NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > rFactor

Unread 15 March 09, 00:39   #1
Niels_at_home

Default Corvette C6 physics update (unofficial) released.

Hello,

A few changes that, to me at least, make the cars a bit more predictable and less nervous near the limit than the 3.0 and 3.1 release.

You can get the update at my site: http://geocities.com/n_heusink/rfactorphysics at the physics files section..

*the convertible is not included, its only for the coupe and z06!*

Some of the changes are:
- slightly changed suspension geometry (notably in the anti lift / dive department)
- slightly changed springs and rollbars
- changed damping (probably also slightly?)
- changed tire curves, peak behaviour, speed effects switched off
- fixed aero; sideways drag wasn't there before (missing parameter, not sure how ISI handles it; probably ignored it before!)
- changed drag / drivetrain loss slightly; z06 tops at 318km/h, coupe at 299km/h
- possibly more minor things.

Also:
- uber green engine, no fuel consumption
- no tire heating or wear or pressure effects; extreme driving isn't punished, make the most of that

Should you have anything to say about these physics, please use this thread to shout about it!

/Niels
Niels_at_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 March 09, 13:05   #2
GeraArg

Thx!!!!!
GeraArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 March 09, 13:14   #3
Siggs

Sweet. The last set were incredible, really look forward to trying these Neils! Many thanks
Siggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 August 09, 09:07   #4
Niels_at_home

Another update on my site: http://geocities.com/n_heusink/rfact...ysicsfiles.htm

Any feedback is welcome!

Some changes:
- tire curves, load sensitivity, slight speed effects put back in
- new 3D suspension based on real measurments!
- enabled engine,brakes and tire heating
- real damper curves used, though the same dampers are on the front and rear, I don't yet know on which side the real data sits..
Unread 10 August 09, 13:12   #5
Sphara

This is the first time I've found the car to be driveable! Before, the grip seemed to be all wrong and I found the driving to be unpredictable. But now I know where the car will go!
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 August 09, 15:50   #6
Niels_at_home

Thats good to hear! The grip levels as in G forces are nearly the same but hopefully with every update I do, it becomes more drivable, though 505hp in a z06 with stiff tires will always have the ability to bite..
Unread 11 August 09, 15:48   #7
timex

You're the Darwin of rFactor cars, or something like that. Bad analogy I guess.

Driving this feels closer to an actual car than any sim car I can recall having tried. I just ran several laps in the Z06 using the recommended realfeel settings & my G25 and it really is a leap forward.
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 January 10, 07:48   #8
Stigma

Can someone please upload the 2nd physics tweak listed here? Niels website is apparently down =[ Thanks in advance!
Stigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 January 10, 01:23   #9
scca1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigma View Post
Can someone please upload the 2nd physics tweak listed here? Niels website is apparently down =[ Thanks in advance!
+1 looks like his site is still down.
scca1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 January 10, 02:53   #10
GeraArg

geocities.com closed its doors a couple of months ago.
GeraArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 January 10, 02:54   #11
scca1981

ahh.. well that solves that.
Unread 11 January 10, 07:52   #12
Niels_at_home

Heya,

Indeed Geocities went down and its unlikely that I'll host the site somewhere else, www.h-engineering.nl took over kinda.

The idea is to do a Corvette 4.0 including the ZR1 in 2010, which can be anything from 1 to 11 months away!
Unread 11 January 10, 16:17   #13
werst59

Neils at home, thanks for your post today, but still does not answer the question, Where can we get the two physics patches, mentioned above, you released after the v3.1 release? Are you going to upload them somewhere else and provide us the location or a link? Thanks for a response in advance. Richard
werst59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 January 10, 18:06   #14
Nyamless

It is really sad for our community that the great works of Niels at home are not available
The concept of his work is a good example for every modder.

I hope that not only his works but also "Basic idea for physics" page (this page could be seen on his site) are available in the near future.

(As for me, I have downloaded the physics files like "BMW M3 CSL Demo", "Chevrolet Corvette C6","Epsilon Euskadi" and "Ferrari 312B" from his site. But I can not upload these files because I have no copyright for his works.)

Last edited by Nyamless; 11 January 10 at 18:23.
Nyamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 January 10, 20:35   #15
scca1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels_at_home View Post
The idea is to do a Corvette 4.0 including the ZR1 in 2010, which can be anything from 1 to 11 months away!
Sounds like a good idea to me
Unread 12 January 10, 13:40   #16
Niels_at_home

You are free to upload and share the files that where on my Geocities site before. Just mention they're unofficial and unsupported!
Unread 12 January 10, 15:22   #17
Nyamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels_at_home View Post
You are free to upload and share the files that where on my Geocities site before. Just mention they're unofficial and unsupported!
Thank you for sharing
I uploaded the files originated on your site as described below.

