NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GTR2 > Power and Glory Mod

Unread 13 July 16, 09:58   #1
sjuswede

Default Installing in Wine

I really love GTR2 and the PnG mod, but I am no longer running any Windows operating systems at home. Therefore I am now running GTR2 under Wine on Linux, which is working eminently well. There are some small issues with the force feedback, but nothing serious. I'm also running several mods with no issue.

However, when I try to install the PnG mod, either the 3.0 installer or the 3.2 installer, I run into problems. The install seems to go fine, until I select language, and the installer proceeds to do something with that. I get a message about the installer compressing backups, and an access violation, and the install aborts.

At that point I can not run PnG. When I try it simply does an instant CTD.

Is it possible to unpack PnG and install it manually to get around the installer problem? Or is there another solution available?
sjuswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 July 16, 11:09   #2
sjuswede

I tried it out some more. I can start the GTR2.exe fine, and PnG starts. What I can't run is the PnG launcher.

Does the PnG launcher rely on any libraries? Like the VC++ redistributable libraries? I can't find any technical details on this, but I suspect I am looking in the wrong place.
Unread 14 July 16, 14:59   #3
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Linux makes everyday tasks so much more interesting, eh? I take my hat off now ..

Well, the Launcher thingy is not built with any Microsoft compiler. I really don't like the idea of .NET framework(s) or even C++ libraries when installing/using small stuff, so I rely on Power Basic here . Besides standard Windows libraries the Launcher also uses a GDI library (also comes with Windows) for some alpha tricks.

I don't seem to have any dependency walkers installed any more so I'm not able to give complete answers right away, I'm sorry. But if problems persist, I'll try to find one.

I have never tested the Launcher under Wine btw. So if you manage to make things work for you, there might be other interested in your findings (well.. me too ).

"installer compressing backups.." hmm let's see. Those backup files are compressed with MAKECAB.EXE which is also a standard command line tool in Windows. So you might want to check you have that somewhere available (in PATH. The actual call doesn't include any specific paths).

I'm not sure what dependencies MAKECAB.exe has, but pretty sure they are quite basic, probably a bunch of standard Windows dll's.

Was this any help for you?

cheers.. aSa C[_]
aSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 July 16, 15:11   #4
sjuswede

Thanks for the reply. It seems it doesn't matter that the language install fails, I can run GTR2.exe fine anyway, and enter the game. Of course, my player profile is not very good, as I can't run the launcher to fix it.

The crash happens in a call to gdiplus.dll. Doesn't matter if I use the Wine version or the native Windows 7 version. The same kind of crash when I install, by the by. It never even gets to trying to run any external program, I get a gdiplus.dll crash there as well.

Is it possible to get a launcher which does no alpha tricks? I have a feeling those are not supported by Wine.
Unread 14 July 16, 16:24   #5
aSa
One of The P&G guys

My great alpha trick is just a use of an alpha channel in some simple graphics operations. If Wine weren't supporting alpha channels at all, a whole lot of programs wouldn't work correctly. I suppose even desktop icons would be square and opaque if there weren't any kind of alpha support.

Googling with gdiplus.dll and wine gives links where people have been using "a helper script" called Winetricks to select and download needed components for different kind of problems with libraries. Do you know that script? The shell script is here. When run without parameters it should display a GUI based selection menu. It might be able to do something more than I'm able to tell you (I don't have Wine knowledge).

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 14 July 16, 18:04   #6
sjuswede

I've tried both with Wine's gdiplus and with the native gdiplus installed by winetricks. No real difference.

But the PnG launcher shows a window before crashing. It has text on it saying "checking for update status" (!!!). I have not asked for updates, and do not want them (ever!), so I have no idea why it would be doing that. Can I turn that off? It makes me very uneasy when programs do things like that without my explicit permission. And also, it will not get anywhere through my firewall (nor will I let it), so I hope that is not the issue.

The actual error is a page fault on read, and the backtrace says it's in gdiplus. Almost as if it tries to use de-allocated memory or something like that. That could be a red herring, of course. I haven't managed to hook a debugger up to see what actually happens. I will try to get that up to see what is going on.
Unread 14 July 16, 18:33   #7
GTR233

Why don't you intall it with windows on another pc (if you don't have dual boot) then make a full PnG backup archive, copy to your linux station and extract anywhere you want
GTR233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 July 16, 18:45   #8
sjuswede

I have no access to a Windows PC.
Unread 14 July 16, 19:15   #9
aSa
One of The P&G guys

sjuswede:
There's a registry file in the attachment that should disable both online updates (if you have an older Launcher) and the affinity adjust (how many cpu cores will be available; GTR2 defaults to just 1). The affinity adjust might be a bit too sexy for Wine. Some systems do have problems with that even in Windows so off with it.

