NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > GTR2 > Power and Glory Mod

Unread 30 October 12, 00:42   #1
DucFreak

Exclamation Problems during or after P&G v3.2 installation? ...possible solutions

Hello everybody,

If you got here searching for possible "problem cause/solution" examples, they're on post #2 (below this one) and possibly in following posts.

But, first of all, if you're installing P&G v3.2, please read the instructions we left on the website. Quoting:

Quote:
What you will need:

* A GTR2 installation.
Either v1.0 or v1.1 (the P&G installer includes all known official patches).
A clean install is ideal.

* 4 files:
PnGv3.2_installer.exe
PnGv3.2.001
PnGv3.2.002
PnGv3.2.003

Please pay attention to the names of the files, they need to be named like that.
Numbered data file names are critical. No extra "[1]" or anything added anywhere in the file names.
All the files should reside in the same folder.
You DON'T need to UNPACK any of these.
Just double click the PnGv3.2_installer.exe.
When installed in a clean copy of GTR2 using option #2 - the installation size is approximately 4.2 GB

How to start installing:

Just run PnGv3.2_installer.exe

Notes on the installing process itself:

The install process is straight forward except after a install type selection: * "Please select the desired install type:"

We have 2 choices here to select from. The differences between #1 and #2 are:

#1 uses an existing GTR2 installation to copy needed files from to a new PnG folder.
Copy process will do CRC checking for some of the critical files to ensure that the resulting PnG folder will contain only correct file versions.
The GTR2 installation will remain intact, no files will be changed there.

#2 removes all unnecessary files from the given GTR2 path and adds the PnG files.
There will be no CRC checking for the remaining GTR2 files.
Naturally this GTR2 installation will not remain intact as it is converted to a full PnG installation.

Both #1 and #2 will copy/save your player profiles to the new PnG installation (if the source has profiles).

"Destination folder" (with both #1 and #2)
This is the path where your PnG will reside in the end.**Note that in #2 this folder should have your preinstalled GTR2 in it to be converted.

"Source folder for GTR2 files" (only with #1)
This should point to a folder where you have a clean GTR2 installation, either version 1.0 or 1.1.**The GTR2 files in there will not be modified.

In a popup window: "Would you like your player profiles copied from the GTR2 installation?" (only with #1)
If you answer "No" the installer will not even try to copy your player profiles to the PnG installation.**Then when you start PnG the first time you will need to create a new profile for it to use.

We also recommend using the "Launch P&G" shortcut (which is the P&G Launcher) to run P&G v3.
You can read more about the P&G Launcher in here.
Anytime you want to run the game, just run the P&G Launcher and click the "START" button.

If you have just created or altered a player profile in the game, and wish to have the tweaks we made available, then the next time you run the P&G Launcher, click on the "PLAYER" button (green button) before starting the game - note that you only need to do this once.

When reporting problems, please try to give us some details on the problem.
Information on your Operating System (Windows 7, XP, Vista, etc) and also your hardware (processor, ram, graphics) is also useful.

EDIT @ 05-Jan-2016: updated to fit the v3.2 release.

Last edited by DucFreak; 6 April 17 at 10:37.
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 01:01   #2
DucFreak

Exclamation Problems and possible solutions.

One example of installation error by corrupt download, with a solution:

During the installation of P&G v3, an error stops the process (no matter what option used), with a message "ERROR: unpacking error, status 2"...

First of all, get the 4 files you have (the installer and the 3 big files) and drop them in an empty folder, if you haven't done it already.
Make sure the files are named exactly like this:

PnGv3.2.001
PnGv3.2.002
PnGv3.2.003
PnGv3.2_installer.exe

If they are already named correctly, and it still crashes during the installation, then download THIS FILE.
Extract the file from the ZIP into where those 4 files are.

This is an "integrity check" tool that our team member aSa created to see if there's a corrupted file among the big ones, and if there is, which one.
You just double click this "PnGv32_InstallFile_checker.exe", and let it diagnose the files.

In case there is one of the files that got pointed out as corrupted, it means that you'll have to redownload that file (and note, only the one pointed as corrupted).

After downloading the file again, place it near the other ones, and "integrity check" on them again. If all good... time to try installation again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation error when running the P&G installer:

"I'm getting an error message when running the P&G installer saying something like "Users\documents\GTR2\config ini cannot read".
What to do?"

There have been some cases like this and we have an updated installer.exe in testing phase, which you can get from inside the zip attached in this post, if you want to give it a try.