・BMW M3 CSL Demo v1_00 by Team RCL for rFactor physics fix by Niels
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IAY12IFU
・Chevrolet Corvette C6 v3_10 by Siim for rFactor Physic fix by Niels
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YSUG9ZHB
・Epsilon Euskadi v1_20 by EnduRacers for rFactor Physics fix by Niels
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T7XWQFWQ
・Ferrari 312B version 0_91 for rFactor Physics fix by Niels
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P8FRCU1P

I'm really looking forward to your next "reproduction of a real car".
keep up the good work

@Stigma and who sent me PM.

Please download files from URL above
Nyamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 March 10, 04:47   #18
EAKMotorsports

After Toyota Supra mod the C6 need an upgrade. I looking forward for an update.
EAKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 March 10, 19:38   #19
Some1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAKMotorsports View Post
After Toyota Supra mod the C6 need an upgrade. I looking forward for an update.
And I'm looking forward to some free time
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 March 10, 19:47   #20
DeDios

Thanks really much Niels, i tried your update for M3 CSL demo and....omg is incredible!! Feels great. Your physics are fantastics. I hope rF2 mods will be with same physics quality. A BIG thanks
DeDios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 March 10, 21:28   #21
Niels_at_home

Thanks
Unread 9 March 10, 17:56   #22
vrooom

any physic files for ferrari enzo?
vrooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 April 10, 20:53   #23
andreic1983

fantastic updates, tested the Corvette the updates are fantastic but the car ...hmmm...let's say it's just for the americans

How about the Lamborghini Gallardo ?
andreic1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 April 10, 08:33   #24
death_angel

Yeah I have to say Niels' Supra physics are perfect. I'm having a blast driving that car. It should be one of the training mods for sim.drivers, good to set up your wheel, FFB, and learn how to develop setups.
Thanks Niel!
death_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 April 10, 08:37   #25
tiptop

With the few set up options opened on the supra(it's a street car after all not a race car) i hardly see how it's good to learn how to develop a set up .
tiptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 April 10, 13:30   #26
death_angel

My bad, you're right, there's not much to setup there
it's not how to setup a car but more like how to control a car. I've seen so many people that don't know how light/heavy breaking effects the car, how getting on the gas progressively is so important. With the suspension simulation in this mod, you can easily (real)feel the effects when you drive around a decently modeled track. If you take this ride seriously it will teach you to lift when upshifting, blip when downshifting, etc.. Not all mods have these modeled properly.
death_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 April 10, 14:32   #27
lovretta

I would say that very realistic and true-to-life behavior of his cars is just a side effect of senisble (realistic, belieaveble) numbers he used do define a car
lovretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 April 10, 15:47   #28
ermax

Yep... what is the saying, Garbage in Garbage out? rFactor is a very capable sim as long as the moders have a clue about what they are doing. Niels is the king of physics. I still haven't had the chance to try his latest creation, the Formula Armaroli. I am not a fan of open wheelers. I just can't relate them to anything I have raced/driven in real life. But I think this one deserves a test drive.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 April 10, 22:16   #29
AsphaltScream

I need some help please.

While I installed succesfully the files for the corvette, I'm just having trouble with the BMW.
The files in the zip archive have different names from the ones in my veichles/BMWE46something folder.
What I did was renaming the updated physics files so they match the ones in my folder and then overwrite but then when I load the mod I see either a peace car or the games freezes trying to load the BMW model in the UI.
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? thank you.
AsphaltScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 April 10, 08:51   #30
tiptop

They are not for the E46 BMW from Slipangle but for the BMW CSL mod if i remember well.
tiptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 April 10, 09:23   #31
lovretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop View Post
They are not for the E46 BMW from Slipangle but for the BMW CSL mod if i remember well.
That's correct
lovretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 April 10, 09:39   #32
Niels_at_home

What surprises me is that nobody noticed that the Supra rear suspension is bent! .. Thats another word for saying there is a typo, I think the rear toe arms aren't symmetrical, making rear bumpsteer assymetrical, making it pull a bit under acceleration and possibly under braking.

We are amazed how positive the Armaroli was received, I think we can do better than that in the future...
Unread 23 April 10, 17:12   #33
ermax

Niels, we love your work. Can't wait to see what you guys bring us in the future. I have yet to drive a single car with physics from you that aren't mind blowing.

Thanks for all your time and good luck with Reiza!
Unread 24 April 10, 13:54   #34
AsphaltScream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop View Post
Yes, I know. I have the right mod installed, the one from RCL
AsphaltScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 April 10, 10:21   #35
Cordial

Yes, Niels' C6 was a bit of revelation for me. Didn't know ISI sims could feel that good.

However, question:

I noticed driving the C6 at VLM Mid Ohio that some AI cars weren't in contact with the road in places. It was most disconcerting following a car that's floating in mid air! Same thing happens to some extent in iRacing replays - I don't mean net prediction code, but individual testing replays. Some wheels aren't following the troughs in the road surface but floating over them. Even when parked, often the front wheels are just off the ground.

