NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Unread 5 January 17, 13:55   #1
davehenrie

Default Can't install Nvidia drivers

I've assembled a scrap-heap of a computer by taking parts from several old systems that were replaced. I am stuck though, because all the Nvidia drivers I've tried to install for the video card will not complete the installation process because Windows/Nvidia Installer sees the video card as only a standard VGA part.
Here is the odd collection:
GTX 770 2gb Video card
Windows Vista 32bit Home Version
8 GB of System Ram, although only 4 are reported due to the 32bit Vista.
MSI Motherboard. P67a-G45
I5 Quad Core 2500 (I think)64bit.

I've gotten some of the usual drivers installed for networking, usb, etc. but I just cannot find a way to get the box to accept any vid drivers. Part of the problem is the 64bit chip paired with 32bit Vista. Most of the drivers I find are for the 64 bit variety and that was one of the first roadblocks when the installer reported I had the wrong version of Windows.
Is there any way to bypass the installer utility and manually install the Nv drivers?
davehenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 January 17, 14:45   #2
Eurostc

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.64.html

not sure if it will help 32bit driver for Vista
Eurostc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 January 17, 20:50   #3
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
I've assembled a scrap-heap of a computer by taking parts from several old systems that were replaced. I am stuck though, because all the Nvidia drivers I've tried to install for the video card will not complete the installation process because Windows/Nvidia Installer sees the video card as only a standard VGA part.
Here is the odd collection:
GTX 770 2gb Video card
Windows Vista 32bit Home Version
8 GB of System Ram, although only 4 are reported due to the 32bit Vista.
MSI Motherboard. P67a-G45
I5 Quad Core 2500 (I think)64bit.

I've gotten some of the usual drivers installed for networking, usb, etc. but I just cannot find a way to get the box to accept any vid drivers. Part of the problem is the 64bit chip paired with 32bit Vista. Most of the drivers I find are for the 64 bit variety and that was one of the first roadblocks when the installer reported I had the wrong version of Windows.
Is there any way to bypass the installer utility and manually install the Nv drivers?
Seriously Dave with that PC you should get W7 Home Prem 64bit on it

Sandy 2500 + GTX770 = great system still

Is the board B3 stepping ?

You most likely need to update the Bios
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...html#down-bios

Did you try Try latest drivers ?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...n-driver&Vista 32

For Nvidia use NV site select Vista 32bit

The last driver supports that combo is May 2016 - 365.19 - WHQL

I would try my driver I still use for a GTX970 358.50 WHQL it is even earlier version
That is 32bit version > http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/92211/en-us

Try extracting the driver and deleting every folder in the package except DisplayDriver and NV12.
Then run the extracted setup in custom mode.

For INFO in threads on CPU ( i5 type ? ) and GPU use CPUZ and GPU Z
Once you install these programs to a temp folder keep the folder
no need to install them again they will run standalone on any PC.

CPUZ
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

GPUZ
https://www.techpowerup.com/download...-gpu-z-v1-16-0

P.S.
Quote:
Is the board B3 stepping ?
Doh yes it is the P67a signifies that...

Afterthought.......... You did disable the onboard graphics in bios hey

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 5 January 17 at 21:42.
DurgeDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 January 17, 03:11   #4
davehenrie

I WOULD put W7 on it...except I'm doing this on the CHEAP. The case is the only new part. It is for my wife and she had a crappy box that had Vista so that is the OS I will have to use until I can find a free 100$$ or so. I'll dig into your links thanks...
And Euro, I found that link last night, but it was a dead end. No access to the files once you click on the link. But I did find those drivers elsewhere and it STILL wouldn't work.
thanks both of you!
dh
Unread 6 January 17, 04:44   #5
DucFreak

Quote:
I WOULD put W7 on it...except I'm doing this on the CHEAP. The case is the only new part. It is for my wife and she had a crappy box that had Vista so that is the OS I will have to use until I can find a free 100$$ or so.
Understood but, Windows Vista, and a 32-bit version (even worse)...? That's crippling perfectly good hardware like the one you've gathered.

IMHO, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit is ideal. If not possible, then Windows 10 64-bit (Home or Pro).

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit retail key licenses are still available through Ebay at really cheap prices, although there's always some risk with that (getting a key that becomes deactivated weeks or months later, etc).

Currently, what most budget system builders are doing is getting an OEM key license of Windows 10 or Windows 7 (64-bit versions) from certain known websites that sell games. These got hold of a bazillion of licenses of Win7 and Win10, and are now selling them at really great prices. All legal and legit.