Simply unzip the new exe (PnGv3.2_installer_beta.exe) into the folder where the PnG install data files are (.001/.002/.003 files, the three big files you downloaded) and then try running it instead of the original PnGv3.2_installer.exe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game CTD (during game launching or track loading) after successfull installation - possible solution:

Go to the "...\[P&G install]\MovieFiles" folder, and delete all the 9 files in there.
(NOTE: this is now automatically done during the installation of P&G v3.2)

Don't worry, it won't delete the main-menu background movie.
The reason for the possible CTD (bink32.dll error usually) is because we left blank bink.videos to bypass the original GTR2 "modern" videos and intros, and sometimes it may cause conflicts.
Deleting them all as pointed above should solve it.

Game CTD (in practice, race, etc) after successfull installation - possible solution:

"The installation went fine (no matter the option), but game crashes when trying to pratice, time-trial or race."

In this case, try to create a new player profile (yours may be corrupted).

You may also try the following:

DO NOT run the game from the GTR2.EXE, run the 'Launch P&G' desktop icon (the PG Launcher), then on the "Tools" tab, select "Enable Start with Debug Mode".

....try running the game now (click the button 'START' in the launcher).

(NOTE: we do recommend using the P&G Launcher at all times, to run P&G v3)

Game CTD (when quitting race) after successfull installation - possible solution:

"The installation went fine (no matter the option), but game crashes as soon as 'Quit Race' is selected, getting a CTD saying there was a runtime error."

Inside the main folder of the P&G installation, there is a .ZIP file called "GTR2 NO-CDs.zip".
This has two different GTR2 executables inside, and a "READ ME" text file with very simple instructions.
One of the GTR2 executables is working in a way that it can use more than 2GB of ram memory. Try that executable, as it should solve any problems with runtime errors CTDs.

Also, for some it works better, for others it aggravates, but you may wish to set administrator rights in the GTR2.EXE, as well as the GTR2Config.EXE (these files are in the main folder of the P&G installation).
Some have reported that doing it also for the PnG3.EXE solved issues (this file is also in the main folder of the P&G installation).

If not sure how to do this, right-mouse click on the file, select "Properties", then in the "Compatibility" tab, look for "Run this program as administrator" and put a check on it (or put check off to revert it). Click "Apply" to save the changes.

Here's an example:

Strange issues in Multiplayer - possible solutions:

"The installation went fine (no matter the option) and the game runs just fine Offline but, for Online, the user is getting 'booted' out of the server as possible cheat, or the server's messages are showing constant "user mismatch" after the player joins the server and also when going into the track."

For these and other situations related with Multiplayer, please look in our P&G Multiplayer F.A.Q.

Any problems or issues that haven't been covered here, just ask away in this thread so that the team can assist you whenever possible.

EDIT @ 05-Jan-2016: updated to fit the v3.2 release.

Last edited by DucFreak; 31 January 16 at 18:42.
Unread 30 October 12, 01:06   #3
Pierre61

The only error I had was when experimenting with the server selection [attached]

OS = W7, Q6600@3.2, GFX560ti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg er1.jpg (69.3 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Pierre61; 30 October 12 at 01:08. Reason: Completeness
Pierre61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 01:15   #4
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre61 View Post
The only error I had was when experimenting with the server selection [attached]

OS = W7, Q6600@3.2, GFX560ti
Correct. That part is still being tuned (not ready yet) and may cause that error.
Let's forget that part for now and avoid clicking there until notice.

Means, all good there mate.
Unread 30 October 12, 07:31   #5
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Hmm.. yes. Thank you Pierre61 for pointing this out.

It is just a small server changing bug in the code. Heh.. the code just don't know what to do when there's *no alternative servers* available below that primary server (flyingpig).

A variable that tries to pick the user selected server gets a wrong value and effectively disables all the web functions from functioning. My fault.. . Luckily this misselection is cured by restarting the Launcher and flyingpig will be automatically reselected again, so this is not as bad bug as it might have been.

Congratulations for being the first one to report a real, verified problem

cheers.. aSa C[_]
aSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 10:15   #6
jandri
Uploader

I tried several things because the installation was aborted several times.
That was with the torrent file and still i'm sharing.

