NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GTR2

Unread 25 April 09, 02:26   #1
sunalp2
Grease Monkey

Lightbulb Race2Play Car Set Up developer

This is a great utility to help you set up a car.

It is an XL sheet, which acts like an Race Engineer.

You do some laps, answer questions about how the car feels, then it suggests solutions to the handling problems.

Thanks to the Author Tim McArthur for permission to link it here.

Set Up engineer

Just make a folder on your desktop (name it whatever you like) and extract the file in there.

Last edited by sunalp2; 4 June 09 at 00:41. Reason: Updated link
sunalp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 April 09, 03:25   #2
TMcArthur
Banned

Setup developer tool v2.0 released

Master the secrets of race car Setup Fu with straight-up questions and answers using the Race2Play Setup Developer Tool!

This interactive program steps the user through the major areas of race car setup and tuning, asking simple questions about the telemetry readings and behavior of the car under specific race conditions. "How is the car reacting at initial turn-in?" "How does the car feel from mid-corner to corner-exit when on the throttle?" "What type of track are you preparing for?"

Choosing from a menu of possible responses to the questions ("Sluggish turn-in", "Oversteer", "Long sweeping corners"), the user describes the car and the program calculates possible setup changes accordingly. Questions asked. Questions answered.

The Race2Play Setup Developer Tool covers the following areas of race car setup and tuning:

* Springs and antiroll bars
* Tire pressures and camber
* Caster and toe
* Gearing
* Differential
* Weight distribution
* Dampers
* Aerodynamics

Download the Setup Developer Tool

Last edited by TMcArthur; 4 June 09 at 18:16.
TMcArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 April 09, 04:09   #3
sunalp2
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
Done.
Unread 25 April 09, 12:21   #4
weedtokaz

yea been using this for a while now great tool helped me loads with F1 on
rfactor
weedtokaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 April 09, 04:08   #5
night_owl2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedtokaz View Post
yea been using this for a while now great tool helped me loads with F1 on
rfactor
definately..... i actually learnt how to set up the cars with this tool, its really excellent and easy to use, use it enough and you'll memorise and learn all you need to set the cars up, i dont need to use it anymore but its gotta take credit for 80% of my setup knowledge
night_owl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 April 09, 20:39   #6
AllanGP

Hi,

I downloaded this in January (and again just now) but each time when I try to open it I get an error "File Error: Data may have been lost". You then need to press the Okay button 10 times (yes, ten times) before the file opens.

I'm guessing there is more help in the Yellow boxes than I'm seeing (because of the errors?) as it certainly is not obvious what to put in the yellow boxes as you try (or as I imagine you would do) to work your way through it.

I'm using Excel 2000, so that might be the problem?
AllanGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 April 09, 02:36   #7
TMcArthur
Banned

That would be the problem (Excel 2000). It was designed for Excel 2003+

I recommend downloading OpenOffice (free) and try it with that. Or, the EXE version of the program will be out in a few weeks after some basic testing.
Unread 27 April 09, 02:38   #8
sunalp2
Grease Monkey

Quote:
That would be the problem (Excel 2000). It was designed for Excel 2003+

I recommend downloading OpenOffice (free) and try it with that. Or, the EXE version of the program will be out in a few weeks after some basic testing.

I have Open Office and it works fine.
Unread 27 April 09, 12:18   #9
AllanGP

Tim,

Thanks for that. The new version looks great (from the screen shot) and I think I'll wait for that. From the intro screen I've read I realise it will be a long process and I may as well start with your latest advice. In the meantime I'll just keep practising!!
Unread 1 May 09, 16:35   #10
lukasz

Yeah, good idea. It's like in real life when the mechanics ask you questions how the car feels.
lukasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 09, 05:09   #11
night_owl2007

only one potential downer with this developer is i dont know if its totally consistent (ie 100% right) cos my friend is very very good with setups and he reckons that if you're getting exit of corner oversteer (and the developer section dampers) says increase front rebound or decrease rear bump, my friend reckons this is wrong, decreasing rear bump is right but to increase front rebound is a strange decision according to him, also he reckons the directional corner damper instructions are wrong too... as mentioned i used this as the guide/instruction for my setups and its been fine, but im just mentioning this in case there is an inconsistency...
night_owl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 09, 06:25   #12
TMcArthur
Banned

All setup troubleshooting can be resolved in numerous ways, Dampers especially can be adjusted multiple ways to accomplish the same one task. Adjustments on any one of the 4 dampers can resolve that corner-exit oversteer, each in different ways and varying degrees of repair. That is the beauty (and art) of damping when really understood.

