance...
Xopotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 08, 12:42   #2
jayblue

No know much about ATT as i use CCC. I set AA through rfactor config to level 3 and put use application settings in CCC. The only thing's i set through CCC are AF and mipmap. Seems to work for me with my 4870.
jayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 08, 11:49   #3
Xopotl

Hey thanks for your reply.
The thing is, I tried them and while it gives the best results graphicswise concerning the cars, it doesn't actually fix any of the shimmering and moire you get on, for instance, the armco barriers and most of the fences.
I've also noticed it tends to differ between tracks. My guess is it has something to do with materials in the track gmt's...

I used to have an 8800GT where I used the LOD clamp. I can't remember having the amount of moire I'm having now... My guess is that ATI needs a negative LOD clamp setting (if that's even possible). ATT has the LOD bias setting, but I haven't found it actually usefull...

Either way I've had a hard time finding anything helpfull concerning rfactor and ATI cards. There's tons of stuff out there concerning nvidia cards, but hardly anything definitive for ATI. Would be nice if this thread could turn out a place where other ATI users throw their settings together...
Old 30 December 08, 12:24   #4
max attack
Donated

Well I do the same as jayblue and it works well for my 3870.
max attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 08, 13:05   #5
Xopotl

So you guys don't have stuff like this?
[img=http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8868/grab002ah4.th.png]

It's not actually very visible in this crappily resized screenshot, but the shimmering and moire on the barriers drives me crazy...
How 'bout this... notice the fence in the distance? See how it's completely messed up...
It looks bareable enough on a screenshot, but driving along makes it look like a swarm of bees...

Last edited by Xopotl; 30 December 08 at 13:10.
Old 30 December 08, 15:12   #6
jayblue

Have you tried increasing the level of detail in game to max, in GTR2 125%. I found that helps with the definition of objects in the distance quite a lot. I have noticed that on stock tracks the graphics quality is often superior to addons, so i think your correct in your comment concerning GMT's. I think you need to enter the plr file to edit LOD in rfactor but i'm not sure.
jayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 10, 22:31   #7
lukija

Hello to all. Sorry to bring this topic from history. I have the same problems. While having Nvidia cards I had no problems with shimmering and the trick was to set negative LOD bias to clamp. However, I have recently purchased ATI HD5870 card and was disappointed how ugly rFactor looks. I have tried to use RadeonPro (http://www.radeonpro.info) and it was great but it was still lacking negative LOD bias clamp. So I have decided to dig into ATI drivers and managed to make some changes on one DLL. You can download it from here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cql7a7

This is patched DLL comming from ATI Catalyst 10.9 version from Windows 7 64-bit so it would be best to have installed Catalyst version 10.9 for this OS if someone is willing to test. I dont know if it is working with different OSs and Catalyst versions. I have tested it with rFactor and GTR Evo and it works good. However, I cannot guarantee it will work on your rigs, so use it with caution.

Just unzip the DLL file from archive and put it in the folder where rFactor is installed (e.g. D:\Games\rFactor). Also, one should set ingame anisotropic filtering to x16 for best appearance. If you are having problems, just delete it from games folder. Hope someone finds it useful.

Best regards,
Lukija

Last edited by lukija; 3 October 10 at 14:40. Reason: Typos
lukija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 10, 23:18   #8
Janis
Banned

imho you run either CCC or ATT not both Xopotl.

I got too absorbed in profiles and settings in Nv CCC ATT D3D Riva Ehancer and in all sims it boggled my mind ...........even worse

No more do I worry virtually what jayblue says most all modern DX9 sims

No profiles these days, I just setup the Fanatec Set 3d configs all sims after new drivers and forget.

No profiles nothing. Like Jim Clark suit the car not the setup.

I finding DX7 /8 and a few DX9 sims do not look right anymore
esp since I got a DX10 video card.

I read somewhere how DX11 card has a different way of doing AA and other things onboard I think ? In turn this can affect pixels in older DX games ?
Maybe thats a furfy ?

I certainly noticed a difference in EA F1 sims F1-2001-F1C in windowed mode 1280x960 which is same as CRT res I ran them online.

Nascar too is not as crisp or sharp and has tiny glitches now and then too

GPL the same lot of little graphics abnormals I never seen with a 7800GTX 6800GT or TNT or 9700Pro ...well DX9 or lower cards.
Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 10, 11:25   #9
fisher racing

I use CCC and rFactor looks amazing on my rig.
2 x 4870 1gig crossfired

Ingame settings maxed

Settings in CCC.