Then dl'ed from another mirror and it was installed correctly.
Dont know if the torrent file is corrupted.
jandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 10:20   #7
aSa
One of The P&G guys

I feel sorry for your misfortune, but I'm glad you were still able to succeed. I'll check how the torrent looks in this end of the world.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 30 October 12, 10:56   #8
McLowry

Only one glitch so far ,front wheels are not visible in cockpit view on the Lotus 7 ?
McLowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 10:59   #9
AzRiM

Just launch the game with the PnG3.exe launcher and then press once in the middle "Player" button. This will patch your player.plr file with the optimum FF settings made by us, plus some nice little extra things like better collisions in multiplayer, AND cockpit view tyres and wheels for the Lotus 7
AzRiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 11:07   #10
IbnSolmyr

Nothing to see with the installation, but unhopefully the uTorrent software installs that damn shity toolbar, whatever you say yes or no...
IbnSolmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 12:11   #11
Merlin0859

I would love to have this mod! Everytime I try to download files, not the torrent but the others, Norton deletes the installer before I can say yes or no. Hate to sound newbie but is this warning supposed to be there and how do I get rid of it? I'm sure it's just my security settings but I just had a virus mess not too long ago and want no repeats! Better safe than sorry! Either way looks like good work.
Merlin0859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 12:24   #12
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Downloaded with uTorrent 2.2.1 (ancient..), and result is perfect. No corruption detected. The official torrent is good.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 30 October 12, 14:14   #13
jandri
Uploader

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSa View Post
Downloaded with uTorrent 2.2.1 (ancient..), and result is perfect. No corruption detected. The official torrent is good.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
So, it could just be something from my end.
jandri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 14:55   #14
Goresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin0859 View Post
I would love to have this mod! Everytime I try to download files, not the torrent but the others, Norton deletes the installer before I can say yes or no. Hate to sound newbie but is this warning supposed to be there and how do I get rid of it? I'm sure it's just my security settings but I just had a virus mess not too long ago and want no repeats! Better safe than sorry! Either way looks like good work.
Using Internet Explorer I was getting the same. Switched to Firefox and it allowed me to download the exe np. Are you sure its Nortons? Maybe try Firefox.
Unread 30 October 12, 14:59   #15
Merlin0859

I'll give it a try, thanks!
Merlin0859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 17:16   #16
DRokK

We have problem at SimJunkies. P&G3 installed on the our dedicated box but the server doesnt show up in the lobby (either simbins or the bude one). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: solved, forgot to tick box broadcast in lobby lol!
DRokK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 17:30   #17
yetisaj

Hey guys, just wanna firstly say thanks for the mod, its clear that a lot of passion and time went into its creation.

Install went fine although I kept getting CTD when trying to load the game, realised that it had just reset my screen res to 640x480 which is why it wasn't loading. Game looks great, really nice UI and the cars look fantastic.

My only problem now is that I'm getting really low framerates and stuttering in-game. I normally run GTR2 and rFactor in triple screen with 50+ cars fine, but with P&Gv3 in single screen res with only 30 cars I'm having real performance issues. Any suggestions?
yetisaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 18:21   #18
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetisaj View Post
Hey guys, just wanna firstly say thanks for the mod, its clear that a lot of passion and time went into its creation.

Install went fine although I kept getting CTD when trying to load the game, realised that it had just reset my screen res to 640x480 which is why it wasn't loading. Game looks great, really nice UI and the cars look fantastic.

My only problem now is that I'm getting really low framerates and stuttering in-game. I normally run GTR2 and rFactor in triple screen with 50+ cars fine, but with P&Gv3 in single screen res with only 30 cars I'm having real performance issues. Any suggestions?
That is not normal for sure.

Any more info? (system hardware, graphics settings, AA and AF ammount, etc)

Two things that are "must do" (if you haven't already):

First, do not run the game from the GTR2.EXE, run the game at all times from the P&G Launcher (press "START" to run the game).

Second, I presume you have already a player profile created, so once in the launcher, press the "PLAYER" button (the big green button).

Finally, and alternatively, if you have a Win-Vista/Win-7/Win-8 (64-bit) system, you might want to try the no-cd patch we have to make the game use "more than 2GB of ram".
Check the 'GTR2 NO-CDs.ZIP' file that we left in the main installation folder.

PS: I would advice to create a new player profile (it's a pain to reconfigure game options all over again, but migh be worth it)
Unread 30 October 12, 18:31   #19
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRokK View Post
We have problem at SimJunkies. P&G3 installed on the our dedicated box but the server doesnt show up in the lobby (either simbins or the bude one). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: solved, forgot to tick box broadcast in lobby lol!
Nice one mate.
From memory, SJ servers are usually very good for internet connection and general atmosphere, so definitely worth a look for people willing to race online.
Unread 30 October 12, 18:35   #20
yetisaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFreak View Post
That is not normal for sure.

