NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GTR2

Unread 28 August 17, 15:41   #151
bobwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
A bit more like the sound here, at 31 seconds:

https://youtu.be/NVs8nllPwRw?t=25s
Hehe, this is due to the computer assisted system which manages the engine during the gear changes of the F1 paddles... the car also farts, errr, growls and grumbles because of the presence of deposited fuel which sometimes lay incombust on the manifolds... And then is being expelled with a fiercer accent. Hence the majestic "PROTS" from the car.

At least this is what a friend appassioné of engines told me once...

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-ZERO_Racing View Post
I'm struggling with the triangle inside the numberplate, it's used in Monza, Brno, Magny-Cours by most of the FIA GT 2001 cars. Could it be something with the Super Racing weekend? It's also on the BBR models.
I'm sorry O.ZERO I'm one month late... which triangle are you referring to?
bobwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 August 17, 16:26   #152
alexmezza
Premium Member

@ Terry :

Pics, vids... I've never been able to read what is written in this "triangle" !!!

If you find the reply, contact me, please...
alexmezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 August 17, 17:05   #153
Crimson764

That triangle is a tribute to Bob Wollek who passed away before the '01 FIA GT season began. Unfortunately I don't know what it actually says, but I do know it's to do with Bob Wollek. I remember in the Monza broadcast on Eurosport, Martin Haven talking about that.
Crimson764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 August 17, 18:29   #154
alexmezza
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson764 View Post
That triangle is a tribute to Bob Wollek who passed away before the '01 FIA GT season began. Unfortunately I don't know what it actually says, but I do know it's to do with Bob Wollek. I remember in the Monza broadcast on Eurosport, Martin Haven talking about that.
In this vid ?

https://youtu.be/kMUIs0bx2fU
Unread 28 August 17, 22:39   #155
Crimson764

Yes it is that one. Martin Haven does talk about it at some point, but I can't remember where.
Crimson764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 September 17, 10:08   #156
bobwilliams

Arrow Family jewels

Hello there racing fans!

Just some news on the JMB Ferrari department, here (I will try to explain my works done in the tidiest manner as possible ):

Lately, I did not focus on the sound problem as I initially intended to (I really don't have the patience ), I preferred instead to concentrate on recreating a proper 2000 JMB Ferrari 360 Challenge 3D model instead. A work facet which is equally messy... as I would found out few hours later. Two previews of the work done until now follows:

Although the rear and front bumpers looks OK and ready, the template of these are non-existent, and I will need to repaint the bumpers according to the pictures I have found in the net. Plus; the rear wing is too large, and so it might be time to found a better one already made for GTR2 (if non-Simbin made permission will be necessary). The 3d front bumpers and rear part are part of JorritVD FiA GT 2005 MOD (Version 1!). I luckily kept the thing on my HD! This mean I will have to send him an e-mail.

Another thing: although the front and rear bumpers may seem to make the car ready to roll, the chassis is still too wide - especially there are problems with the front track. Please refer to this document to compare the difference between the 360 GT/360 Challenge widths (let me know if there are problems accessing the doc).
Back to the data I promised:

... What else? Uh, yeah, it will probably take one month before I will finally solve the .CAS madness related to the JMB 2000 360s... Currently the model may appear in-game, but as soon the car is loaded on the track, the sim crashes... And my trace doesn't seem to help being too short (I must remember to lenghten it a bit more ). I'm not too optimist on that, but I am sure with time it will be solved.
The real problem will then be recreating the real 360 Challenge front and rear track width: of course I can shorten the wheel-to-wheel distance, but as soon as I convert my .3DS model with 3DS Max and open it with 3D Sim Ed to convert it in a GTR2 format, the models lose at least the 75% of its detail. Ergo: the work would become useless. If you have followed my previous posts this is exactly the same problem I had with the JMB 2001 rear wing; reason why I will include a 3DS updated 360 Challenge model in the mod (along with the 2001 JMB curved rear wing) hoping somebody will find a way to insert these in the JMB-Michelotto Project in the future.

This is all my simracing colleagues, more data will be provided with the next communication.

P.s.: Yes, I do also have to update the livery!

P.p.s.: Ouf, to be perfectly precise one should update the car data written in the showroom as well... Will I ever remember that?

Last edited by bobwilliams; 20 September 17 at 10:22.
Unread 20 September 17, 10:36   #157
GTR233

nice

Last edited by GTR233; 20 September 17 at 15:52.
GTR233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 September 17, 09:27   #158
bobwilliams

Exclamation Stronger than me...

... And so I had to start meddling with a 3D model which I may never be able to successfully export in GTR2...

Luckily, and thanks to GTR233 kind attention, I may have a new help in translating the .3ds model into the sim. And - he can share some advices on the models themselves! Thanks Arthur for your desire to contribute.

This is just a sunday evening work.

EDIT: My mistake, there are no 3d model for the Ferrari Challenge non single-bolt rims! These have to be made from the 360GT BBS model!

So, in short, the plan is: finishing the 360 Challenge body and rims, and then starting panicking with my mod colleague Arthur Stepanov in order to enhance the bloody thing on GTR2. Let's keep fingers crossed; after all all the resources are available, wheels included.