AA= 8 x (wide tent) samples 24x
AF= 16x
Catalyst AI=Advanced
MipMap= Quality
Vertical refresh=off,unless app specifies.
Adaptive AA= Enabled=Quality
Triple buff= enabled

For Dirt2 and other graphically intensive games

ingame settings on high

AA= use app setting
AF= use app setting
Catalyst AI=Standard
MipMap= Quality
Vertical refresh=off,unless app specifies.
Adaptive AA= Enabled=Quality
Triple buff= off

I hope this will be of some help.
fisher racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 10, 11:58   #10
fisher racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukija View Post
Hello to all. Sorry to bring this topic from history. I have the same problems. While having Nvidia cards I had no problems with shimmering and the trick was to set negative LOD bias to clamp. However, I have recently purchased ATI HD5870 card and was disappointed how ugly rFactor looks. I have tried to user RadeonPro (http://www.radeonpro.info) and it was great but it was still lacking negative LOD bias clamp. So I have decided to dig into ATI drivers and managed to make some changes on one DLL. You can download it from here:

This is patched DLL comming from ATI Catalyst 10.9 version from Windows 7 64-bit so it would be best to have installed Catalyst version 10.9 for this OS if someone is willing to test. I dont know if it is working with different OSs and Catalyst versions. I have tested it with rFactor and GTR Evo and it works good. However, I cannot guarantee it will work on your rigs, so use it with caution.

Just unzip the DLL file from archive and put it in the folder where rFactor is installed (e.g. D:\Games\rFactor). Also, one should set ingame anisotropic filtering to x16 for best appearance. If you are having problems, just delete it from games folder. Hope it someone finds it useful.

Best regards,
Lukija
Thanks for the patch. Seems to work fine in GTR2 and GT legends as well.
Old 3 October 10, 14:14   #11
lukija

Great to hear that. I have checked DLLs for 32-bit version and they are the same. So it should work also under 32-bit version of Windows 7 (and Vista since they share the same drivers). I need to check Windows XP version.
Old 8 October 10, 13:35   #12
Scorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukija View Post
Hello to all. Sorry to bring this topic from history. I have the same problems. While having Nvidia cards I had no problems with shimmering and the trick was to set negative LOD bias to clamp. However, I have recently purchased ATI HD5870 card and was disappointed how ugly rFactor looks. I have tried to use RadeonPro (http://www.radeonpro.info) and it was great but it was still lacking negative LOD bias clamp. So I have decided to dig into ATI drivers and managed to make some changes on one DLL. You can download it from here:

Just unzip the DLL file from archive and put it in the folder where rFactor is installed (e.g. D:\Games\rFactor). Also, one should set ingame anisotropic filtering to x16 for best appearance. If you are having problems, just delete it from games folder. Hope someone finds it useful.

Best regards,
Lukija
You sir are a star While i have no issues with rFactor, i have always struggled to get NetKar looking good, so i grabbed your file dropped it in the NetKar root folder and now NetKar looks as good as it did on my GTX275 on my 4870X2

I have put a link over at RD if you don't mind as alot of NetKar owners are having issues with the PQ and if it helps others then you should name it something and upload it as you deserve the credit.

http://www.racedepartment.com/netkar...ization-2.html
Scorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 10, 13:46   #13
lukija

Excelent. This solution is far from perfect since it is a tradeoff between shimmering textures and somewhat blurred textures. It looks ugly if used without 16x anisotropic filtering (if application does not support setting anisotropic filtering, use one from Catalyst Control Center or use RadeonPro). Best results can be achieved by using supersampling antialiasing mode but with big performance hit even on HD5870. I have also tested Nvidia FPS Fix 0.30 and it gives me performance boost in rFactor. Sounds odd but it works for me. You can find details here:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail...ia%20FPS%20Fix

P.S. DLLs shouldn't be mixed between different Catalyst versions. It might work but it is not 100% safe. If you have request for some particular version I can take a look.

Last edited by lukija; 10 October 10 at 15:26.
Old 23 November 11, 10:06   #14
king81

Hey guys.

I'm going to exhumate this topic. The thing I observed in my rFactor + ATI 6850 + win7 32bit is that in Catalyst CC there is in the 3D tab an overall slider - when I set it to quality - the cars have obtained a higher quality of mimpams - seems like this slider was locking something because now I change all the subsliders - the AA, anizo and so on - and I am not able to go back to the shoddy car graphics I had previously. Maybe it helps some of you.
king81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 11, 12:15   #15
BrunoB

Cool

What do you mean with "an overall slider" with a quality value?
In my 4870 CCC there is only these 3 sliders with a Quality possibility.
Is it one of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCC.jpg (76.1 KB, 79 views)
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 11, 12:24   #16
fisher racing

I think king81 means the slider in the Standard UI.

Click on preferences(upper right) then choose Standard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captijure.JPG (71.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 24 November 11, 09:26   #17
BrunoB

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher racing View Post
I think king81 means the slider in the Standard UI.
Click on preferences(upper right) then choose Standard.
OK thank you fisher.
That makes more sense (for me
Because just like on your pic I have ticled Custom and then the Performance-Quality are greyed out.
BrunoB is offline   Reply With Quote