Any more info? (system hardware, graphics settings, AA and AF ammount, etc)

Two things that are "must do" (if you haven't already):

First, do not run the game from the GTR2.EXE, run the game at all times from the P&G Launcher (press "START" to run the game).

Second, I presume you have already a player profile created, so once in the launcher, press the "PLAYER" button (the big green button).

Finally, and alternatively, if you have a Win-Vista/Win-7/Win-8 (64-bit) system, you might want to try the no-cd patch we have to make the game use "more than 2GB of ram".
Check the 'GTR2 NO-CDs.ZIP' file that we left in the main installation folder.

PS: I would advice to create a new player profile (it's a pain to reconfigure game options all over again, but migh be worth it)
Thanks DucFreak......

I've done all you suggested. But instead of running the NO-CD patch, I run CFF explorer and allow 2+GB ram usage.

System spec is as follows....

Intel Q6600 Quad Core @ 2.4
Gigabyte x48 DS4 mobo
8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @ 1066
ATi 3870x2 Dual Core GPU with 1GB

SoftTH triple screen .dll running at 5960x1080 screen res.
GTR2 settings....DX9, AA level 3, vsinc disabled.

Its a pretty dated system but I don't have problems running any other mods on GTR2 or rFactor, even with high poly Forza4 conversions. Which makes me think its not a model problem.
I havent tried PnG3 with triple screen yet so my performance is low even at 1920x1080. Azrim replied to me over at F1C too. I told him I'd have a play and see if I can find a solution.
Unread 30 October 12, 18:47   #21
traind

I have GTR 2 installed and have a number of extra tracks and cars loaded into it -- things like the VLM tracks and WSGT mod but no mods to physics or FFB. To install P&G 3 it is saying I should consider a clean install or a separate install. What does that mean?

Do I need to get rid of tracks and cars? How would I do a separate install of just P&G3 and have my current GTR2 also available... is that possible?
traind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 18:48   #22
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetisaj View Post
Thanks DucFreak......

I've done all you suggested. But instead of running the NO-CD patch, I run CFF explorer and allow 2+GB ram usage.

System spec is as follows....

Intel Q6600 Quad Core @ 2.4
Gigabyte x48 DS4 mobo
8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @ 1066
ATi 3870x2 Dual Core GPU with 1GB

SoftTH triple screen .dll running at 5960x1080 screen res.
GTR2 settings....DX9, AA level 3, vsinc disabled.

Its a pretty dated system but I don't have problems running any other mods on GTR2 or rFactor, even with high poly Forza4 conversions. Which makes me think its not a model problem.
I havent tried PnG3 with triple screen yet so my performance is low even at 1920x1080. Azrim replied to me over at F1C too. I told him I'd have a play and see if I can find a solution.
I honestly don't know what's the problem, it just doesn't make any sense.

You say you run GTR2 just fine, which makes it almost bizarre.
TBH, I even get a little bit better framerates with P&G v3 than with GTR2 vanilla, even if maxxed out (and I have a pretty mid-low range system).

Honestly, we took our time to optimize it also for older systems (car model LODs, texture sizes, etc), even with all the added eye-candy. I don't recall myself a single problem with performance during all the (very) long beta-testing, with different hardware and OS's.

Hope you come to a solution there, otherwise, I guess last resort is always reinstalling GTR2 separately and P&G v3.0 over it (option #2), with new player profile created.
Unread 30 October 12, 18:51   #23
gsmith1967

Default Game just crashes once CONTINUE button is pressed.

Game installed as per instructions using method #1.

Followed instructions about player.plr file patch.

Start the game with the PNG launcher and games starts OK.

I can change the game settings and controls etc.

Whatever car or track I choose and whichever type of race, Free Practive, Time Trials, Race Weekend or Championships, as soosn as I click the CONTINUE button the game crashes back to the desktop.

I tried creating a new player profile and exactly the same.

Machine is running Windows 7, fully up to date. Intel Q6600, 2 x 460GTX in SLI mode.

I have never had any problems running GT Legends, GTR2 all the versions of PNG up until now.

Any ideas as I'm pretty hacked off after waiting for so long for this to be released and I can't get it to run (at least so that it can be played).
gsmith1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 18:52   #24
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traind View Post
I have GTR 2 installed and have a number of extra tracks and cars loaded into it -- things like the VLM tracks and WSGT mod but no mods to physics or FFB. To install P&G 3 it is saying I should consider a clean install or a separate install. What does that mean?