P.s.: given the fact a whole new MOD appendix (a new 3d model and physic... and sound files, which is the thing I fear most being the most difficult area to accomplish) has forced its road through the main project, I believe we seriously should delay the final release date - it would not be wise working on it until the end of the year only, so let's switch the original deadline to a saner 30/06/2018, wouldn't you agree?

...This even because it seems my original life decision to be taken in the next january is shifting into something less of an 'hardcore' choice. So, no hurry on my behalf.

Last edited by bobwilliams; 28 September 17 at 17:08.
Unread 28 September 17, 10:13   #159
GTR233

great news ... except for new delay
Unread 1 October 17, 22:32   #160
bobwilliams

Arrow Man, if it's late!

... And still my daughter hasn't fall asleep!!!

Sans mots.

Just a moment to thank Arthur of his help which is proving essential for the current 3D MOD development!

Keep up with the radio signals fellow simracers!

Last edited by bobwilliams; 2 October 17 at 09:01.
Unread 2 October 17, 12:05   #161
GTR233

nice work from arthur and you
Unread 16 October 17, 01:08   #162
SilverSYlph

I'm actually working on the 2000 JMB car that was raced at Magny Cours when the car got the new aero kit.

I just gotta figure out the logo infront of the OMP and whatever logo that is next to the fuel cell cap.
SilverSYlph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 October 17, 05:54   #163
alexmezza
Premium Member

Near OMP, it's GFL 23 sponsor (personalised sports wear)...
Unread 16 October 17, 11:51   #164
bobwilliams

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSYlph View Post
I'm actually working on the 2000 JMB car that was raced at Magny Cours when the car got the new aero kit.

I just gotta figure out the logo infront of the OMP and whatever logo that is next to the fuel cell cap.
Hey SilverSylph!

Thanks for your help! Looks like the contributor list is growing and growing up!

While realising the livery, SilverSylph, just take into account two things:

1- The 360 JMB Challenge livery does not presents a standard dark green: its green is in some way opalescent, much like the effect represented in the TVR T400 Rs available in our beloved sim. I believe mostly this is obtained by placing a smaller reticule of lighter green flakes under the dark green sprayed area themselves (note this is the method our 2D Artist LeGhoul used in our 2001 spec 360 JMB GTs). These 'colour flakes' effects are de facto present in the Simbin made TVR T400 R skin I pictured;

See?

2- I suggest you to wait before recolouring the front splitter and rear bumper zone of your 360 JMB Challenge: the reason is I am working on the JMB Challenge 3D model, and I don't want you to redo things because of a different 3d bumper and splitter that will be installed (although even the front wheelarches will sport an important modification, I can see the biggest work has been done at the front and the rear). Plus, remember the black 360 GT ("non-Challenge") front splitter has been only used by the JMB team in the 2000 private test undergone in Fiorano (yes, the Ferrari private circuit).

... This is true except for a JMB 360 pre-GT version which could benefit from a revised (black) front splitter in the 2000 "6 Ore di Vallelunga" (still, not yet the Simbin made 360 GT splitter as you can see).

3- ...Welcome aboard, SilverSylph! You deserve full credit, sir (and you too alexmezza)!

Lastly... I beg your forgiveness for I could not upload anymore news on the project, but things went fairly smooth these last days, so excpect an update later this day.
Unread 16 October 17, 12:56   #165
Maxellero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilliams View Post
Plus, remember the black 360 GT ("non-Challenge") front splitter has been only used by the JMB team in the 2000 private test undergone in Fiorano (yes, the Ferrari private circuit).
That's actually not true, this version has been used in last round of 2000 FIA GT race

https://youtu.be/KGcgzJBWZ28?t=26m17s
Maxellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 October 17, 14:36   #166
alexmezza
Premium Member

@ bobwilliams :

Why not using a colored specular texture for "chameleon" effect ?

Unread 16 October 17, 15:51   #167
SilverSYlph

I've never actually messed with the specular textures before in GTR2, I'm too used to doing that kinda stuff with alpha channels
Unread 16 October 17, 19:11   #168
bobwilliams

Arrow The 3D-thread and 2D-dream

@ Maxellero: LOOL! My mistake. Thanks for the correction. It looks like we might end with two THREE different models for the 2000 JMB Racing Ferrari 360*.

@ alexmezza: Excellent, alex! That's exactly the effect I would LOVE to recreate! I don't know a thing on specular textures, i'm lucky already I know what's an alpha channel (wait, what was that? ), though I will be look after this, this is too important to be overlooked!

...Now off to the work done!

---------------

In brief, this is the scenario:

Point #5 has been 'overwritten' thanks to the kind volunteer offer of Siversylph!

Now the most difficult part on the projects have arisen:

- Get the special metallic effect as underlined by alexmezza (I am the first in line to require learning the technique, which will prove to be useful in the future as well!);
- Combine the 3D parts until a satisfying result has been reached;
- Err... send a PM to Arthur in order to coordinate ourselves on the nearest project objectives.

P.s.: sorry for having been extra-brief this time, but I already took all my time writing up a nice packed up weekly update, and then found, thanks to the lousy-stinking connection, everything deleted and myself in haste.

