NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GTR2 > Power and Glory Mod

Unread 4 November 12, 09:53   #1
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Exclamation The PnG Launcher Guide

PnG_Launcher Short Guide v1.0

General

Launcher is able to update your PnG installation, support tools and even itself. It also acts as a launchpad for several tools that you might have interest to use. Also is included a possibility to start the GTR2 engine (i.e. PnG) with debug mode startup parameters and an accompanying viewer for the results.

If for some reason you don't have the shortcut on your desktop, then you can also find it in the main installation folder of PnG, it's the file with the name "PnG3.exe".

The Keyswitch "Start"

By clicking this keyswitch you will start your PnG game. Depending on your Launcher setting in Setting menu, Launcher may exit itself after successfully starting PnG or stay in the background waiting for your return.

For troubleshooting purposes you may also start PnG in debug mode which will create a debug/trace log ("trace.txt"). The enabling command for this debug mode is found under the Tools menu ("Enable Start with Debug mode for PnG"). The next below it is a shortcut for viewing the resulted trace log to be used after debug start.

The Green Button "Player"

This will patch the player profile detected for PnG with:

- Optimum FFB settings made by the GTLWorkshop team
- Better, faster and more aggressive AI
- Better collisions in multiplayer
- "cockpit view" tyres and wheels for the Lotus 7
- Automatically activate antilock brakes (ABS) for some BMW CSLs (as in the real cars)
- Pitlane control system
- Locked pitlane camera incar
- No speed steering lock override (since P&G v3.1 this has been reverted to GTR2 original parameters, due to known issues)

Creating new player profiles will require re-applying this, if these enhancements are preferred. This patching is not necessary, but will greatly improve your PnG experience and is really recommended.

The Red Button "Update"

By clicking the "Update" button you start an update process, which will first download the latest list of updates (including possible Launcher updates). Depending on your OS configuration you may also need to grant admin rights/access to your computer (through User Access Control or UAC popup) for updates to be successfully applied.

Launcher itself will be updated first if an update for it is available. Because of the complexity of this running exe update, you may have to respond to more of those UAC popups when the Launcher is starting again and continuing the update process.

After that Launcher version check comes the actual game updates. Depending on your web connection speed and server capabilities, the download phase may take some time if the update is big in size. Download phase will use a folder [PNG]\UPDATES as a temporary saving location. Please note that if the update file to be downloaded from the web is found from this local location (and matches a file check), Launcher will use it instead of downloading it from the web again. These temporary update files will be removed after use.

NOTE: the red button "Update" was ment for P&G content updates through internet/servers.
This part of the updating function is not functional at this point (maybe in the future).

Tools Menu

The Tools menu consists of several utility starters and debug mode enabler/viewer.

VcrSaver is for automatic saving and renaming of Hot Laps. It will be started into background where it will look for any Hot Laps the game will save, examine the Hot Lap's headers and then rename it responsively. VcrSaver is also able to control the amount of saved Hot Laps spared based on track name and car's group or name.

With Verifier you can verify your PnG's file integrity (a files checker).

PnG-Addons will install a simple horn sound for your cars and/or customize the pitboard display with your preferred name (if these options are checked). Unchecking either of them will uninstall that feature. Please note that you may need to configure a keyboard or other mapping for the horn to function as it is not mapped to anything by default.

Running GTR2Config will allow you to change your video setup parameters for PnG.

With Dedicated Server you can start a local PnG server for your own fun with your friends.

If you need to troubleshoot PnG for some reason, you can use the toggle switch "Enable Start with Debug mode for PnG" to make next start to generate a debug trace log. Selecting this line again will toggle this feature on and off. It will also reset itself after using the Start button so it won't stay in effect for more than one time.

After you have used the debug mode, you can view the debug trace log with "View Debug mode text log from previous Debug mode startup". It will open the debug trace log in Notepad. An example of a (good) trace log is attached. In this example I went all the way to the track surface, but without any actual laps, before quitting everything.

Server selections menu

From here you can manually pick different servers (just) for that session (if available), if for example your primary server is too overloaded. This selection is not saved for later use, so if bad server condition continues, you need to pick your preferred server again every time you start your Launcher.

Settings menu

Settings menu has three options, where the current operating mode for each setting will be shown there in the selected line:

- Whether to exit Launcher after starting PnG, or not.
- Whether to switch the Launcher running in offline mode only (i.e. no update checks!), or not.
- Whether to switch the CPU Affinity setting as enabled or disabled.

- - - - - - -

[PNG] means the installation folder (where your PnG is installed to).

- - - - - - -

P&G v3.2 includes the most updated version of the Launcher.
Therefore, and untill further notice, there is no newer version available.