Why does this happen? How does it relate to the actual physics. What does it all mean??
Cordial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 April 10, 13:19   #36
ermax

This happens with all mods at midohio.
Unread 2 May 10, 08:44   #37
DeDios

Well, looking some youtube videos regarding your version of F40 physics well..i'm just in love! sadly i saw you can't release it.

I want to tell you a question regarding my preferite mod at all, the Enduracers Mod. I'm an Huge fan of it, i really like it, specially physics side. Have you tried it? what about physics, what's your opinion? just of curiosity
Unread 2 May 10, 15:12   #38
Niels_at_home

I tend to be most busy creating cars and learning about vehicle dynamics.. I rarely drive other mods than my own!

From what I recall looking at the Enduracers mod, there was a nice 'episode' at race sim central with one of their physics guys not being very open to critisism. I think it was a tread where Todd Wasson (tire expert) and me (pretend tire expert) tried to preach about tires, as Enduracers seemed to show exactly what Todd and me reckon is the wrong way to do it.

That was a while ago (2 years?), I don't know if anything has changed.. It was funny in hindsight though. I did gave a few tire files to the dev team. Thankfully most of them where perfectly arlight, just the french physics guy was a bit over the top!
Unread 13 May 10, 18:32   #39
DeDios

thanks really much for your reply
My dream is now to see a Porsche (like 964 RS or..why not the new GT3 RS) using your physics. Or, yes, one of my preferite racing cars, the Porsche 997 RSR.
Unread 19 August 10, 20:23   #40
DimiD
Uploader

So, where I can find this "Corvette C6 physics update (unofficial)" by Niels_at_home now?
DimiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 August 10, 20:50   #41
FestaPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimiD View Post
So, where I can find this "Corvette C6 physics update (unofficial)" by Niels_at_home now?
All it takes is abit of reading........... Link
FestaPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 August 10, 22:32   #42
DimiD
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FestaPWR View Post
All it takes is abit of reading........... Link
This link is to the 3.1 version.(I have it by a long time) But from first post and next phrase exactly : "...A few changes that, to me at least, make the cars a bit more predictable and less nervous near the limit than the 3.0 and 3.1 release..." I thought , that he mean update AFTER version 3.1. Or I'm something missed?
Unread 20 August 10, 22:59   #43
FestaPWR

Ahhh yes, i see what you mean.

It does seem like there was an update after 3.1..... but i too cant find any link here.

Tried google?
FestaPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 August 10, 23:54   #44
DimiD
Uploader

Yes, but nothing. I made conversion to GTR2 of this Vettes with some additions from me (almost done) Also physics is modified by me. But I want to look what "interesting" is in newest update..
Unread 21 August 10, 06:36   #45
FriggnDiggn

I think it feels fine without making it "predictable" so Im hesitant to try update. Feels fantastic the way it is
FriggnDiggn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 August 10, 07:01   #46
boyracer5500

Ill tell you this: If the car was unpredictable then it accurately represents the 2006 Z06 Corvette. By making the car more predictable you will make it like the 2007-2011 Z06 Corvette. Now if you increase the braking power, decrease the brake wear, added about 100lbs, and made it handle better then the existing Z06 yet more predictable you will get the 2011 Z06 Carbon or 2011 Z06 with the optional suspension. So its perfectly fine right now but it depends what year it was because the corvette engineers heard the gripes on how hard the car was to drive fast. So by softening springs, electronics, magnetic dampers, and carbon brakes they got different qualities out of the same model car.....
boyracer5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 11, 11:39   #47
Frosticles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltScream View Post
I need some help please.

While I installed succesfully the files for the corvette, I'm just having trouble with the BMW.
The files in the zip archive have different names from the ones in my veichles/BMWE46something folder.
What I did was renaming the updated physics files so they match the ones in my folder and then overwrite but then when I load the mod I see either a peace car or the games freezes trying to load the BMW model in the UI.
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? thank you.

I have exactly the same problem i cant work out how to install it. there is no .LZH file and i dont know what i should rename it to????
Frosticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 June 11, 10:55   #48
tjc

Hey guys...

Just wondering where I put the files or how do I install the physics updates?

Do the files just get put into the car(s) folders?

For eg... the physics updates for the C6R go into the Corvette C6R car folder or do they get put somewhere else?

Sorry for the noob question

Ta...
tjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 June 11, 16:18   #49
Frosticles

i just figured out that you need to extract the LZH file with 7-zip and then you can copy the files enclosed within
Frosticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 June 11, 16:30   #50
tjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosticles View Post
i just figured out that you need to extract the LZH file with 7-zip and then you can copy the files enclosed within
Lol...

I just figured out the update is not for the c6r in the Enduracers mod...

tjc is offline   Reply With Quote