* = One Challenge, one Challenge-JMB, one Challenge JMB pre-GT

Last edited by bobwilliams; 17 October 17 at 16:31. Reason: Forgot to add a detail. :)
Unread 16 October 17, 20:25   #169
alexmezza
Premium Member

About specular mapping :

I use 3DSimEd for this kind of work... an easy job...

For eg. open the TVR_T400R_TEX.gtr from GTR2 and check TVR_T400R_BODY1_MASK_04153.DDS and TVR_T400R_BODY1_MASK_04154.DDS. You will understand !!!
Unread 16 October 17, 22:26   #170
SilverSYlph

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilliams View Post
Hail to thee o simracers!

Just a picture to show you my progressess on the #62 2001 360 GT car. Compare the new quality template (made by our Grafik Berg Meister LeGhoul) with the old one made by Wildman. Kudos to the french modder, anyhow, because without his efforts we would have had no 2001 FiA GT season...

And thumbs up to my modding colleague which has greatly helped me with my duty by realising a very HQ template.

And I also completed the white 360 GT in its last details; now it's 100% complete.

With some luck in ten days this livery should be finished; I will then focus on the #63.
Any chance of sending me the ALTE, FirstAssur.com and AL Plast logos, I've tried searching for them with no luck.

I also manged to figure out the Body Mask, rather hard color to dial in but i got it close

Last edited by SilverSYlph; 17 October 17 at 00:06.
Unread 17 October 17, 17:12   #171
bobwilliams

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSYlph View Post
Any chance of sending me the ALTE, FirstAssur.com and AL Plast logos, I've tried searching for them with no luck.

I also manged to figure out the Body Mask, rather hard color to dial in but i got it close

Well, just you wait for you are going to be dialed in as another official Berlinetta fan...

Looks like it'll become a master work (just add that bit of 'shocking green'!)!

(PM sent btw)

EDIT: Ah, freak, we also gotta remember to apply the chrome to the future BBS five-bolts rims, the following 360 GT single-bolt BBS rims weren't as shiny.
Unread 19 October 17, 00:03   #172
SilverSYlph

99% Done with chrome'ish green and headlights. Only missing the SAC logo and there is a logo on the wing however i haven't found a picture that even shows me it.

Unread 19 October 17, 13:37   #173
Maxellero

Wooooooow it looks incredible
Maxellero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 October 17, 08:06   #174
bobwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxellero View Post
Wooooooow it looks incredible
Yes, excellent work, Silversylph, I'd say the 360 PRE-GT is near completion! Although for this PRE-360 GT version we'll still have to apply the LeGhoul clearer rims (this time with the Pzero logos) and fix the front GT-style bumper; can you manage to delete via your Painting program the dark grey covers which run all around the front air vents (which is the place where the radiators are positioned, btw) ? If you check the reference pictures you will notice the 360 PRE-GT bumper had no dark grey covers at all (I know I can be easily hated ) ... Otherwise let's fix it via the 3DS and then via 2D!

... Don't hate me Silversylph , it's just that I would love to recreate it perfectly!
Still, your "engraved" yellow light covers are simply astounding!!! A wonderful detail!

Having said that, Silversylph, don't mind for the rear wing logo, I believe I have only seen a picture with the 'Aprimatic' logo on the side of the wing itself. Uh, check back post #156

EDIT: Um, I fear we'll have to place a different grill model... the current one has holes too big in it... I believe I have seen a 360 GT with a finer grill, though... probably already made by the Simbin themselves. I will check this sunday evening.

Maxellero, I also hope we'll surprise you by realising a fully working 360 JMB Challenge! We have Arthur which falls silent, but as soon I took contact with him he immediately proposed an easy and simple solution for the new BBS rims, as said!

Should we chose this solution, and not a new 3D model with realistic exposed bolts, we'll "only" have to narrow the tires width and apply chrome and logos to the rims.

P.s.: I still haven't gave up for that dam...dearly curved rear wing!!!!

Last edited by bobwilliams; 20 October 17 at 08:26.
Unread 1 November 17, 17:17   #175
bobwilliams

Arrow It will be more difficult than I thought...

...And it will be time consuming!

I am sorry for having delivered no news recently - in the meanwhile real life obligations took the precedence (I had to create my 47 page long personal portfolio for a company which works in racing games nonetheless!... I found some position opened and I could not resist!).

After the current wheel will be finished, I will have to deal with other two 3d files of the moving front left wheel, so that the car will show the correct movement of the bolts while driven. I will have to do the same for the right front wheel (I will obviously proceed creating a mirroring copy), and then there are the rear ones.

Of course I will need to map the new wheels with the new chrome textures and its BBS logos - and its bolts - and I have zero experience in this... Then, how to skin a brand new piece of 3d applied to an old model (I'm thinking to the wheel bolts)???

Let's first finish the models in 3DS Max, I would say, then, I will have to fight once again with the GMT format conversion problems. Which I really hope I will solve, the sooner the better.

Now let me go back to modeling; I have to resize the front left wheel width according to the real 360 Challenge treads...

...All the best, in the meanwhile!