- - - - - - -

More content will be added/corrected, if there appears to be need for it. So don't be afraid to ask, if something is bothering you

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Attached Files
File Type: txt PnGv3_Example_trace.txt (18.9 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by DucFreak; 6 April 17 at 10:44.
aSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 November 12, 10:04   #2
Balazsryche

If I click on the Update button, it gives me an error message:

"Untrapped Error #9 (Subscript/Pointer out of range) has occured following execution of SHOWMAIN
Press OK to continue, Cancel to terminate"

Is that normal? Im using Win7 x64, UAC disabled, starting the launcher as admin... Did a clean, separate install for P&G only, and everything is working fine except this
Balazsryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 November 12, 10:06   #3
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Yes, thats "normal" now. There's no updates available, the list is empty. And of course I forgot to handle that error situation nicely without any ugly error traps..

And thanks for reminding me this needs to be fixed too.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 4 November 12, 10:08   #4
jgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSa View Post
When Launcher is started it will check from the web if there is any updates available. ...
FTR, I absolutely loathe this "feature" in any software.

A menu option to upgrade is fine, as is an option to turn off automatic updates. But until there is such an option I'll not be using the launcher - especially since, if I block it in my firewall "Launcher will start slower and pop out some error messages during use". Very poor design.
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 November 12, 10:16   #5
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgf View Post
FTR, I absolutely loathe this "feature" in any software.

A menu option to upgrade is fine, as is an option to turn off automatic updates. But until there is such an option I'll not be using the launcher - especially since, if I block it in my firewall "Launcher will start slower and pop out some error messages during use". Very poor design.
That "turn off automatic updates" option was in my things to add list, but was forgotten in the last minutes. Of course the use of the Launcher is not mandatory. Some may find it cool, others just dislike it. For me it's just a launchpad trying to keep tools and log viewers all together and easily available. And for some updates *when* they appear.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 4 November 12, 10:56   #6
ilu2404

I have a suggestion for the Button Sounds:

Red Update Button: Horn Sound
Green Player Button: screeching tyres Sound
Start Button: Engine Start Sound

That would be really great
ilu2404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 November 12, 07:39   #7
aSa
One of The P&G guys

--- added my "example" trace log for comparison purposes for those who are not that familiar with them.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 5 November 12, 11:36   #8
jgf

Quote:
That "turn off automatic updates" option was in my things to add list, but was forgotten in the last minutes. ...
Ah, we all have those extensive "to do" lists ...if I should live long enough to complete mine I'll be damn near immortal.

My apologies if my criticism was too harsh; I shouldn't have posted so soon after a similar conversation with tech help for my AV program (whose new version deems it necessary to check for updates every six hours).
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 November 12, 09:36   #9
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Listen carefully, I'll say this only once (say that in French accent .. and guess the TV series ).

People who are willing to try a new Launcher version and are suffering from suspected Launcher generated problems, like frequent CTDs or online problems but not when starting PnG directly with its GTR2.exe, or something, speak up now. I'm finalizing a new version of the Launcher and wouldn't mind some real test results.

Just for your information, The Launcher is also capable of creating a debug log which might also help me to solve your problems if there's something wrong with running the Launcher or starting the game itself properly. But the debug log creation will need my guidance as it needs one external program to do it (it's small and free).

New Launcher options will include ability to switch off automatic CPU Affinity setting and possibility to switch the Launcher running in offline mode only (i.e. no update checks!).

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 12 November 12, 14:02   #10
perdy450

hi mate,

thanks for taking over my life with this game, my gf ain't that happy tho!

When I click to 'Add PnG Addons' in the launcher to change the pit-board and horn in the launcher, its says this -

"No GTR installed in 0"

I had it working initially! But I had to reinstall the mod (with a new gtr2 slimmed down install) after a dodgy Goodwood install appeared to corrupt it. Now it keeps showing me this, so I reinstalled for a third time and it still does it. Any idea? I have clicked directly on the program in the game directory as well.
perdy450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 November 12, 17:03   #11
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdy450 View Post
hi mate,

thanks for taking over my life with this game, my gf ain't that happy tho!

When I click to 'Add PnG Addons' in the launcher to change the pit-board and horn in the launcher, its says this -

"No GTR installed in 0"

I had it working initially! But I had to reinstall the mod (with a new gtr2 slimmed down install) after a dodgy Goodwood install appeared to corrupt it. Now it keeps showing me this, so I reinstalled for a third time and it still does it. Any idea? I have clicked directly on the program in the game directory as well.
Heh, maybe I should add to the final installer notes that this game may ruin your social life

PnG Addons "installer" has a bug which I hopefully have already figured out. It relies on (old) registry settings and uses install paths found from there. If it doesn't find GTR2.exe from those paths, it will show that error. I'll PM you soon a link to a newer version which you can use to replace the old version and have a test with it.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 13 November 12, 12:42   #12
perdy450

Quote:
Heh, maybe I should add to the final installer notes that this game may ruin your social life [_]
Definitely advisable!

That would be great thanks mate
Unread 14 November 12, 19:06   #13
perdy450

Just for your information

I deleted the PnG standalone, not using the uninstall program. I then reinstalled it from scratch and ran the game before i installed PnG (dunno if that helps just saying!) and everything seems to work fine regarding the 'Add-Ons' function.

