The Eagle Has Landed!!! Rally Trophy on Windows 7 x64.
This is what I did; it is not for the faint of heart:
1) I have a Windows XP system running in Oracle Virtual Box (that is the part that is not for the faint of heart; Windows 2000 should work, too). Lucky for me! I installed the 3D acceleration capability in Safe Mode (of the Guest OS, the VM, not the Host OS) by installing the Virtual Box Guest Additions. I made sure the Guest OS has 3D acceleration enabled in the Guest OS settings.
2) I plugged in my controller into my Host PC, and "mounted" it in the Guest OS (you can do that in Virtual Box with USB).
3) I copied my Rally Trophy folder to the Guest OS (Windows XP), and fired it up.
4) I went to configure my controller. I configured it the way I liked.
5) I started a Stage. The controller worked, and the game worked, but it runs like crud in Virtual Box. OK, mission accomplished, and I shut down Rally Trophy.
6) I copied the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\DirectX\DirectInput\User Maps" folder contents in my Windows XP VM straight over to the similar folder in Windows 7 on my Host PC: "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Prog ram Files (x86)\Common Files\DirectX\DirectInput\User Maps"
7) I shut down the Windows XP VM in Virtual Box.
8) I fired up Rally Trophy on my host PC (Running Win7 x64). NOTE: I have the dimap.dll file in the Rally Trophy Folder.
9) Controller works!!!! Just don't try to configure it here. I recommend you set those INI files to read-only so you don't accidentally overwrite them.
10) Enjoy RT again.
This worked for me because I had a Windows XP setup in Virtual Box already. If you don't, that can be a pain in itself. But if you are technically astute and know that stuff, that works.
Here are the codes that I use:
CTRL2=0x1008A01 (this is turn)
CTRL1028=0x1000C02 (Shift Down)
CTRL772=0x1000C01 (Shift Up)
CTRL260=0x10004FD (Reset Car)
I also figured out these additional codes from the keyboard map:
0x81000431 is Opponent Names
0x8100041D is Reverse
0x81000422 is Overlay Gauges
0x8100042E is Toggle Camera