NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > PC Racing > Rally Trophy

Old 22 February 15, 00:27   #1
Rijnton

Default Am I doing something wrong ?

A few years ago I already tried RT but found it very difficult. I asked about it here:
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=244757
but the answers didn't help me much and I finally gave it up.

I didn't play games the last few years but recently started again and having bought a new (G27) wheel I gave RT a try again. Now I can control the car better but it is still impossible to achieve a decent finish place. When I do a single stage as "Novice" and go almost full out, I still keep finishing as last.

Btw, I kept RT default now and only installed the 1.01 patch and not the realmod, because I read that with that mod the game is even more difficult.

Now I wonder what I am doing wrong. Any ideas ?

I also play RBR, which is considered as "difficult", and although I still have to learn and practice a lot, I get decent results there.
Rijnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 15, 00:35   #2
Rumbly

I installed it yesterday for the first time since 2006. It was easier than I remembered and I am already halfway through the expert championship. I didn't patch it though. I am using a G27 as well.

I think the reason you find it difficult is because most cars are rear wheel drive. It takes some getting used to if you're used to 4WD. Start off slowly with a FWD car such as the Mini, and when you're more comfortable with the game physics then pick the Volvo Amazon. Be gentle with the throttle and always be ready to countersteer.
Rumbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 15, 01:38   #3
Rijnton

Thanks Rumbly for your reply.
I think that I indeed have to get used to the cars. And of course I understand that it takes some practicing before I can finish at higher places.

But what strikes me is that even with the Mini, going at full speed and without crashing I stay at the last place already at the first few checkpoints. And that at the easiest setting "Novice".

I also tried "Arcade" mode and then as "Novice" it is rather easy to finish 1st. Or is Arcade a whole lot easier than Rally ?
Old 22 February 15, 02:42   #4
Rumbly

Well sometimes.. "going full speed" isn't the answer. Sometimes you have to go slowly to go fast. Take your time going the correct line through the bends. This is especially useful in RWD cars. FWD cars are a lot more forgiving when taking the wrong lines.

I haven't played arcade since my last install of the game, but from what I remember it's like rallycross? Several cars on a circuit simultaneously... I'm not entirely sure what they mean by arcade, they could have just called it rallycross. I don't think there's any difference in handling characteristics, but I could be wrong...
Old 22 February 15, 05:00   #5
jgf

Been a while since I played but i recall the arcade mode uses closed circuits and races of around five laps against an assortment of AI cars. I think there are three difficulty levels; on the easiest you'll win by a lap, the mid level is a decent race (if the murderous AI don't don't sideswipe you, rear end you, or plow into you when getting back on track ...basically they drive like you are not even there), the high level you'll lose by a lap. There's no qualifying, you start randomly in the pack.
jgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 15, 14:30   #6
Rumbly

I have been playing some arcade now.

No damage, starting from last position. Laps amounts to what you set up prior to starting the championship.

The graphics are also a little worse. I guess this is to keep the framerate up.

I didn't try it on novice, but I did complete it on the intermediate difficulty, and the AI was fast-ish, and very prone to mistakes - especially on narrow roads. On the expert difficulty even more so, because they really go for it. They drive very fast and very hard. But they are in no way unbeatable. Like jgf said though - they do kind of ignore the player, so don't be surprised when you get knocked off...
Old 22 February 15, 19:27   #7
Rijnton

Thanks again.
I will keep practicing and hope that I will get better.
Old 23 February 15, 03:19   #8
Rumbly

Let us know how it goes...

By the way, have you turned deadzone all the way down in controller options? Having deadzone in the steering can make things tricky.

If you want I can share my G27 settings and we could see whether they work better for you.
Old 17 March 15, 01:34   #9
LogRoad
Premium Member

Back in the wayback I used to play RT arcade with a keyboard, and of course practice and persistence do pay off. I played at the most difficult setting and with the Saab 96 V4 was able to win all the championships by restarting over and over and . . . Eventually all the AI drivers (including the Stratos) have a bad crash or two and provide opportunities for getting ahead. And of course your driving is getting better all the time. But it often seems like a gimme.

The Saab was the reason I bought the game. Had one for awhile (early 70's) and loved it. RT is the only game where I've seen it.
LogRoad is offline   Reply With Quote