Do I need to get rid of tracks and cars? How would I do a separate install of just P&G3 and have my current GTR2 also available... is that possible?
If you are sure that you have not changed physics of that GTR2 installation, then you can run the P&G v3.0 installer, and select option #1.

Allow me just a little boring explanation, just to make sure things clear about those installation options.

Option #1 is for those that have a working GTR2 installation (non modified physics wise) and wish that one to be kept "untouched".
So, you choose this one mainly for the installer to pick only the necessary files from it, to install P&G somewhere else, separately (image a new game which fed from other game to install itself somewhere else), to whatever folder path you place in the installer.
Notice that this option will 'complaint' and stop if you're feeding from a GTR2 installation with heavily modded files.

Option #2 is really ment for those that already have a clean GTR2 installation waiting (imagine that you just installed GTR2 from the DVD for this purpose only).
You select the path for that GTR2 installation, and the installer will clean ALL non-necessary files (original modern cars, etc) and place P&G on top of it. ....it will no longer be GTR2, but P&G v3.0.

Note that, whatever option you choose, P&G v3 already includes all official GTR2 patches and inclusively the NO_CD (necessary for Win Vista, Win7 and Win8), so you only need to worry about having GTR2 installed in your computer.... the P&G v3 installer will do the rest according to your prefered option.
Unread 30 October 12, 18:57   #25
David Wright

Quote:

Put your GTR2 DVD in the drive. Go to Windows Explorer and find the DVD. Run setup.exe from the DVD. Select/create a new folder to install to. No patching is required from v1.0 - the P&G installer will do this.
David Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 18:57   #26
Chopchop
Uploader

I also got a corrupted torrent, now I registered at drivingitalia to download the files from there. Having to download 2 and half gigs of stuff is not fun with a slow/unstable internet connection, though I know it's my own fault for possibly screwing up the torrent.
Chopchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 18:57   #27
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith1967 View Post
Game installed as per instructions using method #1.

Followed instructions about player.plr file patch.

Start the game with the PNG launcher and games starts OK.

I can change the game settings and controls etc.

Whatever car or track I choose and whichever type of race, Free Practive, Time Trials, Race Weekend or Championships, as soosn as I click the CONTINUE button the game crashes back to the desktop.

I tried creating a new player profile and exactly the same.

Machine is running Windows 7, fully up to date. Intel Q6600, 2 x 460GTX in SLI mode.

I have never had any problems running GT Legends, GTR2 all the versions of PNG up until now.

Any ideas as I'm pretty hacked off after waiting for so long for this to be released and I can't get it to run (at least so that it can be played).

Please try this:

Quote:
Game CTD (in practice, race, etc) after successfull installation - possible solution

"The installation went fine (no matter the option), but game crashes when trying to pratice, time-trial or race."

In this case, try the following:

DO NOT run the game from the GTR2.EXE, run the 'Launch P&G' desktop icon (the PG Launcher), then on the "Tools" tab, select "Enable Start with Debug Mode".

....try running the game now (click the button 'START' in the launcher).

(NOTE: we do recommend using the P&G Launcher at all times, to run P&G v3.0)

Tell us if it keeps crashing.

NOTE:
if you placed "run as administrator" in the GTR2.exe or PG Launcher, tick it off.

Some people reported the opposite as well, i.e, that placing "run as administrator" in GTR2.EXE (not in the Launcher!) solved the problem.
Unread 30 October 12, 19:07   #28
yetisaj

Quote:
I honestly don't know what's the problem, it just doesn't make any sense.

You say you run GTR2 just fine, which makes it almost bizarre.

Honestly, we took our time to optimize it also for older systems (car model LODs, texture sizes, etc), even with all the added eye-candy.

Hope you come to a solution there, otherwise, I guess last resort is always reinstalling GTR2 separately and P&G v3.0 over it (option #2), with new player profile created.
I don't doubt your work and I'm sure it should be running a lot better. Like I said, Ill do some experimenting and see if I can find a fix. Funny thing is, I used option 2 in the first place haha.
Unread 30 October 12, 19:11   #29
McLowry

THX for the insructions for guys like me that don't take time to read the read me file.
(ha!!)
McLowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 19:20   #30
gsmith1967

Quote:
Please try this:

Tell us if it keeps crashing.

NOTE:
if you placed "run as administrator" in the GTR2.exe or PG Launcher, tick it off.