The advise given within the developer is not my own, it is simply compiled from real world car setup theory used by professional real-world drivers. The program itself has also been successfully used and verified by numerous real world race teams (damping section specifically in fact).
Unread 11 May 09, 22:28   #13
TMcArthur
Banned

Version 2 is 99% complete. Before public release I'd like to include some translations into other languages (highest requested item from v1). If anyone would like to assist by translating some English TXT files into your native language(s) please contact me via email: tmcarthur@race2play.com

Otherwise, you can add your own additional translations to the program even after public release. I made sure to build it into the system this time.
Unread 3 June 09, 17:31   #14
AllanGP

Tim,

Just been e-mailed the link to your new version today from R2P. I'm looking forward to using it.

Maybe the link can be posted on this thread to the new version?

and Thank you.

Allan
Unread 3 June 09, 17:53   #15
TMcArthur
Banned

Version 2 was released today and can be downloaded from http://www.race2play.com/special/setup_tool

I updated the link in post #2. Sunalp will need to update the first post.
Unread 3 June 09, 21:29   #16
vfr

Is there any explination about the pitstopstrat concerning the values you get on the bottom.

You have your score and next too it standard 1/2/3 stop score.

Knowing if you have to do 2 stops that both need to have same amount off fuel due to game limits.
vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 June 09, 23:09   #17
TMcArthur
Banned

The small red corners in cells are help texts. Hold your mouse over them for the pop-up text

The help for the "Your Score" cell states that the "smaller the score the better the strategy". Basically, think of the score as time lost during a race because of worn tires or extra weight of fuel... as opposed to having the optimal 1-liter of fuel and fresh tires all race-long.
Unread 4 June 09, 00:42   #18
sunalp2
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Version 2 was released today and can be downloaded from http://www.race2play.com/special/setup_tool

I updated the link in post #2. Sunalp will need to update the first post.

Done.
Unread 5 August 09, 06:39   #19
TMcArthur
Banned

Default Version 2.1 update

The Race2Play Setup Developer Tool, an interactive program for mastering the secrets of Setup Fu, has been updated. Version 2.1 includes the integration of Oval Racing theory, as well as new sections for track bars, spring rubbers and wedge. It also features an available fuel calculator, minor fixes and more.

This interactive program steps the user through the major areas of race car setup and tuning, asking simple questions about the telemetry readings and behavior of the car under specific race conditions. "How is the car reacting at initial turn-in?" "How does the car feel from mid-corner to corner-exit when on the throttle?" "What type of track are you preparing for?"

Choosing from a menu of possible responses to the questions ("Sluggish turn-in", "Oversteer", "Long sweeping corners"), the user describes the car and the program calculates possible setup changes accordingly. Questions asked. Questions answered.

The Race2Play Setup Developer Tool covers the following areas of race car setup and tuning:

* Springs, spring rubbers, antiroll bars, and trackbars
* Tire pressures and camber
* Caster and toe
* Gearing
* Differential
* Weight distribution and wedge
* Dampers
* Aerodynamics
* Pit Strategy calculator
* Fuel usage calculator

Download the Setup Developer Tool v2.1

Unread 26 August 09, 20:02   #20
AllanGP

Tim,

At last started using this tonight.

I'm working through tab to tab (first tab very helpful in curing most if not all the understeer I had at AMS Renault with the Elise).

However I then went to input my tyre temps from a run in GTR2; GTR2 crashed !! Has anyone else had this problem??

As it happened I actually tried using it a couple of nights ago but GTR2 crashed then but I put that down to a couple of other programmes running but tonight I only had the 2.1 tool running and GTR2.

I've been looking forward to trying this for sometime but if it keeps crashing GTR2 it won't be much help?

Cheers, Allan
Unread 27 August 09, 00:21   #21
TMcArthur
Banned

Hi Allen.

I havent heard any one else with this problem and I cant say I have ever run into it either (I have multiple PCs so this is run on a separate PC). You may want to try one thing though;

Open the Config.ini file and increase the Wait number. I believe it is 0.250 (quarter of a second) by default which does occupy a fair amount of CPU. Try 0.500 or even 1.0 (1 full second). This will delay the suggestions slightly, but take much less CPU.

If you installed to the default location, you can find the Config.ini at
C:\Program Files\Race2Play\Setup Developer 2\Config.ini

Please do let me know if this helps
Unread 27 August 09, 13:33   #22
WhataMack

Although this thread and the developer utility are helpful, I think in the interests of full disclosure to the NoGrip forum members, the first post or two in the thread should state clearly that access to most of the functionality requires payment to the developer, by signing up to the Basic Membership of $7.99 per month (at least that's how I interpret it). Yes, that's posted on the Race to Play site, but imo it's easy to miss it.
WhataMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 August 09, 07:31   #23
sunalp2
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataMack View Post
Although this thread and the developer utility are helpful, I think in the interests of full disclosure to the NoGrip forum members, the first post or two in the thread should state clearly that access to most of the functionality requires payment to the developer, by signing up to the Basic Membership of $7.99 per month (at least that's how I interpret it). Yes, that's posted on the Race to Play site, but imo it's easy to miss it.
I've never paid any money to Race2Play.