For example: https://www.kinguin.net/catalogsearc...dex/?q=windows

Check this helpfull video:

Last edited by DucFreak; 6 January 17 at 05:03. Reason: added video
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 January 17, 00:59   #6
pistoncup
Uploader

Quote:
try 7zip
right click on the .exe and select open with 7zip then extract the contents to a folder.

I have a Gigabyte GTX770 2 gig OC version in my cupboard. I will upload the Win8_Win7_Vista_32bit drivers from the disc for you. version 320.08
Its 165mb so will take an hour or so for me to upload to media fire. I will pm you a download link when it's ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
Currently, what most budget system builders are doing is getting an OEM key license of Windows 10 or Windows 7 (64-bit versions) from certain known websites that sell games. These got hold of a bazillion of licenses of Win7 and Win10, and are now selling them at really great prices. All legal and legit.

For example: https://www.kinguin.net/catalogsearc...dex/?q=windows
no W10 retail keys available . a bit of price jump for OEM outside of the USA as well. still 1/2 price compared to retail but that's guaranteed legit.

They get the windows licenses from old government PC's from auctions and the likes ?

Last edited by pistoncup; 7 January 17 at 01:45.
pistoncup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 January 17, 02:29   #7
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Try extracting the driver and deleting every folder in the package except DisplayDriver and NV12.
Then run the extracted setup in custom mode.
yes winrar 7 zip anything will work.

Same with any driver lots of intel ones you can extract which makes your archive tiny then just install in device manager browse Drivers archive and leave everything extracted.

That way you do not get lan software and other stuff installing

320.xx sounds better then my 358.50 although it works fine on every card GTX460 up
also GT600-700s

Again make sure the onboard video is disabled completely it may be reading that first.
Unread 7 January 17, 08:05   #8
davehenrie

No luck on getting that system to recognize the video card...(which WAS working prior to this install) But I did find ONE TEENY TINY mistake on my own box. A while back, Ihad to unplug cables and such to make a move from one room to another. The graphics on this system were sharp but the colors seemed washed out. I am using a Sony TV so I just put it down to old TV blues. But I swapped out my cable in an attempt to fix the Vista box and had to scrounge around for another HDMI cable. I must have a half dozen lying around. Well SHAZAM! I don't know what I had done wrong with the old HDMI cable, but plugging this one in has exploded my colors! I wonder if It was either not fully plugged in or actually in an incorrect port. I've tried it on 3 different games and windows itself....I am much happier with MY graphics. Now...if I can just arm-wrestle the old cobblebox.
With the bios for that other system, I could NOT find any option that covered onboard video. Bios's used to be simple and straight forward, now you have to be some Egypt-toligist to understand the settings.
Unread 7 January 17, 11:41   #9
NotRacingNow

Have a look at this page if you're interested in Windows 10:

http://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-...s-10-for-free/

I've used the first method for a couple of friends who were short on cash
NotRacingNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 January 17, 20:49   #10
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

I must be having a relapse ? lool

I could have sworn my MSI P67a - GD65 had video outputs ?
I will swear ?

Actually I sent it and a 2500K, ram and a HDD to a Dave ( Hurrycane) from rFactor2 in USA

Then I go look at all pics and not 1 has a video output ?

wha ? 2500 is Intel HD graphics

Even my H97 has onboard on the back panel

I must be going crazy

I even remembering testing that software ( can't think of the name ) that combined IntelHD and your dedicated card but it was all bs.
Unread 9 January 17, 15:31   #11
davehenrie

Well I found a relatively low-priced version of W7 so I put that on and having the full newer 64bit OS finally woke up the video card. The only problem, now, is I used Acronis to clone the hard-drive onto a 2nd older drive. It worked only partially. All the folders are there, but they seem to be empty. Of course I found this out ONLY AFTER I installed W7 which wiped the source drive clean. .. .. . .
Unread 9 January 17, 19:59   #12
DurgeDriven
Premium Member

Quote:
Well I found a relatively low-priced version of W7 so I put that on and having the full newer 64bit OS finally woke up the video card. The only problem, now, is I used Acronis to clone the hard-drive onto a 2nd older drive. It worked only partially. All the folders are there, but they seem to be empty. Of course I found this out ONLY AFTER I installed W7 which wiped the source drive clean. .. .. . .
You can't use a 32bit image anyways

Rebuild 64bit with only basic drivers and software, clean it up and make a fresh image.

Smaller the better

If you are talking about some incremental thing they are poison mate

Always do a full image using the Rescue Media aka Bootable thumb drive or DVD

Don't install Acronis on your PC it is not required.

Make Rescue Media..menus are basically same name all years
https://kb.acronis.com/content/58816

Last edited by DurgeDriven; 10 January 17 at 05:53.