Some people reported the opposite as well, i.e, that placing "run as administrator" in GTR2.EXE (not in the Launcher!) solved the problem.
That did the trick. All running OK now.

Big thanks for your help and WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!
gsmith1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 19:52   #31
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopchop View Post
I also got a corrupted torrent, now I registered at drivingitalia to download the files from there. Having to download 2 and half gigs of stuff is not fun with a slow/unstable internet connection, though I know it's my own fault for possibly screwing up the torrent.
Sorry to hear that.

If it can help at all, we now have more download links in our download page (scroll down the page).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith1967 View Post
That did the trick. All running OK now.

Big thanks for your help and WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!
Glad you got it sorted mate!
Unread 30 October 12, 20:09   #32
traind

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wright View Post
Put your GTR2 DVD in the drive. Go to Windows Explorer and find the DVD. Run setup.exe from the DVD. Select/create a new folder to install to. No patching is required from v1.0 - the P&G installer will do this.
Thank you. I did this and it appeared to all work well. However, playing it I am having a few issues. (I have a Vista machine with the separate install as recommended):

1) it frequently is crashing when going to enter a race. The only times it did not was when I had it at 800x600 resolution... but that looked horrible. Not sure if it related

2) My settings for controls (Logitech G25) do not seem to save... when I go from main menu into a garage they appear to be gone?
traind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 20:18   #33
DucFreak

Quote:
Thank you. I did this and it appeared to all work well. However, playing it I am having a few issues. (I have a Vista machine with the separate install as recommended):

1) it frequently is crashing when going to enter a race. The only times it did not was when I had it at 800x600 resolution... but that looked horrible. Not sure if it related

2) My settings for controls (Logitech G25) do not seem to save... when I go from main menu into a garage they appear to be gone?
Please try this.

BTW, is this a new player profile or imported one (during installation)?
If it's the latter, also try creating a new player profile.

Tell us how it goes later.
Unread 30 October 12, 21:56   #34
Mark Uribe

Ok, got everything d/l'd and installed fine. I added a few tracks and then found an updated version of one of the tracks so I went to delete the HAT file for the old one and I don't have any LOG folders or HAT folders in the UserData folder. Haven't done anything except add a few tracks and run a couple laps at each one but no HAT files for any of them or any of the default GTR2 tracks that I have driven.

No problems with the tracks or replays, they are ok. No CTD or anything unusual just no LOG or HAT folders.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mark Uribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 October 12, 22:05   #35
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Uribe View Post
Ok, got everything d/l'd and installed fine. I added a few tracks and then found an updated version of one of the tracks so I went to delete the HAT file for the old one and I don't have any LOG folders or HAT folders in the UserData folder. Haven't done anything except add a few tracks and run a couple laps at each one but no HAT files for any of them or any of the default GTR2 tracks that I have driven.

No problems with the tracks or replays, they are ok. No CTD or anything unusual just no LOG or HAT folders.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'll start by saying that P&G is a mod for GTR2, so I'll use GTR2 references to try explaining how the LOG folder works, plus respective files (more or less like this):

Windows XP:
  • you have it in your [PNG/GTR] folder (under UserData).

Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 (x64, and probably others too):
  • If you have UAC enabled and/or you have GTR2 installed into C:\GTR2, then your logs are under [MyDocuments]\GTR2\UserData\LOG

• If you have disabled UAC, your log is in C:\GTR2\UserData\LOG (same as in Win XP)

So, better take this into account, then search accordingly.
Unread 30 October 12, 22:48   #36
Mark Uribe

Thanks for the response DucFreak. I guess I should have added more info. Sorry.

I have Vista and know about UAC and it's disabled. Learned that lesson long ago so it's not an issue.

For P&G3 I used a clean GTR2 install using option #1 to create a stand alone and those folders exist in the clean install where the GTR2 files were taken/copied from(source), but not in the new P&G3 install(destination). As if they were never copied, not saying they weren't, just saying it looks that way.

Should I try to just copy the folders over and see what happens?
Mark Uribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 October 12, 05:12   #37
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Uribe View Post
Thanks for the response DucFreak. I guess I should have added more info. Sorry.

I have Vista and know about UAC and it's disabled. Learned that lesson long ago so it's not an issue.

For P&G3 I used a clean GTR2 install using option #1 to create a stand alone and those folders exist in the clean install where the GTR2 files were taken/copied from(source), but not in the new P&G3 install(destination). As if they were never copied, not saying they weren't, just saying it looks that way.