But I am a registered member from quite some time ago.
Unread 28 August 09, 17:56   #24
AllanGP

In my limited experience so far this tool can help a lot, long before you need to consider a subscription.

To be honest I'm expecting once I've worked my way through it, I will think a subscription will be good value anyway.

Just like subscribing here is a good idea as well.

Allan
Unread 28 August 09, 18:06   #25
WhataMack

My point was that there's kind of a "Hey! " feeling when you download the utility, start using the first few steps (which in all honesty are the easiest steps in setting up imo) and all of a sudden you get the "you need to subscribe to a membership" message to have access to any of the actually useful features.
WhataMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 August 09, 20:22   #26
TMcArthur
Banned

The tool has many options available for guest-account holders, however we do reserve some of the more technical aspects of the tool for those who contribute to the R2P-community and it's development. The tool is an integrated part of the R2P service as a whole, and as such there is much more to be had by becoming a contributing member than just usage of the tool.

My advice; cut one fast-food meal out of your month and give it a try. Do the full experience; community, events, blogs, stats, setup-tool, teams, etc. I promise you will get more enjoyment in that month then a fast-food meal will give you... and no 'runs' to boot

WhataMack, I'd be happy to help you get some Premium access time, then decide if it is worth it. Just toss me a PM on the site if you want to take my offer.
Unread 11 September 09, 12:26   #27
TexRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanGP View Post
Tim,

At last started using this tonight.

I'm working through tab to tab (first tab very helpful in curing most if not all the understeer I had at AMS Renault with the Elise).

However I then went to input my tyre temps from a run in GTR2; GTR2 crashed !! Has anyone else had this problem??

As it happened I actually tried using it a couple of nights ago but GTR2 crashed then but I put that down to a couple of other programmes running but tonight I only had the 2.1 tool running and GTR2.

I've been looking forward to trying this for sometime but if it keeps crashing GTR2 it won't be much help?

Cheers, Allan
I believe the problem you're having isn't related to the setup tool, it's because of GTR2 crashing when you alt-tab out to the desktop. You have to go to fullscreen mode before alt-tabbing out.

As long as you make sure you're in fullscreen before you alt-tab out, you'll never have any problems. Forget once or twice, crash!
TexRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 September 09, 17:19   #28
AllanGP

Well I think I understand but my GTR2 is always in "Full Screen" mode, from when I first load it. However I don't "do" anything to get it into full screen mode so maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by that?

To be honest I don't think it is a Set Up Developer problem insofar as I get random GTR2 glitches (usually on downloaded tracks) even though I have a decent spec PC and I am not trying to run hi res or full detail.

It just always happens if I try to run the Set Up Developer with GTR2.

I've read elsewhere some motherboard/CPU/Graphics card combo's just don't like each other and I seem to have built one of those

I'm hoping to change my graphics card from a 512Mb 9800GT to a 1Gb 4870 card soon to see if that cures it.

I'm using the latest drivers.

Cheers, Allan
Unread 12 September 09, 06:45   #29
aSa
One of The P&G guys

I have a 4890 Radeon atm, and my GTR2 is able to take just few (if not at all) alt-tabs before crashing. So far I have tried all the "tricks" I've been told to, but none of them have made the alt-tabbing any better. The crashing seems to happen in the "restore-GTR2-session" phase.

Note: I can alt-tab while NOT in an active practise/race session. Like from the startup menu where I can pick tracks and cars, allows me to alt-tab successfully, iirc.

What I haven't tried yet is running GTR2 under some compatibility options (like what you had to use with old NFS5 : PU game). If there's somebody more familiar with the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit than me (last time I used it was years ago, and I was lucky with it..), might be kind enough and give it a try if something interesting pops out.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
aSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 September 09, 03:04   #30
mikecygk

I don't mind taking out a membership to try out the Setup developer tool, but I can't see any way on the website to un-subscribe, in case it's not something I stay with.

Can someone tell me how it's done?

Look like a great utility!

Thanks,

Mike
mikecygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 September 09, 03:31   #31
TMcArthur
Banned

Mike, all the billing is handled through Paypal so you would also cancel via Paypal. Otherwise, simply contact myself or Todd on site and we can help with that step if needed.
Unread 16 September 09, 19:22   #32
mikecygk

Quote:
Mike, all the billing is handled through Paypal so you would also cancel via Paypal. Otherwise, simply contact myself or Todd on site and we can help with that step if needed.

Thanks!

Mike
mikecygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 April 18, 04:13   #33
WowoW

Hello,

i know that old , but i searching it.
In the link : http://www.race2play.com/special/setup_tool
i don't see any download
can you tell me where exactly is it?
Or is the link dead, and where is it, or can we still find it : Thumbup
regards JB