NoGripRacing.com

Go Back   NoGripRacing Forums > General Discussion > Computech

Old 2 October 09, 06:53   #1
oregonmon

Default DIY bass shaker/butt kicker/rumble seat.

In another thread I was asking about doing a homemade buttkicker (bass transducer) and so after some research here's what I found and did. Thought I'd share since I think this is a great mod for racing sims.

I had an older Sony powered sub I beliieve it's 6 or 8 inch that I started with. Took it apart, removed the speaker and played around with it to see if the actual vibrations when mounted to my office chair/racing seat would have desired effects.

After it seemed this would work, I then moved forward with adding weight/resistance to the voice coil and in effect working against the magnet of the speaker. I went to the local hardware store to get the appropriate bits from looking at other photos on the web and seeing what was need for my application.

First I cut the paper of the speaker with a razor blade without touching the dust cap. Most other projects I've seen used a metal strap of sorts to support the bolt and add resistance to the magnet (I guess). I ended up using steel metal hanging straps that seemed a little thin but did do the trick. Then applied a layer of JB Weld to the dust cover and placed a bolt standing up and epoxyed it in, ready to add washers and mount metal strap.

I then started addidng large washers as weight. Finished by bolting that down. I used small nuts and bolts to secure the strap to the existing holes in the speaker frame.

At this point pretty much finished except for mounting so I decided to try it out by holding the speaker to the bottom of my seat. It was still working but it seemed the strap was restricting the movement and vibrations too much. So I decided to unbolt one side and that seemed to do the trick, which allowed much more movement but the added weight was causing more vibration.

Since the bolt and weights now sits higher than the top of the speaker frame it wouldn't screw up to the seat, so I used two peices of would to give clearance and drill a couple holes and used the other two existing holes in the speaker frame. Screwed down underneath my seat and wired it back up to the sub enclosure.
I use a Creative G51 surround system and using a RCA plug splitter tapped into that. I have level adjustement and 50mhz-200mhz cut off adjustment to play with also.
Using GTR2 is great ESPECIALLY the Power and Glory mod with the classics. Big V8s are awesome and so are the Porsche flat 6s'. Porsche Cup cars feel great too.
It adds a lot, rumble strips/F1 curbs, backfires, engine, road vibration, etc...

Hope this helps someone as these boards always help me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker1.jpg (96.1 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg speaker2.jpg (122.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg speaker3.jpg (134.0 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg speaker4.jpg (139.9 KB, 239 views)
oregonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 09, 00:57   #2
freddie

Well done - that was very clever of you - using the washers instead of lead weights. The use of a powered sub bass was also a good idea - I got stuck when all I had laying around where a bunch of 4 ohm speakers and an old receiver with speaker outputs rated at 8 ohms, meaning I would have to use two in series just to attempt this. I'm sure this will encourage others to give this a shot.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 09, 05:02   #3
oregonmon

Thanks, I've been holding onto to these surround speakers for so years, never knew what I'd do with them since the receiver went kapoot. But, it was a perfect use. Now, just need to build that pvc cockpit.
Old 7 October 09, 21:45   #4
freddie

I hope that others will at least try to add a tactile transducer to their seats - before adding mine, the driving experience was rather sterile.
In everyday driving you always notice that there is quite a bit of road rumble and tactile sensations through your seat and steering wheel. But in a racing sim, sitting in a stationary chair with no additional tactile impute reduces the immersion into the sim.
When I first added bass shakers to my driving seat, I could not believe the immediate improvement in the total experience. After a while I noticed that the steering wheel and pedals then felt isolated, so I added another shaker to the steering wheel/pedal mount, now everything shakes, just like driving on the road - will never turn the shakers off.
I hope that others will at least give the homemade versions a shot or buy some used shakes like I did, its definitely worth the resulting immersion in all driving sims - thanks again for posting your efforts.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 09, 02:20   #5
oregonmon

Plus, may I add, purpose built race cars surely vibrate and shake more than street cars do. Even sports cars transmit more vibration due to stiff susupension and shorter tire side walls.
After doing this mod, I got in my 79 911 and took a second how much vibration came through. It made me take a moment to feel the road again.