Should I try to just copy the folders over and see what happens?
You can try to copy the folders, but what is bugging me is the location of the LOG folder (or its inexistence).

So, perhaps before doing that, we better make sure where it really is, which you can find by doing the following:

When you run the Launcher, in "Tools" you have an option "Enable Start with Debug Mode". Please enable that (it will appear as "checked"), then run the game, and exit again.

Getting back to the Launcher, again in "Tools", in the last option "view Debug mode text log...", click on it to show a trace text file.
...on that trace text file, click "File", then "Save as"... you'll see where the file is when it opens a window of the folder (...Userdata\LOG) and doubts will end then.

Last edited by DucFreak; 31 October 12 at 09:13.
Unread 31 October 12, 08:01   #38
aSa
One of The P&G guys

Installer option #1 does only copy "Dedicated HAT files", but not normal HAT files (because the game will recreate them anyway).

If you have started Ded.server, your LOG folder may have got reassigned to "Log_Dedicated" folder (!!). Check from your correct CONFIG.INI / [COMPONENTS] / LOGDIR= if this is true.

Normally (with UAC) CONFIG.INI in Vista/Win7/Win8 is in [MyDocuments]\GTR2\. If that doesn't look right, then check your [PNG]\ folder. There's even 3rd possibility, but I don't see why it would be there if UAC is disabled (inside %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\[full PNG path without drive letter designation]\).

I have never used Vista without UAC, but I presume it's like in Win7 without UAC.

I can dig into this and start verifying things if this don't get solved. I just need to swap to a bigger hard drive as my current is pretty full of .. all-sorts-of-things

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 31 October 12, 08:12   #39
iriches

Firstly, MANY thanks for this great mod. I've only managed to spend about 30 mins driving it so far, (Capri RS3100, Lotus 7, Ford/Lotus Cortina) - but it's clearly a major step on from v2.

My issue, that I don't seem to remember having with v2 (which I have uninstalled) is that PnG 3 and GTR 2 are sharing a folder for config/replay files etc.

I already had a quite heavily modified GTR 2 install in D:\games\gtr2, so I did another clean GTR 2 install in D:\games\PnG3, using install option #2.

Now both of these installs are storing the config.ini and replay files etc. in C:\[MyDocuments]\GTR2\

This means that the replays are overwriting each other from each sim.

This is all on Win 7 32-bit with UAC enabled.

Any way of getting around this?
iriches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 October 12, 09:25   #40
aSa
One of The P&G guys

For me that is the normal behaviour. PnG v2 and v3 share the same GTR2 engine, so they should behave similarly. I don't remember anything that would have changed that.

Of course you could create some startup scripts that would switch between two different CONFIG.INIs. Or do that switch manually.

Even my VcrSaver tool will only save Hot Laps, not all (full session) replays automatically. And it needs a little update... soon.

I have experimented with a special PnG version of GTR2 system which would have their files stored inside [MyDocuments]\PnG3 but never finished the product as it was thought to be too risky. But I remember being pretty close..

Hmm.. running only the other with elevated rights (with "Run as Administrator.." thing) will change the location of CONFIG.INI to use..! With elevated admin rights the CONFIG.INI will be used from your game folder and not from [MyDocuments]\GTR2.

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Unread 31 October 12, 14:31   #41
cavallino

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriches View Post
Now both of these installs are storing the config.ini and replay files etc. in C:\[MyDocuments]\GTR2\

This means that the replays are overwriting each other from each sim.

This is all on Win 7 32-bit with UAC enabled.

Any way of getting around this?
Since GTR2 names the automatically saved replay files with the same filename every time, you could go to the Replay menu and rename the most recently saved replay files before starting a new session.
cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 October 12, 23:37   #42
Playmax

[QUOTE=DucFreak;1640863]One example of installation error by corrupt download, with a solution:

User is getting installation error (no matter what option used), with a message "ERROR: unpacking error, status 2"...

First of all, get the 4 files you have (the installer and the 3 big files) and drop them in an empty folder, if you haven't done it already.
Make sure the files are named exactly like this:

PnGv3.0.001
PnGv3.0.002
PnGv3.0.003
PnGv3.0_installer.exe

If they are already named correctly, and it still crashes during the installation, then download THIS FILE.
Extract it into where those 4 files are.

This is an "integrity check" tool that our team member aSa created to see if there's a corrupted file among the big ones, and if there is, which one.
You just double click this "FileMD5_test_RC.exe", and let it diagnose the files.

In case there is one of the files that got pointed out as corrupted, it means that you'll have to redownload that file (and note, only the one pointed as corrupted).