The "problem" with my registry file is that it has to be fed to the correct Windows user account as it uses the Current User tree/path. The Launcher uses the same path too so the user account must be the same.

The Launcher also checks a local updates folder under PnG game folder for some special needs.

The Launcher outputs some sort of debug log too, but reading that needs an external Windows tool called DebugView. I have no clue if that works under Wine.. but you would need to start the DebugView before the Launcher and leave it running in the background while running the Launcher. It will collect the debug messages from the Launcher (and from other programs too if they are using that method).

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Attached Files
File Type: zip PNG3_Launcher_settings_1.zip (281 Bytes, 3 views)
Unread 14 July 16, 19:59   #10
sjuswede

DebugView seems to hook up nicely to the PnG Launcher. I just let it run at default settings, and this is what it gave me when I started the PnG3.exe file:

00000001 0.00000000 [39] :PnG3.exe:PBMAIN» ~~GTR2 existence check~~
00000002 0.00006680 [39] :PnG3.exe:PBMAIN» ~~Mutex init~~
00000003 0.00015360 [39] :PnG3.exe:PBMAIN» gExename_main$=PnG3
00000004 0.01557610 [39] (USER):PnG3.exe:SHOWMAINPROC» ========== starting ==========
00000005 0.01778560 [39] (USER):PnG3.exe:SHOWMAINPROC» using reg folder: Software\PnG3Launcher\Startup_1
00000006 0.01825880 [39] (USER):PnG3.exe:GETPATHS» PNG profile write test succeeded, assuming XP-style profile(s)
00000007 0.01843880 [39] (USER):PnG3.exe:SHOWMAINPROC» collected user mode paths:
00000008 0.01843880 [39] userMYDOCS$=C:\users\jesper\My Documents\
00000009 0.01843880 [39] userLOCALAPPDATA$=C:\users\jesper\Local Settings\Application Data\
00000010 0.01843880 [39] userCOMMONAPPDATA$=C:\users\Public\Application Data\
00000011 0.01843880 [39] userPROGRAMFILES$=C:\Program Files\
00000012 0.01843880 [39] userGTR2PATH$=C:\GTR2\
00000013 0.01843880 [39] userPNGPATH$=C:\PnG3\
00000014 0.01843880 [39] userPNGPROFILEPATH$=C:\PnG3\UserData\
00000015 0.01859560 [39] (USER):PnG3.exe:SHOWMAINPROC» going to OFFLINE mode
00000016 0.01874670 [39] (USER):PnG3.exe:SHOWMAINPROC» Checking local update ini for servers (C:\PnG3\PnG_Update.ini)
00000017 0.01920830 [39] (USER):PnG3.exe:SHOWMAINPROC» -- Selected Server = 1

At this point it (that is PnG3.exe) blew up with:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xcb326004 at address 0x25ce519c (thread 0028), starting debugger...

Unfortunately that debugger (built into Wine) is pretty worthless, and gives me nothing more that seems useful.

I should add that this is with the registry entries you provided added to the user.reg, under the key the launcher apparently uses (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PnG3Launcher\Startup_1 ) as well as the usual one (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PnG3Launcher\Startup) to be safe. I expect the second key is because I have run the installer a few times now, trying to make this work.

My c:\PnG3\PnG_Update.ini contains:

[PnG]
UpdateLevel=0
ExitAtLaunch=0

That's what I have so far.

Last edited by sjuswede; 14 July 16 at 20:02. Reason: Smilies everywhere
Unread 14 July 16, 21:32   #11
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Thank you for that debug log. It looks like it doesn't even try setting new affinity values yet, so that is not making life difficult. Yes, it must be the Gdi part which traps too. It might be the Gdi initialization trapping as later Gdi function calls have simple error handlers and I don't see those messages in the log.

You can have several PnG installations per user, and everyone of them have separate settings in registry for the Launcher (PNG3.exe). The path in the settings is used to pick the correct Settings "folder" to use.

cheers.. aSa C[_]