Nice to have my horn back
Unread 26 January 13, 17:05   #14
Pawgy

I don't seem to have a P&G3 launcher in my P&G 3 main folder .Where do I locate the exe?
Pawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 January 13, 19:27   #15
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawgy View Post
I don't seem to have a P&G3 launcher in my P&G 3 main folder .Where do I locate the exe?
If you don't have the shortcut on your desktop, then you can find it in the game main folder as "PnG3.exe".
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 January 13, 22:05   #16
Pawgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
If you don't have the shortcut on your desktop, then you can find it in the game main folder as "PnG3.exe".
Thanks . I found it and will use it in the future.
Pawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 June 13, 22:57   #17
paddomuncher

Default Is this normal

Ive not fired up PnGv3 for a few months, been a bit busy doing other stuff with gtl but had some free time and i get this when i fire it up
the sim runs fine but this happens when i first fire it up. if i press ok i can then fire up the sim

dont know if something is wrong..
paddomuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 June 13, 23:28   #18
DucFreak

@ paddomuncher:

Yes, there's that problem with the current launcher in the v3.0 release.
Just update to newer PnG Launcher and put the "internet update checks" OFF on its settings.
Some new features too.

Quote:
11 Apr 2013:
A newer Launcher version has been released before its time: click here to get the build30 version. The main reason for this unscheduled launch was problems with our server resources atm [see this thread (post #7)]. I'm very sorry for any of the inconveniences.

----------------

More content will be added/corrected, if there appears to be need for it. So don't be afraid to ask, if something is bothering you

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 4 June 13, 00:05   #19
paddomuncher

Thanks mate
i did have a look round but didn't spot that

edit..
All working good now
paddomuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 December 13, 16:33   #20
Cote Dazur

The Green Button "Player"

This will patch the player profile detected for PnG with:

- Optimum FFB settings made by the GTLWorkshop team

About the green button effect on FFB, what does it do exactly? where can I see those Optimum settings?
It looks like it is bringing back FFB to 100% even if I adjusted it lower in my previous session. If I do not use the green button, the setting from my previous session are respected.
Is there a way to keep a FFB adjustment even when using the green ( Player ) button?
Cote Dazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 December 13, 17:13   #21
David Wright

You should only need to use the green button once.

If you want to alter the force feedback settings after using the green button then don't use the green button again.
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 December 13, 18:41   #22
Cote Dazur

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
You should only need to use the green button once.
Thank you.
Cote Dazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 December 13, 08:20   #23
aSa
One of The P&G guys

You can also use the green button to reset the FFB settings if you feel that you have messed the settings manually and start experimenting again

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 11 March 14, 14:06   #24
bandit1977

hi i have problem when i push the start button launch the game and then crash and say --couldnt load XBmenu_01_tga---- what can i do to fix it ?
bandit1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 March 14, 15:19   #25
aSa
One of The P&G guys

That file has nothing to do with PnG Launcher, so I would say the problem is with the GTR2 consistency. I'm in short of time just now so I'm not able to actually help you right now. I'm sorry.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 7 January 16, 02:07   #26
DucFreak

A word of note for users with Thrustmaster T300rs wheels (and possibly other recent wheels of Thrustmaster):

When you click on the green button on the launcher, and then go into the 'Force' page in the 'Options/Controls' settings in the game, the advanced effects filter 'Logitech G25' will be highlighted along with 'Low' effects, 100% strength, and 'Reverse Effects' will be activated.

For the mentioned Thrustmaster wheel(s), leave the 'Logitech G25' and 'Low' settings alone, and set the overall strength to whatever you find comfortable (suggestion: try 90% gain in profiler and 75% in game) but most importantly, uncheck the 'Reverse Effects' (this is important!).

PS: thanks to Michael Hornbuckle for the heads up.
Unread 11 May 16, 17:49   #27
theVenerable

When I press 'Player' it says 'No profile found'
This also happened when I installed the game, it couldn't find player config file.
Luckily the game still worked when I pressed cancel.

How can PNG launcher find my player file please?
I need to edit the steering lock as I only have 240 degrees wheel.

Upate:
I read the error message, and made a GTR2 folder where the PNG launcher thought there should be one.
I put my user data folder in there and let it patch, then moved the folder back to my real game folder.

Strange

I think a simple solution would be to have a 'browse for folder ' option in the PNG launcher.
Thanks

Last edited by theVenerable; 11 May 16 at 18:03.
theVenerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 16, 19:55   #28
aSa
One of The P&G guys

There's a problem with the original installer exe when using Steam-GTR2 which only had started the GTR2 through Steam (i.e. with elevated/admin rights). I have a fixed installer exe already waiting for the next fix or update. The new installer exe should correctly copy the Steam influenced profile to its "correct" place (note: I don't like running GTR2/PnG with elevated rights as there's no real need for them).

If this sounds like your case and you might want to test it (=new install), just give me a hint.

"Browse for folder" for profile in the Launcher:
I remember thinking about that. But decided not to add a browser for it as you already noticed.. . Everything worked fine until the Steam version appeared ..

cheers.. aSa C[_]