After downloading the file again, place it near the other ones, and "integrity check" on them again. If all good... time to try installation again.

[QUOTE]

I have the same problem ! Unpacking error staus 2 on windows 7 64 Bit, no problem on Vista 64Bit.

I'll try the solution you suggest...(The File)

I have yet put the all files in an empty folder named PnG and also downloaded them many times from different mirrors-links, but always ther same error

Thanks for now

Max Caputi
Playmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 October 12, 23:52   #43
Petty
Banned

Hi, just to report that the file "PnGv3.0.002" from the 3rd mirror by SimJunkies.org is damaged, check with FileMD5_test_RC.exe failed, I noticed that it is only 830 Mb size when it should be 850 Mb.
Petty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 November 12, 00:39   #44
Playmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty View Post
Hi, just to report that the file "PnGv3.0.002" from the 3rd mirror by SimJunkies.org is damaged, check with FileMD5_test_RC.exe failed, I noticed that it is only 830 Mb size when it should be 850 Mb.
Yes that mirror damaged. I solved the problem. My files also damaged in the copy to an external hard drive. Now all is good ! Thanks
Playmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 November 12, 20:50   #45
betterstranger

how to run map plugin guys? i installed it... and it's not working with PnG v3 any ideas?

EDIT:
i mean in standard GTR2 it's working perfectly, while in PnG3 it even doesn't appear...

have you got any ideas? as mapplugin is great for learning new tracks for me...

Last edited by betterstranger; 1 November 12 at 23:12.
betterstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 November 12, 21:04   #46
Geoffers
Premium Member

Great work guys, well worth the wait.

However I have a small problem. No not that!!!, I downloaded P&G3 from Rapidshare no problem, installed it, but during installation my AV flagged up Suspicious.Cloud.5 in file gdf.dll & removed the file.

Now its probably my AV (Norton!!!!!!!!) being too suspicious & there is nothing wrong with the file but I uninstalled P&G & downloaded again, installed the new download & the same thing happened.

I ran P&G3 & it worked fine, so what does that file actually do & can I safely restore it?
Geoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 November 12, 21:54   #47
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
I downloaded P&G3 from Rapidshare no problem, installed it, but during installation my AV flagged up Suspicious.Cloud.5 in file gdf.dll & removed the file.

Now its probably my AV (Norton!!!!!!!!) being too suspicious & there is nothing wrong with the file but I uninstalled P&G & downloaded again, installed the new download & the same thing happened.

I ran P&G3 & it worked fine, so what does that file actually do & can I safely restore it?
Probably should wait for aSa to explain it (I know little -if anything- about this programming stuff myself) but I think it's one of the .DLLs related with our updater, which isn't yet fully functional. The file is harmless.
I don't use Norton for years because of the paranoid state it used to leave me every hour. FWIW, neither Avira nor Avast consider the file suspicious here.
Unread 2 November 12, 00:48   #48
paddomuncher

Default map plugin + XD

I have map plugin working and also XD
http://www.bsimracing.com/gtr2/gtr2-...-xd-v213-full/

downloaded the new XD http://www.vitumo.de/
rename the XD d3d9.dll to d3d9_xd.dll and you get delta time aswell. and put in main folder.. with the map plugin
you end up with a d3d9.dll (321KB) and the new d3d9_xd.dll(1488KB) in main folder..(delete old d3d9_xd.dll) before adding new one

i didnt have to do anything with the map plugin it worked straight away..
but XD didint so i did the above..

make sure the map plugin config files looks like this (found in main folder P&G)
[GENERAL]
OriginalD3D9Dll=d3d9_xd.dll
#OriginalD3D9Dll=DEFAULT

hope this helps..
paddomuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 November 12, 07:32   #49
aSa
One of The P&G guys

GDF.DLL is a installer file. It just consists of configs and icons/bitmaps needed with the Windows Games Explorer integration. There's not even executables in it. I haven't tested what happens with that Games link if that file is moved..

Checksums for the original file:
CRC32: 51BE93E1
MD5: 6B20C3C58047CD0CDE1BE0C99A2D2CE7

cheers.. aSa C[_]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PnG_WGE.jpg (37.6 KB, 40 views)
Unread 2 November 12, 09:25   #50
Geoffers
Premium Member

OK thanks for the replies DucFreak & aSa. Yeh I think it is just a case of my AV being too fussy, I'll restore the file back to my install.
Geoffers is offline   Reply With Quote