NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Colin McRae Rally Series

Old 15 August 07, 18:47   #1
Frates

Default Can you mod/increase power?

Is there any way to modify the power of a car. I've had a good look look through all of the files and folders and although I've had some good success modding graphics, physics, etc I can't figure out a way to increase engine power. Any ideas?
Frates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 07, 08:15   #2
DucFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frates View Post
Is there any way to modify the power of a car. I've had a good look look through all of the files and folders and although I've had some good success modding graphics, physics, etc I can't figure out a way to increase engine power. Any ideas?
I don't know how to, sorry. :-/

....you're preparing a mod for better physics or something? :uhm:
DucFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 07, 18:19   #3
Frates

Not really - just for personal use. Physics can be improved greatly by modding the 'tyre grip.csv' (I've reduced grip by around 30%) and with the Dirt-tweaker.exe (reduced braking power to 0% - pro-sim).

I've actually discovered that you can adjust engine power simply by switching csv files for a particulary vehicle. For example, you could drop a Mitsubishi Lancer engine into an Mitsubishi L200 truck. This works fine but it also effects the suspension, gear ratios, etc, so it needs some more work. However, you could drop the csv file from an BMW X3 into a L200, for example, then you would get the power increase as well as the correct suspension travel, etc.
Frates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 07, 21:01   #4
S.Moss

in TRD3 in the .csv files it was numbers creating a graph for engine power. I'm not sure how it is in dirt as i don't have it but if its allot of numbers it might be an engine graph.
S.Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 08, 04:56   #5
love2drift

I am able to edit each car's horsepower and gear ratio, I'm getting 380kph and even faster, but the physics won't allow any more speed than that (constantly understeering) and the tracks are not long enough - you'll be crashing into trees and objects everywhere, and you certainly won't make it to the second corner unless you're playing the rookie level (if that's the lowest?).
First gear has been edited to go up to 147kph because with such outrageous power it's very easy to crash into obstacles, and if components start to fail like the turbo, you'll still have first gear to finish the rest of the course. Keyboard play if preferable as steering wheel would be incapable of quick locks.
Am I allowed to show how how I edited the cars or is this seen as hacking/re-engineering code which is probably illegal in the eyes of Codemasters?
I must admit it was initially a challenge, unlike CM 2005 which was easier in comparison, showing parameters separated by a space in a simple text file, and not putting everything in a spreadsheet which initally made it impossible to edit as saving the final file meant the format was altered and not readable.
I've edited harder games like Xpand Rally which took me months, even though the code was text based and not hard coded like the NFS series. I've also edited GTR 2, Battlefield 2, and a few others that I can't remember. I would love to mod NFS MW, awesome game, the trainers provided are not realistic enough, double speed and unlimited NOS just doesn't do it for me. The hardest game I ever modified was Test Drive 5, graphics was very good for it's time so I decided to spice things up. I had a lot of guess work because the parameters were in hexadecimal (compiled code), but what made things easy was the file was small, so editing was effortless. Like Battlefield 2, the files needed to be compressed back into their zip container for the program to load.
I'm happy to share my knowledge, but only if it's legal to do so.
love2drift is offline   Reply With Quote